Page:
DomBRONZE Member
Carpal \'Tunnel
3,009 posts

Posted:
Welcome to the new look Home of Poi!

You may need to hit refresh a couple of times, especially on the board. If the menu is white then this is probably the reason. hopefully!

Also note that the board has different display options that can be set in the [Old link] page. I'm still testing them all but there are a couple of options that might appeal to people:

HoP Alternate: different link colours and greyer (!)

HoP Bigger Text: for larger text.

HoP (Old & Grey): for nostalgic reason

Everybody like different things and we'll be keeping an eye on how many people use each option, so your vote counts!

I'd like to clarify that the only thing that has changed is the look. The structure and function of Home of Poi is unchanged from what it was yesterday.

Why the change?

Malcolm's been talking about wanting to move away from the grey look for quite a while, but neither myself or others have been able to come up with a new look that worked. There was something historic about the grey that defied the desire to remove it. Then Malcolm and I finally sat side by side in front of a computer in the Home of Poi lounge and started looking into what could be done. The site works as is so we immediately decided to keep the structure intact and work closely with what we had.

The result is something I believe does everything that we set out to achieve: a simple and classic design that lightens your screen and presents Home of Poi in a more professional light whilst retaining the layout, style and functionality we're all used to.

We hope that you'll all agree that this is a good move forward, although we're well aware that many people don't like big changes and will take time to settle into the new look. But compared to the last couple of changes this has been a lot easier! That comfy sofa with a depression the shape of your butt is still right there, we're just thrown a new cover over it.

If you do see anything on the site that isn't right please PM Malcolm or me to let us know and we'll sort it out as soon as we can. We'll also be making the occasional tweak here and there as we go along. My main concern is that there's a herd of random characters in the code courtesy of Seven, the Home of Poi cat, who really didn't like being ignored when I was coding!

Once again, thank you all for making Home of Poi what it is: a community. And many thanks to Malcolm, Cherry and little Jesse who gets extra thanks for all crumbled biscuits, wooden blocks and DVDs he's presented me over the past week! Thanks to him I know most of the "Blue's Clues" songs!

Dom smile

EDITED_BY: Dom (1142209635)

RyGOLD Member
Gromit's Humble Squire
4,496 posts

Posted:
Written by: newgabe

The quotes do look a bit odd in the new 'default' skin. I never did like the old grey look. Depressing. (Honestly Ry!! Brighten up!!) or if it's too glary, turn the monitor glare down a bit... or try the *alternative* it's a bit duller...

Gabe: Monitor brightness or contrast should never have to be turned up or turned down on the basis of a single website. After calibration, that's how it's supposed to stay. Especially if whether you're in business rides on whether the images you see on your screen are true to the actual information there is in the data.

When I saw that much white screen upon logging on this morning, by reflex I felt the site was too bright in relation to other websites I visit, not to mention the way an image file displays correctly on my monitor. Anyway. I've switched it back to the old grey because it works for me.

ps. A link should help explain the problem, in terms of the parallel issue of colour management:

https://www.colorvision.ch/learnmore/

LazyAngelGOLD Member
Carpal \'Tunnel
2,895 posts

Posted:
wow! what an amazing selection of settings! I was in shock for about 10 seconds when I logged on!

But ditto, I found the white stuff too bright (although I did try the other settings, wild was mad, greenday was quite nice) and now I'm back to good ol' grey!

Thanks for the choice though!

Because ActiveAngel sounds like a feminine deodorant

Like sex, I'm much more interesting in real life than online.

'Be the change you want to see in the world around you' - Ghandi

BirdGOLD Member
now available in "advanced"
6,086 posts

Posted:
First impressions--> big thumbs up from me!

I'll have a proper play around when I'm not at work, but it looks sweet!

Good work guys! hug

My state of mind is not yours to define!

There is a very fine line between "hobby" and "mental illness."

ValuraSILVER Member
Mumma Hen
6,391 posts

Posted:
biggrin biggrin biggrin biggrin biggrin

I like this.... I like this a lot! biggrin biggrin biggrin

*wiggles*

hug hug hug

TAJ "boat mummy." VALURA "yes sweetie you went on a boat, was daddy there with you?" TAJ "no, but monkey on boat" VALURA "well then sweetie, Daddy WAS there with you"

DomBRONZE Member
Carpal \'Tunnel
3,009 posts

Posted:
Hi everyone!

Thanks for all your comments. We're not ignoring you, we've just had a really bad internet connection today & this evening. How backward is New Zealand?! They ain't had the broadband revolution yet and I'm really feeling it.

It's late o'clock here and we'll be going through all your posts, PMs and emails tomorrow to see what we need to do to keep most of the people happy some of the time. We'll probably work on the glare issue for the board. Anyone actually look at other parts of the site wink

hug

Hanzveteran
1,328 posts

Posted:
just letting you know... Im back onto Old Grey

spiralxveteran
1,376 posts

Posted:
In general it looks nice - HoP definitly did look pretty dated (unfortunately having the worst BB software of any site out there doesn't help). However the white background is definitely too bright and I'm not liking the Arial used in the comments. And the text in this box is too small wink

However this may just get me to write a Greasemonkey script to modify the site to how I want it wink

But definitely thumbs up overall!

"Moo," said the happy cow.

fNiGOLD Member
master of disaster
3,354 posts

Posted:
the man's....a man! no longer a stick figure ubblol

kyrian: I've felt your finger connect with me many times
lou kitten: sneaky little meatball..
ezz: please corrupt me more

roarfireSILVER Member
comfortably numb
2,676 posts

Posted:
Can't say I'm a huge fan of the new look sorry! frown

But I can live with it smile

.All things are beautiful if we take the time to look.

Fine_Rabid_DogInternet Hate Machine
10,530 posts

Posted:
I\'m back to the old gray as well. I guess it grew on me. smile

The existance of flamethrowers says that someone, somewhere, at sometime said "I need to set that thing on fire, but it's too far away."

Gayle......!SILVER Member
Pooh-Bah
2,444 posts

Posted:
i really like it. I use Greenday and there's not that many differences.

Gayle.....!

SkulduggeryGOLD Member
Pirate Pixie Crew Captain
8,428 posts

Posted:
Come on now people, now its so brilliant white it reminds me of very expensive labs. I could slip on my lab coat and experiment on you all ubblol How exciting would that be. Clinical HoP produces the first cloned Poi Spinner biggrin

Feed me Chocolate!!! Feed me NOW!

SethisBRONZE Member
Pooh-Bah
1,762 posts

Posted:
I never liked the old grey anyway... that's why I used the teal colour scheme (and still do). It looks pretty good with the new colours, but it's strange to see a different font in all the boxes. I think I preferred the old font.

My little thoughts. Still works for me! Well done! smile

After much consideration, I find that the view is worth the asphyxiation.
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
I may disagree with what you have to say, but I will defend to the death your right to say it.

Boo_BunnyBRONZE Member
Sparkely arty Mormon rainbow fairy
933 posts

Posted:
I like the new improved HoP. Its all swrily at the top and white at the bottom biggrin

the is one problem though. at the top where it says Home, Community, Articals, Go Shopping etc. they used to be in seprate tabs and now there all just one long line of words. 'tis a bit confusing.

Property of Fine_Rabid_Dog

SkulduggeryGOLD Member
8,428 posts

Posted:
Try hitting the refresh button Boo.

ben-ja-menGOLD Member
just lost .... evil init
2,474 posts

Posted:
Written by: Skulduggery

Clinical HoP produces the first cloned Poi Spinner biggrin

i miss read that as Clinical HoP produces the first stoned Poi Spinner
ubblol

i like the new look im finding the new post colouring a bit hard to wrap my head around though, perhaps new posts could go back to the different colour system

Our deepest fear is not that we are inadequate. Our deepest fear is that we are powerful beyond measure. It is our light, not our darkness that most frightens us. We ask ourself, who am I to be brilliant, gorgeous and talented? Who are you NOT to be?

jeff(fake)Scientist of Fortune
1,189 posts

Posted:
I leave for two day...TWO DAYS and the whole thing changes!!!

According to Heisenberg's Uncertainty Principle of Quantum Dynamics, we may already be making love right now...

NYCNYC
9,232 posts

Posted:
On behalf of everyone (Whom I shouldn't really talk for) I can say to Dom and Malcom:

Whether or not we like all the changes, we certainly do appreciate the efforts.

biggrin

I think it is more consistant with other forums on the internet and therefore more welcoming to newbies. And giving us the option to change it is perfect. Everybody wins. smile

Well, shall we go?
Yes, let's go.
[They do not move.]

Fine_Rabid_DogInternet Hate Machine
10,530 posts

Posted:
ditto

biggrin

The existance of flamethrowers says that someone, somewhere, at sometime said "I need to set that thing on fire, but it's too far away."

NYCNYC
9,232 posts

Posted:
(I feel a bit like I'm beta testing so excuse my 'report' type posts!)

I still am confused by the manner in which NewHoP denotes 'read' threads.

If you go to intros and haven't read the first 20 threads in a while they will alternate white/grey and the font is bold.

Then if you read one, the bold font changes to regular and the thread changes to white. The bold makes sense but the white/grey turning to white is confusing. I read Bluecat's intro which was originally white and it stayed white (granted the bold was gone) but then I read the thread above his and it turned from grey to white.

In short, when we HoPers are skimming it's nice to have a less visually confusing way of seeking out threads we haven't read.

If a thread is grey, I know I haven't read it. If it's white, I don't know. Again, I know about the boldness but that's harder to skim for than the grey which makes it confusing.

I hope I explained it better this time.

hug

Well, shall we go?
Yes, let's go.
[They do not move.]

spritieSILVER Member
Pooh-Bah
2,014 posts

Posted:
I concur with NYC on the gray/white read issue. It's a tad confusing. It's also part of the reason that I went back to the HOP gray. The other reasons are that it isn't so bright on my screen and that I can get bigger text. The new font is kinda small, so I like the option of bigger text, but that still had the glaring white which for this early in the morning is more than my eyes wanted to deal with.

UCOFSILVER Member
15,417 posts

Posted:
I slightly confused by what everyone says appears to have happened confused

I use, and will always use, the colouring style "desert".
Everything else either looks boring and depresing (grey) or makes me want to throw up (the one with all the uv colours) eek

This morning when I opened firefox, I saw the different title bit and went "oooooh". Theres a watermark picture with swirls in black and red. The bar below that is grey, and the bar below that is lilac/ light purple.
Theres also a new line going across the top of the page.

Apart from that, I cant see anything in bold or any white/ grey alternating lines. My lines are differnt shades of blue... shrug

Apart from that, everything pretty much looks the same... umm
What am I missing? frown

spiralxveteran
1,376 posts

Posted:
If you're using Firefox and you'd like it a bit greyer...

[Old link]

smile

"Moo," said the happy cow.

oliSILVER Member
not with cactus
2,052 posts

Posted:
i never liked the grey... i had mines set to a kinda creamy and blue version.. that hasnt changed, except ive got a search gallery link now which is useful smile , the rest of the site looks very white though...

Me train running low on soul coal
They push+pull tactics are driving me loco
They shouldn't do that no no no

spritieSILVER Member
Pooh-Bah
2,014 posts

Posted:
Ohhh...the search gallery is nifty! I like that one, thanks Malcolm & Dom!

NYCNYC
9,232 posts

Posted:
Written by: UraniumChipOxidationFacility

I slightly confused by what everyone says appears to have happened confused

I use, and will always use, the colouring style "desert".

Well if you'd like to know what everyone is talking about then perhaps you could shift to the default setting for a second.

(Refrains from using the word "Dumbass" wink wink wink )

Well, shall we go?
Yes, let's go.
[They do not move.]

SkulduggeryGOLD Member
8,428 posts

Posted:
Can I make a request? On my home page I have a list of favorite threads that when someone posts into them it marks them with a little sign next to them that says 'new'. At the moment when it does that it moves the thread in question to the bottom of the list. Is it possible in any way to get it to move them to the top instead.

Maybe there is already a way to do this that I don't know about, but if there isn't would it be a hard thing to do to make it do that?

Pink...?BRONZE Member
Mistress of Pink...Multicoloured
6,140 posts

Posted:
I like the new look... however, i had to change my settings to "old and grey"...

What can i say, i'm not good at change ubbangel

I do love the new backdrop for the thinggy at the top.

Never pick up a duck in a dungeon...

Loki_the_tricksterSILVER Member
Has sharp edges
1,266 posts

Posted:
eekwhen I first signed on I thought there was something wrong with my compy........I closed my window and reentered like 4 or 5 times then gave up and then I found this thread.......the change to the top banner is great but I must say that I tried the new look for awhile but I went back to the old grey HoP look .....It just didnt feel like home in white. Thanks Dom and Malcolm for all your hard work we all appreciate your efforts biggrin

My ADD makes it so that.....Ooooo SHINY.....wanna go ride bikes....wait....where am I.....

KyrianDreamer
4,308 posts

Posted:
I had to give in and go back to the default, its what makes HoP special... Ok, its only been four years, not five, but basically I agree with mike. (Ah resistant to change we are! I nearly had a conniption fit having to use Sethis's funky coloured account... before I decided to log myself in and out instead! I am a dork dork dork dork dork.)

But I have a suggestion. I think the alternate should be the default and the default should be the alternate, because the default, whilst fun, is going to be too glary for some people and imo the alternate solves this problem, sooooo... yeah, it just makes more sense that way!

(Incidentally the alternate doesn't have the problem with the !'s being funky either)

edit: I am now playing happily with the alternate for the time being, as it really just is brighter!!
EDITED_BY: Kyrian (1142311481)

Keep your dream alive
Dreamin is still how the strong survive

Shalom VeAhavah

New Hampshire has a point....

Page: