jaeroSILVER Member
your new best enemy
246 posts

Posted:
I was messin around the other night and I had an Idea. then I turned it into a reality. I'm not sure if this has been done before. If it has, will someone let me know? it was out of a double corkskrew, or a 4 beat cork or whatever you want to call it. when the poi is over my head, I lean backwards at the knees and do the behind my head part of the double windmill parallel to the ground. when I bring the poi back infront/above me, I use their momentum so bring me back to an upright position.
I call it the matrix spin. I'm not woried about having come up with the trick, I'd just like to know if it has a name already.

I'll get there too late if I shorten my stride, I'll get there too soon if I find me a ride, I'll never move forward if I try to hide this path that I've troden one step at a time.

[Nx?]BRONZE Member
Carpal \'Tunnel
3,749 posts

Posted:
oooh, another 'matrix' name huh?

some movie, its amazing the sequals were so bad.

ive heard this called btb corkscrew... *shrug*

good move tho, i cant do it biggrin (tho i know a man who can wink )

T wave

This is a post by tom, all spelling is deleberate
-><- Kallisti

RevBRONZE Member
Bastard Newbie Messiah
1,269 posts

Posted:
I heard that too.. but wouldnt it be a bth corkscrew.. I mean btb implies btb.. and if we talk in terms of hand positions and stuff, it only makes sense.. I mean if that's btb when what's the thing I do in my vid?

More useless information courtesy of Rev...
Confusing the masses, one post at a time...
"Obviously, you're not a golfer.."- The Dude
"Buy the ticket... Take the ride..." -Raoul Duke
"FEMA has never done catastrophe planning..."-Michael Brown

[Nx?]BRONZE Member
Carpal \'Tunnel
3,749 posts

Posted:
i have never seen any of your vids so i wouldent know.

Im not the big man on terminology, and dont really care as the first description was pretty perfectly understandable as far as the mecanics of the move go. call it a bent-over-backwards-windmill if you like *shrug*

T wave

-><- Kallisti

Tom_ShillSILVER Member
enthusiast
213 posts

Posted:
I don't get it confused Do you mean you do the 'behind my head part' perpendicular to the ground? Because in a corkscrew the poi are parallel to the ground anyway. Or are you starting in a windmill then leaning back and doing a couple of beats parallel to the ground? I'm a bit lost smile

Will those capable of telekinesis please raise my hand?

[Nx?]BRONZE Member
Carpal \'Tunnel
3,749 posts

Posted:
ok, maybe it wasnt such a good description... or tom is stoopid, lol wink

T(om) wave

-><- Kallisti

RevBRONZE Member
Bastard Newbie Messiah
1,269 posts

Posted:
nix- you arent missing much

Tom- (the other one)

he's talking about doing what bluecat calls a btb corkscrew.. only I dont know if blue actually has to lean as far back.. but you can he's basically just doing the bottom of the cork back behind his shoulders, and leaning so that he can reach the plane and also not hit his back..

in his own words he does it more windmill than corkscrew.. shrug so call it what you will.. though I still say btb just isnt appropriate.. but we all know me..

jaeroSILVER Member
your new best enemy
246 posts

Posted:
sure... it's like a corkscrew to a horizontal windmill... only the laws of gravity don't really apply if you do it right.

I'll get there too late if I shorten my stride, I'll get there too soon if I find me a ride, I'll never move forward if I try to hide this path that I've troden one step at a time.

DutSILVER Member
lurker
380 posts

Posted:
Written by: jaero

sure... it's like a corkscrew to a horizontal windmill... only the laws of gravity don't really apply if you do it right.

lol. yes they do. you're just doing a turn on an axis most people forget about, and putting a lot of strain on your back. the only question is whether you use horizontal insides to "flip" it behind you (clockwise stays clockwise) or outsides to "turn" it (clockwise goes to counterclockwise), as both should work out. biggrin

and nick w. (meenik) from canada called this family "dropping the circles down the spine" i think, and made a splash on one of the COL vids (3maybe) with a flower version a few years back. can you do the 4 beat windmill or the buzzsaw flip OTH+bent back? what about just turning it forward to reverse? wink (not that i can do these things, by any means... well, probably not. i hadn't thought about windmill flips before. hmm).

nix, you should check rev's practice vids. the BTB corkscrew is hot.

also "matrix" is the name of a contact staff move on HoP. if you want flashy, you could call horizontal windmills the "bullet time" plane maybe? but yeah, the name is used, and the move is named. lol.
EDITED_BY: Dut (1142284325)

Loki_the_tricksterSILVER Member
Has sharp edges
1,266 posts

Posted:
I know its a simple one but I'm still pretty new to poi and am trying to learn the termonologies. Last night I was working on my one handed butterfly and then was able to turn it so the poi passed on the left and right side instead of top and bottom. Like the regular OHB hand movement would be like a head noding yes and the other way would be a head shaking no. Name?
Also from there I was able to make it go horizontal.....Name?
Help is appreciated like I said the ansewr is probably simple but I'm a newbie smile Thanks biggrin

My ADD makes it so that.....Ooooo SHINY.....wanna go ride bikes....wait....where am I.....

Suibomaddict
577 posts

Posted:
 Written by:

yes and the other way would be a head shaking no. Name?

split time OHB

Written by:

Also from there I was able to make it go horizontal.....Name?

horizontal OHB

Definition of poi- A Hawaiian food made from the tuber of the taro that is cooked, pounded to a paste, and fermented.

Ahnold discussing poi - "It is naht a toober!"

[Nx?]BRONZE Member
Carpal \'Tunnel
3,749 posts

Posted:
simple when you know how huh? :P

T wave

-><- Kallisti

Loki_the_tricksterSILVER Member
Has sharp edges
1,266 posts

Posted:
 Written by: [Nx?

]
simple when you know how huh? :P

T wave

yeah....I'm haveing an easier time learning the moves than the proper terms for them ubblol
Thanks I'm sure I'll be asking about others biggrin
Thanks again ya'll hug

My ADD makes it so that.....Ooooo SHINY.....wanna go ride bikes....wait....where am I.....

bluecatgeek, level 1
5,300 posts

Posted:
rev: its not the same as my btb corkscrew, cause what i call that travels around the body, not static like a front corkscrew, which is what i understand this to be. (?)

Dut; matrix is not only a staff move, its also been a poi move that is like and extended 4bt corkscrew with uberleans for about 4 years too....(i'd find a link, but i'm on dial-up...)

Holistic Spinner (I hope)

Tom_ShillSILVER Member
enthusiast
213 posts

Posted:
Here's the [Old link], I more or less understand it from the description, but getting it nice and flat it a nightmare! There's another thread on it [Old link] with a bit of discussion.

Will those capable of telekinesis please raise my hand?

RevBRONZE Member
Bastard Newbie Messiah
1,269 posts

Posted:
blue: sorry... I got told that you called a bth cork a btb one, when I was trying to explain to someone (nx? maybe) about my btb cork..

jaeroSILVER Member
your new best enemy
246 posts

Posted:
hmmmm.... I've never understood or really tried to learn any technical names.... it's all so confusing to me. but the reason I called it the matrix spin in the first place had everything to do with that god forsaken movie. you know when he leans back dodging bullets? well, it looks just like that, except I do the behind the head windmill part so that the poi are about 6 inches to a foot off the ground. getting back up to the up right position is the tricky part. I fall on my ass every few times I do it. now getting up with out throwing off the rhythm... now that's the real trick.

[Nx?]BRONZE Member
Carpal \'Tunnel
3,749 posts

Posted:
jah, no one says its easy wink

t wave

-><- Kallisti

MillenniuMPLATINUM Member
Hyperloops suck
595 posts

Posted:
Isn't this done in one of Nick Woolsey's videos? Possibly a few of them, actually...