Forums > Social Chat > (Rant) Being asked "Are you gay?"

Login/Join to Participate
Page:
DominoSILVER Member
UnNatural Scientist - Currently working on a Breville-legged monkey
757 posts

Posted:
Right....

Disclaimer - I'm a tad (ha) worse for drink than usual which has made me shorter of temperament than usual.

Tonight, not for the first time, I've been asked "Are you gay?" for being more eloquent/intelligent(?) than those around me.

I won't deny it, when I'm asked something like this or when I feel that someone's "predijouses" [[ I have no idea on the spelling of this - beliefs based on sterotypes]] merits it I will pretend to be more "gay" than I actually am.

But still, it makes me wonder. Are homosexual men (I can't really apply this to women) more elloquent that average? Or is that you women expect us heterosexual men to communicate in grunts and arm motions?

I'm not .. no, yes, I *am* offended, not because some one is questioning my sexuality but because someone is questioning my sexuality BECAUSE OF THE WORDING I CHOOSE TO USE.

So, as ineloquently as I can put this, with added arm motions, WHAT THE censored IS GOING ON? Why is it that when I use more syllables than expected or (heaven forbid,) logic my sexuality is in question?

Just to clarify, I have a girlie friend that I love dearly and, as far as I can tell, understands me (or is at least willing to listen and learn) so this is by no means a rant against the female race as a whole, just that section of it that I keep seeming to run into. Neither is this any kind of anti-homosexual thing. Maybe I'm a "Masculinist" but I object, just a tad, to this idea that heterosexual men are nothing but sperm donors/toys/objects of amusement that seems to be so prevalent in the (at least British) media these days.

Further disclaimer - Yes I'm angry. Yes I'm drunk. Apologies or further explanations may appear tomorrow.

Give me a lever long enough and a place to stand and I can beat the world into submission.

clarence_quackSILVER Member
QuackerJack
1,927 posts

Posted:
Claire's rant time...

One of the regulars came into work today, looked me up and down, then proceeded to turn to one of the guys I work with and asked "what's with the coloured hair thing? Do you have lots of dykes working here?"
Now, out of all the people I work with, only two of us have coloured hair. So it could only be directed at me and my friend Katie. I have blue and pink streaks through my hair, Katie has short hair with half blue, half red/orange. Clearly, this MUST make us lesbians.
If I followed similar reasoning, then the fact the this guys wears pink thongs clearly makes him gay. Beacause no straight guy would be caught dead wearing pink, just as no straight girl would be caught dead with coloured hair.

My question is, What kind of narrow minded idiots feel the need to make this type of comment?

(Just for the record, we're both straight!)

Ok, rant over. smile

Nutella Brigade Unite!

"Look! I have a rainbow penis!" - Rouge

Owned By Steaks

DominoSILVER Member
757 posts

Posted:
Written by: coleman

Written by: Doc Lightning

Except I like dic...er...schlon...er...ween...um... footinmouth

man, that smiley made me do a double take! wink

cole. x

ubblol ubblol ubblol ubblol ubblol ubblol ubblol

Give me a lever long enough and a place to stand and I can beat the world into submission.

DentrassiGOLD Member
ZORT!
3,045 posts

Posted:
Written by: clarence_quack

the fact the this guys wears pink thongs clearly makes him gay.

well.... i suppose it depends what type of pink thong we are talking about... wink

"Here kitty kitty...." - Schroedinger.

DominoSILVER Member
757 posts

Posted:
*Smacks own head*

Aussies! She talking about sandles!

Was wondering about that...

ducky2108A little bit of a board whore
147 posts

Posted:
Oh right. Flip flops. I was just about to mention how no gay man in their right mind would be caught dead in a pink g-strig

Ancient wiseman say "It is very strange person, who, when left alone in room with teacosy, does not try it on"

ducky2108A little bit of a board whore
147 posts

Posted:
Also, to NeonShaolin, a lot of gay men don't like being thought of as straight. And, can we not use the word "mate" I think the word you're looking for is partner. Last I knew, mate usually means breeding, and gays are to goo at that sort of thing. It's not the issue itself I have problems with. It's the words being used to describe to.

Some people seem to be quite happy to use the word "I was accused of being gay once". Accused to me, and to a lot of other people, suggests something wrong.

Ancient wiseman say "It is very strange person, who, when left alone in room with teacosy, does not try it on"

clarence_quackSILVER Member
QuackerJack
1,927 posts

Posted:
Written by: Domino

*Smacks own head*

Aussies! She talking about sandles!

Was wondering about that...

ubblol Didn't even cross my mind that it could be interpreted that way...
Note to self: colloquialism= BAD!

Nutella Brigade Unite!

"Look! I have a rainbow penis!" - Rouge

Owned By Steaks

wonderloeyenthusiast
255 posts

Posted:
I've got to say, I'm sick of people asking if I'm gay...

I am gay, but hell, what's that got to do with it? I don't assume people are gay or straight, I wait for it to become apparent.. If that's after I've made a fool of myself, so be it..

At least I gave it a shot, right? tongue

"You've gone from Loey the Wonder Lesbian to everyone wondering if you are a lesbian." - Shadowman

Yesterday is yesterday. If we try to recapture it, we will only lose tomorrow.

pineapple peteSILVER Member
water based
5,125 posts

Posted:
i think its entertaining. someone asked me the other day, so i reply 'no, why? are you?' then sat a little closer to them... they left.

"you know there are no trophys for doing silly things in real life yeah pete?" said ant "you wont get a 'listened to ride of the valkyries all the way to vietnam' trophy"

*proud owner of the very cute fire_spinning_angel, birgit and neon shaolin*

IgirisujinSILVER Member
Carpal \'Tunnel
2,666 posts

Posted:
Its all Oscar Wilde and Fred Astaire's fault

Chief adviser to the Pharaoh, in one very snazzy mutli-coloured coat

'Time goes by so slowly for those who wait...' - Whatever Happend To Baby Madonna?

Ange_GSCGOLD Member
HOP's glowstick ambassador!!
128 posts

Posted:
Ugh, this thread is the story of my life. People assume Im gay because I like dancing, acting and singing.......mainly because I was the only guy in almost every dance class, acting workshop, or choir I've ever been in.

Great way of meeting nice girls actually.........but yeah it does get a pretty damn annoying after a while.

missegyptology: "I just remember beingall off balance and unicycling really fast down to campus and the arabic was all blurred on the page"

^When Linz pulls an all nighter before Arabic class^

Neon_ShaolinGOLD Member
hehe, 'Member' huhuh
6,120 posts

Posted:
Dammit Lumiere... Such a pretty boy too...

It gets pretty annoying people assuming you're str8 as well...

Pet peeve is when people say 'such a waste' when they find that someone whom they deem attractive is gay/lesbian. A waste of what?!

"I used to want to change the world, now I just wanna leave the room with a little dignity..." - Lotus Weinstock

MikeGinnyGOLD Member
HOP Mad Doctor
13,925 posts

Posted:
Written by: pineapple pete

i think its entertaining. someone asked me the other day, so i reply 'no, why? are you?' then sat a little closer to them... they left.

Neh. Petey, you're too cute to be gay. wink

-Mike

Certified Mad Doctor and HoP High Priest of Nutella

A buckuht n a hooze! -Valura

Neon_ShaolinGOLD Member
hehe, 'Member' huhuh
6,120 posts

Posted:
Written by: Doc Lightning

Neh. Petey, you're too cute to be gay. wink

Does this mean I'm an ugly [censored]?

"I used to want to change the world, now I just wanna leave the room with a little dignity..." - Lotus Weinstock

NoddyToe Poking Bad Boy
2,865 posts

Posted:
Written by: Neon Shaolin

Mmmmmm Cumbrian sausage....

And gravy...

im from cumbria!

no argument! ubblol

Remember.........YOU LOSE!!!

alien_oddityCarpal \'Tunnel
7,193 posts

Posted:
I was supposed to be getting a lift to a rave the other weekend, i ended up in diss (norfolk UK) with a bunch of 17-18 year olds in a nice old farm house. we ended up getting VERY drunk............................a few days later the girl that invited me asked if i was gay eek

after much discussion i figured out the reason she thought this was because i didn't hit on her (try to get in her knickers) ubblol

i'm sorry but it's not something i aim to do when i barely know someone hehe and being 17/18 i'm like 7 years older...........that and her mum was at home and i had to lie i was only 20 ubblol

NoddyToe Poking Bad Boy
2,865 posts

Posted:
ubblol partying with the young'uns

asked if i was gay a few times by a few lasses cos i 'had to taste in styles'

yeah right! so that makes me gay?

alien_oddityCarpal \'Tunnel
7,193 posts

Posted:
tell me about it nod................so i'm gay because i don't try to pull some girl i just met even though she's still in 6th form ubblol

NoddyToe Poking Bad Boy
2,865 posts

Posted:
ok 6th form is like year below for me but i know what you mean year 11's are like 'ooo i want you' but its like sorry lass your a bit too young for me

Patriarch917SILVER Member
I make my own people.
607 posts

Posted:

Non-Https Image Link

TKOFmember
44 posts

Posted:
Written by: Noddy

ok 6th form is like year below for me but i know what you mean year 11's are like 'ooo i want you' but its like sorry lass your a bit too young for me

are you having a fu.c king laugh noddy how can you tell lies to people someone who is 16 is to young for you????
not less than 6 months ago you were hiting on a 14 year old girl not only that you were trying to justify to me why it was ok for you to go out with someone who is 14!!!!

and what about glasto??? 15y ring any bells get a life

and start telling the truth!!!!!

the end is nigh and now comence the time of the retarded badger

DutSILVER Member
lurker
380 posts

Posted:
yeah. i've been asked this a few times jokingly (i think), and have been told by nearly every close female friend that even if i claim not to be gay, i'm certainly not straight. lol. and yeah, i think it's 100% about aggressiveness vs. naievity. i've seriously told girls "i'm enjoying kissing you, but don't think i want to date you or even sleep with you tonight -- it's just the easiest way to convince girls that i like them alot as a person and I'm not gay... that and it's fun." the ones i've not made out with even though i thought they needed it emotionally, things have always gone bad/weird with. if a girl asks you if you're gay tho, and it's not in front of a crowd of people for them to laugh at, it's probably a passive-aggressive pick-up line on her part. just take one for the team and make out with her. biggrin

alicewonderlandBRONZE Member
Born on a green light daddy-o!!!
126 posts

Posted:
Just wanted to jump on the band wagon lol, I think it is very rude to ask people their sexuality preferences, honestly does it matter enough to ask someone... You have to be pretty self absorbed too after being turned down to ask someone if their gay... soapbox...**steps down from soapbox and passes the mic** thanks for letting me join the rant biggrin

When you're already walking on thin ice...why not dance?

DrudwynForget puppy power, Scrappy's just gay
632 posts

Posted:
People just assume I'm straight. Anyone wanna swap?

Spin, bounce, be one with the world, because it is yours to enjoy...

Nephtysresident fridge magnet
835 posts

Posted:
Written by: alicewonderland

Just wanted to jump on the band wagon lol, I think it is very rude to ask people their sexuality preferences, honestly does it matter enough to ask someone... You have to be pretty self absorbed too after being turned down to ask someone if their gay... soapbox...**steps down from soapbox and passes the mic** thanks for letting me join the rant biggrin

Depends why they're asking... if they want to know whether they have a chance it's flattering!

everyone's unique except me

Fine_Rabid_DogInternet Hate Machine
10,530 posts

Posted:
Its hardly rude to enquire about sexual preference. Its like asking what your shoe size is. ubbangel

wink

Seriously though, its not that rude. Its like Nephtys says... unless of course some says \"wanna go out?\" \"No\" \"Are you gay!?\"... I guess then its rude. Otherwise I reckon its fair game.

The existance of flamethrowers says that someone, somewhere, at sometime said "I need to set that thing on fire, but it's too far away."

CharlesBRONZE Member
Corporate Circus Arts Entertainer
3,989 posts

Posted:
I agree. A genuine request abnout your orientation means that the people asking are genuinely interested in who you are and want to learn more.

Although, I must admit, most sexual orientation questions I've overhard tend to be derogatory, in the same way as askign someone if they are stupid, or braindamaged... eek

HoP Posting Guidelines
* Is it the Truth?
* Is it Fair to all concerned?
* Will it build Goodwill and Better Friendships?
* Will it be Beneficial to all concerned?

MojojoGOLD Member
wandering dingo
167 posts

Posted:
hmmm, back to the original rant, maybe she thought you were gay because you didn't hit on her.

Only three things are certain: Death, Taxes, and that England will not win back the Ashes in this lifetime.

wonderloeyenthusiast
255 posts

Posted:
 Written by: Charles

I agree. A genuine request about your orientation means that the people asking are genuinely interested in who you are and want to learn more.

Even genuine questions about my orientation become boring after a while.. Because if you are going to ask someone about their hair/eye colour, you don't get asked really personal questions about your sex/family life, which tends to happen when talking about sexuality.

I don't mind discussing my personal life with the people that have earned the honour of that level of respect and trust, but people seem to expect it will be given to them.

My friends will tell ya, I'll say just about anything.. Just GET TO KNOW ME FIRST!!!

*end rant* biggrin

"You've gone from Loey the Wonder Lesbian to everyone wondering if you are a lesbian." - Shadowman

Yesterday is yesterday. If we try to recapture it, we will only lose tomorrow.

AsenaGOLD Member
What a Bummer
3,224 posts

Posted:
 Written by: Charles

Although, I must admit, most sexual orientation questions I've overhard tend to be derogatory, in the same way as askign someone if they are stupid, or braindamaged... eek

I'm both gay and stupid... do I win a prize? smile

But like, I seem to come across as straight, and I only get annoyed if somone asks if I'm gay at myself for not being obvious enough. Although, I tell you what does bug me, is when people find out your gay, and then follow it up with "can I be ur friend?? I've never had a gay friend before!!". Suddenly I become a fashion accesorie (my spelling is all wrong today) AND THAT TICKS ME OFF!!! GRRRR! RAR! BLA!

*breathe*

Ah, anyone else get that or is it just me who suffers with that problem?

Oh and I really dont get offended if someone asks if I'm "a gay"... I'm proud of who I am smile

Page: