Forums > Social Chat > Well, my zuni poi arrived..sigh

Login/Join to Participate

pureenergymember
17 posts

Posted:
My zuni poi arrived two days ago, much quicker than i expected, and from the go they were pretty cool..Look great, made an awesome sound, and didn't hurt nearly as bad as glowsticks when i whacked myself trying a reverse weave...:-) Few problems with them though..First i can't do wraps with them..the tail unfailably gets wrapped up with the head unless i do the smallest possible wrap, causing the poi to get stuck, butterflies took some readjusting as the tails would get stuck together..and finally tonight..the "unique clip" that was attached to the head broke free in the middle of a fountain and sent the head flying, lol. Not sure if i should send them back or look for a replacement hook or what..any suggestions?Hugs,matt------------------All that AND a bag of chips?!? Now that's a deal!

All that AND a bag of chips?!? Now that's a deal!

pureenergymember
17 posts

Posted:
Actually i am coming to the conclusion that it is the design of the zuni poi that is at fault..after examing the clip that did come off and examining the one that didn't (although it was about too) i realized that those clips just can't stand up to the kind of force the poi exerts when you spin fast.the part that actually came off was the part of the fish hook type clip at the end, but it wasn't the part of it that the poi attaches too, it was the other end..one side of it pulls out of the metal structure as it spins around, i was able to put it back in but it doesn't seem very secure..if you sent me another one i don't see how i could attach it unless you sent the entire metal fixture..i was actually considering sending the zunis back and ordering some of the fire poi that have the clip on the end..those seem like they would be more secure, i would hate to be at a rave and have the zuni clip come off and knock somebody out with the projectile glowstick that resulted lol..I don't suppose i could like send back the zunis and get order some of the fire poi with zuni heads instead of wicks? i don't plan on lighting up for a very long time (esp. since im in florida, home of the drought) and i really love the zuni heads for daytime practicingsorry if this is really longhugsmatt------------------All that AND a bag of chips?!? Now that's a deal!

AnonymousPLATINUM Member

Posted:
erm just for interests sake,I have comet poi, and can wrap, you just have to be quick and precise...Also - I have fire poi and do wraps all the time (to the detriment of my clothes smile) - you just have to be quick...although I dont know if the tails on my comets are as long as the tails on professionally built poi...Josh

AnonymousPLATINUM Member

Posted:
i ordered the beginners set (they were cheap and came with a video), and am curious as to this clip you talk of. does mine have one? i took a look at it, and i cant see any way of removing the head or replacing it with glowsticks for raves or anything like that. which i dont mind all that much because mine are uv sensative, but i just thought it might be cool later. if mine do have clips, how do i go about exchanging the ends?redbrotherGod bless

pureenergymember
17 posts

Posted:
Alright man, awesome stuff. If you are going to send new cords, ill have to measure, but if you just make them the same length as the zuni cord that would be awesome, i'm getting used to that size and i kinda like it :-) Oh the clip came off again when i was spinning, and just so you could see what i meant i took a picture of it...
Non-Https Image Link
the arrow points to the part that came out, sorry it's kinda big i didn't want to shrink it down.Thanks man,Matt------------------All that AND a bag of chips?!? Now that's a deal!

AnonymousPLATINUM Member

Posted:
nope, mine have no clips frown oh well, i think if i try hard enough i can find a life application lesson here. hmm, life is like poi, when you spin really fast you will break your clip, assuming you were blessed with one in the first place wink actually i love my poi they rule, i guess im content with being clipless, i actually am hoping to try to build my own pair when i get off my lazy bum. (im lazy... maybe theres a life application lesson here too... maybe i better stop wasting your time with pointless ramble... sorry)clipless poi rule tongue

tricky56member
23 posts

Posted:
I use the competition poi that are for sale on this site, and love them, haven't had any problem what so ever. I do all sorts of wraps, leg, arm, double wraps, and reverses, and have never had anyproblem with them getting caught. I also have made my own strings for them out of 1/16 inch steel cable, which worked really well (even for wraps). the one complaint that I have about the comp. poi are the fingerholds, but I guess that's just personal preferance for double loops