jim bombadilmember
142 posts

Posted:
recently i've been planting veges around my town centre. I just kind of figured the more edible things were right there in front of people for free might start heads thinking a little. Basically this is a post to encourage others to do the same any where you can I rekon the most visable the better as this is an artistic statement at this stage as well as food produce. The only things you can plant in england at this time of year are some broad bean seeds and maybe some onions but ask your mums and dads for a big stash of vege seeds for xmas and lets take over our cities this spring!!

DeepSoulSheepGOLD Member
Carpal \'Tunnel
2,617 posts

Posted:
Now that is the coolest idea, I've heard in ages. Do I have to dig for these seeds or do I just throw them on the ground like Jack and the bean stalk.

I live in a world of infinite possibilities.

TheBovrilMonkeySILVER Member
Liquid Cow
2,629 posts

Posted:
I seem to remember a group of people being arrested because they pulled up a chunk of the pavement in a town centre and planted a sapling

I may be making parts of this up though, my memory isn't that fantastic

But there's no sense crying over every mistake. You just keep on trying till you run out of cake.

tadpoleGOLD Member
enthusiast
200 posts

Posted:
Thats one of the best ideas I've heard in a while

Onions and beans, you say... Will have to try this soonish. Would that be the Bristol that lives in the UK, or a different one?

Don't worry, be happy...

colemanSILVER Member
big and good and broken
7,330 posts

Posted:
at the may day protest last year someone pulled up paving stones in parliament square and planted a tree in the earth underneath...

does that ring any bells bov or am i thinking of something completely different?

"i see you at 'dis cafe.
i come to 'dis cafe quite a lot myself.
they do porridge."
- tim westwood

jim bombadilmember
142 posts

Posted:
depends on the seeds, it'll say on the back of the pack if you buy them from a garden centre. differnt seeds need different conditions. Also a good idea is to mix which veges you plant in an area rather than rows like the packs often state as this will alow different species to protect each other from predetors (bio diversity and multi cultural doo dahs in action!!) I remember there was some planting in parliment square a few years back for reclaim the streets these may have been the guys who were arested maybee you could find out on reclaim the streets

TheBovrilMonkeySILVER Member
Liquid Cow
2,629 posts

Posted:
It may well have been in Parliament square, thinking about it a couple of other things have popped back into my head - I thing they were planting apple trees, and there were loads of them being planted.
I'll try and find out what I'm thinking of

But there's no sense crying over every mistake. You just keep on trying till you run out of cake.

jim bombadilmember
142 posts

Posted:
yeah brizzle, england. check out the broad beans down on college green, theres some more up in castle park as well around the church. I had some sprouts up there but they got up rooted unluckly.

jim bombadilmember
142 posts

Posted:
i just found a wicked website about the goto primal seeds and have a look.

tadpoleGOLD Member
enthusiast
200 posts

Posted:
Thats awesome, lets form a guerrilla gardening army and march on the cities! If this idea takes root the possibilities are huge...
Went bean hunting on college green ealier, but they must have seen me coming and done a runner, will have to a closer look during the week...

Don't worry, be happy...

jim bombadilmember
142 posts

Posted:
down in the flower beds by the bottom of park street