Forums > Beginner Poi Moves > I looked and couldn't find anything whirlers...please help

Login/Join to Participate

alicewonderlandBRONZE Member
Born on a green light daddy-o!!!
126 posts

Posted:
I keep seeing in galleries a move called a whirler and i for the life of me cannot figure it out...could someone please help...it looks like the poi starts at bottom spins all around the body to the top, and the person looks they are inside a fire spiral... a simply beautiful move, but can't find any info on it on here? If this has been covered i apologize and please point me in the right direction...thanks sooo much:)

When you're already walking on thin ice...why not dance?

[Nx?]BRONZE Member
Carpal \'Tunnel
3,749 posts

Posted:
lol

its not a hard move, its just really really hard.

i think its done with tourches, ask Menick, who did it.

basically its a lot of spinning on the spot and raising your hands up as you go, the hard part is spinning in exactly the same place, thats in the middle of both arms, Menick is a bit of a movement master and Ive never seen any9one turn like him

If you wanna come on this thread and lay down some tips for perfect piroettes nick, please do!

T wave

This is a post by tom, all spelling is deleberate
-><- Kallisti

oliSILVER Member
not with cactus
2,052 posts

Posted:
i think that you might find [Old link] thread useful, if you are talking about the move in this picture cool

Me train running low on soul coal
They push+pull tactics are driving me loco
They shouldn't do that no no no

[Nx?]BRONZE Member
Carpal \'Tunnel
3,749 posts

Posted:
the end of that thread at least... tongue

This is a post by tom, all spelling is deleberate
-><- Kallisti

126 posts

Posted:
ahhh i see, so it's with tourches welp guess i'll have to learn how to do that it's just too beautiful and my curiousity is sooo peaked, wish me luck i'm gonna try to figure this one out:) oh yeah, so um no clue about tourches open to advice on that one or actually i'll do a search and get back...(trying to be a good HOPper angel)

126 posts

Posted:
okay i looked and couldn't find anything on tourches any way someone could break it down for me? pretty please with sugar on top! biggrin

Suibomaddict
577 posts

Posted:
One thing to consider is that spinning for pictures is quite a bit different from just spinning. You can do this move to with poi, and a very similar looking move, which creates a helix rather then a full spiral, can be done with corskscrew movements. The thing is, unless you can move *extremely* fast in proper lighting when your poi are at certain brightness levels, the audience is not going to see anything even remotely as pretty as what you can capture with a long exposure picture. A good example would be a picture, I think from Coleman, who is spinning a circle with a square in it. It's a great looking effect with the long exposure capture, but if you were to see it live it would be quite boring I think.

Soo, if you're doing this for long exposure camera shots, then just play around with different movements and realize that the poi will trail as the shot is captured. If you're doing it live, then realize that the effect you will create will be a bit different, and likely less dazzling, than the ones in the pictures.

Definition of poi- A Hawaiian food made from the tuber of the taro that is cooked, pounded to a paste, and fermented.

Ahnold discussing poi - "It is naht a toober!"

LazyAngelGOLD Member
Carpal \'Tunnel
2,895 posts

Posted:
[Old link]

Because ActiveAngel sounds like a feminine deodorant

Like sex, I'm much more interesting in real life than online.

'Be the change you want to see in the world around you' - Ghandi