Forums > Social Chat > The Death of a Fire Scene...

Login/Join to Participate
Page:
NYCNYC
9,232 posts

Posted:
I've said it before and I'll say it again: I certainly don't represent the New York City fire scene. I'm a small fish in what was once a large pond. I'm not a great spinner by any means and do it as a hobby solely because it makes me happy.

But I am here to sadly report the death of the New York City Fire Community as I knew it. There are still remnants of it. The performance group that I hang with is alive and well. But the scene is dead as far as I can tell. Either that, or they're all hiding extremely well.

For those of you that saw "tribe of the burning sock" on COL1 you'll know that there was a huge scene at one time about a year and a half ago. People would show up in droves to spin, it would be a social scene as well as a fire scene. Weekly, sometimes more often, we'd meet up at local parks and such. Even having a brief civil war as one faction of our group split off to find another park since the original park was too out of the way.

Life was grand. Us newbies were wide eyed and giggly. The vets were inspiring. Everyone lit up at least once a night, even just to say they did. The biggest worries were those fuel mooches ("Hi, I just brought a thimble full of fuel and have 9 foot wicks, can I borrow some of yours?")

But then the weather got cold and our park got shut down after 9/11 and I spent the summer away and when I got back, it was gone. I've still yet to find it. I honestly don't think those people are spinning anymore.

I know it's winter and most spinners hibernate in the cold weather but I won't keep my fingers crossed to see what thaws out in the spring. I really think my city is dead to firespinning. I'm sure there are a few independant spinners out there that I haven't met. Heck, maybe I'll try the "meet others" section. Or maybe they'll see my post and tell me where they've all been hiding.

Sad news indeed, and I hope it never happens to your community.

So for those of you planning your world tours of fire spinning communities... skip New York City. It's dead.

Well, shall we go?
Yes, let's go.
[They do not move.]

ivan..member
165 posts

Posted:
well , it is sad that the large group you once had is small now , but be thankfull you have a small group

some have no one to spin with or learn from .. so in comparison to some you have a great advantage

it's never pleasant wen the hey days sorta slide but thats just the way the earth rolls ....

i gues that means you have to love your mates a bit more eh?

pax,
ivan

thats right i look like an albino ape that has had a bad day.. go ahead say something stupid... i dare ya !

NYCNYC
9,232 posts

Posted:
Oops, wait... I didn't mean for this to be a whine about the good old days OR a ploy for sympathy. I'm more surprised that the scene has just vanished than depressed about the loss of it. More of an interesting, though sad, demographical study of the extinction of a community...

There are very few people that I look to for inspiration and instruction and they're all spinning (or don't live in New York!)

Sorry, my orignal post did reak of whineyness whish wasn't my intent.

Well, shall we go?
Yes, let's go.
[They do not move.]

flash fireBRONZE Member
Sporadically Prodigal
2,758 posts

Posted:
so, NYC, would you officially say that the official NYC fire scene is officially dead?

could it be that the fad has passed and left the core in its wake?

*looks to next big thing* What's that? the 80's are back in fashion? Let me just grab my hairspray, g-string fluro leotard and I'll see you at the jane fonda jazzercise class

no really, I lament for your loss of scene.... but some things are best left underground.

HoP Posting Guidelines
Is it the Truth?
Is it Fair to all concerned?
Will it build Goodwill and Better Friendships?
Will it be Beneficial to all concerned?
If you can answer YES to these 4 questions then you may post a reply.

PukSILVER Member
Sweet talented nutter
2,615 posts

Posted:
How can it be dead In the Big Apple!!!

No it cant be true .

Im sure if you twirl they will come

Especally with the tribe of the burning sock there
there just dorminate .

They'll be back ( when eminem get's out of Rap!)

Anyperson can acheive anything if he dosn't have fear in his heart!.

that shrewd and knavish sprite

Called Robin Good Fellow ; are you not he that is frighten of the maidens of the villagery - fairy

I am the merry wander of the night -puk

PeleBRONZE Member
the henna lady
6,193 posts

Posted:
I think it is a testament to the fad nature of the beast as well. I seem to recall alot of the NYC posters having more of a rave culture base, which has proven itself to cycle through things. It's not bad, it's just the way things work. Looks like you'll have to travel a bit more to find the like minded peeps. *hand on forehead* Oh the lamentation of it!

In the end it is probably for the best anyway. Now you remaining ones can really develope personal style without the crowding of the masses and not have to worry about fire control as much as just enjoying what you do. There is always a bright side sweetie!

FF, LOL, yeah...I'll go get my blue lace ankle socks with pink high heels and racoon make-up and meet you at the gates for the ZZTOP concert!

Pele
Higher, higher burning fire...making music like a choir
"Oooh look! A pub!" -exclaimed after recovering from a stupid fall
"And for the decadence of art, nothing beats a roaring fire." -TMK

NYCNYC
9,232 posts

Posted:
Flash... What the heck are you talking about? Are you really attacking me out of nowhere for my comments on your "official thread" months ago? I'm confused about your obvious word choice. I promised not to use the word "official" in any post and have not and will not. Why would you bring that up?

Pele, True-most of the posters here (two?) were rave based but the large community that you saw and met had not an inkling of rave in them.

I guess I just liked being a small fish in a big pond. It drew attention away from myself and allowed me to spin casually. Now, I need to be a ringleader if I want to get something going. Or literally do it alone.

I know there are a few. I know that I'm fortunate to have that much. I just found it strange...

Well, shall we go?
Yes, let's go.
[They do not move.]

dromepixieveteran
1,463 posts

Posted:
NYC:
Not trying to intrude but I dont think that Flash was being too rude. Lets not start this again. by this I mean all of us... The thread you speak of was more recent than a month ago and if you are still fussed about it (as i was) you can just chat privately about it.

She wasnt trying to attack you (to the best of my knowledge) so dont get so annoyed because she chose to post a comment that might not have been supportive of yours...

Lets not be rude to each other anymore!

Love to all
drome

JUGGLEwithyourmind!

poiaholic22member
531 posts

Posted:
On the other hand with the fire scene dead in NY you're still the small fish.Now you're just in a small pond.Who pays attention to small ponds?It's not cool that people aren't spinning as much becuz it makes it hard to learn new stuff but on the bright side it weeds out those with no real love of the culture.For example,look at the techno scene.There is the mainstream scene and the underground scene.You know the difference.Besides this gives you the opportunity to breathe life back into something that could become what it once was again.

poiaholic22member
531 posts

Posted:
Also it could be worse.You could be from Connecticut.

Nyxenthusiast
385 posts

Posted:
ya ya, quit your bitchin!

so there's no scene in NYC? well that just means you have to scoot on over to CT every saturday, where the scene is growing by the week!
come one, come all....

"Dancing can reveal all the mystery that music conceals"

~Charles Baudelaire

Nyxenthusiast
385 posts

Posted:
Excuse me Mr. Mohawk!!!!! Don't think you can hide behind your alias! I've worked damn hard developing a fire scene in this crummy state and it hasn't been easy! I have to lure them in from other states because there are so few of us actually living in Ct!
Hmmm, let's see, this weekend we've got NY, PA, MA, RI all represented in CT!!!!
And for any of you HoPers who might be interested, the club we've been at every saturday streams live on the web...will post a link before this saturday! Mostly glow, but starting with small fire (eating, etc) this saturday...working them up to full-blown fire performance!

~Charles Baudelaire

NothingsPerfectmember
79 posts

Posted:
And speaking of this Saturday, Ms. Nyx, don't forget to inform your newest NE Poi member of how exactly to get to where it is he needs to be. (Uh...that'd be me...Dan.. ) I'll definitely be coming and bringing a few spectators along. C-ya soon and Merry Xmas all.

~And when the day arrives I'll become the sky, and I'll become the sea, and the sea will come to kiss me for I am going home. Nothing can stop me now.~

Nyxenthusiast
385 posts

Posted:
Hey! I thought you were BrokenDream on HoP? Changing your name? Anyway, no, I haven't forgotten...i'll be lounging around all day tomorrow and will write directions out for ya then!
And see that Mr. Mohawk! Three of us CT spinners on here at once!!! And it all started with me and Kyri, "the girls next door"!

~Charles Baudelaire

poiaholic22member
531 posts

Posted:
Mr. Mohawk?I wish I had thought of that.By the way you are doing an admirable job of trying to make CT a cool place to be.
Merry Christmas

NYCNYC
9,232 posts

Posted:
Chill guys, Flash and I are cool. I just didn't understand why she'd bring that up in that way. I'm not going to spread hate or nothin... Besides my post didn't call anyone rude, it just asked for an explanation. I made no statements, only inquired as to the motivation for comments. Thanks everyone for attempting to de-escalate crazy NYC.

Yeah, yeah Nyxy, you started it all, you rock... malookatme, malookatme, malookatmeeeeee!

I'll be seeing you and Captain Mowhawk this weekend. Happy Christmas you Fidiots.

Well, shall we go?
Yes, let's go.
[They do not move.]

arashiPooh-Bah
2,364 posts

Posted:
hear me now!
the soothsayer prophesizisez-z-z!
this will all blow over, and the fad will die, and who will be left? the diehard circus fire FREAKS, those noble beasts who in toil and sacrifices grandiose and lamentable brought the flame in prometheusian splendor to the piteous, accursed, poisoned world of 1984...
and the freaks shall unite, and work for arashi, and obey his every whim, and gorgeous fruits they will bear and reap of it;

oh yeah and beware the brides of march

-Such a price the gods exact for song: to become what we sing
-Seek freedom and become captive of your desires. Seek discipline and find your liberty.
-When the center of the storm does not move, you are in its path.

Nyxenthusiast
385 posts

Posted:
must...go...work.......for.........Arashi........cannot........resist....!

~Charles Baudelaire

flash fireBRONZE Member
Sporadically Prodigal
2,758 posts

Posted:
NYC - was just my sense of humour shining through - have tendencies to use reference humour in an extremely facetious way at times. Apologies for the confusion, I just felt that you would perhaps understand it, officially speaking of course....

HoP Posting Guidelines
Is it the Truth?
Is it Fair to all concerned?
Will it build Goodwill and Better Friendships?
Will it be Beneficial to all concerned?
If you can answer YES to these 4 questions then you may post a reply.

PeleBRONZE Member
the henna lady
6,193 posts

Posted:
Can't...help...it....*bows before Arashi*...oh great fire god...I will do thy inspired bidding as one of the zombie freaks from the circus....

..And while I'm down here...

You know NYC, you can always go keep, which one is it, Code128 that is staying in Boston, long after the rest of Anthelion flee the country? Then you can let the firey whisps of your poi dry your tears!

Pele

Nyxenthusiast
385 posts

Posted:
quote:
You know NYC, you can always go keep, which one is it, Code128 that is staying in Boston, long after the rest of Anthelion flee the country? Then you can let the firey whisps of your poi dry your tears!
okay, i just don't get this reference at all and it's piquing my curiosity enough to ask, what do you mean?

~Charles Baudelaire

PeleBRONZE Member
the henna lady
6,193 posts

Posted:
Nyx, some of the members of Anthelion (the group from Boston) are going thier own ways. For example, Nomad will be returning to France in spring. He has commented that one of the members will be remaining in Boston, and my comment was that NYC could travel up to spin with him, maybe get a multi-city thing working, and the heat from their poi will dry his tears of loneliness. That's all....*shrug*

Pele

arashiPooh-Bah
2,364 posts

Posted:
nyc... look up "le skunk"
he's a cool cat from new york, he's got a whole crew that's probably doing stuff...

-Seek freedom and become captive of your desires. Seek discipline and find your liberty.

Nyxenthusiast
385 posts

Posted:
Ahhh, i get it now!
Bummer, i didn't know that Nomad was going back to France Maybe i'll go visit them for First Night...

I think NYC knows skunk already...

~Charles Baudelaire

SteelWngsBRONZE Member
169 posts

Posted:
Hey Nyx, need a first night button?

I might be able to come up with a few extras.

And as for the Fire community in the "New England" area. This summer I'm trying to set up a little get together with Earth Drum council and every fire spinner that I know for an evening.

*Dreaming* of 100 hand-drummers and as many fire people as I can get togher in one night.

Blessings to all,
Peter
When you find yourself in the company of a halfling and an ill-tempered Dragon, remember, you do not have to outrun the Dragon ...you just have to outrun the halfling.

arashiPooh-Bah
2,364 posts

Posted:
nyx, darling, *ahem* it doesn't sound to me like you are "chomping at the bit" to get to california...
getting settled in there, in the mainelands, eh?
fine we'll just have to go east this spring ... darnit i really like california, there's belly dancers galore over there ...

and well wouldn't you know it i'm probably putting my foot in my mouth again ...is nyc in 1337 or what?
reward for most use of the goes to arashi

Raphael96SILVER Member
old hand
899 posts

Posted:
I sure hope things get going again by the time I move back home to NYC in 2004..

It would suck otherwise.

Raph

Nyxenthusiast
385 posts

Posted:
(EDIT!!! OOPS, this is really NYC... I just noticed that the computer accidentally signed on as Nyx as I've crashed at her place this weekend... But I'll keep it because it makes me feel sneaky... )

Hee Hee, Thanks Arashi... that is my crew indeed. 1337 is alive and well. We did the Lord of the Rings promo party that I posted about. I don't get to perform with them as much as I'd like becuse they're always spinning at ungodly hours of the night and I've got to get up at 5:45 to teach HS.

I haven't seen any other spinner in New York in months.

Gotta run, Nyx has got to go to work and I gotta remember to get my fire stuff out of her car this time.

-NYC

[ 30. December 2002, 08:45: Message edited by: Nyx ]

~Charles Baudelaire

CassandraFroggie ... Ribbit !!!
4,224 posts

Posted:
NYC/Nyx, happy to red you find your fire friends
sorry about the NY scene though, things will improve when spring wcomes back i am sure

Shine on
cass

"I want brown bread... no, that is diesel oil..."
"So I was raised in Europe, where History comes from ..."
"NON !!! La Plume de mon oncle n est pas Bingibangibungi !!!"

Nyxenthusiast
385 posts

Posted:
*note: this is the REAL Nyx!!*

Um, SteelWngs.... I probably know you...I do the whole EDC thing with Jimi & Morwen....small world! send me an e-mail if you want and we'll figure out who we are!

Arashi....as for settling in, no, not really but there are always new developments....even if i don't make it permanently to Cali this summer i will be driving out there anyway and staying through most of August and finishing at Burning Man so get your ready!!!!!

~Charles Baudelaire

NYCNYC
9,232 posts

Posted:
[Oh crap, Nyxy's got her paddle out again...]

Well, shall we go?
Yes, let's go.
[They do not move.]

Page: