Forums > Social Discussion > Writing notes instead of talking to people... opinions?

Login/Join to Participate

BirgitBRONZE Member
had her carpal tunnel surgery already thanks v much
4,145 posts

Posted:
Has anyone ever worked with people who stick notes everywhere instead of talking to people?

I mean things like, in a room that's only used by 5 people, 'PLEASE SWITCH (SOANDSO) OFF BECAUSE IT'S A POTENTIAL FIRE HAZARD!'

Now, aside from the fact that I think something either is a fire hazard or not, and there is no potential fire hazard, wouldn't it be much easier to talk to everyone if it's just a small group of people who could've done it?

We have two very conflicting opinions in my lab, one being that notes are silly and annoy people more than make you want to follow their advice, plus they make the person who wrote them look a bit stupid. The other is that noone listens to people telling them things, but follows what's on notes.

One of the two MUST be wrong, but I can't figure it out wink All I know is that there are some places with notes on nearly every machine and cupboard saying 'DON'T...' or 'DO...' things that should be common sense wink

My favourite note is the 'Keep the toilets clean' one that's finally shown up in our new building 8 months after moving here. I've been waiting for it, no public working place seems complete without it. I don't think it helps a bit, cause obviously keeping toilets clean is something you either care about or don't, and a bit of paper's not gonna change it, because noone doesn't know that dirty loos are icky... So I'm thinking of putting up a counter-note saying it might be more sensible to ask the cleaners to finally let us have a brush and spare toilet paper than to put up useless notes, but I doubt many people in here would appreciate the practicality wink

So that's my rant for the day smile

"vices are like genitals - most are ugly to behold, and yet we find that our own are dear to us."
(G.W. Dahlquist)

Owner of Dragosani's left half

Helen_of_PoiSILVER Member
lapsed spinner
412 posts

Posted:
I reckon people are either considerate and sensible or not - some people will act on advice (sensible advice, not patronising "please flush the toilet after use" advice), and some people won't. I'm not sure it makes too much difference how you tell them something (note vs email vs conversation) - they'll either listen or not depending on:
1. Who they are
2. How tactfully they are advised of something

Some people just need gentle prodding - e.g they won't respond to a "please take responsibility for litter around your camp" sign at a festival, but if you hand them a black sack, they'll fill it.

Helen_of_Poi

EJC Ireland 2006 Organisational Team

alien_oddityCarpal \'Tunnel
7,193 posts

Posted:
i think sometimes notes and warnings are put up to save the company getting sued. the person that sued mc donnalds because they didn't have a warning on the coffee cup saying " contents may be hot" ubblol

alot of the time it's common sence so people just take the signs for granted and ignore them

jeff(fake)Scientist of Fortune
1,189 posts

Posted:
I heard the McDonalds thing was just an urban myth.

According to Heisenberg's Uncertainty Principle of Quantum Dynamics, we may already be making love right now...

alien_oddityCarpal \'Tunnel
7,193 posts

Posted:
so did i but, it is plausible something as simple as that could cost a company alot of money

SethisBRONZE Member
Pooh-Bah
1,762 posts

Posted:
Well, I have two opinions as well...

Down the hall from me, there is a girl who stuck a notice in the toilet+shower room saying: "Please do not use this bathroom after 11pm, because it wakes me up"

I thought this was fair enough, as there is another shower 10 metres away down the hall.

However she then stuck up a second note a few weeks later. This one read: "If you're going to pee in the toilet in the early hours of the morning, can you at least flush so it doesn't stink in the morning"

This I was confused by. She either wants you to flush (and wake her up) or not (and make the toilet smell). shrug

Some notes are silly, but others are the only way to communicate effectively. I bought a box of washing powder, and being the naive fool that I was, I left it a cupboard in the wash and dry station rather than taking it back up to my room.

I come back a week later and it's gone. Completely. It was a new box that I'd only used once. It cost me a fiver, and had a good dozen more uses in it. I understand someone who might have used some of it when it was almost full, but what kind of person uses the LAST of someone ELSES stuff? That's just stupid. So I put a note up saying that I was leaving my stuff there, and that people should not use it. It seems to have worked.

So two examples of effective notes vs confusing notes. If it's lots of people then it's alright, however writing notes in a house of 5 people is a bit silly, unless it's something like "DO NOT FLUSH THIS TOILET, IT IS BROKEN".

And you know someone is going to ignore it anyway rolleyes

After much consideration, I find that the view is worth the asphyxiation.
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
I may disagree with what you have to say, but I will defend to the death your right to say it.

Patriarch917SILVER Member
I make my own people.
607 posts

Posted:
The McDonald's thing is not an urban myth. A lady sued McDonald's because the coffee was too hot, and she got burned bad when she spilled it on herself after driving away from the drivethrough.

The warning on the cup was a defense, but it wasn't enough. After the suit, they started putting hot coffee warning signs on the drivethrough windows themselves that said something like "Caution: Our Coffee is very hot!" However, even this is probably not enough to sheild them from future liability were the scenario to repeat itself.

Pink...?BRONZE Member
Mistress of Pink...Multicoloured
6,140 posts

Posted:
In my last job we had signs everwhere, in the loo's, in the kitchen etc... pointless signs that, because there were so many, you ignored.

Whereas my new job, hardly any signs. Not even the obligatory "Please keep toilets clean" or "Please wash up after yourself" !! And... guess what? The toilets are always clean, and there is never any washing up left in the Kitchen (sorry what do they call it... "break out area" )

However, in my current house, we do need more signs, We all have such different lives (some people like me work normal office hours, and come home about 6pm, then go out in the evenings, another works completely random shifts, another works nights...) so we never really see each other!! In this case, notes are very beneficial. But no one uses them.
For instance, the other morning i was woken up, quite suddenly, with an old fat guy in my room!! Apparently he was a boiler man looking at our heating which had stopped working. Now a week later i saw Alex, and mentioned it to him, and he said, "oh yeah - i called the boiler man in too fix our heating. Sorry didn't think you would be in"
Now, instead of giving me a heart attack and embaressment of being caught in bed (naked!!) by a fat boiler man, he could have simply left a note in the kitchen or such saying, "boiler man coming on blah blah, he may want to look in all our rooms. Be warned!"

Never pick up a duck in a dungeon...

NOnactivist for HoPper liberation.
1,643 posts

Posted:
hmmm... there are certainly times when notes are more practical... and in comes in handy if you're a bit ditzy and forget to mention something. i don't like the notes that sound pissed off.... but i imagine those stem from people being alone in the place doing all the mouldy washing up or whatever and having nobody nearby to complain to.... if you write a note, i guess it's effectively out of your system and broadcast into the public realm then if someone doesn't read it you can blame them.... if you try and tell someone but keep forgetting, then you have only yourself to blame. Also i imagine in a workplace there are likely to be some irritable types who will be pissed off if you stop them working and gather everyone together to inform them that the toilets are not clean, and about half of them will think "oh, that's nothing to do with me... i never poo... why did you interrupt my work?" or something..... i guess it depends on the situation.... and not everyone's great at facing up to people in conversation, maybe some feel more comfortable noting.... shrug

Aurinko freedom agreement reached 10th Sept 2006

if it makes no sense that's because it's NOn-sense.

BlayzeSILVER Member
Doesn't play well with others...
187 posts

Posted:
While I agree that notes can sometime be helpful (like a warning about the boiler man) some people take note-writing too far. For example, in my house, there is a note by the door that says "please lock the door". I understand this is important for security and insurance purposes, but when I forget to lock the deadbolt on the door (the door is still locked, just not bolted) i do not need a second note, below the first, that says "please lock the deadbolt". i have locked the deadbolt every day for the last two years I have lived in that house...I forget one day, and there's a note.

As far as signs go, I think that most people just don't read! i used to work in a rental shop at a ski hill and we had signs all over telling people to fill out their rental forms (name, address, simple stuff) before getting equipment, but they never did. We even had a sign that was hanging from the ceiling so that people would see it when they came in. It didn't help. One day, we lowered the sign so that people literally had to duck under or walk around it and they still didn't read it. mad

From my experience i would definately agree that people tend to pay more attention when verbally told to do (or not do) something.

I smile because I have no idea what is going on...

Mint SauceBRONZE Member
veteran
1,453 posts

Posted:
Humm I think too many notes and signs are a very bad thing

The more stuff you have up the less likely people are going to be bothered to read them.

Less is most definitely more.

I work in intensive care and we have warning signs all over the place it is just silly so when a new policy came in some time last year that said that all visitors must use alcohol hand jell before and after they leave the unit.

Signs where put up next to the already existing dispensing units and low and behold nobody noticed them they just got swallowed up in the surrounding noise of all the other posters and crap on the walls.

What would catch you attention more one person asking you a question or 20 people all talking at the same time gurrrrr

Another thing that is getting on my tits at the minute is all the new infection control posters we keep getting each month each one a different variation on a similar theme of using microscopic pictures of bacteria to make up ever day objects then having some clever pun underneath reminding you to wash your hands. (example lots of bacteria in the shape of a suit case with “infection travels†underneath (oooooo that’s clever (note the sarcastic tone in my voice))

The thing that really gets me about this is someone got paid a fortune (in NHS cash) for these campaign posters which is both crap and pointless they relay nothing of the importance of hand washing and sometimes make no sense what a waist of money what we need in solid plastic placks stuck to the wall with
“WASH YOUR HANDS PLEASE. SPREAD OF INFECTIONS CAN KILLâ€
in big bold letters at least we could clean these placks properly unlike these bloody posters.

Sorry rant over.

before i met those lot i thought they'd be a bunch of dreadlocked hippies that smoked, set things on fire ,and drank a lot of tea but then when i met them....oh wait (PyroWill)

BansheeCatBRONZE Member
veteran
1,247 posts

Posted:
My favorite note is one right a above the silver magic wand that is duct taped in the staff room at work:

" for emergency use only"

"God *was* my co-pilot, but then we crashed, and I had to eat him..."

NYCNYC
9,232 posts

Posted:
Written by: Patriarch917

The McDonald's thing is not an urban myth. A lady sued McDonald's because the coffee was too hot, and she got burned bad when she spilled it on herself after driving away from the drivethrough.

"The McDonald's thing" was infact real but it has been oversimplified to the point of almost becoming an urban myth.

It was actually a class action suit against McDonalds. McDonalds only lost because they were found to have had extensive prior knowledge that their coffee was being kept too hot previously and chose to ignore it.

"Company documents showed that in the past decade McDonald's had received at least 700 reports of coffee burns ranging from mild to third degree, and had settled claims arising from scalding injuries for more than $500,000."

If you want a fuller version of the story you can check this out.

The basic story is McDonalds was found guilty NOT because some lady got burned by hot coffee but because they KNEW that the temperature that they mandated their coffee to be at was too high and they KNEW people were being burned by it and they did nothing to change it.

But nobody ever seems to care about the actual full story. wink

ANNNNNYWAY... back ON topic:

I love writing signs. It's great. It's the perfect cop out in my classroom. You wouldn't believe how easily my students accept something just because I put a sign up about it. It's hard for me not to laugh when I say "I'd totally let you do it but the sign says 'No'" when I MADE THE SIGN! biggrin

For example, I'd always taken 10 points off of kids labs if they weren't wearing safety goggles and they'd always whine and complain when I did. Then I put a sign up. Now, the second they start to complain I say "Sorry, the sign says 10 points off" and they IMMIDIATELY stop whiining and accept the penalty.

I have NO idea why this works but it's flawless. It even works when I run fire events. I'm always running around trying to inforce rules but the few times I put up a sign I just blame the sign and nobody complains.

"Sorry guys, no fire spinning until 10:00"
"What? That's crap! You mean we have to wait around until 10 and I drove all the way down from.."
"Yeah, sorry, but that's what the sign says."
"Oh... yeah... OK, we'll be back at 10"

ubblol

Well, shall we go?
Yes, let's go.
[They do not move.]

BirgitBRONZE Member
4,145 posts

Posted:
Written by: NOn

and not everyone's great at facing up to people in conversation, maybe some feel more comfortable noting.... shrug

Very good point smile Though I think, as with me in a university environment, with people being trained as PhDs who are later supposed to lead (at least small) teams, it might be an important quality to learn for future jobs and for life anyways... having said that, I don't like it, but I can do it if I feel I have to.

NYC your chemistry signs make sense, it's called "signposts" in science communication, and they're much more firm when written down where everyone sees them. I used to make my medics bring in chocolate when they "forgot" their goggles or didn't write their lab reports. I didn't mind too much when they did wink

Though the kind of signs we USED to have in the old lab were of the kind: "Please fill up the hand towels when the container is empty. The key is in the (blabla), and another sign 5 inches further down on the container "PLEASE FILL ME UP WHEN I'M EMPTY. THE KEY IS IN THE (blabla)". Now, instead of doing that, it would've been easier to just tell every new person (maybe after a week or so of finding their way around the more important places in the lab) where the hand towel container key is... ah well, the notewritingperson in question is not in Edinburgh anymore, so now it's mostly down to reminding people that the microscope has been left on overnight but should be switched off etc. Which is still annoying cause usually everyone knows who was last in the lab and should've done it, but then at least it's something important (fire hazard, energy waste etc...)

I still think I should tell the loo-note-writer how silly I think they are. If only they ever put their names on the signs they write! Just putting another sign below it kind of puts me on the same level of silliness!

"vices are like genitals - most are ugly to behold, and yet we find that our own are dear to us."
(G.W. Dahlquist)

NYCNYC
9,232 posts

Posted:
Oh yeah, it's important to sign your signs. I hate ghost signs too.

The easy way to figure it out is just replace it with a "Do Not Refill When Empty" sign and see who gets the most pissed off. wink

Well, shall we go?
Yes, let's go.
[They do not move.]

Zauberdachsenthusiast
220 posts

Posted:
I think it is definately a quality over quantity issue. I use both notes and personal chats to solve problems but I only do so when it is really, really important. No one listens to a whinger and no one reads one of ten or twenty notes a month. So I only do it when it is something that really truely bothers me.

One of my flatmates was like "tidy, tidy, tidy..." and "why don't you clean this ... blah, blah, blah" all the time and she left our flat because it was driving her down. When I want something done I do it with a few calculated words here and there. Less stress and more effect.

The insults of your enemy are a tribute to your bravery wink

_Aimée_SILVER Member
Carpal \'Tunnel
4,172 posts

Posted:
I hate people doing this...

At work during my break this morning I ran around the kitchen and the washroom with my camera taking little snap shots of all the notes and lamenated signs that various staff have put up...

They include -

"All staff should read notice board - every shift" - common sense. In a care home environment the notice board generally lets you know who needs cream on their foot/whos died and who has family visiitng that day..

"All bags containing clinical waste must be tied before placing in the clinical waste bin" - Again, common sense. If something is is covered in excremant and placed in a bag you'd think to tie it up before you put it in the bin

"Ironing only" - This is on a box which lives on the ironing shelve. Pretty useless..

"Warning! Be careful when lifting down! Contains glass vases" - I hate this one the most as somebody has written a note, stuck it there, then somebody else has come along and thoughtfully drawn pictures of vases all the way around the note as if we need reminding what they look like.

"To all staff - please make sure bins are emptied after each shift - thank you" - Lazy staff. All bins are completely full after each shift. Always always full. It makes sense to empty them when you've finished. Apparently we have bone idle employees..

"Hot water!" - Above the hot tap

"Hot water!" - Above the other hot tap

"Hot water!" - Above the other other hot tap

"HOT WATER!!!"Above the hot water machine we use for making tea and coffee drinks.

No sh!t!

Tumble dryer filter must be cleaned after every use" - We have 16 residants currently living at work..we do lots of tumbledrying. Lots of tumble drying means lots of fluff in the filter. dosn't take 2 seconds to clean it. Yet we have a sign telling us to do it...

"Please could all staff check that all washing dried in tumbledryer in completely dried and aired before putting away" - This only says to me that one very stupid colleuge put washing away that was still wet..

"Notice to all staff - please to not overload washing machine or tumble dryer" - Again this is just pure common sense.

"Any raw meat must be put put in the tub provided. Cooked meat, in tub provided" - What, you mean the tubs in the bottom of the fridge clearly mark 'Raw meat' and 'Cooked meat'?

"Dear all, please stop using this shelve as a dumping ground. If you have finished with your cup put it away, thanks!" - A bit of scrap paper glued onto the shelve. I've never ever seen dirty cups of that shelve. Its a mystery! confused

"Please do not pile dishes up in the sink" - Common sense! Where are you?!

"Do not remove fan from kitchen. Please turn off fan, not wall switch" - Why would you want to remove the fan from the kitchen? This confuses me even more as this note appeared in the middle of winter..

Gah! Rant rant I hate work rant.

angry angry angry

We have a staff meeting on thursday. I might make a note saying "Warning! Hot air!" and stick it on the managers mouth...

EDITED_BY: Aimée (1142092689)

NOnactivist for HoPper liberation.
1,643 posts

Posted:
it's not that i particularly want to defend all notewriters, some of them admittedly have no purpose and are irritating.... and i'm not generally one to criticise other people's minds, but.....

even if some things do seem common sense, the fact is, there are people who don't seem to have a great deal of common sense, there are also people who are ignorant and will not pay any attention to things people say, so sometimes notes pointing out the bloody obvious can work.... but for some reason people tend to take notes very personally...

it's also possible that people who do not necessarily work in the place but are just visiting or new employees wouldn't be told all the stuff that may be obvious for those who have been working there for longer... newbies or visitors aren't going to know all the routines, and expectations of the people in the workplace, and people aren't necessarily going to remember to tell them all that stuff in a day.... especially when it comes to health and safety issues, it is helpful to have signage that guides you round.....

would you really want a whole bunch of people criticising you on your first day at a new job, because you've done something that seems perfectly logical to you, but it's just "not the way we do things round here..."

There can be such a thing as excessive unnecessary signing, yes... and spontaneous irritated noting, but maybe if the system of signing was thought through properly in it's entirety, it wouldn't happen.... and admittedly if people communicated more... and allowed for basic human error... in a hurry, train to catch? last one out of the lab, microscope left on, oops... yes health and safety hazard, but it's an error..... the most irritating notes are those, that assume something has been done through plain ignorance. combat ignorance with good clear information systems. smile

The london underground map is considered a fine design achievment for that reason, imagine how chaotic that would be with little bits of paper everywhere? it's probably how the 'keep right' thing started though, somewhere originally stuck a post it, with "please could everyone who doesn't need to be at the top of the escalator within the next 2 seconds stay on the right hand side, so that those of us who do, can rush up quickly before our cappucino latte frappe things in styrofoam cups get cold." nobody takes personal offence at 'keep right' do they? i wish i'd paid more attention first time i went on the underground, wouldn't have got elbowed in the back biggrin

this argument has gone a bit wayward, and is heading towards the finer points of information system design, which is slightly out of the realm of notes... but hey, if it's not there already, people will make it.....

Aurinko freedom agreement reached 10th Sept 2006

if it makes no sense that's because it's NOn-sense.

MikeGinnyGOLD Member
HOP Mad Doctor
13,925 posts

Posted:
I think note-writing, especially in a lab environment can be useful when used properly. Example of a note I saw up in my lab:

"ATTENTION: on 3/5 two 3mm colonies of mold were found inside the tubing of the ultrapure water generator. This is probably because people were putting the tube into containers containing media or something else the mold likes to eat. PLEASE BE SURE TO USE ONLY CLEAN CONTAINERS WITH THE ULTRAPURE WATER GENERATOR!"

Believe me, it worked. Because everyone is friggin' TERRIFIED of the idea of having a mold colony in the holy water generator.

On the other hand: "PLEASE DO NOT TAKE OUR LAB'S LIQUID NITROGEN WITHOUT ASKING" didn't work...

You have to appeal to self-interest.

-Mike

Certified Mad Doctor and HoP High Priest of Nutella

A buckuht n a hooze! -Valura

BansheeCatBRONZE Member
veteran
1,247 posts

Posted:
Curious:does anyone out there make a habit of removing offensive signage?Particularly ones of unknown origin?

I once made a full size pseudo street sign for a couple of gigantic potholes, with the Indonesian road symbol " ! " ( and declaring it the subterranean route to town centre... The potholes got fixed faster than a million phone calls, (like the next morning) and the sign removed.

So I guess I agree with both NYCs and Docs points. Yes, signage-- and in general information in a written form, carries more authority. And if you combine it with an appeal to self interest, sure to get rapid response.

However, surely NOT wandering around a hospital with pilfered liquid nitrogen should be considered self interest?

"God *was* my co-pilot, but then we crashed, and I had to eat him..."

onewheeldaveGOLD Member
Carpal \'Tunnel
3,252 posts

Posted:
Written by: Aimée

I hate people doing this...

At work during my break this morning I ran around the kitchen and the washroom with my camera taking little snap shots of all the notes and lamenated signs that various staff have put up...

They include -

"All staff should read notice board - every shift" - common sense. In a care home environment the notice board generally lets you know who needs cream on their foot/whos died and who has family visiitng that day..

"All bags containing clinical waste must be tied before placing in the clinical waste bin" - Again, common sense. If something is is covered in excremant and placed in a bag you'd think to tie it up before you put it in the bin

"Ironing only" - This is on a box which lives on the ironing shelve. Pretty useless..

"Warning! Be careful when lifting down! Contains glass vases" - I hate this one the most as somebody has written a note, stuck it there, then somebody else has come along and thoughtfully drawn pictures of vases all the way around the note as if we need reminding what they look like.

"To all staff - please make sure bins are emptied after each shift - thank you" - Lazy staff. All bins are completely full after each shift. Always always full. It makes sense to empty them when you've finished. Apparently we have bone idle employees..

"HOT WATER!!!"Above the hot water machine we use for making tea and coffee drinks.

No sh!t!

Tumble dryer filter must be cleaned after every use" - We have 16 residants currently living at work..we do lots of tumbledrying. Lots of tumble drying means lots of fluff in the filter. dosn't take 2 seconds to clean it. Yet we have a sign telling us to do it...

"Please could all staff check that all washing dried in tumbledryer in completely dried and aired before putting away" - This only says to me that one very stupid colleuge put washing away that was still wet..

"Notice to all staff - please to not overload washing machine or tumble dryer" - Again this is just pure common sense.

"Any raw meat must be put put in the tub provided. Cooked meat, in tub provided" - What, you mean the tubs in the bottom of the fridge clearly mark 'Raw meat' and 'Cooked meat'?

"Dear all, please stop using this shelve as a dumping ground. If you have finished with your cup put it away, thanks!" - A bit of scrap paper glued onto the shelve. I've never ever seen dirty cups of that shelve. Its a mystery!

"Do not remove fan from kitchen. Please turn off fan, not wall switch" - Why would you want to remove the fan from the kitchen? This confuses me even more as this note appeared in the middle of winter..

Gah! Rant rant I hate work rant.

We have a staff meeting on thursday. I might make a note saying "Warning! Hot air!" and stick it on the managers mouth...

I'm surprised by the vitriol here- you really don't like it, do you smile

Written by:

...common sense...

I think we can all agree that many people lack 'common sense' at times, whether it's due to them being exceptionally tired or maybe they're just genuinely unobservant/stupid.

As you youreslf say, most such signs occur because, at some point, someone did something that went against 'common sense'.

Written by:

The warning notice makes complete sense to me- anyone who does lift down a box a gets a faceful of glass vases is likely to be badly hurt, and it could well leave the organisation open to being sued.

I expect many such signs are similarly-

1. necessary from a H & S perspective

2. a legal requirement.

As for the little pictures of vases- a nice touch for those who may have reading difficulties.

Written by:

Yet so many places have piled up dishes- maybe this 'common sense' is rarer than its name would suggest smile

Written by:

No sh!t!

There's been several times when I've found myself in a unfamiliar office trying to work out which is the hot water tap, as they happen to look identical.

There's not necessarily consistency in whether it's on the right or left; not all have the red/blue tap marking, and, even if they do, what about colour-blind people?

I'm not saying that this is the case as I don't know you;but, from the tone of your post I think you may come across as being someone who's not so much annoyed by signs/notes, but who happens to be one of those individuals who has an attitude about Health and Safety in general.

Personally, having seen some of the consequences where people at work have been scalded or maimed by unmarked hazards, I'm all for it.

I would hope that people at least reflect on the fact that human beings communicate in different ways- while some get on well with verbal communication and have good enough memories that it's effective- others are much happier with written reminders on the equipment they're using.

As a self-employed person having to do a lot of records keeping, accounts, contacts lists, work diaries etc; and one whose memory is not particularly good, I nevertheless manage well precisely because I don't leave thigs to memory, but instead use lots of lists and notes.

I recall the time I arrived to run a worshop on diabolo, juggling and poi- looking through my rucksack packed with diabolos, devil sticks, balls, rings etc; and reaslising, with a growing sense of horror, that I'd forgotten to pack a single diabalo stick!

That was the last time i ever packed without using a checklist.

"You can't outrun Death forever.
But you can make the Bastard work for it."

--MAJOR KORGO KORGAR,
"Last of The Lancers"
AFC 32

Educate your self in the Hazards of Fire Breathing STAY SAFE!

Patriarch917SILVER Member
I make my own people.
607 posts

Posted:
I know the legal reason for putting signs everywhere. Its the reason you put warning labels on things, or the fine print on contract. No one really reads them, but if you get sued it helps to have something you can point to to say "see, if they had just paid attention they could have avoided the problem."

BirgitBRONZE Member
4,145 posts

Posted:
Written by: NYC

Oh yeah, it's important to sign your signs. I hate ghost The easy way to figure it out is just replace it with a "Do Not Refill When Empty" sign and see who gets the most pissed off. wink

Actually the "fill me up" ones absolutely offended one of our Polish guest doctors... he thought it sounded sexual and offensive ubblol

My other favourite sign is next to the doors for the cold rooms (rooms kept at 4°C so we don't need 50 fridges in every lab): "Please do not obstruct this space since it can compromise the functionality of the cold room doors". In other words, the doors won't open. Would've been easy to say smile

Oh, and our new techie brought a box with her stuff in the office. It's one of the boxes we get the printing paper in... so someone opened it to refill the printer, and she got very offended. So now there's 10 times her name on the box, on all 4 sides, and "NO PRINTING PAPER!!!!!", too. (She had taken the opening of the box very personally until I explained that everyone thought it was a paper box...)

I wonder if she keeps a nuclear bomb or something in it. Or kinky underwear? We all have drawers with locks, so it's not like you have to keep secret stuff in a box on the shared shelves... wink Maybe I should put a note up!!

(G.W. Dahlquist)

EeraBRONZE Member
old hand
1,107 posts

Posted:
Best one I ever saw was in a toilet on a minesite, this thing took an entire sheet of A4 up in 16 font and had what to do under every thinkable permutation of things that could happen in a toilet:

"If you leave marks please scrub them off with toilet brush"
"If you make a smell then disguise it with the air freshener"
"Please wait to see if everything flushes."
etc

To this day I haven't worked out if it was serious or not.

There is a slight possibility that I am not actually right all of the time.

BirgitBRONZE Member
4,145 posts

Posted:
I've once seen an actually funny one... this one:
https://img78.exs.cx/img78/3417/klobuerste18uz.jpg

the text reads:
"very wrong" - "wrong" - "nearly right" - "right"

At least it's so over-patronising that you know you're supposed to find it funny!

(G.W. Dahlquist)

VampyricAcidSILVER Member
veteran
1,286 posts

Posted:
i like writing notes cos i make them artistic and pretty, and take ages to do them so it means i spend less time thinking i should be working...i also like useless notes smile

Proudly Owned By The BMVC

Are You Sniffing My Mitten?