Forums > Beginner Poi Moves > How many beats can you weave?

Login/Join to Participate
Page:
ChrisGorenewbie
8 posts

Posted:
I have been trying to see how many beats I can get in the weave, not that the lay audience notice the difference much but it is lank cool to do.
With my normal poi I can get to a 7/8 beat weave, but with fire I can only get to a successfull 5 beat weave.
I heard a rumor of someone doing a 13 beat weave with normal poi, which is way cool but hard to believe.
So I ask other poi enthusiasts and fire junkies...how many beats can you fit into your weave?

Chris

To spin or not to spin,
that is a stupid question.

MikeIconGOLD Member
Pooh-Bah
2,109 posts

Posted:
 Written by:

I guess that there will have to be an 'international poi spinning convention' where everyone can show what they are meaning and what they are actually capable of

Its called Uberpoi... Or EJC... Or Burning Man... Or...

Let's turn those old bridges we crossed into ashes.
We'll blaze a new trail,
and torch the rough patches.

-Me

RevBRONZE Member
Bastard Newbie Messiah
1,269 posts

Posted:
thats why I say to hell with beats.. degrees are cooler.. there's no debate there.. you can't get higher than 4th degree.. hahah..

More useless information courtesy of Rev...
Confusing the masses, one post at a time...
"Obviously, you're not a golfer.."- The Dude
"Buy the ticket... Take the ride..." -Raoul Duke
"FEMA has never done catastrophe planning..."-Michael Brown

shen shuiSILVER Member
no excuses. no apologies.
1,799 posts

Posted:
was wrapping the little tangley bits between the handles and the head.
nothing was said about not tangling... :P just of how many beats could be fitted into a weave...

but then, is that -ahem- cheating? at the end of the day, how many beats per side?

although i can understand the need/desire to be able to do 9 (or however many you like) without "resorting" to tangling... just for the sake of doing it, right?

those that know, dont say. those that say, dont know.

ChrisGorenewbie
8 posts

Posted:
It is pretty much just for the sake of just being able to do it. As long as you can un-tangle it and continue with the weave it should count, however some people would still disagree and say it is not a real move, yet you are still doing it, they might just classify it as a different move.
Would it be the weave, or something else?

--Chris

To spin or not to spin,

RevBRONZE Member
Bastard Newbie Messiah
1,269 posts

Posted:
well since tangling the strings starts a different 'move' it doesnt count.. regardless of how related hte fundementals are... it's kinda like trying to thru-wrap for more beats.. sure its the same idea, but now its a different move..

shen shuiSILVER Member
no excuses. no apologies.
1,799 posts

Posted:
k. smile

those that know, dont say. those that say, dont know.

ChrisGorenewbie
8 posts

Posted:
What move is a wrap classified as then?

To spin or not to spin,

RevBRONZE Member
Bastard Newbie Messiah
1,269 posts

Posted:
a wrap is a wrap right?

I guess I don't follow the question.. I mean sometimes a wrap is a trace... other times a wrap is thru-wrap.. but usually a wrap is a wrap..

tenticleenthusiast
275 posts

Posted:
mwahahahahaaaa.

--Ben

RevBRONZE Member
Bastard Newbie Messiah
1,269 posts

Posted:
eeklook who's alive and posting.. wink

duballstarSILVER Member
slack rating - 9.5
2,216 posts

Posted:
i saw this guy once on the beach in bongor regis who did about 19 beats in a weave. seriously, it was at least 19 cos he could dislocate his arms and fingers so that they kept wrapping round each other for ever and it was totally sick an i was like whoa man you're some kind of a freak aren't you and he just kept wrapping and wrapping an my friend was like whoa can you do that and i was like no way man he's some kind of a freak and then this girl went past ona scooter so i got distracted and i fell down a hole and kept tumbling down it until i woke up witha headache... smile

It is our fantasies that make us real. Without our fantasies we're just a blank monkey' - Terry Pratchett

tenticleenthusiast
275 posts

Posted:
just passing through... someone told me i'd be good if my planes were straighter, so i thought 'sod this for a game of cards', and so now i play with cards. the money's better.

--ben

TheBovrilMonkeySILVER Member
Liquid Cow
2,629 posts

Posted:
 Written by: ChrisGore

What move is a wrap classified as then?

If you're wrapping the strings around each other in the context of getting extra beats, it turns it into a hyperloop, albeit one that has the tangle right next to the handles instead of the usual halfway up the strings.

Very similar to a weave in principle and how they work, but one's a weave and one's not wink

But there's no sense crying over every mistake. You just keep on trying till you run out of cake.

infinitemember
110 posts

Posted:
ON the reverse 5 beat weave when my rt hand reaces under left arm and then back over rt arm, if you put your left elbow in the crook of your rt arm and reach rt with rt hand it reaches back to the rt side, so now arms as twisted as they can go rt hand on rt side under then over left elbow- if you bring your rt hand up near your Rt ear you can get that poi over the shoulder and you can spin as many beats as you want w/ your arms fully crossed, and no wraps or cheats.
I can spin an average of 6 extra beats and even more on occasion. It kinda like a crosser, crossed again w/ rt poi now going over the shoulder and left poi in front of body. Can any one maske sense of this?? It
un-twists just fine and the opposite side of the body infinte spin is possible but very very hard to do. I will make a daylight video at a very high frame rate in about a week. I let someone borrow my camera on a road trip. ANd you only turn at most 90 degrees to step into the planes your spinning.

dont make peoples heads turn, give them whiplash.

infinitemember
110 posts

Posted:
this is the most convincing thing I have seen yet..
https://www.motsplace.com/poi/7bt.html

infinitemember
110 posts

Posted:
If you turned this 7 beat 90 degrees when his arms are tottaly crossed and put one poi over your shoulder you can sit and spin many many beats.

Liquid Cow
2,629 posts

Posted:
 Written by: infinite

ON the reverse 5 beat weave when my rt hand reaces under left arm and then back over rt arm, if you put your left elbow in the crook of your rt arm and reach rt with rt hand it reaches back to the rt side, so now arms as twisted as they can go rt hand on rt side under then over left elbow- if you bring your rt hand up near your Rt ear you can get that poi over the shoulder and you can spin as many beats as you want w/ your arms fully crossed, and no wraps or cheats.
I can spin an average of 6 extra beats and even more on occasion. It kinda like a crosser, crossed again w/ rt poi now going over the shoulder and left poi in front of body. Can any one maske sense of this?? It
un-twists just fine and the opposite side of the body infinte spin is possible but very very hard to do. I will make a daylight video at a very high frame rate in about a week. I let someone borrow my camera on a road trip. ANd you only turn at most 90 degrees to step into the planes your spinning.

Written by:

If you turned this 7 beat 90 degrees when his arms are tottaly crossed and put one poi over your shoulder you can sit and spin many many beats.

While you're doing this, are your hands moving at all for the extra beats, or are they held in position while you spin the poi?
Unless they're still moving, it's the same as just spinning with the poi by your sides in the middle of a 3 beat weave - you get extra beats, but you're no longer weaving, just spinning circles.

But there's no sense crying over every mistake. You just keep on trying till you run out of cake.

TeknoTurtles_Fuzionnewbie
3 posts

Posted:
ummm....

i have 6 beats with one hand...

TT 3....the comeback

colemanSILVER Member
big and good and broken
7,330 posts

Posted:
with one hand?

i can get at least 20 beats on each side of a weave with a meteor wink

still, i think the the limit that arm wrappyupness (degrees) sets on the maximum number of beats in weaves is the defining factor for me so, with two hands, i'm with the 'nine beats if you use finger loops' crowd.

cole. x

"i see you at 'dis cafe.
i come to 'dis cafe quite a lot myself.
they do porridge."
- tim westwood

Liquid Cow
2,629 posts

Posted:
 Written by: coleman

still, i think the the limit that arm wrappyupness (degrees) sets on the maximum number of beats in weaves is the defining factor for me so, with two hands, i'm with the 'nine beats if you use finger loops and have arms like dhalsim' crowd.

There, I corrected it for you wink tongue

UCOFSILVER Member
15,417 posts

Posted:
ubblol

RevBRONZE Member
Bastard Newbie Messiah
1,269 posts

Posted:
yeah, 6 can be done with one hand.. cole.. 5 is easy.. its getting that same twist on the cross side that's hard.. the wrist isnt meant to bend that way so you have to line your torso right.. I had to practice doing it with a turn for the longest time..

TeknoTurtles_Fuzionnewbie
3 posts

Posted:
honestly one handed 6bts are very easy for me....
i have one handed 6 beaters under the leg and with transitions too..

i like to do one handed transitions witch include going from 7bters to one handed 6bts to butterflied 7 beaters...and other cool loooking combos...

TT 3....the comeback

infinitemember
110 posts

Posted:
While you're doing this, are your hands moving at all for the extra beats, or are they held in position while you spin the poi?
Unless they're still moving, it's the same as just spinning with the poi by your sides in the middle of a 3 beat weave - you get extra beats, but you're no longer weaving, just spinning circles.

I agree with this entirely and Im glad it is defined as such,you should still learn the reverse 5 beat spin circles move for fun. and if we are going to define the weave by hand movements then we acan all agree that you cant twist up any more than what is humanly possibel because after your fingers make that last revolution, your arms stay static they cant twist anymore......... That vid on mots place is by far the most i have seen without wraps.

infinitemember
110 posts

Posted:
I'm not going to get into the whole turning thing, but unless I'm understanding this wrong, wrapping 5 fingers individually wouldn't add any beats unless you switched the poi from finger to finger.
That's why I'd say that wrapping fingers makes an extra beat - it's not turning and it's not tangling, but it is an extra place for body parts to cross and twist around each other......

IF hands staying static doesnt count and you cant turn your feet or shoulders more than 90 degrees, and no wraps can be involved then that is not a legit weave.

In the same way that you get the poi spinning super fast and then put them wall plane in front of you and they will twist around eachothers strings untill momentum runs out or you turn and untwist, we are doing a similar move at the end of human reach with arms twisted and I dont think it shoud count. hands are static..... string is wrapping........

infinitemember
110 posts

Posted:
""but then, is that -ahem- cheating? at the end of the day, how many beats per side? """

if we are counting beats per side I can do as many as you want to count with arms copletly twisted around each other. see.. moot point... We would have to have a rule book for a legit weave to figure all of this out.

RicheeBRONZE Member
HOP librarian
1,841 posts

Posted:
There is no other way to untwist "non legal" weave, than to make transition to the other side. It meens at least one carry, so it counts.

:R

POI THEO(R)IST

TheWibblerGOLD Member
old hand
920 posts

Posted:
It all depends what the word "weave" means

I think there's always some dodgyness going on above 7 beats

I know rev will disagree because his definition of "weave" allows more freedom to turn than mine does.

So really it's all arbitory. If you're definition allows for more turning you can do maybe up to 11, if you allow a release then you can do aas many beats as you like.

m

Spherculism ~:~ The Act of becoming Spherculish.

Page: