Forums > Beginner Poi Moves > Possible?? Isolated, reverse, antispin flower.

Login/Join to Participate

MireneyeSILVER Member
enthusiast
276 posts

Posted:
Seriously can't get my head around it. Personally I can do the normal flower, the antispin, and reverse, each one separate... I think Isolated flower should'nt be a problem, and logically one should be able to do them all in a mix. Any ideas ?? Or better, any video of somebody doing such a crazy flower move ?

*And I don't want to even start talkin about pendulums :P*

Sporkyaddict
663 posts

Posted:
I like doing butterfly flowers then changing the direction of one arm so that I have one poi going antispin and the other doing normal spinning. Another cool idea is a flower with an inversion when your arms are horizontal or a buzzsaw butterfly flower (you have to turn for this to work)

Have faith in what you can do and respect for what you can't

MikeIconGOLD Member
Pooh-Bah
2,109 posts

Posted:
I dunno that you can really isolate an anti-spin flower. I mean, Im sure you COULD, but in my mind, it doesnt seem like it would look that good. Isolations look best when they're static. In anti-spin flowers, the poi are constantly moving around and never do a static circle. I think youd actually have to do point isolations and you would end up with a boxy looking pattern.

Let's turn those old bridges we crossed into ashes.
We'll blaze a new trail,
and torch the rough patches.

-Me

MireneyeSILVER Member
enthusiast
276 posts

Posted:
Hmm, got me a few new ideas there. True, an isolation does look "best" when in some form of static. Tecnically I think the above is a difficult move to do beacuse of all the different movements that needs to be done. by the hand/arms. Beutiful, prolly not hehe. Hmm, I really need to practice em flowers more there's alot to learn there, and I really need to be able to let one go antispin and one go normal, that would probably look really cool.

MikeIconGOLD Member
Pooh-Bah
2,109 posts

Posted:
Also, I dunno if you can already do it, but you should learn to turn all forms of flowers 360 degrees in both directions.

We'll blaze a new trail,

-Me

MikeIconGOLD Member
Pooh-Bah
2,109 posts

Posted:
Basic Flower check list:
(all may be done with opposite directions as well)

Poi - F Butterfly, Arms - F Butterfly (Butterfly Flower)
Poi - R Butterfly, Arms - F Butterfly (Anti-Spin Butterfly Flower)
Poi - F Chase, Arms - F Chase (Chase Flower)
Poi - R Chase, Arms - F Chase (Anti-Spin Chase Flower)
Poi - F Chase, Arms - F Butterfly (Goofy Chase Flower)
Poi - F Butterfly, Arms - F Chase (Goofy Butterfly Flower)

My fav as of late is the Goofy Chase Flower. Its a versatile flower that can actually look good without turning it (as in, say, a transition from low to high reels). But maybe thats just me not being a big fan of most flowers unless they're turning.

We'll blaze a new trail,

-Me

[Nx?]BRONZE Member
Carpal \'Tunnel
3,749 posts

Posted:
yeah,

I think its coming up for two years now, and im finally beggining to get happy with turning antispin...

i think you can isolate antispin, but i think its pretty pointless unless you want to make a small flower inside a big one...

tongue

This is a post by tom, all spelling is deleberate
-><- Kallisti

oliSILVER Member
not with cactus
2,052 posts

Posted:
i think antispin is by its very nature isolated. everytime you spin a poi (as in give it a driving force with your hand, which you have to do or it stops..) it is a bit isolated . when you do isolations you emphasise this, when you spin antispin you do it in the wrong direction.... so you cant isolate antispin because it allready is.confused... thats just what i reckon though.

weavesmiley weavesmiley

Me train running low on soul coal
They push+pull tactics are driving me loco
They shouldn't do that no no no

LazyAngelGOLD Member
Carpal \'Tunnel
2,895 posts

Posted:
ahh but I think there is two types of antispin, in that you can have antispin which is 'pulled about' by your hand and creates a noticeably petally pattern (i.e antispin flowers) and then you can have antispin where it looks like your hand is moving the centre of rotation of the circles about (i.e meenik's anti-fountain buzzsaws, if you know what I mean)

At the end of the day it all comes down to how quickly you move your hands around the antipattern in relation to the speed of the poi:
faster=more petally pattern
slower=more circular pattern less discernible from antipsin, IMVHO
smile

Because ActiveAngel sounds like a feminine deodorant

Like sex, I'm much more interesting in real life than online.

'Be the change you want to see in the world around you' - Ghandi

MikeIconGOLD Member
Pooh-Bah
2,109 posts

Posted:
Thats not quite different anti-spin though... Its simply adding petals, just like adding petals to non anti-spin flowers. The less petals, the pointier they become... If you were able to do a 2 petal anti-spin youd end up with a straight line more or less.

We'll blaze a new trail,

-Me

[Nx?]BRONZE Member
Carpal \'Tunnel
3,749 posts

Posted:
im not sure any more that antispin is a type of isolation, the more i do it the more i think infact its just making your movement on the opposite point if the spin to normall. so forwards normall moves at the poi goes from top to bottom whereas the antispin folows the bottom to top portion of the spin.

If that makes any sence.

T wave

-><- Kallisti

LazyAngelGOLD Member
Carpal \'Tunnel
2,895 posts

Posted:
Tom yes it, does, that is exactly what antispin does, that is why in theory when you overlay an antispin flower over a normal flower, when both use the same centre and points of rotation (i.e hand positions) it should look like a series of linked circles

Because ActiveAngel sounds like a feminine deodorant

Like sex, I'm much more interesting in real life than online.

'Be the change you want to see in the world around you' - Ghandi

RevBRONZE Member
Bastard Newbie Messiah
1,269 posts

Posted:
antispin does isolate.. but it doesnt isolate in the sense of generic isolations (the kind that put the center of spin on the center of the string..) isoaltions are like flowers and antispin.. they are just concentric spinning.. how you line up the cricle in the circle determines what you get out of it.. a full isolation for instance is just spinning the poi opposite the arms, timing wise.. that way the poi is at the top of its circle when the arm is at the bottom its circle.. other 'generic' isolations play off this same symetry just dfferent size circles (poi and arm)... normal spin is keeping the arm in the same part of its circle as the poi is.. flowers are when we alternate the timing so that the poi does its circle to some given length of the arm crcle.. antispin is just moving the arm circle and the poi circle in a relation like a butterfly..

so by nature all of these will in their own way, and to differing degrees, give the same effect.. they all give that 'floating' feeling, since as the different cricles come together, they will feel 'weightless' at various points..

I use the term 'point isolations..' a point isolation is when you use the concentric motion of the arms and poi to get the poi to make 'new' cricles.. the poi essentially isolates aroung this point in space.. the outward appearance is a flower petal of some shape.. some are more round, others are more cateye.. but they are all the same thing..

More useless information courtesy of Rev...
Confusing the masses, one post at a time...
"Obviously, you're not a golfer.."- The Dude
"Buy the ticket... Take the ride..." -Raoul Duke
"FEMA has never done catastrophe planning..."-Michael Brown

FireTomStargazer
6,650 posts

Posted:
and when you have accomplished to blend everything: do it horizontally, videotape it and PLEASE notify me of where I can download! bounce wink

the best smiles are the ones you lead to wink

infinitemember
110 posts

Posted:
the antispin reverse flowers isolated would make very tiny flower petals in normal anitspin flower shape. Try try and try again.

dont make peoples heads turn, give them whiplash.

xavhanBRONZE Member
26 posts

Posted:
https://legoblinmagik.free.fr/antispinface.MOV

an original antispin flower

(I works in simple flower too!)

Xav

MikeIconGOLD Member
Pooh-Bah
2,109 posts

Posted:
Not sure what youre showing here... I suppose you mean the isolation? Thats cool, but I think the topic at hand is actually isolating the flower, not just isolating to reset it.

Oh. and... Yay for non-turning flowers! wink

We'll blaze a new trail,

-Me

xavhanBRONZE Member
26 posts

Posted:
if you dont want to do an iso you can put here an hyperloop!

and I think you cant isolate the flower because

the hand circle will be on the poi circle

so when you do an normal iso you do a iso flower!!!!

take a look here at the imakokode's article

https://www.imakokode.org/Antispinenglish.doc

EDITED_BY: xavhan (1141943750)

pricklyleafSILVER Member
with added berries
1,365 posts

Posted:
I agree with rev, I think antispin flowers are already isolated within the pattern. I also think you could isolate them further, however, I'm not convinced that this would look very good, and would distract from the beauty of the antispin flower itself in my opinion. If someone manages to do this, then post up a video, I'd be interrested to see how it turns out.

Live like there is no tomorrow,
dance like nobody is watching
and hula hoop like wiggling will save the world.

“What lies behind us and what lies before us are tiny matters compared to what lies within us.”

Ralph Waldo Emerson

MireneyeSILVER Member
enthusiast
276 posts

Posted:
well, it definietly doesn't feel impossible any more. I've even forgotten what I did mean by reverse, hmm. Anyways, I'm working on trying to make my flower to the 3 isolated petals in an interval of 120 degrees from each other, and doing the main ones at 90. Trying to frame it into a rythm will definietly make it feel cleaner, but it's still messy in my head.

Practice =)

RevBRONZE Member
Bastard Newbie Messiah
1,269 posts

Posted:
the difficult part about complex flower patterns is having something bright enough to leave enough of a trail for the pattern to emerge well...

[Nx?]BRONZE Member
Carpal \'Tunnel
3,749 posts

Posted:
like fire? wink

-><- Kallisti

RevBRONZE Member
Bastard Newbie Messiah
1,269 posts

Posted:
depends.. I've seen people spin fire that didnt leave nice enough trails.. maybe they were low on fuel, or maybe they just had wicks that were too small.. I dunno..

Suibomaddict
577 posts

Posted:
Nah, more light doesn't necessarily leave better trails. I've found the best time to perform any pattern that excells with trails is when the poi flame dies down or even shifts to blue, the other factor is speed. I wish I could find a way to sustain that low flame for longer.

Definition of poi- A Hawaiian food made from the tuber of the taro that is cooked, pounded to a paste, and fermented.

Ahnold discussing poi - "It is naht a toober!"

shen shuiSILVER Member
no excuses. no apologies.
1,799 posts

Posted:
if i had a wish, it would be for peace (on any level you like). it wouldn't be to find a way to sustain that low flame for longer. :P
heh-heh.

those that know, dont say. those that say, dont know.