Forums > Social Discussion > Public consultation on possible badger cull (UK)

Login/Join to Participate
Page:
simian110% MONKEY EVERY TIME ALL THE TIME JUST CANT STOP THE MONKEY
3,149 posts

Posted:
DEFRA are currently undertaking a public consultation (ending March 10th) with regards to a cull of the protected Eurasian Badger, to prevent the spread of bovine TB.

Scientific opinion (including that of DEFRA's own advisors) seems to be largely opposed to the cull, saying that it would be ineffective or counter-productive.

I'll give you a smattering of links and let you make your own minds up.

It seems unlikely that they'd go ahead with a cull, but not impossible.

Vets want badger cull to halt TB (BBC)

Defra deny preparations for cull have already started (BBC)

Latest findings show that killing badgers causes more cattle tuberculosis than it prevents (The-Scientist.com)

Stop The Cull website

"Switching between different kinds of chuu chuu sometimes gives this "urgh wtf?" effect because it's giving people the phi phenomenon."

Loki_the_tricksterSILVER Member
Has sharp edges
1,266 posts

Posted:
Written by: triskaidekia

Personally, I suggest a cull of cows in an atempt to stop TB in the Badger population, it's about as sensible.

rolleyes ubblol

My ADD makes it so that.....Ooooo SHINY.....wanna go ride bikes....wait....where am I.....

=Flashpoint=SILVER Member
Pasta of Muppets
2,722 posts

Posted:
ditto

I've sent my email now.

ohmygodlaserbeamspewpewpew!
ubbrollsmileubbrollsmileubbrollsmileubbrollsmile

.:star:.SILVER Member
Pooh-Bah
1,785 posts

Posted:
latest news
https://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/sci/tech/4802108.stm

jo_rhymesSILVER Member
Momma Bear
4,525 posts

Posted:
hurray! Thanks Star biggrin

Hoppers are angels who lift us to our feet when our wings have trouble remembering how to fly.

Gremlin_Loumember
131 posts

Posted:
I find children playingg in streets get in the way of cars as well, so lets have a cull of them. And pet dogs and cats. And fences. And tree's.

And on the foxhunting thing. I was raised in the country! I used to go foxhunting. And I campaigned tirelessely to have it BANNED. Whats humane about dogs *not* going straight for the throat, and dragging the animal by its back legs. Hmm, very humane.

Blo*dy Toffs.

As for the badger cull, if it was actually needed, i'd be very for it. But it isnt, most farmers don't understand the way wildlife works these days as most farming is indoor and intensive. TB is much more likely to be spread in the milking parlour than the field. Any older, experienced farmer will tell you that - I was taught that happy animals, who aren't pumped full of antibiotics have much better immune systems than those intensivly reared animals. Organic cattle suffer much less with TB than intensivly reared dairy and beef herds because their immune systems are fully developed.

Killing badgers solves nothing!

'If your deeds shouldn't be known, perhaps they shouldn't be done, if your words shouldn't be shared, perhaps they shouldn't be spoken. Act with attention, for all your acts have consequences" (Rabbi Judah HaNassi)

jo_rhymesSILVER Member
Momma Bear
4,525 posts

Posted:
thats why they decided not too biggrin

Hoppers are angels who lift us to our feet when our wings have trouble remembering how to fly.

jeff(fake)Scientist of Fortune
1,189 posts

Posted:
 Written by: Gremlin_Lou

As for the badger cull, if it was actually needed, i'd be very for it. But it isnt, most farmers don't understand the way wildlife works these days as most farming is indoor and intensive. TB is much more likely to be spread in the milking parlour than the field. Any older, experienced farmer will tell you that - I was taught that happy animals, who aren't pumped full of antibiotics have much better immune systems than those intensivly reared animals. Organic cattle suffer much less with TB than intensivly reared dairy and beef herds because their immune systems are fully developed.

Don't get me started on the use of anti-biotics in argriculture!

Gives all of science a bad name. mad

Why do the government never listen to the people who actually know what they are talking about. frown

According to Heisenberg's Uncertainty Principle of Quantum Dynamics, we may already be making love right now...

afghan_bingoSILVER Member
116 posts

Posted:
well, we dont have any baby seals so badgers are the next best thing!!

we were somewhere near barstow, on the edge of the desert, when the drugs began to take hold...

BirgitBRONZE Member
had her carpal tunnel surgery already thanks v much
4,145 posts

Posted:
This morning bbc said the badger cull was off smile
https://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/sci/tech/7489000.stm

"vices are like genitals - most are ugly to behold, and yet we find that our own are dear to us."
(G.W. Dahlquist)

Owner of Dragosani's left half

The Tea FairySILVER Member
old hand
853 posts

Posted:
Hooray! biggrin

Idolized by Aurinoko

Take me disappearing through the smoke rings of my mind....

Bob Dylan

Page: