Forums > Beginner Poi Moves > the best spinner in the world... and the state of spinning today

Login/Join to Participate
Page: ...
bluecatgeek, level 1
5,300 posts

Posted:
once upon a time, when my horizons were small, and the total number of members on hop was less than my currrent member number(aaah the good old days when i went by mineiro biggrin ), i harboured a secret(hah!) desire and need to be 'the best spinner in the world'

this year, with organising uber events, travelling the world, and being generally reinspired to spin after a year of jugglefever i have come to the following conclusion:

there will never be a best spinner in the world.

i long ago stopped thinking it would be me ubblol but now have stopped thinking it could be anyone.

why?
well. theres a few obvious reasons.
spinning is not competitive, its contemplative. this means you will never be able to judge objectively who is 'better' at spinning. and long may it remain that way.

people have entirely different focuses(foci? focal points? crocuses?). how can you compare RHD to meghan? you can't. simple as that. unless meg spends a year on throws, and antti and tommi spend a year on contact(which, quite scarily, i think they have....). or.. glass and oli. eek! what kind of comparison is that?
and, most importantly, people who have different focuses have got soooooooooo good at the individual sections of what they do that in order to catch up you'd have to give up on another section, allowing some other single minded bugger to totally forge off into the future and blow you away when you look back at what you used to do. some good examples being wibblingmatt, rhd again, meenik hug, devkev, oli... the list is long and there are so many i have not named.

one of the great things about these people, and many of their contemporaries is the new respect that spinning gains within the performing and specifically object manipulation communities. no longer can a snooty juggler(or diabolist, or staff spinner about poi, etcetc) turn round and say 'huh, poi is not worth my time because i could learn everything in a day' (and beleive me, that is an accurate paraphrase from bristol juggling convention three years ago from a top juggler). it takes time and dedication, understanding and insight, openness and a willingness to share to become a top level spinner.

Some kind of conclusion? hmmm. well, er... i don't really have one, and i suppose i'm opening this up for some kind of discussion here. i don't want replies that say 'xxxxxxxxx is the best'. i want to know how people feel spinning is developing and has changed since you started. i want to know what you respect about people that inspire you, and how you feel that inspiration is good for the community at large. i want to know what you don't like about the new spinning community, and how it has been belittled by its incredible growth.

i also recently rebumped an awesome thread of NYCs about 'the london factor' (sorry, no link, cold fingers) i'd like to hear also what you think makes a successful spinning community and why some places deliver one style as opposed to another... er. that'll do for starters. i need a cup of tea.

i one last thing: I consider it an honour that many of the most innovative and exciting spinners in the world are my friends, and choose to spend some of their time sharing their skills and inspiring me to develop mine. thank you all( i think you know who you are).

Rob

Holistic Spinner (I hope)

LazyAngelGOLD Member
Carpal \'Tunnel
2,895 posts

Posted:
Written by: bluecat

spinning is not competitive, its contemplative. this means you will never be able to judge objectively who is 'better' at spinning. and long may it remain that way.

clap Well said Rob!

Because ActiveAngel sounds like a feminine deodorant

Like sex, I'm much more interesting in real life than online.

'Be the change you want to see in the world around you' - Ghandi

bluecatgeek, level 1
5,300 posts

Posted:
i've got a small edit tho

martial artists and baton twirlers
need i say more?

as for that quote LA, i once thought very differently, and may do so again, but for now, ta biggrin

newgabeSILVER Member
what goes around comes around. unless you're into stalls.
4,030 posts

Posted:
Indeed, nice thread Rob.
From my vantage point (the back deck) I have seen the development of spinning over the last 10 or so years. I have made tea for many of the 'best'. I have watched them drop and get burned and try again and get it, and watched little boys turn into stunning professionals. I have seen people with the most extraordinary levels of talent, grace and dedication barely able to scratch a living, and have been honoured to offer them a clean space a mumsy hug and a place to play. I repatch the grass each winter to prepare for the European exodus seeking summer lawns. Why? Because this is the most inspiring group of people I have ever come across. French grace, English eccentricity, Canadian sweetness Aussie sweat or American flash, it all warms my heart. My favorite thing of all, is that total beginners can play right next to 'the best' and everyone is making sense in their own circle. Lovin it.

.....Can't juggle balls but I sure as hell can juggle details....

KaelGotRiceGOLD Member
Basu gasu bakuhatsu - because sometimes buses explode
1,584 posts

Posted:
This thread is made of truth and love.

Keep spinning peoples hug

To do: More Firedrums 08 video?

Wildfire/US East coast fire footage

LA/EDC glow/fire footage

Fresno fire

RicheeBRONZE Member
HOP librarian
1,841 posts

Posted:
I respect on peple that ispire me, their willing to teach, the opennes as way to develop yourself.

Community is for me, sharing, helping each other. Showing new things, making Poi better, family.

I mede a list what I'd like to seee in the future:

Perforamce - As way to show spinning to public.

Workshop - As way to show how easy it can be to public.

School - To give a educational and livestyle value.

Shop - We sell staff, but where are books?

Books - I made a list of the known, but still they are missing in shelves. The reason is visuality, that why encyclopedia with images, may better electronic book with videoloop could be very helpfull(wikimedia, Omnimodus).

Videos - Those with perforrmance quality, mostly shared now as single pieces, but the idea of DVD is still present (sphercular DVD), workshops can be on tape too.

Center - Where one can come and:

-can make own spinning pro.

-can practise inside

-can practise outside

-can sit in chair and discuss eye to eye.

-can sleep after long time traveling

-can get food and drink

Boad - HomeofPoi, Spherculism, Soton and others for international discussion.

Meetinks - Country-side and international.

InterPoi - Sharing cross countries, inter-community-paths, coutry spinn assistence on-line, help-line.

:R

POI THEO(R)IST

UCOFSILVER Member
15,417 posts

Posted:
[Old link]

duvanancient oachkatzlschwoaf
248 posts

Posted:
ok, let me be the party-pooper but I say there is a way to find out who is the best spinner in the world

just gather the most advanced and talented spinners
have an audience of about 2000 people
and then let them rate the different performances
and - wohoo - you WILL have a winner, mo matter how close the decision is biggrin

yoniGOLD Member
Carpal \'Tunnel
3,099 posts

Posted:
but thats only one definition of best, as rob sai different spinners have different styles, doing that would be like asking which is a better computer, a chair or a sofa (ok bad analogy). basically what i'm trying to say is you cant compare two differnt styles and then pick the best as alhogh they have similarities they are also very different.

Also thanks for making what should be an awesome thread.

as i haven't been spinning very long i hven't seen it change much however from what i have seen it seems very laid back in most cases, i am much more interested in having a good time, sharing what i know with others and relaxing than i am in being a "better" spinner than someone else

UCOF "evolution: Poi -> stick -> hoops -> devil stick -> juggling club -> juggling ball -> crayons."

Supergroovalsticprosifunkstication
In other words, it's the thumps bump

248 posts

Posted:
yoni but this is the only way to (quote) "judge objectively "

and to be objective in general you have to collet as many subjective impressions as possible!

edit:

recent example : the Oscar awards

a couple of people chose the winner for one category although the movies are completely different

the average of opinions of different people is what I call objectivity

thus these opinions determine that one specific movie is the best one concerning soundtrack

argh hard to explain tell me if anything is still obscure
EDITED_BY: duvan (1141591078)

yoniGOLD Member
Carpal \'Tunnel
3,099 posts

Posted:
but surely no matter how many seperate judges you have it wont matter if your trying to judge two different people doing different things on the same thing.

UCOF "evolution: Poi -> stick -> hoops -> devil stick -> juggling club -> juggling ball -> crayons."

248 posts

Posted:
of course you do. you do it everyday.
if you see someone playing jazz with his trumpet and someone playing classics, you might say "I prefer the jazzish music"
this does not mean that you denounce the other style but you have a favourite

so if the people had to decide whether Yoni or Duvan is the world's best spinner -> each individuum would chose his favourite style and I think that the average of these decisions is the objective point of view on the world's best spinner

yoniGOLD Member
Carpal \'Tunnel
3,099 posts

Posted:
but that would not be deciding the best, that would just be your personal preference. i may prefer the piece of jazz but for the very reason it is different you cannot decide that it is better than the classical piece. and this goes for the same with the spinning, one particular person may impress by being more impressive to the crowd, however another person may excell in a completely other area of spinnig, which is nowhere near as impressive but is still just as much a justified area of spinning, so it would become more a contest between which styles are prefered and not who is best

248 posts

Posted:
smile

If I prefer jazz -> then jazz is better in my opinion than classic
If I prefer Yoni's spinning style -> then I think he's better than
Duvan
If I find something better than the other thing I have a personal preference.

Tell me how to make a decision without personal preference.
Once people elect Tony Blair they do it because they think he is the best. Some people might be annoyed about this election but the majority of the Britons did their choice. ( = democracy )
Ermm... it's hard to tell you exactly what I mean frown wink

bluecatgeek, level 1
5,300 posts

Posted:
*insert small thread derailing complaint here*

Ange_GSCGOLD Member
HOP's glowstick ambassador!!
128 posts

Posted:
Poi shouldnt become something about who's "the best" that's not what matters to this community. Fire spinning is an art, and I believe this art is appreciated better without many of the bad vibes of rigorous competition, and who's better than who.

Written by:

My favorite thing of all, is that total beginners can play right next to 'the best' and everyone is making sense in their own circle. Lovin it.

Also my favorite thing, being able to spin right next to someone you may have idolized for years, and having it all make sense can be one of the best spinning experiences you'll ever have.
hug

missegyptology: "I just remember beingall off balance and unicycling really fast down to campus and the arabic was all blurred on the page"

^When Linz pulls an all nighter before Arabic class^

LazyAngelGOLD Member
Carpal \'Tunnel
2,895 posts

Posted:
Duvan: are you trying to say that the best spinner in the world is the one whose style is most appealing to the most people?

That would mean that the best move in the world, is the 3 beat weave, spun REALLY fast? wink

UCOFSILVER Member
15,417 posts

Posted:
ubblol
Nice one Guy biggrin

248 posts

Posted:
exactly angel, you got it smile

IMHO best in the world = the world's darling

get that equation ? hehe

I don't know if the best move is a 3beat weave muy rapido, depends on how you present tricks. If I show people knowing nothing about poi nice isolations they find it the most astonishing trick they've ever seen with poi ubblol

Of course I want to provoke poi spinners out there. They all say "competition does not matter" but in fact competition is very important for the progress of some peoples' poi skill. I don't care about competition anymore since I achieved my personal poi-goals wink
EDITED_BY: duvan (1141594266)

LazyAngelGOLD Member
Carpal \'Tunnel
2,895 posts

Posted:
Duvan: ahh yes but on different levels I think:

there is competition with your local spinners like, 'who can learn BTB waistwraps first?' but then I'm not looking to compete on with people on an international level, it's just a bit of fun between friends, and it pushes us to keep up with each other.

Sometimes one of my friends will pull out some totally amazing move that will make me stop and think 'cool, I'd really like to learn that' and vice versa.

It's never ever been, and ever will be, 'my style is better than yours'. I just know what I like, and that's ultimately what I aim to produce with my spinning, although I tend to pick up a lot of stuff that I consider less aesthetic and more interesting along the way. Until it suddenly makes sense in the wider context and slots into your spinning like a missing piece in a jigsaw. Then it becomes aesthetic

But aesthetics differ from person to person. Some people are obsessed by high beat weaves and moves, personally, I'm not so keen. So that is not part of my aesthetic poi goal. But there are people that use them to spin really nicely. So at the end of the day, aesthetics must be subjective rather than objective.

oliSILVER Member
not with cactus
2,052 posts

Posted:
you can have stuff like:

the best person at running 100 meters very quickly in the world
the best person at throwing a brick the furthest

etc...because in these cases there is very specific set of criteria that need to be filled.

whera as i dont think you could name the best runner in the world or the best person at throwing a brick....

because there are people who do long distnace running or 100 meter running and its not the same people who are good at both.. so saying that there is a best runner in the world is much too loose of a statement. likewise, some people night be able to juggle bricks, and some people would probably say they are better at throwing bricks than the person who once thre a brick a really long way.

so saying who is a best poi spinner in the world? is way to vauge to be able to have an actual answer.

and my rambling misguided thoughts on the points at the ends of robs post follow...

When I started spinning… I didn’t know anything about any poi community… I joined hop and I still think it took a while to sink in that there was a spinning community, because it was not automatic for me to assume hop was connected to any kind of community at all. Eventually you start to get involved in the community and find out that there is actually a community.. and then you find out that goes far beyond hop, and that it is in actual fact and massive kind of super community made up of other communities. So I don’t really know what spinning was like when I started spinning, as I wasn’t really involved in spinning then.
Since I have become involved in spinning I think spinning has become much more diverse, it is much more common to see people who have devoted them selves to certain ways of spinning now and are really exploring things.. But again I simply do not know if that is just because I know and see more spinners now a days…
Poi is like any other art, if an artist dose something some other artists likes, it is going to give them ideas about what they could be doing themselves that is natural. And I think it is good to have a lot of people to inspire you, that way you have a much bigger set of ideas going in and out. Any art would be boring if everyone just copied the work of some one else, but if you can mix a few peoples ideas that haven’t been mixed before it is much more interesting. So a lot of inspiration is good for the community as it keeps us all happy, and still spinning.
The spinning community is amazing.. I feel very special to be a part of it, I don’t really need to say any more…
I think a successful community needs a good mix of people, you need organisers, jokers, introverts, extroverts, talkers, watchers, etc… allsorts, there needs to be an understanding that all these different people are what make the community tick, and that they are all important. And why different communities develop different styles, thats evolution I reckon, kinda like monkeys stuck on islands for millions of years.

Me train running low on soul coal
They push+pull tactics are driving me loco
They shouldn't do that no no no

FireTomStargazer
6,650 posts

Posted:
.... so let's bring Poi-spinning to the Olympics to find out... wink biggrin

But generally I agree with Rob... rolleyes

the best smiles are the ones you lead to wink

mcpPLATINUM Member
Flying Water Muppet
5,276 posts

Posted:
How's the best is always a pointless question when it comes to spinning, it's like asking who's the best writer, or the best painter?

And if you really think that the best = the most popular, then surely the best restaurant in the world is macdonalds and the best singer is justin timberlake.... What sense does that make? You can barely even call what macdonalds used to sell as food.

And hey look! I was mentioned by Mr Blue! Though if antti is now 'better' than me at contact, I'm going to have to kick his ass!

I've got flu... frown

Quoted:

Written by: bluecat

i want to know how people feel spinning is developing and has changed since you started. i want to know what you respect about people that inspire you, and how you feel that inspiration is good for the community at large. i want to know what you don't like about the new spinning community, and how it has been belittled by its incredible growth.

i also recently rebumped an awesome thread of NYCs about 'the london factor' (sorry, no link, cold fingers) i'd like to hear also what you think makes a successful spinning community and why some places deliver one style as opposed to another... er. that'll do for starters. i need a cup of tea.

One style as apposed to another, I think it's always due to the other spinners in the area. I learnt a bit of blue's doubles contact and a bit of mo-seph's technical spinny doubles and in learning those things off them, I both encoraged thme to learn more of those respective 'styles' probably gave them new ideas in my random chat and flailing around, and then came back to them once I had learnt it, with variations. Hence a fledgling style becomes more solidified with more people learning and developing it. In order words, I think like a pearl it starts with one person and anybody that comes into contact aids the growth of that style in some way.

Now to the first question: What I like and simulataneouly dislike is people learning really difficult contact moves much quicker than when I learnt them. This happens on almost a regular basis I feel. And I suppose I've only got myself to blame. wink It's all worthwhile when you meet them in person thou.

Having just got a proper job now, my perspective has changed slightly, I think I might spin for technical perfection rather than performance. Or something like that...

"the now legendary" - Kaskade
"the still legendary" - Kaskade

I spunked in my friend's aquarium and the fish ate it. I love all fish. Especially the pink ones. They are my bitches. - Anon.

Tom_ShillSILVER Member
enthusiast
213 posts

Posted:
Written by: duvan

Tell me how to make a decision without personal preference.

Quite probably can't be done, unless you make a decision at random. But the point you're missing is that situations in which someone/something exceeds others don't require you to make a decision. If one building is 100m tall and another is 50m you are not required to decide that the first building is taller, it just is. Moreover, your personal preference could lead you to decide that the second building is taller, but you'd be wrong. This is because height is an absolute. You can measure it and prove that one exceeds the other. As Oli says, in a distance brick-throwing competition the person who throws the furthest would win. So he's the best at throwing bricks a long way . But what if the loser can juggle nine bricks? You might say that he's better at throwing bricks, but you wouldn't necessarily be right, not in the way that you were when you said the first person was better at throwing them a long way.

So the point is that spinning, like throwing bricks, is not judged on one thing alone, or a set group of things. There are infinate different qualities that different people bring to their spinning based on their personalities and other skils etc. So even if you got everyone in the world to vote you'd still only have opinion. You could say that so-and-so is the world's favourite spinner, but never the world's best.

As to Rob's questions, I haven't been spinning that long so I haven't seen any changes, but I know what's made me enjoy my spinning and keep at it. I think there's an openness that you don't get in other areas of life. There's none of that 'I won't teach you that because I don't want you to be as good as me' business. Everyone's just glad that other people are into it. I was made to think about this the other week by something that I think sums up what I like about spinning and the people who have inspired me. I happened upon a trick that I found I could get fairly easily and was playing with it at our club, and it turned out that one of the guys who's been helping me had been trying to get it for ages and he couldn't. So he asked me to explain it and he had it more or less nailed straight away. In certain sports groups and stuff that would never have happened, one of the top players asking a newbie to explain something. In spinning there's a much more relaxed, sharing vibe, so everyone gets better together, and everyone respects everyone else.
*waits to get jumped on for using the word 'better' wink*

Will those capable of telekinesis please raise my hand?

Chronofracture333Hobo Gaylord
329 posts

Posted:
Surely there is no problem with saying "they are the best spinner in that group of people". The problem is when you expect others to agree, and getting miffed when they don't.

From a more "objective" point of view, given the infinite sets of criteria available for judging the level of someones ability everyone is the "best".

*no moves there are no moves there are no moves there are no moves there are no moves there are no*

"Oooh, what a shiny new move!"

alphalightGOLD Member
103 posts

Posted:
poi show us that duality and rattionally thinking will not bring us further in our consciousness

**we should really stop thinking who is the best or worst what is good or bad**

we should open our mind and accept the infinity in our circles
every spinner got something what another do not have we are all unique all special and just together we can bring this "art" to another dimension and our self to a new consciousness

i am really thanksfull to all the circles who crossed my circles the last 5 years
especially those who open my mind free me from the moves and let the feeling come in to find freedom

the überevent was one of those moments

the poi wave is getting bigger and bigger and that make my poiheart really happy

peace light and poilove

ap ; )

peace and light

248 posts

Posted:
Written by: LazyAngel

It's never ever been, and ever will be, 'my style is better than yours'.

I didn't want to say something like that explicitly. But every human being judges automatically and so you'll know once you are better than someone else. This might sound arrogant, probably it is but I don't care. I consider it to be more important to concede your negative emotions like envy or as I just said arrogance wink.

Written by: mcp

And if you really think that the best = the most popular, then surely the best restaurant in the world is macdonalds and the best singer is justin timberlake.... What sense does that make? You can barely even call what macdonalds used to sell as food.

I agree in some way but also disagree.

You don't think that Mägges is the best restaurant in the world.
But go ahead and ask some fastfood junkies what restaurant they consider to be the best in the world.
I never claimed that to find someone being the best makes any sense. I just tried to tell you that you can find out who is the best in the opinion of the audience ( of course these thoughts are based on a democratic choice biggrin )

Now there is one question I would love to ask Robbo smile
Do you have any regrets? Your thread is like "I had a bad motivation and finally found a purer one". When I started spinning a few years ago I watched all of your videos. I remember you writing when I asked you how to improve my style "Practise like [censored]. If you get tired practise more. If it starts to hurt practise even more. Practise, practise, practise."
With these 3 sentences you really motivated me enough to push myself higher and higher. You were so to say my only teacher.

So my motivation was to become just as good as you or even better. And I do not have regrets.

When I met you the first time at the BJC 2004 in Derby I recognized that you were not that brilliant as you were in your videos. You did not play that clean and smooth. So please don't be mad with me for being honest redface but this was a very important insight for me. I started to find out that the way you played in "real life" was not the way I wanted to play my poi. So I started to develope my own things, my own style and so on. You see I almost had the same motivation as you had. So one might think "this poor lil' stubborn boy never felt the real joy of poi" but hell I did. The "new" motivation for spinning is simply to move my body, listen to some music and being glad. But it is not that much better than the old one. It is not more prudent or even fulfilling. Sometimes I miss this personal challenge, this thrilling feeling of competition

No one of you saw me really spinning since there isn't anybody living in the Bavarian forest who also takes part in these spinnish things. This is what made me some kind of bystander concerning the international spinning community. And this gave me enough distance from all of you to be some kind of opposition to the typical "we-love-all" mentality wink

And thus I close my emotional, heartbreaking and honest comment wink ubbrollsmile

have a nice day

colemanSILVER Member
big and good and broken
7,330 posts

Posted:
duvan - your way of determining the best is highly flawed:

it doesn't determine 'the best spinner' at all - it simply determines 'the best of the performances on the night according to the lay audience (or peers if you go the oscar route) that saw it'.

the spinner that that particular audience likes best is not definitively the best since, for example, i may well be able to do everything they did in their performance (possibly to a higher level) yet chose to not include it in my performance shrug

we don't deny that some people are 'better' in some areas than others but the point is that these areas are so large and there are so many of them that trying to determine an overall best spinner is an impossibility.

and so, back onto the main topic...

i agree that poi is huge now.

i had a similar desire to rob's when i was early on in my poi-learning history: to learn everything that could be done with poi.
that is indeed an impossibility now and that actually makes me happy (mainly cos i gave up horizontal stuff a while ago cos i didn't like it and now, it doesn't seem like such a big gap in my spinning skills!) biggrin

i also agree that it is in no little part down to this that has caused the tide of opinion to turn within the uk juggling community and as such, poi is no longer treated like the ostracised cousin of the object manipulation world.

in fact, i have actually heard a (slightly green-eyed) juggler make the comparison of the uk spinning scene as it stands today to the uk juggling scene ten years ago.

spinning led me to juggling and so, the two are intrinsically linked for me - i do not consider the juggling and poi communities separate and never have.

its just nice that everyone agrees now wink

having said that (and this may be because i don't spend as much time spinning as i used to, or possibly even because i am older now and don't see things the way i used to) i find that the london scene is not as vibrant or as full of ambitious, enthusiastic (techy) poi spinners as it was a couple of years ago.

so i personally don't find that much inspiration around me nowdays (there are only about five people in london that i look to for poi inspiration) and i rely much more heavily on spinners that i see very rarely, only on video or not at all (which is weird).

i'm not finished talking crap, but i have to go do some work now.

probably for the best wink

cole. x

"i see you at 'dis cafe.
i come to 'dis cafe quite a lot myself.
they do porridge."
- tim westwood

Chronofracture333Hobo Gaylord
329 posts

Posted:
New spinners should be banned from using the internet, and sent away to develop their own style. Only when you've built a solid fondation, and have confidence in your own ability, is it safe to expose yourself to the overwhelming amount of information available. Please no more poi/staff robots able to pull off a dodgy airwrap/matrix but unable to turn on the spot without falling over...

*no moves there are no moves there are no moves there are no moves there are no moves there are no*

"Oooh, what a shiny new move!"

Sporkyaddict
663 posts

Posted:
My 2 cents:

It's impossible to define the 'best spinner' as even noobs can come up with little interesting things that make some of the more old skool members smile.

Now, what is poi about? Surely its having fun, going with the flow of the poi/staff/whatever and improving yourself both mentally and as a spinner? Therefore having a 'best in the world' is pointless and somewhat defeats the whole idea of what poi spinning is all about (imho). But then thats just me...

Have faith in what you can do and respect for what you can't

ado-pGOLD Member
Pirate Ninja
3,882 posts

Posted:
yipeeee

I wish i could just copy and paste my feelings onto the board instead of typing out something that i know is never going really get it right.

When i started spinning i really though i was the only person in ireland with a firetoy for at least six months. And i've watched it and been privilaged to be a part of it growing ever since. From a few folk in the corner of a convention or doin a bit of busking. To a huge bunch of migrating spinny folk all over the country, to profesional fire troupes, to an EJC with a firespinner as one of the organisers biggrin

Spinning in ireland has grown so fast in the the last two years that it makes me want to jump for joy. At the last convention in belfast, fully half of the hall were spinning poi. I'd never seen anything like it. It was incredible. Not only that. People came form germany and france and spain too. Just that in itself says alot.

It used to be dumbstruck awe in the beginning for me. Tinged with not just a little bit of fear. Especially you bluecat. You and meg are the reason i started learning contact staff. But meg shows off her belly so shes not as scary. wink hug then flights got really really cheap and suddenly there were spinners flying all over the place. And we started getting on planes. And once i started meeting the people in the videos and on the boards and even ones that arent on HOP (can you imagine that?), I started find waaaaayyyy more reasons to be inspired than just watching really great spinners spin. Every year it seems to get more international and more people are visiting and travelling and teaching and its amazing. It really is. Its a comminuty and its the whole world.

I just couldnt believe how far people had traveled to do to uber staff and uber poi for example. Hell, I got on a plane to go to a workshop for what i tell people is a hobby. What does that say? smile

What do i love about the spinning community? The sense of 'massive extended family' i get from it is right up ther at the top of the list. Im not sure what i dont like about it. The fact that there are not enough people in my town spinning would be a big one, but im working on that smile What meg said about people learning to fast. But that probably says more about teaching skills.... smile And i really get frusrated when people just dont get things that i take completly for granted. Like planes. Muscle memory and a firgure of eight. In short. I wish i was a better teacher.

What do i really not like? I dont like that the insurance companies are holding us back in ireland... I dont like that there are still people that will still tell me to 'get a real job' and call me a hippy like its an insult. But i do like the challenge of changing all that so its not really that bad.

Inspirationally i wouldnt even know where to start. There is no way for me to classify even who inspires me the most, never mind about who is 'the' best.

Meeniks smile when he spins reminds me why i do it in the first place. smile Arashi does coz he can belly dance and is still a badass. Tepooka, Flame Oz. Not only did they inspire me to be much more hard working. They also gave me pause to really question what i want out of spinning. Coz i always wanted to be the best too you see wink MCP for being soooooo unslack and amazingly toughtfull. RHD for eek Ronopotamus for never spinning in circles and telling me 'Why bother trying to learn everything. Your playing with infinity.' The list goes on. What strikes me most is that the best spinners i've ever seen and met (and im really lucky to have met most of the best i've seen) we're friendly, accesible and generous and lovely and most of all... human. And this in itself is a huge inspiration because it makes it attainable. Its a type of greatness that we can all share. Why are they all so nice? now thats a good question....

Love is the law.

Page: ...