Forums > Videos > teaser for the teaser

Login/Join to Participate
Page:
arashiPooh-Bah
2,364 posts

Posted:
well i went ahead and did it. i'm pretty happy with the first round, but there were lots of technical details to overcome... IOW there's more shoots to come.

currently in the compression phase. all who've offered to host vids for me, please get ready!!

stay tuned for a vid within the week.

-Such a price the gods exact for song: to become what we sing
-Seek freedom and become captive of your desires. Seek discipline and find your liberty.
-When the center of the storm does not move, you are in its path.

Mr ChutneySILVER Member
Tosser
1,712 posts

Posted:
SO now everyones shagging in here?

Glad to see the videos made it-

WoW.

Loved the atomic stuff, loved the non atomic stuff, loved the movement (though I'd probably wobble if I tried the belly dancing biggrin)

And I loved the lightsaber wink

Thanks for a really inspirarational vid smile

DeepSoulSheepGOLD Member
Carpal \'Tunnel
2,617 posts

Posted:
Groovy!

I digged it... thank you for everything! smile

I live in a world of infinite possibilities.

alphalightGOLD Member
103 posts

Posted:
ur circles, body and soul enlight the poiworld

u are the official spirit of poispaceship-goldolight

i don´t like it i looooooove it amigo del luz

merci infiniment
ap sunny

peace and light

MikeIconGOLD Member
Pooh-Bah
2,109 posts

Posted:
Nice Arashi...

While the spinning was good, I think I liked the costume and props more. Your costume is very female high elvish (sorry, Im an ex-EverQuest addict), whered you get that belt?

The atomics were probably the main attraction for me move wise because it showed me that I indeed do them a bit differently... Now Im not sure if what Im doing is what youre doing, just differently, or if Im doing something different all together. Anyway, Ill definately be taking a closer look at that later.

Ill be nice and the only criticism Ill give is that your spinning seemed a bit sloppy and I hope the non-teaser is a bit more refined.

Regardless of the moves, if/when I meet you next, Ill be wanting some costume tips first... And I wont let you get away so easily.

Oh, and I think I need a light saber.

Let's turn those old bridges we crossed into ashes.
We'll blaze a new trail,
and torch the rough patches.

-Me

MikeIconGOLD Member
Pooh-Bah
2,109 posts

Posted:
And while Im here, I was curious...

Anyone ever tell you you look like DJ Qualls?

Let's turn those old bridges we crossed into ashes.
We'll blaze a new trail,
and torch the rough patches.

-Me

Gayle......!SILVER Member
Pooh-Bah
2,444 posts

Posted:
*insert some grumble about work download restrictions and having to wait until i get home*

Gayle.....!

Sporkyaddict
663 posts

Posted:
Now all you need is a dual bladed lightsabre and you can really piss off meg tongue

I vote Arashi for the next Star Wars thingy (whether its a movie or TV series).

Have faith in what you can do and respect for what you can't

mcpPLATINUM Member
Flying Water Muppet
5,276 posts

Posted:
what do you mean? He already has, just by existing.

"the now legendary" - Kaskade
"the still legendary" - Kaskade

I spunked in my friend's aquarium and the fish ate it. I love all fish. Especially the pink ones. They are my bitches. - Anon.

Chronofracture333Hobo Gaylord
329 posts

Posted:
Written by: andrealee

ps-if ya were here, you could have sex ya know! wink
angel

ditto biggrin

*no moves there are no moves there are no moves there are no moves there are no moves there are no*

"Oooh, what a shiny new move!"

TinklePantsGOLD Member
Clique Infiltrator, Cunning Linguist and Master Debator
4,219 posts

Posted:
sweet - loving the shimmying hips biggrin

Always use "so's your face" and "only on Tuesdays" in as many conversations possible

Sporkyaddict
663 posts

Posted:
Written by: mcp

what do you mean? He already has, just by existing.

ubblol How did I know you were going to say that?

The dual bladed ones would mean he'd have to learn staff. Now that'd be a scary thought. wink

mcpPLATINUM Member
Flying Water Muppet
5,276 posts

Posted:
I have met arashi so... not really. wink

"the now legendary" - Kaskade
"the still legendary" - Kaskade

I spunked in my friend's aquarium and the fish ate it. I love all fish. Especially the pink ones. They are my bitches. - Anon.

Sporkyaddict
663 posts

Posted:
Damn. Now all we have to do is think of some form of object manipulation he can't do wink

turtle tossing anyone?

arashiPooh-Bah
2,364 posts

Posted:
i am VERY adept at tossing my turtle, thank you.

-Seek freedom and become captive of your desires. Seek discipline and find your liberty.

arashiPooh-Bah
2,364 posts

Posted:
p.s. i TOLD you guys the spinning was crap, this is just a screen test rolleyes

KaelGotRiceGOLD Member
Basu gasu bakuhatsu - because sometimes buses explode
1,584 posts

Posted:
somehow that comes across as something with sexual implications to me umm

Or maybe that's just me. wink

I'm halfway through the download.

To do: More Firedrums 08 video?

Wildfire/US East coast fire footage

LA/EDC glow/fire footage

Fresno fire

yoniGOLD Member
Carpal \'Tunnel
3,099 posts

Posted:
rather nice video

*note to self learn to belly dance*

UCOF "evolution: Poi -> stick -> hoops -> devil stick -> juggling club -> juggling ball -> crayons."

Supergroovalsticprosifunkstication
In other words, it's the thumps bump

Sporkyaddict
663 posts

Posted:
The first couple of lightsabre-y bits were great. Where did you get it from?

fNiGOLD Member
master of disaster
3,354 posts

Posted:
*grumbles about qt and goes to find a not f**ed up computer to watch on*

[edit]

*swoooons*

that was indeed very lovely
EDITED_BY: fireNice (1142017347)

kyrian: I've felt your finger connect with me many times
lou kitten: sneaky little meatball..
ezz: please corrupt me more

SkulduggeryGOLD Member
Pirate Pixie Crew Captain
8,428 posts

Posted:
Thats just NOT fair! It's Flippin' FFFFFHUGE! Stupid dial up connection *kicks modem* Now I don't get to see the sexy skinny man do his thang! *sulks*

Feed me Chocolate!!! Feed me NOW!

Gayle......!SILVER Member
Pooh-Bah
2,444 posts

Posted:
When cheap body transplants become available on the NHS can i have your tummy?

Nice to see atomics finally, now to find someone to teach me biggrin

Lynne - if i see you on sunday i'll burn you a copy??

Gayle.....!

LazyAngelGOLD Member
Carpal \'Tunnel
2,895 posts

Posted:
awesome vid: very nice costume and special fx smile

oh and the spinning was quite nice too wink

Thanks for sharing!

Because ActiveAngel sounds like a feminine deodorant

Like sex, I'm much more interesting in real life than online.

'Be the change you want to see in the world around you' - Ghandi

_khan_SILVER Member
old hand
768 posts

Posted:
At long last I got to see the fabled Arashi workin' his mojo! The atomics were indeed sweet -- I realize now that I've never seen proper atomics before...or I've been seeing a different version of atomics. LOVED the costume/prop combo with the lighting...a really fantastic aesthetic. Can't wait to see the proper version of this...and that lightsabre!! ubblove swoon ubblove or was it that shimmying tummy that made me swoon? I don't know. See how your spell has confounded me?

Seriously tho, this was a good draft...looking forward to the final product.

taken out of context i must seem so strange
~ ani di franco

i8beefy2GOLD Member
addict
674 posts

Posted:
Hmm... So atomics can be cool...

AnonymousPLATINUM Member

Posted:
Arashi is now the new StarWars kid! wink tongue

BansheeCatBRONZE Member
veteran
1,247 posts

Posted:
Costuming? Eh? Isn't that how Arashi always dresses? umm

Now that I have recovered , I shall try for a sensible comment or two

* forgive me if I lapse, drooling on the keyboard...*

I really enjoy that you move while spinning: levels , directions, in between spaces, swivels and dips and hips, the whole bit. More, more, cut loose why don't ya!- bigger space would help to be sure- Utilizing the position of head/gaze/hand postures adds impact to moves that may otherwise not be significant. It has a flow to it that I appreciate, and though relaxed, almost slack in spinning style, you have an intensity that makes it engaging. The variation of tempo spinning worked for me too, though could even be more exaggerated for effect- without effects... The performance/vid was not the least predictable, and I like that too. I could not even identify individual moves, for the most part, which was great. I thought from 4.20 to the end the best, not sure why yet. All in all, you met my *ahem*, desire, for a new dancy poi vid...

In addition to the movement, I liked both the quirky funky music and the filming style: the saturated colours, contrast, cuts and effects really contributed to the overall edgy cool feel of it clap

A whip would take it to that next level though.Seriously.ubbloco

Thanks!!! can't wait for the real deal, and you can keep the stripey sock-- I would be honoured for you to have it.Though I have no memory of how you got it in the first place , so someone really ought to make up a good story...

kiss

"God *was* my co-pilot, but then we crashed, and I had to eat him..."

arashiPooh-Bah
2,364 posts

Posted:
well in light of icon's utter lack of amazement tongue i'm doing the real shoot this sunday.

thanks for the compliments. if you guys liked THAT...

icon i promise to put more tech in it just for you trust me there's more wink and i made the whole costume myself. the belt is two belts, i made the one underneath with the snow leapord print and the metal. So you're saying i look like a chick with no planes and a stoned computer nerd wrapped in one? gee such a sweet tongue you've got there, dunno if i can take the charm

yes andrea's got it... costumes huh? and yes the last half was my fave, really that's when we changed the angle of the camera and i had a bit more room.

i got the light saber on ebay. it's "mace windu's"

I AM THE NEW STAR WARS KID!!! WOOOHOOOOO!!!

arashiPooh-Bah
2,364 posts

Posted:
well here's my first constructive criticism critique... even though this was a pm i'm posting it cause i feel like it. it's now anonymous and i thought perhaps folks might like to see the dialogue. there's some very valid points. it's not quite as sweet as andrea's though wink hug (and thanks andrea for the input)

Written by:

you obviously have some jedi mindskills... I mean.. I saw that vid... you saw that vid. I think we both agree on what we saw. yet people are talking about how lovely the spinning was?!?

lets be honest with each other

- the stalls were jerky

- you were hesitant with a lot of your movement, which broke up any flow and caused the poi to wobble at some poitns so bad that it came across almost as a flailing

- the atoms that everyone praised were inverted atoms Ie. atomic buzzsaws, which are the easiest to work with.. you did the atom clean, which was nice, but some of the play that you did, just left me wondering wtf... and not the 'that was pimp' wtf

- you looked afraid of the camera a lot of the time

we can continue down the list, but I think the point is made. I know you know this, so its not like I'm giving you crap or pretending to yield a critique, or insight or anything. And I'm not being a dick. You're a performer. you do this for a living. What would people say if you went out and gave that as a performance? you know, so you understand where I'm coming from on this.

Now this isnt to say that it should have been spectacular or anything. I understand that isn't the inention. But I gotta know this jedi mindtrick you do. You waved your hand and said 'This is not the crap spinning you think you see'. and people bought it..

I must have this secret. Is it the belly? does showing a little skin distract people from the poi? I mean, how does this work?

so here's my response. sounds like a bunch of excuses maybe?

- i got to the shoot 2 hours from my house and my poi didn't work well with the lighting so i used glass' poi which i brought as an emergency backup because he is very cool friend and i respect him and i thought it'd be nice to use them seeings as though i had no choice rolleyes. but they wiegh like 1/200the of a pound and i never play with them lately. they move if you breathe on them heavy and i do lall my spinning with heavy poi so yes the planes and spinning was shite exactlly like i told you it would be.

- i couldn't MOVE without the white wall behind me showing so what you didn't hear was the camera guy yelling "too far" every five seconds. how's that for flow? by the second half of the vid though we figured out three poses that actually fit in the camera so i started improvising within those.

-for any other "your spinning is censored" comments see my first paragraph. or every post i've made in this thread, either will do.

-well that's because half the time i'm not looking at the camera i'm looking over at the monitor to see if what i'm doing is in the screen anymore. yes it looks like a deer in the headlights, esp. with the blacklights showing the whites of my eyes, sorry but isn't it obvious what's happening there?? every time i take a step i jerk back to where i was cause he's yelling that i'm too close. we threw this together in one night, captured and edited in about 2 hours, and MOST of the clips that he put in made me cringe, in fact three of my least favorite moments in the whole shoot got put in and i would never use them for a serious video. so sue me.

-as for the rest... ubblol ubblol ubblol i think you're probably glad i left this anonymous and even edited out telltale grammar devil

people are just being nice cause it's not about how tech or impressive my spinning is, nor is it a performance it's just a friggin test shoot. and i have to say there's some parts in there that i'm proud of, lots of them in fact, regardless of whether or not i've impressed you or myself.

there's more i could add too. the part where my fingers in my free hand are open slightly while in the mantis style with the sword is absolutely atrocious, it's neither a grab or a punch but an oopsie mandala thrown in. i told him "start it after the fingers close at least" and he heard something else, and there it is. we knew during the shoot it was not good, by the time we got to editing, we knew the shoot didn't really work out so we were just throwing it together. also the part where i hold the sword over my head and then the time reverses is also the worst form of parry i've ever seen, i asked him not to put it in but it was 5:30 in the morning.

the airwraps were all sloppy. and basic.

wtf is up with those waistwraps, half of them hit my body! wow it's almost like i didn't really care because it's just a first draft.

i could critique that thing all day but sorry i'd rather go practice...
EDITED_BY: arashi (1142072381)

oliSILVER Member
not with cactus
2,052 posts

Posted:
*i wish arrashi was a girl..... * - oops did i say that...

nice work. beerchug . yess please to more atomics /technical stuff in the next one... thanks for posting, good to see a video that is on a different kind of level to what im used too . weavesmiley

Me train running low on soul coal
They push+pull tactics are driving me loco
They shouldn't do that no no no

newgabeSILVER Member
what goes around comes around. unless you're into stalls.
4,030 posts

Posted:
Post deleted by newgabe

.....Can't juggle balls but I sure as hell can juggle details....

Page: