Forums > Social Discussion > Morals and ethics-thread... (on public demand)

Login/Join to Participate
Page:
FireTomStargazer
6,650 posts

Posted:
You asked for it - Now you have it!

(did a search and nothing like that came up - if there is a pre-existing thread, please accept my apologies and close this one)

So here it goes:

Wikipedia on Morality

Written by: wikipedia

Morality, in the strictest sense of the word, deals with that which is regarded as right or wrong. The term is often used to refer to a system of principles and judgments shared by cultural, religious, secular (eg. Humanist) and philosophical communities who share concepts and beliefs, by which people subjectively determine whether given actions are right or wrong.

These concepts and beliefs about right and wrong are often generalized and codified by a culture or group, and thus serve to regulate the behavior of its members. Conformity to such codification may also be called morality, and the group may depend on widespread conformity to such codes for its continued existence. Individuals who choose to conform in this way are popularly held to posess "Moral Fibre", whereas those who lack "Moral Fibre" may be labelled as socially degenerate. A "moral" may refer to a particular principle, usually as an informal and general summary with respect to a moral principle, as it is applied in a given human situation.

Same source Ethics

Written by: wikipedia

The first social science
Assumptions about ethical underpinnings of human behavior are reflected in every social science, including: anthropology because of the complexities involved in relating one culture to another, economics because of its role in the distribution of scarce resources, political science because of its role in allocating power, sociology because of its roots in the dynamics of groups, law because of its role in codifying ethical constructs like mercy and punishment, criminology because of its role in rewarding ethical behavior and discouraging unethical behavior, and psychology because of its role in defining, understanding, and treating unethical behavior.

Members of HoP:

Written by: Patriarch

First, let us ask some questions to get us started:

Question 1: What is the ultimate source of moral rights?

(suggested answers deleted for freedom of mind)

Question 2: Do moral rights change?

(suggested answers deleted for freedom of mind)

and:

Written by: jeff(fake)

(..)In an general sense morality is relative. However, for arbitary reasons human beings world wide share an almost identicle fundemental system of emotions and values. A Chinaman and an African can both agree that murder and rape are generally wrong for instance. We base our moral system on these values. Thus morality is in a specific sence absolute accross the human race.(..)

(..)Humans (thats us) have a set of needs and emotions which are hardwired into our brains. With the exception of sociopaths and some of the brain damaged, this is undeniable. We all retract our hand from fire and we find suffering unpleasant.(..)

So here are the questions:

What is the source of morals?
Do morals change?
Is morality something fundamental, that is hardwired into our brains?

yeah - "can of worms" rolleyes not the first one wink

the best smiles are the ones you lead to wink

jeff(fake)Scientist of Fortune
1,189 posts

Posted:
We are born with them. The problem is that some people learn to turn them off or to use them selectively.

According to Heisenberg's Uncertainty Principle of Quantum Dynamics, we may already be making love right now...

spiralxveteran
1,376 posts

Posted:
Written by: Stone

Perhaps spiralx, you should read a bit more history before jumping to conclusions. Human sacrifice was pretty popular with the Aztecs around Hernan Cortes time.

And in many other places and times, obviously. However sacrifice and murder are not the same thing, so I don't think you've got a point. People sacrificed people to placate or appease their god(s) in the hope of benfitting themselves or the community. From their point of view, it was a moral act.

And in the specific case of the most prolific sacrificial culture in history, the Aztecs, sacrifices took on a survival aspect anyway; the sacrifices provided a ready supply of meat for people to eat in a culture where meat was otherwise scarce and crop failures common.

And unfortunately, incest is still present in our societies at an alarmingly high rate.

So are a lot of things people know are wrong... morals are inbuilt urges, they don't control us.

For sure, killing members of your tribe would be considered wrong, but not members of other tribes or strangers. There are other difference also like time.

As I said before, morality (having evolved to survive within your tribe) is most easily applied only to your tribe. It's only relatively recently we've begun to apply it to other people.

Why are people having difficult believing morals are acquired and not hardwired?

"Moo," said the happy cow.

StoneGOLD Member
Stream Entrant
2,829 posts

Posted:
Come on Jeff, take a look at the world. What’s are the defaults? Compassion and empathy or aggression and hate?

spiralx I agree, this is what I was trying to say
Written by:

As I said before, morality (having evolved to survive within your tribe) is most easily applied only to your tribe. It's only relatively recently we've begun to apply it to other people.

I especially like the bit where you say "morality (having evolved to survive within your tribe." This to me, indicates that morals are a learnt response and not genetic. l will get back to the NYTs article when I register.

cheers smile

If we as members of the human race practice meditation, we can transcend our fear, despair, and forgetfulness. Meditation is not an escape. It is the courage to look at reality with mindfulness and concentration. Thich Nhat Hanh

1,189 posts

Posted:
Aggression and hate for immediate survival, compassion and empathy for social living.

There is an entire section of the brain dedicated to producing empathy. Most autistics have a reduced version, which is one of the reasons why they have so much trouble interacting. The ability to empathise is hardwired firmly into our brain. It may not be possible to simply learn something like that.

According to Heisenberg's Uncertainty Principle of Quantum Dynamics, we may already be making love right now...

StoneGOLD Member
Stream Entrant
2,829 posts

Posted:
Aggression and hate for "immediate survival", compassion and empathy for social living.

Exactly.

kiss

If we as members of the human race practice meditation, we can transcend our fear, despair, and forgetfulness. Meditation is not an escape. It is the courage to look at reality with mindfulness and concentration. Thich Nhat Hanh

spiralxveteran
1,376 posts

Posted:

spiralx I agree, this is what I was trying to say

Written by:

I especially like the bit where you say "morality (having evolved to survive within your tribe." This to me, indicates that morals are a learnt response and not genetic. l will get back to the NYTs article when I register.

Unless you are claiming that the instant humanity became a distinct species we stopped evolving, then it's fairly obvious that we would evolve traits that would help us prosper in groups - we've been living in them since before we were homo sapiens.
EDITED_BY: spiralx (1142332990)

StoneGOLD Member
Stream Entrant
2,829 posts

Posted:
confused

SethisBRONZE Member
Pooh-Bah
1,762 posts

Posted:
The cow was happy, so it said "Moo". There isn't much to be confused about...

Unless you were wondering about something else wink biggrin

After much consideration, I find that the view is worth the asphyxiation.
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
I may disagree with what you have to say, but I will defend to the death your right to say it.

spiralxveteran
1,376 posts

Posted:
Edited for clarity wink

Another good article on evolution and history here...

Clicky clicky

smile

StoneGOLD Member
Stream Entrant
2,829 posts

Posted:
spiralx, the main theme of the article seems to be “The genome can respond to cultural practices as well as to any other kind of change.”

I’m not familiar with this idea, so my question is - is “morality” an inheritable trait? Like, can we breed for morality as distinct from say breeding for cognitive ability?

smile

1,189 posts

Posted:

I’m not familiar with this idea, so my question is - is “morality” an inheritable trait? Like, can we breed for morality as distinct from say breeding for cognitive ability?

Hmm... aspects of morality have a genetic component, which when logically followed will lead to morality. For example empathy will have a large genetic component as it is generated in the brain.

As for morality being selectable...I'm really not sure. It may well be possible to creat a race of highly moral people but very little research has been done into the genetics of things like that.

Excellent question.

spiralxveteran
1,376 posts

Posted:
In theory the answer is yes; in practise, as with intelligence, there are far too many factors to breed true for such a subtle trait smile It's easy to breed for some gross characteristic controlled by a small number of genes, intelligence and morality aren't that simplistic.

But of course the genome can respond to cultural practises - cultural practises can change far more rapidly than the genome and often (usually?) determine who breeds the most! If society decided that only blondes were good mothers tomorrow, then blondes would breed far more than non-blondes and therefore the next generation would contain vastly more people with blonde genes than before. Hence culture influences the genome.

Of course culture changes far more quickly than the genome, especially when it comes to complex traits. But the two influence each other in a push and pull; we're given inherent traits by our genes, but because we're conscious (whatever that means) we can override those traits by conscious decision.

spiralxveteran
1,376 posts

Posted:
 Written by: jeff(fake)

As for morality being selectable...I'm really not sure. It may well be possible to creat a race of highly moral people but very little research has been done into the genetics of things like that.

Excellent question.

I think the problem is that we are highly moral as a rule; but we apply that morality only to a very small subset of people. Without the ability for people to form close bonds with larger groups of people I don't see it happening genetically, and I don't see how that's possible in terms of the genome or the real world.

Maybe if we were telepathic wink

Mr MajestikSILVER Member
coming to a country near you
4,696 posts

Posted:
i agree spiralx, in the sense that we apply different morals to different aspects of life, depending on how we judge that person or thing.

for example, in the past week i've completed a responsable service of alcohol course and a responsable conduct of gambling course. previously i've thought both smoking and gambling to be idiots games, however after doing the RSA i've come to realise that alcohol is in no way better. it causes the most social problems of any drug but we let it happen with poor excuses such as the industry provides jobs and taxes.
ideally (morally) i think it would be best for society to have none of these burdens, but i accept that my view alone will not change the views of the western world, and as a result am willing to throw my morals aside because society requires me to make money and spend it on [censored] i dont even need. humanity truely is an idiots game and morals just make the idiots think they're doing the 'right thing', whatever that is

"but have you considered there is more to life than your eyelids?"

jointly owned by Fire_Spinning_Angel and Blu_Valley

SethisBRONZE Member
Pooh-Bah
1,762 posts

Posted:
 Written by: Mr Majestik

humanity truely is an idiots game and morals just make the idiots think they're doing the 'right thing', whatever that is

But it's the only game we ever play, and we only play it once. So suck it up, learn the rules and stick to the code. wink

After much consideration, I find that the view is worth the asphyxiation.
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
I may disagree with what you have to say, but I will defend to the death your right to say it.

FireTomStargazer
6,650 posts

Posted:
 Written by: spiralx

However sacrifice and murder are not the same thing, so I don't think you've got a point. People sacrificed people to placate or appease their god(s) in the hope of benfitting themselves or the community. From their point of view, it was a moral act.

Sorry Spiral, as much as I would like to say you're right. There are indications that sacrifices have not ben forced but were committed as of free will - sometimes even as a honour. This is present in parts of our (global) society even today. Incest has been widely and is still accepted in some cultures. It was even practice with the Pharaos back then and Royalties in the modern age.

Written by: spiralX

umm 4. - 10.000 years is "relative"?

Written by:

Why are people having difficult believing morals are acquired and not hardwired?

I kind of would love to agree with Jeff, saying that it's hardwired, but people can turn it off, or education turns it off...

But maybe (and much likely) empathy is a virtue and not a common one to the entire human race? We find various structures in the human psyche and we do not necessarily all share the same abilities...

Gotta run...

spiralxveteran
1,376 posts

Posted:
 Written by: FireTom

Written by: spiralx

However sacrifice and murder are not the same thing, so I don't think you've got a point. People sacrificed people to placate or appease their god(s) in the hope of benfitting themselves or the community. From their point of view, it was a moral act.

Sorry Spiral, as much as I would like to say you're right. There are indications that sacrifices have not ben forced but were committed as of free will - sometimes even as a honour. This is present in parts of our (global) society even today. Incest has been widely and is still accepted in some cultures. It was even practice with the Pharaos back then and Royalties in the modern age.

I don't think you're contradicting my point there; sacrifice was seen as being for the good of the tribe, hence moral... leading in some cases for people to volunteer to be sacrificed.

And the prevalence of incest amongst the ruling elites of various cultures isn't really saying much about humanity as a rule is it? wink

umm 4. - 10.000 years is "relative"?

Since the start of agriculture and thus civilisation some 8,000 years ago when people started living in groups larger than the tribal groups we'd been living in for the rest of our existance as a species.

I kind of would love to agree with Jeff, saying that it's hardwired, but people can turn it off, or education turns it off...

But maybe (and much likely) empathy is a virtue and not a common one to the entire human race? We find various structures in the human psyche and we do not necessarily all share the same abilities...

Gotta run...

So why then can a simple drug like MDMA produce feelings of empathy simply by modulating a single neurotransmitter in the brain? smile

FireTomStargazer
6,650 posts

Posted:
 Written by: Sethis

Breaking the law by a parking offence is not immoral, it's just illegal.

Are not some people considering ANY action against the law as immoral?

There are differences. When things get hectic and wild, then that's when I rely on myself. I'm almost always confident of my own ethical values, so the need to trust someone else's judgement doesn't really arise.

Sure there are differences, but wouldn't this mean that in the end our very own morals stand higher than those of our surrounding? I mean, does not anybody try to create her/his own world (preferrably) in dialogue with our environment?

And then again... what about people dumping their old tyres out there in the woods? What about the dad, who goes into the forest to cut a christmastree himself? Just to make examples...

It's great to have a healthy relationship with morals, a gift obviously not all share...

If you're talking about relying on the politicians morals then I would say that I've never seen a war that was wanted by the normal people. It's always the leaders who decide they want a war in the first place, so I'd say relying on their morality was a bit silly.

Hitler asked the people of Germany on the Reichstag in Nuremberg: " Do you want the total war?" And the answer was an uproar of tens of thousands of people, screaming: "Yes!" (one they regretted shortly after)

And no, I don't trust in the morality of a supreme being. If he can't take care of me when I'm alive, I have no reason to assume he can take care of me when I'm dead. Your life is what you make it, and so is your death. Deities don't come into it.

So you're so self assure that you can decide for yourself what is right and wrong? This is a great responsibility. One that some others are not ready or willing to bear - therefore trust in a government.

Elections have little or nothing to do with ethics. It's not who you think is the nicer guy, but the person who's plans you like the look of most. The majority of these plans aren't judged on their ethicality, rather, by their usefulness to society.

But on what grounds do we then put our "X" behind some name, or party if not because we agree with the programme/ promises/ concept?

(...)how can you continue living in a country that (...) now is corrupted, almost opposite?

I don't. I live in the UK. smile And "How can you continue to live there" is not a valid criticism of people who claim the elections were fixed. Many people think that and are protesting about it. It is more effective to protest if you happen to live in the country you're protesting about.

Well the thingi is that in Afghanistan and Iraq most people would have gotten killed when protesting against their government. They didn't and don't agree with what happened in a single point - yet they too have to face the consequences of war.

Speak for yourself. Just because my Prime Minister supported him, does not mean that I do. I think you'd be hard pressed to find someone who thought that Saddam Hussein was a moral person before either of the Gulf Wars.

I surely would (after searching in the right circles) be able to come up with someone - scary, but I am certain... shrug

umm If I do something wrong then I know it's wrong. Therefore because I know it's wrong then I condemn my own actions. I don't try to "get away with it" because you can't escape your own ethicality. It's not something you drop whenever you do something wrong and then get back. Every single misdeed you ever committed creates another hole in the tapestry of your consciousness, and that's why I spend so much time doing what is right by me.

Well many bad deeds have been committed in best faith and vice versa... shrug

Written by: Spiral

And the prevalence of incest amongst the ruling elites of various cultures isn't really saying much about humanity as a rule is it?

Then what is? Personally I believe that all lies in the consciousness and if something is possible on small scale, it usually also works (sometimes) on great scale...

So why then can a simple drug like MDMA produce feelings of empathy simply by modulating a single neurotransmitter in the brain?

Is this a pipe dream? umm ... as I said: The human psyche... sometimes it's really marvellous and we do not all react the same way to certain triggers... wink

Really I wished it was like that, but find it ain't... Sad, but that's the impression I gained... Call me desillusionised if you want... shrug wink

spiralxveteran
1,376 posts

Posted:

And the prevalence of incest amongst the ruling elites of various cultures isn't really saying much about humanity as a rule is it?

Then what is? Personally I believe that all lies in the consciousness and if something is possible on small scale, it usually also works (sometimes) on great scale...

My point was more that the ruling elites make up a vanishingly small percentage of the human population as well as being in a different social situation than most people. Genetics doesn't rule people, it just provides "urges" that people can always choose to override. Just because some people have committed incest doesn't mean that there's no genetic predisposition towards it - the fact that amongst the majority of people and cultures incest is a taboo is much more relevent.

Is this a pipe dream? umm ... as I said: The human psyche... sometimes it's really marvellous and we do not all react the same way to certain triggers... wink

Really I wished it was like that, but find it ain't... Sad, but that's the impression I gained... Call me desillusionised if you want... shrug wink

Again, not everybody works in exactly the same way! One exception does not make a trend wink

StoneGOLD Member
Stream Entrant
2,829 posts

Posted:
spiralx, do you realizes this “morality (having evolved to survive within your tribe)” is the only barrier to world peace.

spiralxveteran
1,376 posts

Posted:
Apart from the competition for resources and status that is based on the urge to procreate of course. Which is far more primal...

StoneGOLD Member
Stream Entrant
2,829 posts

Posted:
Time-Out spiralx: It’s true Shugin originally called it Empathy, but PLUR died and I call it ephemeral. The increase in the use of SSRI’s is would have been a better example, though our survival instinct always win.

spiralxveteran
1,376 posts

Posted:
PLUR died? Maybe we just hang around at different places wink

StoneGOLD Member
Stream Entrant
2,829 posts

Posted:
It’s all in the mind spiralx wink

spiralxveteran
1,376 posts

Posted:
ubblol Damn, I'm usually the cynical one wink

StoneGOLD Member
Stream Entrant
2,829 posts

Posted:
hehe cheers smile

FireTomStargazer
6,650 posts

Posted:
umm confused ubblol is this chat? wink tongue

Would you share info about/ explain who is/ are

Shugin
PLUR
SSRI’s?

... or is this just insiders? wink

StoneGOLD Member
Stream Entrant
2,829 posts

Posted:
Not chat Tom, just a time out. Some definitions from Wikipedia - which seems to be working really well today wink

Alexander Shulgin is a chemist. SSRIs is short for Selective Serotonin Reuptake Inhibitors; a class of antidepressants including Prozac. PLUR is an ancient raver mantra meaning Peace Love Respect and Unity.

cheers

Mr MajestikSILVER Member
coming to a country near you
4,696 posts

Posted:
i think you mean Peace Love UNITY Respect, otherwise it spells PLRU wink

"but have you considered there is more to life than your eyelids?"

jointly owned by Fire_Spinning_Angel and Blu_Valley

StoneGOLD Member
Stream Entrant
2,829 posts

Posted:
ubblol yes, that's the one - PLUR smile

Page: