Forums > Social Discussion > G.S.A. (Gay Striaght Alliance) Parents choice?

Login/Join to Participate

Str8JakitDealing in Perception & Probability
135 posts

Posted:
I know the title of this thread cought your eye, and has you wondering what it's going to cover. Well it's a about a school club. As the name suggests it's a group of gay and straight students coming together. Now I am not 100% familiar with it, so I'm not going to try and explain it. You can google it if you like.

Here's the thing, in my area the school system knows they can not fight or stop this club from forming in our public schools. Now as you can guess it has ALOT of parents upset. As a form of compromise with the parents, the school system as decided to send home a list of clubs, what they do during their club times, and so on. Now the purpose of this list is so that the parents can decide what club(s) they DO NOT want their child to attend. They claim it's not just becasue of the G.S.A. and that there might parents out there that don't want their kids in other kinds of clubs either.

I for one think that's a little over board. They don't offer clubs in the grade levels my daughter is in. But when she gets to those grade levels, I will not restrict her choices in anyway. I fell this is not helpng anything. It's still seems like a way to force a child into ideals that may not be their own. I mean what if the child is gay, and the parents mark they don't him/her in the G.S.A.? won't that just make the child feel more alienated? What do you all think?

Legal and illegal are a point of view. All that matters is morality.

If there's a shadow in your life, then there is also sunshine. Perception is everything.

NYCNYC
9,232 posts

Posted:
The GSA has existed for years at my school. It's great. I was thinking of being the sponsor but the time comitment is too great.

We've never had any problems or complaints. The club does great things such as "tolerance awareness" programs and such. I know many of my students feel comfortable being in GSA no matter what their sexuality. I'm sure it's much more comforting for a gay student to have something like this.

I also know there is certainly no way a parent could restrict a student from attending a meeting in my school.

So... update from my school: Great club, no complaining parents, lots of positive activities.

YAY!

Then again, I do live in New York City which is pretty liberal. We even have black people.

wink

Well, shall we go?
Yes, let's go.
[They do not move.]

ducky2108A little bit of a board whore
147 posts

Posted:
The club sounds like a great idea. I wish my school would have had something similar. In fact, I wish all schools had something similar.

It is sad though that they felt the need to "inform" parents of the clubs at the school because of (what seems like) this one club. I'd be interested to see how many parents kick up a fuss

Ancient wiseman say "It is very strange person, who, when left alone in room with teacosy, does not try it on"

KyrianDreamer
4,308 posts

Posted:
Thats awful. We really give parents a bit too much control over their children sometimes. Apparently its their "right."

Yay frown

Keep your dream alive
Dreamin is still how the strong survive

Shalom VeAhavah

New Hampshire has a point....

Neon_ShaolinGOLD Member
hehe, 'Member' huhuh
6,120 posts

Posted:
You'd think after all the effort gone into the scrapping of Section 28 that this kind of thing would be a thing of the past. Or was it just me being overly-optimistic?

For those who don't know, Section 28 was a bill introduced in the early/mid 80s preventing LEAs from 'promoting homosexuality' in their schools. In affect, a teacher would've been fired for telling a pupil that 'it was ok to be gay'. Whereas racist bullying would've been intolerable, many a teacher have been in a quandry when dealing with homophobic bullying as any defence of the bullied would've been seen as a vindication of homosexuality. This bill was finally repealled last year and it seemed that schools would have the power to educate kids about this and hopefully reduce bigotry in fertile ignorant minds. But then again this merely means that they won't be penalised for doing so. After what Str8jakit just wrote, the matter seems to be whether or not they will take advantage of this.

Plus this is a kind of thing that may demand confidentiality. Don't teenage girls who end up pregnant have confidentiality with their doctors? (I'm really not sure how it works seeing as it probably never affects me).

It seems really sad that a kid who's sexuality is going through the delicate developing stages will bring home a form and see their parents prefer that their kid rather not be associated with the queers. Let alone 'become' one of them.

"I used to want to change the world, now I just wanna leave the room with a little dignity..." - Lotus Weinstock

Str8JakitDealing in Perception & Probability
135 posts

Posted:
Written by: Neon Shaolin

It seems really sad that a kid who's sexuality is going through the delicate developing stages will bring home a form and see their parents prefer that their kid rather not be associated with the queers. Let alone 'become' one of them.

my point exactly. granted i would not have used the "q" word, but that's besides the point.

Kyian: i agree, and disagree with you. i agree that schools give parents to much control in high schools. and maybe a little in grade schools. but we are talking about high schools here, so let me stay on point.

i don't feel that parents have that right. none of the clubs that were active when i was in school, were there to teach hate, intolerance, or anything like that. now if there was a club like, then yes i could see parents steping up and saying no. but from what i can gather from google, and NYC's post, the group teaches tolearance and exceptance. two things we could use more of....

Legal and illegal are a point of view. All that matters is morality.

If there's a shadow in your life, then there is also sunshine. Perception is everything.

L0s3r_r@v3rSILVER Member
enthusiast
274 posts

Posted:
My school didn't have a GSA and when i came out in my senior year i had no where to turn but my few friends (wich actually grew when i came out O_o) i know it's off topic a bit but I think it is a great organization.. and i wish i coulda had one in my time of need.. now on topic a bit.. By a Homophobic parent getting the list they could restrict thier closeted gay son/daughter from getting the only help they have to offer thus resulting in.. well.. to put it simply. Bad stuffs.

You know what I'm thinking about right now? That's right, Tacos!

SethisBRONZE Member
Pooh-Bah
1,762 posts

Posted:
I'm confused as to why section 28 took 20 years to be repealed, myself.

Homosexuals and Heterosexuals talking together can only lead to seeing each others point of view even more. smile

Yay for understanding!

After much consideration, I find that the view is worth the asphyxiation.
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
I may disagree with what you have to say, but I will defend to the death your right to say it.

MikeGinnyGOLD Member
HOP Mad Doctor
13,925 posts

Posted:
Str8Jackit,

First, I want to say that it warms my heart to hear about straight people thinking about LGBTQ issues. You made me smile today.

We gay folk have a lot of obstacles to overcome. It's a very different rights movement than, say, the days of Martin Luther King, Jr. The reason for this is because homosexuality isn't 100% genetic. Probably over 99% of gay kids have straight parents. And you can't "see" gay.

We're an invisible minority and we're a small minority. That puts us at a disadvantage from a civil rights point of view. Every bit of help we can get means a lot to us.

As to what to do about this? Get people mad! Ask how parents would feel about a parent who refused to let their kid in a cultural club because of racist beliefs? Protest. Start a petition. It's all we can do right now.

-Mike

Certified Mad Doctor and HoP High Priest of Nutella

A buckuht n a hooze! -Valura

KyrianDreamer
4,308 posts

Posted:
And most gay parents seem to have straight kids as well.

[Although a friend of mine once speculated if that wasn't because they see how much crap their parents have to go through and then force any thought of possibly liking the other gender out of their heads, even if they secretly do!

(I hope not, on a couple levels, but I could see it in some cases!)]

Anyway, the point is its a bit of a problem, and I've noticed that some people still think gay is ok as a put-down... people who otherwise have no obvious homophobic tendancies and even have gay friends or relatives, but they seem to think of it as "just another meaning of the word, like happy." Drives me nuts, personally. Its still an assoctiation in your head... oy. /end rant

But yes, the point is children should be given more freedom in this respect, and parents should not be monitoring away their child's then-fragile self-esteems. (especially got to love the parents who say things like "its ok for other people to be gay, but not for you." umm right....

sorry, being sick makes me rant! I'll stop!

Keep your dream alive

Shalom VeAhavah

NYCNYC
9,232 posts

Posted:
Written by: Doc Lightning

Probably over 99% of gay kids have straight parents. And you can't "see" gay.

We're an invisible minority and we're a small minority.

What percent of folks do you suppose are gay? More than 1%, I'd assume? Why do you think having gay parents would make a child MORE likely to turn out straight and therefore having straight parents more likely to turn out gay?

Never thought being gay was one of those "I'm not gonna turn out my parents so and my parents are straight so I'll be gay" kind of things. wink

Well, shall we go?
Yes, let's go.
[They do not move.]

MikeGinnyGOLD Member
HOP Mad Doctor
13,925 posts

Posted:
Written by: NYC

What percent of folks do you suppose are gay? More than 1%, I'd assume? Why do you think having gay parents would make a child MORE likely to turn out straight and therefore having straight parents more likely to turn out gay?

I think that somewhere between 2-5% of the population is LGBTQ. My assertion that 99% of gay kids come from straight parents is because the proportion of LGBTQ people who actually reproduce is rather small. Probably less than 10%.

-Mike

KyrianDreamer
4,308 posts

Posted:
Written by: NYC

Never thought being gay was one of those "I'm not gonna turn out my parents so and my parents are straight so I'll be gay" kind of things. wink

I'd always heard that about 10% were G/L, with a larger percentage B/Q (I can't claim any knowledge to the gender differences). This doesn't seem unreasonable to me, but then, I was raised a bit strangely. However, Lightning's right, the percentage that reproduce is very small. And I really don't know many gay or lesbians with g/l children, in fact, none, to be honest... and have heard of about 1!

Keep your dream alive

Shalom VeAhavah

FireByNiteSILVER Member
Are you up for it??
349 posts

Posted:
Written by: Str8Jakit

I As the name suggests it's a group of gay and straight students coming together.

Haven't come across this myself but don't "gay & straight" students come together to hang out anyway? Some just seem to be more open about it than others.
There's no point in parents getting up in arms about this as everyone comes into contact with gay/straight people no matter which (gay or straight) they are.
I guess I just have the view point that gay/ straight, white or purple you're still a person, why not hang out & have fun? smile

Are you up for it?
wink;)

MikeGinnyGOLD Member
HOP Mad Doctor
13,925 posts

Posted:
Written by: Kyrian

I'd always heard that about 10% were G/L,

Yeah. I don't buy that. I'd get a lot more play if that were the case. wink

-Mike

L0s3r_r@v3rSILVER Member
enthusiast
274 posts

Posted:
Written by: FireByNite

Written by: Str8Jakit

I As the name suggests it's a group of gay and straight students coming together.

Haven't come across this myself but don't "gay & straight" students come together to hang out anyway? Some just seem to be more open about it than others.
There's no point in parents getting up in arms about this as everyone comes into contact with gay/straight people no matter which (gay or straight) they are.
I guess I just have the view point that gay/ straight, white or purple you're still a person, why not hang out & have fun? smile

That's not true at all, well in my case atleast. There where two gay students in my Highschool counting me. (well that people knew) and we never hung out. But i guess it was for the simple reasone that he was utterly totaly flamboyantly gay and i'm hardly flamboyant at all. And belonged to two different groups (ya know preppy goth blah blah blah)but then again I also never really went out with people in my highschool. all my friends were in like college so i said censored you highschoolers.

You know what I'm thinking about right now? That's right, Tacos!

OrangeBoboSILVER Member
veteran
1,389 posts

Posted:
I love my school's GSA. For our group, it's not *just* about LGBTQ issues. We do stuff for international Aids day, Making Poverty History, and just recently we've started fundraising to buy some goats for villages in Africa, and we are going to volunteer around the city (like doing a group walk with dogs and puppies from the local animal shelters, etc.)

In addition to that, we have seperate boys meetings and girls meetings, which are help by a staff member of the school to talk directly about coming out issues, dating issues, or sex issues with the students who have identified themselves as LGBTQ, and are willing to go to the meeting.

Thinking about my GSA at school amkes me feel all warm and fuzzy inside biggrin

However, going back to the initial topic... I don't think the school should promote the fact that parents can regulate the kinds of clubs their children go to. I do understand parents' worries about their child going and participating with a GSA, because I went through the same thing with my parents when I first became active with my GSA. (The awkward "I can see it in your eyes that you're wondering whether or not I'm a lesbian!" Eventually my father outright asked me! Awwwwwkward...) But the point of the club, is that both LGBTQ youth and straight youth are coming together for a common goal. It's not a club that will turn your child gay!!! We've had a situation previously in which an angry mother came to us, blaming the GSA and the friends that her daughter had met there, blaming us for "making" her daughter bi. That was quite aggrivating...

Also, as another side point, about 40% of homeless youth where I live, here in Canada, are homeless due to sexual-orientation problems and the frustrations of coming out to family. (Including youth who have been kicked out of their homes due to their sexual orientation). My GSA is working on another project regarding this topic, but I don't know much about it as of yet!

~ Bobo

wie weit, wie weit noch?
fragst mich, wo wir gewesen sind...
du fehlst hier