Sporkyaddict
663 posts

Posted:
I figured this would be the best place to post this so...

I have severe depression. I don't try to make it a secret nor make too much of a big deal out of it as it is part of me and has been for a long time but part of of my depression led me to self harm. again, I'm very open about it and usually am perfectly willing to discuss why I do it and help others as for me (because I've been doing it for so long) it has become sort of an addiction. Recently, however, I've noticed that I've been cutting less than I normally do because instead of reaching for my sharps I'm picking up my poi or staves or cj balls. I think it has something to do with the fact that I move around a lot when I spin and the relaxation of simply following the flow. Both my CPN and I are amazed at the reduction in the amount that I cut as I'm now down to about once a week (as opposed to three or four times a day). I actually spun for my CPN today and she said that during the spin and she said that I was almost in a trance. I take it thats a good thing but it made me wonder whether spinning has helped other HoPers give up something like that...

I guess it might also help over lent too wink

Have faith in what you can do and respect for what you can't

LurchBRONZE Member
old hand
929 posts

Posted:
I wouldn't say I was quite to your level, but I taught myself to spin while I was going through some pretty rough times and I'll agree it works wonders to ease things.

#homeofpoi -- irc.newnet.net Come talk to us we're bored frown

Warning: Please Do Not Jump On The Seals

Neon_ShaolinGOLD Member
hehe, 'Member' huhuh
6,120 posts

Posted:
there was one site which listed the benefits of poi. One was 'boosting self-confience'. It really does actually. It gives you a sense of achievement when you've mastered a move and the sense of affirmation when observers go 'ooooh he/she's good!' is nothing short of heartening.

I suppose I suffer from a mild form of depression and low self-esteem. Went to the doctor about it but she insisted it was due to my history of drug abuse and didn't even entertain the idea of psychological counselling. Then again perhaps i was just being a hypochondriac... (Or goddammit, she was right). Despite receiving lots of compliments for various things 'Amazing Artist' 'Great dancer' 'hot', I'm terrified that compliments will go to my head and turn me into the arrogant bastards I've despised in the past and I feel like I never actually deserve the praise.

With poi I suppose with all the practice I put in (and despite not yet being quite COL-league by any means) any compliments feel more justified and earned... Your own sense of achievement, regardless whether there's an audience there is enough to make you feel that little bit better about yourself.

I'm glad it's kept you from self-harming and hopefully will keep you from doing so but I hope any problems you have isn't completey long term and irreversible. For now just keep doing it..

"I used to want to change the world, now I just wanna leave the room with a little dignity..." - Lotus Weinstock

FireTomStargazer
6,650 posts

Posted:
... as much as you hit yourself with those balls you don't need to cut any much more... tongue wink

hug

But I thank you to raise this issue anyways, because I am certain that Poi actually does a lot more for and to your brain (naturally/ positively) than is predicted... I hope that this trend (with you) continues and we find more benefits.

There is some other thread in here, I guesss it was called: "What the art of poi has done for me (or you)" or something like that... maybe there is more to be found...

hug nice to hear that you enjoy yourself smile Thumbs up smile

the best smiles are the ones you lead to wink

newgabeSILVER Member
what goes around comes around. unless you're into stalls.
4,030 posts

Posted:
I have been thinking about starting a thread asking for information about research/evidence about this...Spork, would you mind if I raised the question here? (also if I asked you what a CPN is??)

I know a lot of us talk about poi (and other juggly/spinny things) being good for us... I have heard it 'grows new brain matter' and reorganises neural connections in a way that is calming emotionally and cognitively positive. With some of the results that you are talking about, Spork)
I suspect it is good for left/right brain integration, similar to the 'brain gynm' excercises such as corss crawling. Does anyone know of research/published articles etc to back this up?

.....Can't juggle balls but I sure as hell can juggle details....

jo_rhymesSILVER Member
Momma Bear
4,525 posts

Posted:
Spork, I totally agree. I have severe depression too, although I feel I'm making progress all the time. I find that poi and diabolo help. As does knitting and crafty stuff.
Not only does it keep your hands occupied, but it gives you a sense of achievement too.
well done, and if you ever need an ear or a shoulder, pm me hug

Hoppers are angels who lift us to our feet when our wings have trouble remembering how to fly.

DuncGOLD Member
playing the days away
7,263 posts

Posted:
I think the sense of achievement and taking part in something you love to do can only release positive energies (or chemicals ie endorphins etc) into your life. I'm glad you've found a way to releive your problems, I hope it helps you to find a way out of your problem forever.

Jo, you're the happiest depressive I've ever met, and certainly an inspiration to other depression sufferers hug

Let's relight this forum ubblove

jo_rhymesSILVER Member
Momma Bear
4,525 posts

Posted:
thanks Dunc hug ubblove I'm a natural bouncer! When the depression takes hold, I dont recognise myself though, it's so scary.
sunshine cheers me up lots, I'm so excited it's nearly Summer! Yaaaaay!! sunny
the silver lining to depression is that it makes you sooooo very grateful for the good times. I find my self in a constant state of appreciation!! biggrin

Hoppers are angels who lift us to our feet when our wings have trouble remembering how to fly.

faith enfireBRONZE Member
wandering thru the woods of WI
3,556 posts

Posted:
Poi has really helped me too. I’ve been clinically depressed since fifth grade. Been on medication for the past two years. But the meds just even me out and kind of made me zombie-ish. I used to cut, but now I just put on some heavy music and grab the poi. It’s hard cause you have to convince yourself to do something when you feel like laying in bed. It has given me that feeling of accomplishment. I haven’t gotten completely comfortable so I don’t think I reached this trance phase, but it still helps. If bf and I get angry with each other, I like to go do laundry and spin during the cycles tongue When I come back, I have my thoughts put together and I am much calmer
Maybe some of the benefits come when we are spinning outside in spring and summer (well, you, I just started so haven’t done it), but all that sunlight does something to your moods. You get a vitamin and that starts a chemical reaction that creates a good mood. If that is the case, I can’t wait for it to warm up because I’ve hit a rough patch and am having issues with a mood funk
Three cheers for poi
Three cheers for sunlight

Faith
Nay, whatever comes one hour was sunlit and the most high gods may not make boast of any better thing than to have watched that hour as it passed

AdeSILVER Member
Are we there yet?
1,897 posts

Posted:
smile hug

Sporkyaddict
663 posts

Posted:
Written by: newgabe

I have been thinking about starting a thread asking for information about research/evidence about this...Spork, would you mind if I raised the question here? (also if I asked you what a CPN is??)

A CPN is a Community Psychiatric Nurse.

I know a lot of us talk about poi (and other juggly/spinny things) being good for us... I have heard it 'grows new brain matter' and reorganises neural connections in a way that is calming emotionally and cognitively positive. With some of the results that you are talking about, Spork)

I'm not sure whether or not it grows new brain matter but I think it keeps the existing tissue active and less likely to stop working. Any kind of new activity will reorgainse neural pathways as the brain adapts its self to the new information. I think its entirely possible that poi is a way of activating calming areas of the brain. In fact I really like that idea smile. Its well known that keeping the brain active helps prevent Alzheimer's and other similar conditions but I wonder if this increaced and reorganised neural pathways have other knock on effects (increased IQ maybe).

I suspect it is good for left/right brain integration, similar to the 'brain gynm' excercises such as corss crawling. Does anyone know of research/published articles etc to back this up?

Thats an interesting point. Why don't we try and do our own research wink

Try this test and post your results here. It would be interesting to see what everyone gets. I aparently have a very ballanced brain biggrin

Have faith in what you can do and respect for what you can't

wonderloeyenthusiast
255 posts

Posted:
As someone who has had issues with hating her body (for a whole host of reasons) I think (at least for me) poi makes me comfortable in my own skin. Like going to dance parties, its something I do with my body where I'm not being judged, I'm just moving it, going with the flow and enjoying myself.

It brings me such peace.. I HAVE to slow down, I have to just stand in the middle and watch my body work.. and concentrate totally on something.

"You've gone from Loey the Wonder Lesbian to everyone wondering if you are a lesbian." - Shadowman

Yesterday is yesterday. If we try to recapture it, we will only lose tomorrow.

FireTomStargazer
6,650 posts

Posted:
Test: Right brain... shrug

Maybe I should practice more poi, rather than hanging out HoP and in front of a computer screen... wink :P

I doubt that brain matter is created anywhere inside your skull after you passed age 21... but then again, hey? what the *bleep* do I know?

Re: Not liking your body... I suffered the same "irrationality" and it seems to be very common these days, where 1% of the population gets photographed, standing for the other 99%... One advice: stop looking at fashion magazines! wink

Another: Always know that to YOU it's known land, to someone MEETING YOU, it's unknown frontier...

Having met a few models I was really surprised how many of them have a very troubled relationship to their own body and looks, even though the rest of the world considers them as "being beautiful"...

I managed to accept myself and my looks by simply giving into the inevitable... stop fighting windmills helps a lot in feeling good.

the best smiles are the ones you lead to wink

Kyle McLeanBRONZE Member
Living it up
363 posts

Posted:
OFS, kiss hug heart I admire your ability to be so open. I get depressed sometimes and find it very very dificult to communicate about it when I do. Respect.

... I have heard it 'grows new brain matter' and reorganises neural connections in a way that is calming emotionally and cognitively positive. Does anyone know of research/published articles etc to back this up?

Yep. Well not for the 'calming emotionally and cognitively positive part, although I strongly believe that too. As for the juggle-induced-brian-change (muhaha) I belive it's it's refered to by the more respected gnomes as 'learning-induced plasticity in the brain' -even better than mine eh tongue

(Draganski & Gaser et. al., Natrue #527) They found that:

Written by: respected gnomes

"Does the structure of an adult human brain alter in response to environmental demands? Here we use whole-brain magnetic-resonance imaging to visualize learning-induced plasticity in the brains of volunteers who have learned to juggle. We find that these individuals show a transient and selective structural change in brain areas that are associated with the processing and storage of complex visual motion. This discovery of a stimulus-dependent alteration in the brain's macroscopic structure contradicts the traditionally held view that cortical plasticity is associated with functional rather than anatomical changes"

They had a large number of people learn to juggle in the course of the study, and found that they ended up with different brains than the control group as a result. Food for thought. and brain. juggle

Contact without dance is like sex without wiggling.
A) it does feel as good
B) it does not look as good on film

newgabeSILVER Member
4,030 posts

Posted:
respected gnomes ubblol ubblol

faith enfireBRONZE Member
wandering thru the woods of WI
3,556 posts

Posted:
Most left-brained people like you feel at ease in situations requiring verbal ability, attention to detail, and linear, analytical ability. Whether you know it or not, you are a much stronger written communicator than many, able to get your ideas across better than others.

It's also likely that you are methodical and efficient at many things that you do. You could also be good at math, particularly algebra, which is based on very strict rules that make sense to your logical mind.

one problem hate math, though i do like formulas

Faith
Nay, whatever comes one hour was sunlit and the most high gods may not make boast of any better thing than to have watched that hour as it passed

newgabeSILVER Member
4,030 posts

Posted:
Well, I turned out to be a rare breed of balanced brain person who is generally brilliant at everything biggrin and only really gets confused when I have to make a decision and the two halves of my brain present me with equally valid though different solutions.
I knew that ubblol

BirgitBRONZE Member
had her carpal tunnel surgery already thanks v much
4,145 posts

Posted:
I'm left-brained. Whether that is because I didn't want more advice on dating, or because my analytical abilities told me paying 4.95 for a brain report by a dating website that wants to set me up for "free offers" with 10 different companies is a scam I don't know wink

"vices are like genitals - most are ugly to behold, and yet we find that our own are dear to us."
(G.W. Dahlquist)

Owner of Dragosani's left half