• All Purchases made this month instantly go into the draw to win a USD $ 100.00 credit to your HoP account.

Forums > Social Discussion > Wiccan Symbols on Gravestones?

Login/Join to Participate
Page: 12
Prometheus

Prometheus

Diamond In The Rough

Total posts: 459
Posted:Two seperate Wiccan groups have asked the federal government to approve the pentagram for use on deceased veteran's grave markers
Story Link

Since we have no established religion in the US, so you shouldn't have to belong to the monotheistic 'big three' to have your religious symbol on your gravestone, especially if you've given your life for your country. This is purely political cowardice. frown

Dance like it hurts; Love like you need money; Work like someone is watching.

Never criticize someone until you've walked a mile in their shoes. That way, when you DO criticize them, you are a mile away, and you have their shoes.

Delete Topic

TinklePants
GOLD Member since Jul 2005

TinklePants

Clique Infiltrator, Cunning Linguist and Master Debator

Total posts: 4217
Posted:Always glad to be of service biggrin

I have plenty more useless information stored on the hard drive of my brain ubbloco

Always use "so's your face" and "only on Tuesdays" in as many conversations possible

Delete

NOn

activist for HoPper liberation.

Total posts: 1643
Posted:the useless information is always useful to somebody, so keep hold of it. smile

Aurinko freedom agreement reached 10th Sept 2006

if it makes no sense that's because it's NOn-sense.

Delete

TinklePants

TinklePants

Posted:Thats what I tell the bf when he says my knowledge is random and weird! lol

Always use "so's your face" and "only on Tuesdays" in as many conversations possible

Delete

NOn

activist for HoPper liberation.

Total posts: 1643
Posted:well i always need to know random and weird bits of information, so i'll make you my personal encyclopedia, and he can see that it comes in handy when i become a master designer/philsopher/architect/world saviour/and queen of my own newly discoverd planet biggrin

Aurinko freedom agreement reached 10th Sept 2006

if it makes no sense that's because it's NOn-sense.

Delete

Domino
SILVER Member since May 2004

UnNatural Scientist - Currently working on a Breville-legged monkey

Total posts: 757
Posted:http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Pentigram
br>
Apparently, an inverted pentigram has also been preposed as a symbol for atheism because the pentgram is often seen as a symbol of the occult, an inversed pentigram been a rejection of this.

Give me a lever long enough and a place to stand and I can beat the world into submission.

Delete

Igirisujin
SILVER Member since Jul 2005

Igirisujin

Carpal \'Tunnel

Total posts: 2666
Posted:Wouldnt atheism become a religeon once it adopts a symbol though? If you dont beleive in something then whats the symbol for?

Chief adviser to the Pharaoh, in one very snazzy mutli-coloured coat

'Time goes by so slowly for those who wait...' - Whatever Happend To Baby Madonna?

Delete

jeff(fake)

jeff(fake)

Scientist of Fortune

Total posts: 1189
Posted:Written by: Brit_Joe

Wouldnt atheism become a religeon once it adopts a symbol though? If you dont beleive in something then whats the symbol for?

It's a bit of fun really. Look at the Darwin fish symbol. wink

Atheism is as much a religion as 'bald' is a hair colour. rolleyes

According to Heisenberg's Uncertainty Principle of Quantum Dynamics, we may already be making love right now...

Delete

Ade
SILVER Member since Mar 2001

Are we there yet?

Total posts: 1897
Posted:Written by: TinklePants

The inverted pentagram (upside down) is however, used in satanism, usually with a goats head in the middle.

an inverted pentagram, in a wiccan conext, is the symbol for second degree initiates in a certain tradition ubbrollsmile

Delete

TinklePants

TinklePants

Posted:Its a symbol for matter over spirit - yes I know this, but followers of Anton LaVey, and the church of Satan etc use the Sigil of the Baphomet...

Non-Https Image Link

My point is - see a pentagram - do not think satanism.
If you see the above symbol, then you can.

Delete

VampyricAcid
SILVER Member since Jun 2005

VampyricAcid

veteran

Total posts: 1286
Posted:Written by: Lurch

No offence, but Wiccans are pretty far down the totem pole when it comes to world religions and population/popularity. There are a lot of other groups that should be coming first if you want to start playing that game. Eventually though it's going to become a massive database of different symbols for specific religions/people. Someone is going to get the wrong icon put on their gravestone and the lion will have three heads instead of two heads and a serpents tail, or he'll be holding three arrows instead of an arrow and an olive branch and then all hell will break lose...

*pardon my ramblings... I didn't get any sleep tonight..

you mean other than being the fastest growing religion?

Proudly Owned By The BMVC

Are You Sniffing My Mitten?

Delete

inactive
SILVER Member since May 2005

inactive

old hand

Total posts: 722
Posted:Post deleted by Sunbird

To you who has been accessing my online accounts, changing my login details, locations and posting censored about me, realise, you are not worth revenge, you are not worth my attention, you are nothing, and that is all you ever will be.

Delete

Patriarch917
SILVER Member since Oct 2005

Patriarch917

I make my own people.

Total posts: 607
Posted:Is there a scientology symbol for gravestones?

Delete

Zauberdachs

Zauberdachs

enthusiast

Total posts: 220
Posted: Written by: Patriarch917

Is there a scientology symbol for gravestones?

Perhaps a UFO interlinked with a dollar symbol? wink

The insults of your enemy are a tribute to your bravery wink

Delete

Page: 12