Page:
DomBRONZE Member
Carpal \'Tunnel
3,009 posts

Posted:
Welcome to the new look Home of Poi!

You may need to hit refresh a couple of times, especially on the board. If the menu is white then this is probably the reason. hopefully!

Also note that the board has different display options that can be set in the [Old link] page. I'm still testing them all but there are a couple of options that might appeal to people:

HoP Alternate: different link colours and greyer (!)

HoP Bigger Text: for larger text.

HoP (Old & Grey): for nostalgic reason

Everybody like different things and we'll be keeping an eye on how many people use each option, so your vote counts!

I'd like to clarify that the only thing that has changed is the look. The structure and function of Home of Poi is unchanged from what it was yesterday.

Why the change?

Malcolm's been talking about wanting to move away from the grey look for quite a while, but neither myself or others have been able to come up with a new look that worked. There was something historic about the grey that defied the desire to remove it. Then Malcolm and I finally sat side by side in front of a computer in the Home of Poi lounge and started looking into what could be done. The site works as is so we immediately decided to keep the structure intact and work closely with what we had.

The result is something I believe does everything that we set out to achieve: a simple and classic design that lightens your screen and presents Home of Poi in a more professional light whilst retaining the layout, style and functionality we're all used to.

We hope that you'll all agree that this is a good move forward, although we're well aware that many people don't like big changes and will take time to settle into the new look. But compared to the last couple of changes this has been a lot easier! That comfy sofa with a depression the shape of your butt is still right there, we're just thrown a new cover over it.

If you do see anything on the site that isn't right please PM Malcolm or me to let us know and we'll sort it out as soon as we can. We'll also be making the occasional tweak here and there as we go along. My main concern is that there's a herd of random characters in the code courtesy of Seven, the Home of Poi cat, who really didn't like being ignored when I was coding!

Once again, thank you all for making Home of Poi what it is: a community. And many thanks to Malcolm, Cherry and little Jesse who gets extra thanks for all crumbled biscuits, wooden blocks and DVDs he's presented me over the past week! Thanks to him I know most of the "Blue's Clues" songs!

Dom smile

EDITED_BY: Dom (1142209635)

KyrianDreamer
4,308 posts

Posted:
*Ker-thud*
To be honest I've been one of the first people to whine anytime anyone tries to take my HoP gray away. Its.... its... HoP. But oddly when I looked at it (courtesy fNi pointing me here, I havn't been on in about a week or so) it still looked like HoP, just, subtely, different.
And amazingly enough the subtle difference feels positive and HoP-like, even tho it still screams the word different at me.
But it *so* works. Congrats guys, its wonderful.
grouphug
Always,
K

Keep your dream alive
Dreamin is still how the strong survive

Shalom VeAhavah

New Hampshire has a point....

SunnySammySILVER Member
Watching the Sky
453 posts

Posted:
Me likey smile

Well done guys, it looks great!

cool

sunny
I jumped into the river, what did i see?
Black-eyed angels swam with me. wink

SkulduggeryGOLD Member
Pirate Pixie Crew Captain
8,428 posts

Posted:
I'm in the green setting on HoP and now can't see any of the buttons at the top as its white on white lettering. How will I know where to press when I want to shop eek ubblol

Feed me Chocolate!!! Feed me NOW!

KaelGotRiceGOLD Member
Basu gasu bakuhatsu - because sometimes buses explode
1,584 posts

Posted:
^ hit the refresh button, I had that issue as well.

Looks great HoP team smile

To do: More Firedrums 08 video?

Wildfire/US East coast fire footage

LA/EDC glow/fire footage

Fresno fire

Hanzveteran
1,328 posts

Posted:
I decided I should check in on the MB and came across a white screen, I thought 'hmm, hasnt loaded properly' so I pressed refresh a few times to get it to load properly (aka, gray screen) but it didnt change! then saw this thread...

To be honest, I don't know what to think... I will admit, I liked the gray, was nicer on the eyes (not as glary) but Im sure I will get used to the change... I hope

ARGH! when I posted I didnt get to preview my post like I usually do... odd

But thanks to Mal and Dom for trying to make this place move forward
EDITED_BY: Hanz (1142207177)

SkulduggeryGOLD Member
Pirate Pixie Crew Captain
8,428 posts

Posted:
Ah ha! Thank you Kael hug thats much better. Now I can see all the tabs and stuff I'm happy. biggrin

Feed me Chocolate!!! Feed me NOW!

NYCNYC
9,232 posts

Posted:
I liked the old days before the internet when Malcolm would individually call us up and read whatever posts were posted that day. wink

I'm sure I'll get used to the new look.

The font is smaller on my screen. And it sort of looks a bit more like "every other internet site" now with the white on white but I'll always adapt with a smile.

And Skully go to bed it's past your bedtime.

Well, shall we go?
Yes, let's go.
[They do not move.]

flash fireBRONZE Member
Sporadically Prodigal
2,758 posts

Posted:
We fear change... I thought that we made that perfectly clear!!

wink

Love the work guys... I nearly fell off my chair when I saw it though - been looking at incarnations of the same styling for many years now. smile Like NYC, however, the font looks very small and given that genetics did me no favours with eyesight, I have to lean in a bit to read it clearly.

HoP Posting Guidelines
Is it the Truth?
Is it Fair to all concerned?
Will it build Goodwill and Better Friendships?
Will it be Beneficial to all concerned?
If you can answer YES to these 4 questions then you may post a reply.

KyrianDreamer
4,308 posts

Posted:
I actually find the smaller font easier on my eyes. Perhaps because its a little wider? In any event it makes me more happy than the old font, but I must be a weird person (I have crap eyesight too umm)

Keep your dream alive
Dreamin is still how the strong survive

Shalom VeAhavah

New Hampshire has a point....

FireByNiteSILVER Member
Are you up for it??
349 posts

Posted:
Nice look. Just had to turn down the brightness a bit on the monitor clap Well done

Are you up for it?
wink;)

RicheeBRONZE Member
HOP librarian
1,841 posts

Posted:
Gallery jumps into diffrent adjustment. Othervise positive change.

Firefox 1.5.0.1 1024*768

Edit: Its because I dint use pictures and colors,

and multimedia links are shown as one line URL

and it change the layout.

:R
EDITED_BY: Richee (1142209054)

POI THEO(R)IST

AsenaGOLD Member
What a Bummer
3,224 posts

Posted:
ooooh purdy smile

IgirisujinSILVER Member
Carpal \'Tunnel
2,666 posts

Posted:
I love the new colour theme. Its clean and modern looking, a nice simple bright screen that fully shows off the black writting, much better thna they grey. Love the lilac/purple palmer violet colours at the top of the page too and that pretty pattern, also shows off the random popular image picture more.

Best look ever!

Chief adviser to the Pharaoh, in one very snazzy mutli-coloured coat

'Time goes by so slowly for those who wait...' - Whatever Happend To Baby Madonna?

DomBRONZE Member
Carpal \'Tunnel
3,009 posts

Posted:
Quickly about the board (I'm a bit busy and I haven't even hung my washing out to dry yet!)

The board has different display options that can be set in the [Old link] page. I'm still testing them all but there are a couple of options that might appeal to people:

HoP Alternate: different link colours and greyer (!)
HoP Bigger Text: for larger text.
HoP (Old & Grey): for nostalgic reason

Everybody like different things and we'll be keeping an eye on how many people use each option, so your vote counts!

NYCNYC
9,232 posts

Posted:
Written by: Dom

I think that only works if people know about it and I don't think many do. Plus there's the lazy factor.

But if I change my look then Molly and I won't accidentally post on each other's account when we're using the same computer.

smile

Well, shall we go?
Yes, let's go.
[They do not move.]

NYCNYC
9,232 posts

Posted:
Oh, the quotes look strange.

And new option of "Add thread to my favorites" is in a new place by bing right next to the preview option when one posts.

Well, shall we go?
Yes, let's go.
[They do not move.]

NYCNYC
9,232 posts

Posted:
And I found a quirk. The light grey/white alternatingness of unread posts is strange in contrast with the whiteness of the read posts.

So the thread is bold if you haven't read it/is new... but the white/grey alternatingness is strange. If you go to the 'intros' thread you'll probably see what I mean. They're alternating to a point and then just white. Unless you've read them. Then they're white.

OK, not well explained, my bad. smile

Well, shall we go?
Yes, let's go.
[They do not move.]

RyGOLD Member
Gromit's Humble Squire
4,496 posts

Posted:
Don't like it. Finding the white too bright compared to the grey. Makes me want to close this window. frown

*goes about changing it back*

Adya MiriyanaGOLD Member
*slou?
6,554 posts

Posted:
great work guys! biggrin

i use HoP green, and the change is just subtle, but nice smile

i've also noticed that the error message i kept getting when trying to open links in new windows has disappeared! this is excellent!

hug

newgabeSILVER Member
what goes around comes around. unless you're into stalls.
4,030 posts

Posted:
mmmm greenday for me too, but I took a stroll through the other colourscapes just for fun (and in case I actually got any work done this morning... wink)... what an elegant selection they are.. then I hit *wild* woah!!! wow eek ubblol That's a good one for 3am!

.....Can't juggle balls but I sure as hell can juggle details....

RyGOLD Member
Gromit's Humble Squire
4,496 posts

Posted:
Argh. Got grey back, but the top banner thing's still the new bright grey look. Still too bright for my liking; very much preferred the black. Is there a customise banner setting? *grumble*

Mr ChutneySILVER Member
Tosser
1,712 posts

Posted:
It look fresh and new- I like, Thankyou biggrin

pounceSILVER Member
All the neurotic makings of America's lesser known sweetheart
9,831 posts

Posted:
just signed on and haven't messed with the different options. but i'm on the ice blue settings and i like it so far. not a whole lot of differences that i can see just yet, but still gotta look.

I was always scared with my mother's obsession with the good scissors. It made me wonder if there were evil scissors lurking in the house somewhere.

Do not meddle in the affairs of dragons for you are crunchy and good with ketchup.

**giggles**

RoziSILVER Member
100 characters max...
2,996 posts

Posted:
I freaked out at first. I saw the home page had changed, and the text was off kilter. Hitting refresh does fix this.

Does this only happen to us poor old sods who have been on here for years (cache issue)? Or do first timers see things a little strangely too?

It was a day for screaming at inanimate objects.

What this calls for is a special mix of psychology and extreme violence...

RoziSILVER Member
100 characters max...
2,996 posts

Posted:
Oh, and also, now it is fixed I really really really like the new design ubbrollsmile

It was a day for screaming at inanimate objects.

What this calls for is a special mix of psychology and extreme violence...

MikeGinnyGOLD Member
HOP Mad Doctor
13,925 posts

Posted:
I like a lot.

ONE PROBLEM:

There are two navigation bars at the top. One says Home/Community/Articles/Meet Others/etc. That bar is fine.

The bar below it has the problem: the color of the background is too similar to the color of the text. Probably either make the text black or make the background darker and that should fix it.

Otherwise, well done! clap

-Mike

Certified Mad Doctor and HoP High Priest of Nutella

A buckuht n a hooze! -Valura

L0s3r_r@v3rSILVER Member
enthusiast
274 posts

Posted:
when i opened the page i thought that i was on the wrong site.. till i saw the title :-p it'
s purrdy!

You know what I'm thinking about right now? That's right, Tacos!

RyGOLD Member
Gromit's Humble Squire
4,496 posts

Posted:
Ok.. have stared at it most of today apart from going out to uni for a bit. I guess the grey top banner's growing on me, but I might have to change the old grey to a shade which matches. Still unsure though.

newgabeSILVER Member
what goes around comes around. unless you're into stalls.
4,030 posts

Posted:
The quotes do look a bit odd in the new 'default' skin. I never did like the old grey look. Depressing. (Honestly Ry!! Brighten up!!) or if it's too glary, turn the monitor glare down a bit... or try the *alternative* it's a bit duller...

and as for
Written by: Ry

Ok.. have stared at it most of today apart from going out to uni for a bit.

ubblol Our wild lives, eh ubblol

Written by: Doc Lightning

The bar below it has the problem: the color of the background is too similar to the color of the text. Probably either make the text black or make the background darker and that should fix it.

Written by: Dom

You may need to hit refresh a couple of times, especially on the board. If the menu is white then this is probably the reason. hopefully!

Dom smile

did you try clicking *refresh* ? a few people have mentioned that

*worked for me*

.....Can't juggle balls but I sure as hell can juggle details....

MikeGinnyGOLD Member
HOP Mad Doctor
13,925 posts

Posted:
Ok, my previous complaint is null and void.

And I just set my display settings to the old grey.

Sorry, guys. In my world HOP has been grey since I found it 5 years ago. I just...

I tried... Really. I did... It's too glaring on me poor eyes.

-Mike

Certified Mad Doctor and HoP High Priest of Nutella

A buckuht n a hooze! -Valura

Page: