Forums > Help! > how to hold sock poi

Login/Join to Participate
Page:
icewarriorSILVER Member
6 posts

Posted:
I tried searching for this but just can't find an answer. I just bought some from this site and don't know how to hold them. do you just hold them with your fingers? Don't you get worried that they will fly and hit someone on an accident? I already have some poi with the handles and it just seems weird without handles. Someone please give me some ideas. Maybe i just have to get used to holking them in my fingers. thanks Jeff

Mint SauceBRONZE Member
veteran
1,453 posts

Posted:
Any way you like do whatever feels comfortable

Some people like to wrap them round there hand others like to tie knots in them and hold the knots its up to you do whatever cones naturally.

If they are the sox of hop you may find them a bit long just holding the ends they are more suited to wrapping round your hands a few times but this limits the possibility of throws and stuff.

smile

before i met those lot i thought they'd be a bunch of dreadlocked hippies that smoked, set things on fire ,and drank a lot of tea but then when i met them....oh wait (PyroWill)

JayKittyGOLD Member
Mission: Ignition
534 posts

Posted:
Wrap around your hand and stretch poi out till its about the legnth of your arm.

Don't mind me, just passing through.

Mr ChutneySILVER Member
Tosser
1,712 posts

Posted:
I have knots/ handles which I lightly hold between forefinger and thumb smile

mechBRONZE Member
Carpal \'Tunnel
6,207 posts

Posted:
speaking of those chuckney, your womder knots came out, you need to tie some more for me!

when you going to come to sheff and do it for me?

Step (el-nombrie)

MikeIconGOLD Member
Pooh-Bah
2,109 posts

Posted:
Personally, I tie knots in the ends. I also hold mine a bit differently than most others, although, I find its a very effective method. Instead of holding the knot or putting it between my fingers, I grip the sock in my fist, letting the knot hang below my palm (pinky side) to stop it from slipping out of my grip, and just holding part of the sock between my thumb and fore fingers.

Let's turn those old bridges we crossed into ashes.
We'll blaze a new trail,
and torch the rough patches.

-Me

TinklePantsGOLD Member
Clique Infiltrator, Cunning Linguist and Master Debator
4,219 posts

Posted:
I also prefer to knot sock poi, it acts as an anchor when I hold it between my index and middle finger. Experiment with different ways, see which one you're most comfortable with biggrin

My stretchy poi from here have three knots in them, so without wrapping I can vary the length of the poi.

Always use "so's your face" and "only on Tuesdays" in as many conversations possible

MynciBRONZE Member
Macaque of all trades
8,738 posts

Posted:
I have recently learnt poi and follow Tinks Knot method also wink

A couple of balls short of a full cascade... or maybe a few cards short of a deck... we'll see how this all fans out.

icewarriorSILVER Member
6 posts

Posted:
Thanks guys! I'll practice and see which way feels right. Keep Smilin!!! Ice

nearly_all_goneSILVER Member
Pooh-Bah
1,626 posts

Posted:
I don't know why I've never tried it before this thread, but knots are the way forward! I've always struggled with the pain in my thumbs from holding them between thumb and forefinger.. nice thread for saving my thumbs! biggrin

What a wonderful miracle if only we could look through each other's eyes for an instant.
Thoreau

solar_bearSILVER Member
journeyman
78 posts

Posted:
I've only been spinning less than a month and have been using the socks I was given to practice new moves and work up a bit of speed.

Originally they had a round knot in them, but I found that difficult to grip. In the end I untied it and rolled the socks down from the top. Then I wrapped the rest of the sock around the rolled up bit and pulled it tight into a knot. This gives a comfy, "T-bar" type handle, which sits nicely across the base of all four fingers.

I suppose it would be possible to cut holes in the handle and turn them into loops of a kind, but they're someone else's socks so I'll save that idea for later.

It may stop, but it never ends.

dawn2duskBRONZE Member
34 posts

Posted:
I have a ball full of something at the end of my socks to balance them for throws - fixed with a tangle. It' s an experiment - I hold them from there, but they' re starting to become more and more long, so I found here the advice of Tinkle - dunno why I hadn' t thought about it before O___o - so... ball plus knots smile and hold the knots between your fingers ^^

***Feelings are anarchist - I feel - I am an anarchist***

DuncGOLD Member
playing the days away
7,263 posts

Posted:
don't hold them, it's much more fun wink

I find mine changes continuously when spinning and no one technique prevails. Mostly I spin socks/cones and it varies from out from between the index and middle finger, sometimes between thumb and forefinger, sometimes (but rearely although one specific move needs it to look pretty) from out by the pinky but I can't spin like that for long. Oh and sometime from inside my fist with the string pointing from out of my palm if you get my meaning?

Use various and find whats comfiest for you, theres no right or wrong way, just try as many as you can think of and see how it goes smile

Let's relight this forum ubblove

GeezaGOLD Member
addict
694 posts

Posted:
 Written by: solar_bear

I've only been spinning less than a month and have been using the socks I was given to practice new moves and work up a bit of speed.

Originally they had a round knot in them, but I found that difficult to grip. In the end I untied it and rolled the socks down from the top. Then I wrapped the rest of the sock around the rolled up bit and pulled it tight into a knot. This gives a comfy, "T-bar" type handle, which sits nicely across the base of all four fingers.

I suppose it would be possible to cut holes in the handle and turn them into loops of a kind, but they're someone else's socks so I'll save that idea for later.

Id be interested in this type of grip, so i can hold the poi with my index and 3rd finger (one next ot pinky) I dont really understand how you are making the T-bar by wrapping the rest of the sock around the rolled down bit.

Please explain more, thanks smile

Mr MajestikSILVER Member
coming to a country near you
4,696 posts

Posted:
in ya mouth! tongue and then you can dance! it looks really good! i know cause i paid someone to do it wink

"but have you considered there is more to life than your eyelids?"

jointly owned by Fire_Spinning_Angel and Blu_Valley

GeezaGOLD Member
addict
694 posts

Posted:
Ive got some HOP socks aswell. If I put a few knots in them it would make it harder do do things like hand wraps wouldnt it? Ive tried wrapping around my hand once and its fine for a while but they slowly unwrap and irritates whatever fingers it passes through (usually my middle and index)

ChimneyBRONZE Member
85 posts

Posted:
I have big chunky knots on them and I hold them between my forefinger and middlefinger. They are good for throws this way and doing weird things around your arms.

GeezaGOLD Member
addict
694 posts

Posted:
 Written by: Chimney

I have big chunky knots on them and I hold them between my forefinger and middlefinger. They are good for throws this way and doing weird things around your arms.

thanks, is it still easy to do wraps with them as they will be quite a bit shorter?

GeezaGOLD Member
addict
694 posts

Posted:
oops, im sure i did a search

[Old link]

try this way

saskianonewbie
1 post

Posted:
hey people, Im new to all this and today I bought a pair of sock poi. Now I've never done this before, it's looks easy tho lol. anyway after watching the free lessons I cant help think that I made a mistake, should I have bought one with handles? because I find it hard to keep my wrists down and then palms up etc for the different directions. It looks alot easier with handles.

LadyDayBRONZE Member
18 posts

Posted:
A friend of mine made two loops handles for his sock poi from the nylon-bands on a backpack and a keyring (and a bit of handiness with needle and thread). Works great! I'm thinking of doing the same to my socks, since I prefer that kind of handles!

FireTomStargazer
6,650 posts

Posted:
smurf wink just put a knot at both ends...

hug

the best smiles are the ones you lead to wink

DarkFyreBRONZE Member
HoP mage and keeper of the fireballs
1,965 posts

Posted:
Use a knot and hold them in any fashion that feels comfortable

May my balls of fire set your balls on fire devil

[Nx?]BRONZE Member
Carpal \'Tunnel
3,749 posts

Posted:
like a key!

This is a post by tom, all spelling is deleberate
-><- Kallisti

simian110% MONKEY EVERY TIME ALL THE TIME JUST CANT STOP THE MONKEY
3,149 posts

Posted:
 Written by: Mr_Chutney

lightly hold between forefinger and thumb smile

Written by: Nx?

like a key!

ditto

"Switching between different kinds of chuu chuu sometimes gives this "urgh wtf?" effect because it's giving people the phi phenomenon."

polaritySILVER Member
veteran
1,228 posts

Posted:
I make a slip knot so I can have the ends attached to my wrists with the knot sat at the base of my palm. I find I get more freedom of movement in the wrists if I'm not gripping something at the same time. Because the tendons for the fingers go right up the forearm, gripping pulls the joint tighter.

You aren't thinking or really existing unless you're willing to risk even your own sanity in the judgment of your existence.

Green peppers, lime pickle and whole-grain mustard = best sandwich filling.

darkness-beforeGOLD Member
Rock is dead, long live paper and scissors
197 posts

Posted:
If your problem is just that you want a loop to hold then tie a bowline in the end. They never come undone on their own but you can untie them easy enough. Hey presto, finger loops that don't tighten, loosen or fall off.

Eagles may soar but weasles don't get sucked into jet engines.

Telepath wanted, you know where to apply.

LadyDayBRONZE Member
18 posts

Posted:
Is there any way to tie two loops?

TheBovrilMonkeySILVER Member
Liquid Cow
2,629 posts

Posted:
Have a look here - it may contain something useful smile

But there's no sense crying over every mistake. You just keep on trying till you run out of cake.

LadyDayBRONZE Member
18 posts

Posted:
Perfect!

YakumoSILVER Member
veteran
1,237 posts

Posted:
mm, I want a little monkey fist handle or something for my chain firepoi really badly now, span with them for the first time in aaaaaages last weekend and really can't stand fingerloops now frown

Blinded by Hyperlights, please donate generously grin

Page: