Page:
Gayle......!SILVER Member
Pooh-Bah
2,444 posts

Posted:
We've moved into a nice house with a fairly decent sized garden and because it's rented i've been looking into outdoor firepits, to save wrecking the grass.

Here is one i've been looking at:

https://www.argos.co.uk/static/Product/pa...2Bchimeneas.htm

I'd like to know if anyone has any experience with these and what they thought of them. I'm looking into it so that i could have a fire in the back garden but wouldn't ruin the grass. I thought it would be ideal for late night BBQ's and also small meets...

Anything i should know about them? How long do they stay hot for after, are they transportable...that sort of thing.

Any alternative ideas are very welcome, although i'm very keen on the aesthetic (sp?) side of it.

Gayle.....!

jo_rhymesSILVER Member
Momma Bear
4,525 posts

Posted:
we have a different type of chiminea. Ours stays hot for a long time and isnt really transportable, its very heavy.
But yours looks great!! I say buy it because it would be ace in the garden. hug and its pretty too!

Hoppers are angels who lift us to our feet when our wings have trouble remembering how to fly.

alien_oddityCarpal \'Tunnel
7,193 posts

Posted:
frown i cant get that link to work

NYCNYC
9,232 posts

Posted:
Looks cool. smile

Keep in mind that spinning fire will spray fuel and kill grass if you do it in the same place every time.

Well, shall we go?
Yes, let's go.
[They do not move.]

GnorBRONZE Member
Carpal \'Tunnel
5,814 posts

Posted:
nice

We have one a bit like
this with a black metal finish and its great. Does go a bit rusty if left out but easy to store and light to shift around.

Is it the Truth?
Is it Fair to all concerned?
Will it build Goodwill and Better Friendships?
Will it be Beneficial to all concerned?

Im in a lonely battle with the world with a fish to match the chip on my shoulder. Gnu in Binnu in a cnu

SkulduggeryGOLD Member
Pirate Pixie Crew Captain
8,428 posts

Posted:
I like this one.

Feed me Chocolate!!! Feed me NOW!

jo_rhymesSILVER Member
Momma Bear
4,525 posts

Posted:
ubblol trust you to go for the expensive one, missy! :P

Hoppers are angels who lift us to our feet when our wings have trouble remembering how to fly.

SkulduggeryGOLD Member
8,428 posts

Posted:
Pffft you think thats the most expensive thing I've looked at buying today?

I've just found THIS and I soooooooooo want it!

Think what an amazing poi/hoop stall we could have under that Gayle ubblol

jo_rhymesSILVER Member
Momma Bear
4,525 posts

Posted:
wow! that is ace!!
£2000. pah. let's make one biggrin hehe

.:star:.SILVER Member
Pooh-Bah
1,785 posts

Posted:
I think the copper ones look really nice

https://www.flamingbarbecues.co.uk/Firepits/W29-Outdoor-Fireplace

jo_rhymesSILVER Member
Momma Bear
4,525 posts

Posted:
this one is pretty sweet too.

Non-Https Image Link

GeoffonTour04SILVER Member
enthusiast
360 posts

Posted:
dunno bout not wrecking the grass but I dug a 3ft wide round firepit in my garden & tiled the 2nd tier so you could sit next to the embers when it died, worked quite well until the tiles started exploding biggrin That was an interesting evening

Gonna buy an oildrum from the scrappy & sink it into the middle to hold the walls & build the rest out of bricks this year

DuncGOLD Member
playing the days away
7,263 posts

Posted:
Written by: Skulduggery

Pffft you think thats the most expensive thing I've looked at buying today?

I've just found THIS and I soooooooooo want it!

Think what an amazing poi/hoop stall we could have under that Gayle ubblol

That's a wicked tent! ubblove

Let's relight this forum ubblove

Pooh-Bah
2,444 posts

Posted:
Thanks for all the pictures guys and the comments.

I'm trying to get two for one at the moment. I would like the firepit i posted for summer BBQ's instead of a patio heater. Plus, i was also looking into it as a transportable fire for when spinners came to visit.

The reason why i investigated raised firepits was to save the grass underneath. I live in a rented house and don't really want to be held responsilbe for killing a nice big patch of grass. (NYC - there's not enough firespinning going on in my back garden to kill the grass that way)
Plus, if when spinners came to visit and we went to a nearby field to spin then i would like to think we could take that and have our fire in there, then remove it when we're done with no damage to the grass.

So, i understand from Gnor that's there a possibility it's going to be fairly transportable (Bird - better remove that sub from your boot wink )

does anyone know how hot they get, or how long to cool down. Do i have to take a padlock with me to a field and chain it up so that it's still there in the morning to take back home?

Am i onto a good idea or can anybody point out the fatal flaws cos i don't want to buy it only to find out it spits burning embers at people.

Oh and Skully, if i had the money to buy that tent then i would. The poi and hoop stall would be AMAZING!! biggrin

Gayle.....!

pineapple peteSILVER Member
water based
5,125 posts

Posted:
can i move in there with you skully?

i like the look of the first one, we have a big clay chimenea, it doesnt seem to work too well tongue

cheers, pete hug

"you know there are no trophys for doing silly things in real life yeah pete?" said ant "you wont get a 'listened to ride of the valkyries all the way to vietnam' trophy"

*proud owner of the very cute fire_spinning_angel, birgit and neon shaolin*

DuncGOLD Member
playing the days away
7,263 posts

Posted:
It would get very hot

Spitting embers is all about the wood used, it's open so if it's spitty wood then yes, to a degree, the wood would.

It would take a couple of hours to cool completely, perhaps less to be handled with gloves etc.

jo_rhymesSILVER Member
Momma Bear
4,525 posts

Posted:
Written by: Dunc

spitty wood

ubblol

DuncGOLD Member
playing the days away
7,263 posts

Posted:
You're rude! spank

Gayle....alternatively, you could just buy a metal bucket, drill a couple holes in the bottom to let air in, fill it with wood and burn it biggrin Doesn't matter if someone nicks it then cuz it's only worth pennies smile

Pooh-Bah
2,444 posts

Posted:
Thanks Dunc, an idea for the travelling fire pit - although not all that big to crowd round.

Well it seems that there's not all that many issues with these that people know about so i guess i'll buy one and see. Hopefully it won't be a waste of £100.

Thanks people.

Gayle.....!

NYCNYC
9,232 posts

Posted:

Spitting embers is all about the wood used, it's open so if it's spitty wood then yes, to a degree, the wood would.

How much wood would a spitty wood spit if a spitty wood would spit wood?

I'll bet that chick that sells sea shells by the seashore would know.

wink

Well, shall we go?
Yes, let's go.
[They do not move.]

Pooh-Bah
2,444 posts

Posted:
ubblol

Gayle.....!

GnorBRONZE Member
Carpal \'Tunnel
5,814 posts

Posted:
Ours you could bolt the iron work base to something but not the top. Unless you somehow attached the bowl to something. Its very light weight and our bowl in quite flat so would transport in a car well. Sooty but well.

Once the fire is out it cooled fairly quickly. Its really nice to have a circle of Bullsh*t around as well. We have used ours a fair bit and hasnt rusted but we bring it in as well. Plus it was cheap..$99 so thats um..40 punds

My only safety worry is that its at good height for kids to fall into. We also use a 44 gallon drum that is awesome but cumbersome.

Putting pics in my gallery.

Is it the Truth?
Is it Fair to all concerned?
Will it build Goodwill and Better Friendships?
Will it be Beneficial to all concerned?

Im in a lonely battle with the world with a fish to match the chip on my shoulder. Gnu in Binnu in a cnu

Pooh-Bah
2,444 posts

Posted:
Thank Gnor, that's the sort of info i was after smile

Gayle.....!

NYCNYC
9,232 posts

Posted:
Also be sure that it's legal to light it wherever you light it. I know if we tried that in a park in New York we'd have SWAT teams dropping on us from helicoptors.

Well, shall we go?
Yes, let's go.
[They do not move.]

DuncGOLD Member
playing the days away
7,263 posts

Posted:
ubblol Oh no hang on you're serious aren't you....

SkulduggeryGOLD Member
8,428 posts

Posted:
I've found an even nicer canvas tent that I seriously want to own. Then again I also want to buy this boat.

I need to get back onto sugardaddies.com and find myself a rich biatch to fund all this ubblol

Gayle if you want a transportable fire pit why not get and old metal wheelbarrow, drill a few air holes in it and away to go. You'd have to replace the wheel for a metal one but that shouldn't be too hard and as long as you wore thick fireproof oven mits you could move it pretty much as soon as the fire went out.

SeyeSILVER Member
Geek
1,261 posts

Posted:
I just found this fo £74 including postage...

Non-Https Image Link

·Diameter 30" / 76 cm (from edge of bowl)

·Height 18’’ / 46 cm with safety guard (13" x 33cm without)

Its on https://www.gardenandhome.net/

I'm goin to order one on monday biggrin
EDITED_BY: Seye (1142111639)

Pooh-Bah
2,444 posts

Posted:
Well, i've bought the one i posted in the first post. It's arriving on Thursday so i'll post once it's arrived and let people know what i thought of it.

Gayle.....!

SeyeSILVER Member
Geek
1,261 posts

Posted:
I just got the one I posted above for £59.99 including delivery in an auction on E-Bay. biggrin

Porta-fire for the Manc meets biggrin

Mint SauceBRONZE Member
veteran
1,453 posts

Posted:

It would get very hot

It would take a couple of hours to cool completely, perhaps less to be handled with gloves etc.

before i met those lot i thought they'd be a bunch of dreadlocked hippies that smoked, set things on fire ,and drank a lot of tea but then when i met them....oh wait (PyroWill)

Pooh-Bah
2,444 posts

Posted:
Well, it arrived on Thursday and Argos being Argos deliver one which is totally different to the one advertised. Although structully the same all the mosiac is different and is a rather dull creamy shade.

So, when i rang them up to ask if they actually had one like the one they advertised they said "no, but you were warned it would vary from the picture."

Vary? I expect variations in pattern and size of the tiles but not a completely different pit angry

Haven't lit it yet, hope to soon.

smile

Gayle.....!

Page: