Forums > Social Chat > Anyone got a Canal Boat?

Login/Join to Participate
Page:
ThumperabbitBRONZE Member
Zebberdy and Jack Daniels
278 posts

Posted:
Has anyone or is currently living in a house boat? I've been thinking about this for about 20 minutes, but i'm so excited, I want to live on a house boat. Idealy something in wales. But wow, I just keep thinking what it's like. How amazing.

The only reason i'm scared of little kid's is because I know in ten year's time they'll be mugging me.....

Pink...?BRONZE Member
Mistress of Pink...Multicoloured
6,140 posts

Posted:
Simian & UCOF live on a boat

As does Firetramp. Ask them about it. bounce

Never pick up a duck in a dungeon...

UCOFSILVER Member
15,417 posts

Posted:
Yes, ask us!
Ask us! biggrin

278 posts

Posted:
Duude, I've been searching for ages of house boats in wales, but i can find absolutely none. little help?

The only reason i'm scared of little kid's is because I know in ten year's time they'll be mugging me.....

DuncGOLD Member
playing the days away
7,263 posts

Posted:
If you want south wales you could always compromise and go for Bristol. They're right in the town centre, really nice place, lots of lovely spinners to boot smile

We'll be there on our boat this weekend, they are soooo the best things to live on. Not that I have but my girlfriend did for years and we plan to move to a bigger boat sometime in the future. It'll have to be one big enough for four tho....

Let's relight this forum ubblove

SymBRONZE Member
Geek-enviro-hippy priest
1,858 posts

Posted:
4? really? I can come too? yay!

ubblol

There's too many home fires burning and not enough trees

BethMiss Whippy
1,262 posts

Posted:
4?? something you're not telling us Dunc? Or is it just that you're tall enough for 2 people? wink

hug

Aim high and you'll know your limits, aim low and you'll never know how high you could have climbed.

ducky2108A little bit of a board whore
147 posts

Posted:
Ok.

Now, do you mean a canal boat, or a house boat. The two are quite different.

Ancient wiseman say "It is very strange person, who, when left alone in room with teacosy, does not try it on"

278 posts

Posted:
Sorry I personaly don't know the difference. whichever one I can live in for a long period of time. I wouldn't actualy mind moving to Bristol, as my girlfriend plans to do her police training in England it would work, she doesn't like the idea of living on a boat though. This is something I want though.

147 posts

Posted:
Well, when I think of canal boat, I think of the narrow boat type things, which people go on holidays on.

Houseboats are more permanent structures which can't actually sail, but are more towed between moorings. The majority of these are in London that I know of, and aren't at all "seaworthy" for anything other than being towed.

Ancient wiseman say "It is very strange person, who, when left alone in room with teacosy, does not try it on"

278 posts

Posted:
A houseboat is what I am after then.

UCOFSILVER Member
15,417 posts

Posted:
Ah...
im on a canal boat.

Once again, I can offer no help other than offering emotional blackmail.

umm

animatEdBRONZE Member
1 + 1 = 3
3,540 posts

Posted:
Does your canal boat have moving capabilities, Jon?

Empty your mind. Be formless, Shapeless, like Water.
Put Water into a cup, it becomes the cup, put water into a bottle, it becomes the bottle, put water into a teapot, it becomes the teapot.
Water can flow, or it can Crash.
Be Water My Friend.

UCOFSILVER Member
15,417 posts

Posted:
Yes. smile

animatEdBRONZE Member
1 + 1 = 3
3,540 posts

Posted:
Wow. You and your boat dwelling neighbours could have lots of fun confusing the postman, by keep switching moorings every day...

That would keep me amused for weeks!

But then, I'm easily pleased... biggrin

Empty your mind. Be formless, Shapeless, like Water.
Put Water into a cup, it becomes the cup, put water into a bottle, it becomes the bottle, put water into a teapot, it becomes the teapot.
Water can flow, or it can Crash.
Be Water My Friend.

UCOFSILVER Member
15,417 posts

Posted:
It wouldnt confuse them at all.
You will see why next weekend and see whats so funny about what you have written ubblol

Mr ChutneySILVER Member
Tosser
1,712 posts

Posted:
Do you ever drive your boat Jon? wink

UCOFSILVER Member
15,417 posts

Posted:
Not yet without adult supervision.

But we will be this weekend as we need to refill the diesel tank tongue

Nice try though wink

278 posts

Posted:
Sorry if this seem's like a silly question, but i'm still very new to house boats, when you buy a house boat that is on a mooring, how long can you stay on the mooring? Or is it your's aslong as you own the boat?

UCOFSILVER Member
15,417 posts

Posted:
Think of it like renting a house.

You can stay at the house as long as your contract lasts.
You can leave the house.
But with a boat, you can take your house to the shops biggrin

278 posts

Posted:
Lol, fair enough. I'm thinking about this more and more. Got to discuss all this with my girlfriend first. So basicly, if I wanted to move locations of my boat, i simply got to find another mooring in a different location. But I can keep the boat.

SkulduggeryGOLD Member
Pirate Pixie Crew Captain
8,428 posts

Posted:
I've been looking into buying a boat to live on and found THIS site useful as a atarting point. It gives you the basic ideas and knowledge you need to decide if boat dwelling is for you.

Feed me Chocolate!!! Feed me NOW!

147 posts

Posted:
right. https://houseboats.apolloduck.co.uk
this one has what I class as house boats.

278 posts

Posted:
Thank you both for these links, their very usefull. I am brutaly detirmined to get a house boat. I just got to start saving my money.

DuncGOLD Member
playing the days away
7,263 posts

Posted:
houseboats....I think really to be a boat it has to be moveable. Otherwise it's just a floating house wink

There are tons of boats covering all budgets. Single/two berth river boats, four + berth coastal cruisers, canal boats, other flat bottomed boats like canal boats but about twice as wide who's name escapes me at the moment.

If you're sure it's what you want to do, do A LOT of research. Not just on the size and location that you'd be looking for, but the materials is made from ie fibreglass, wood or steel. How old you're willing for it to be and associated maintenance costs etc. Most boats are expected to leave the water every so often for the hull to be painted, every one/two years for wood and glass and less often for metal.

Written by: Beth

4?? something you're not telling us Dunc? Or is it just that you're tall enough for 2 people?

Well we are three and we like to have spare space, plus you never know what the future might bring!! smile

Let's relight this forum ubblove

Tao StarPooh-Bah
1,662 posts

Posted:
ha ha

i'm just thinking about all the masses of careful research monkey & UCOF did.

ahhhh..the many hours of planning.

lol

I had a dream that my friend had a
strong-bad pop up book,
it was the book of my dreams.

=Flashpoint=SILVER Member
Pasta of Muppets
2,722 posts

Posted:
Yeas. Careful planning. Just what Simian and UCOF are famous for...

ohmygodlaserbeamspewpewpew!
ubbrollsmileubbrollsmileubbrollsmileubbrollsmile

simian110% MONKEY EVERY TIME ALL THE TIME JUST CANT STOP THE MONKEY
3,149 posts

Posted:
actually, we call it "plotting" and "scheming"

"Switching between different kinds of chuu chuu sometimes gives this "urgh wtf?" effect because it's giving people the phi phenomenon."

Firetrampold hand
898 posts

Posted:
Living on a boat is great. It's relaxing and peaceful and you meet lots of nice people not to forget how your popularity grows as everyone wants to come and visit!
I'm renting the boat I live on (2 berth riverboat) and it's moored at Bristol Marina. I only pay 140 a month, no extra costs and use all the facilities of the marina (showers, toilets, laundry). I have free internet on the boat as the Marina is an I-Zone. There's a long waiting list for mooring space at the marina though but there are less luxurious moorings in and around Bristol.

Good luck

Ask a question and be a fool for a minute...don't ask and be a fool your whole life.

MiGGOLD Member
Self-Flagellation Expert
3,414 posts

Posted:
there's one on that site for 7 pounds...

https://houseboats.apolloduck.co.uk/display.phtml?aid=37723

"beg beg grovel beg grovel"
"master"
--FSA

"There was an arse there, i couldn't help myself"
--Rougie

Firetrampold hand
898 posts

Posted:
Surely that's a misprint.

Ask a question and be a fool for a minute...don't ask and be a fool your whole life.

Page: