Page:
Thistleold hand
950 posts

Posted:
I met a twirler on Saturday night and I found out that he's had three different sign on names on HoP. I thought he was actually three different people. I am confused

Personally I don't understand why anyone would want to change their sign on name but maybe that's just because I'm happy with mine

I like how Mike Ginny, Dom and Ros changed their names by having one in brackets and having both names displayed for a while. This makes sure everything is clear and I know who you really are.

To all of you who've changed your sign on name I ask why have you done it and who did you used to be?

Are we nearly there yet?

IdubIHoP Lurker
272 posts

Posted:
A good point Thistle,

I've changed my name since I first signed up and yeah, not really very helpful.

I changed my name from sub to dub and now to too IdubI not as significant a change as some peoples. As far as my reasoning is concerned I felt that sub gave(/could give) off an impression of me that I hadn't intended it to do, wasn't thinking much when I created the account.

*Oh, just for a minute,* my bed said.
"Don't lie to me," I grumbled.
*But you're so tired...*

TheBovrilMonkeySILVER Member
Liquid Cow
2,629 posts

Posted:
A while ago I changed my name to Captain Underpants for a couple of days just because I wanted a bit of variety for a while.

I have considered changing it for longer than that, but I couldn't think of anything better that what it is now

But there's no sense crying over every mistake. You just keep on trying till you run out of cake.

dromepixieveteran
1,463 posts

Posted:
well some dont really have a grip on whom they would like to project to the universe.

By dividing your name in essence you divide yourself. It gives the person a safety net they can fall on as the name is not them but a character so for example if someone get upset at the name they can just say that its not them but the character. It also provides the individual with a nice little box that can hide the worst and best in them within the characters they create.

Not everyone here is open about who they are. I dont think its right and I dont think you should mislead people or yourself. Some people though need room to grow and room to fly and if this is one of the ways they come closer to that then so be it!

I was quite upset when I found out how many people actually have more than one log on. I only have this one and have been tempted to create another but temptation hardly gets the better of me (well depends what the situation is) and I thought it would be unjust to betray peoples trust in me kelly=dromepixe one in the same. How could I even think of s[ying and essentially telling the board a big lie. I couldnt face it.

I am not saying that everyone who does this is bad. I am just saying that it is not right if you are doing it with intentions of hiding who you are.

love and hugs
drome

JUGGLEwithyourmind!

Thistleold hand
950 posts

Posted:
dub, what kind of negative impression could be created by sub? Please explain When I see sub I think of subsonic bass and that gives me a pleasant tingly feeling all over

Lots of people assume I am Scottish and small because of the whole Thistlefirepixie thing. Even though in my sig I state I am neither. It was said to me the other day by someone I met from the board that they were expecting me to be small because they thought my sig was irony. Another person I was chatting to in messenger thought I was a man, which I am most definitely not Despite all these things Thistle I am and Thistle I will stay. I like continuity.

Bovril Monkey/Captain Underpants!!

Drome, I like the way you think. I too get freaked out by people with multiple log on identities(not name changers, I just get confused by that). The only reason I can see for creating multple identities is to fool people, some of whom are your friends, and this can prove to be quite hurtful. I know some multiple identities are created as joke characters but others seem a lot 'darker' and more sininster. I would be unlikely to persue friendship with anyone who has been proven to have multiple identities of the sinister variety as I would be too wary that they were in some way mentally unstable.

[ 21. December 2002, 13:07: Message edited by: Thistle ]

Are we nearly there yet?

KatBRONZE Member
Pooh-Bah
2,211 posts

Posted:
I would imagine that people have a second identity for creating a bit of confusion. The fun of having 2 identitys. Could be interesting to create a fab new name and see how people react to a new name, new identity as such!

Or maybe they just don't like their name and so change it

But I'm happy with my boring old username. Its short n I don't forget it. Also am too lazy to try and create a whole new me. Maybe some day when I am really bored I'll think up something fun and then let you all know it was me at the end of the day.

But essentially I agree with Drome Pixie
quote:
Not everyone here is open about who they are..I dont think you should mislead people or yourself.
If I call myself 10ft Amazon Fire Goddess and talk about how brilliant I am at 10 beat weaves, you sure as hell are going to be disappointed when you find out I've been making it all up

From the people I have met in person, they seem to be very true to the character they portray online. I think the true person shines through anyhow. Conficting advice, be yourselves but that does not stop you trying to be the kind of person you want to be
quote:
Act the way you'd like to be and soon you'll be the way you act
But as Drome Pixie said don't divide yourself. Would be nice to see people as a whole not different characters they try out on other HOPsters.

Come faeries, take me out of this dull world, for I would ride with you upon the wind and dance upon the mountains like a flame.

- W B Yeats

IdubIHoP Lurker
272 posts

Posted:
Thistle
I'll try and explain, however what you read will be me thinking about it whilst writing. Thanks for the interest

Let's start with dromepixies comment
quote:
well some dont really have a grip on whom they would like to project to the universe.
Well it's partially like that. I know what I want to project to people, me, but I'm not yet entirely sure of who I am or how to put me across to people via text.

So why did I feel that sub misrepresented me? Well in real life I'm Drew (not Andrew I might add, there is no 'An' on my birth certificate), always have been, always will be.

But online well it's different, for years I have been looking for a name that I felt was 'cool' and depending on what I have been doing at that time in my life my name has changed, so we go through 5 or so years of names changes, I've been many different names but none of them were entirely me, they were more facets of whole.

I discover fire spinning and the next day practice poi. So I hunt round google typing words like "fire", "stick", "staff", trying to find this website I'm sure someone had mentioned to me.

I eventually(2nd, 3rd website I try) find HoP and am impressed, I like the place so I sign up, perhaps a tad too quickly I didn't even own a set of poi at the time, still.

What name do I use, well I use one of the 7 that I had on a free online game which was the last site I posted at on a regular basis. I went through my list of names and chose "sub", the password to which was "marine".

However over time I kept going through all of the words that can follow sub and decided that I was coming up with too many of less positive ones, ..missive, ..standard, ..survient, whilst others I felt were not balancing this, ..liminal, ..sonic.

Around this time I aquired (briefly, don't hold with nicknames for myself) the nickname of dub (Drew Waldegrave -> dw - d dub -> dub)

So having decided that I no longer wanted an online name that "meant" or could mean something. I decided that I would prefer to have something without any meanings attached to it, at least no meanings to me.

Did that make any sense?

Now I'm gonna have to post this because my head is starting to hurt.

Soon to be released (in a condensed format) as the novel, "the birth and death of an internet handle"

*Oh, just for a minute,* my bed said.
"Don't lie to me," I grumbled.
*But you're so tired...*

psychoactivated neural rustmember
33 posts

Posted:
I think dromepixie and ldubl have got it right.

Some people don't know how to project themselves as they would like and maybe it takes them a while to sort this out.

Some people may be increadibly introvert or shy and feel they need to rrely on the anonymity that internet chatrooms afford. Of course this would perhaps mean thatthey feel they need to change their name anonymously in case others get too close.

Some people might just have got bored of the name they've been using and want a change.

Thistle, you could be considered by some to be very lucky that you're so confident about who you are. Not everyone's that fortunate. And yes, maybe some people have aome psychological problem that causes them to feel they must change thier name. I don't believe others should castigate those people for an unwanted illness though.

No left turn unstoned!

MikeGinnyGOLD Member
HOP Mad Doctor
13,925 posts

Posted:
I dunno. I just think MikeGinny is a hokey name, and I think that Lightning better personifies me to the Fire Community. Yeah, there are other names that I like, but Lightning is mine, so I'd been kicking myself for not having used it a long time ago.

So slowly but surely, I can make the change.

But no matter what my log-on is, you can always call me Mike.

-Mike

Certified Mad Doctor and HoP High Priest of Nutella

A buckuht n a hooze! -Valura

RoziSILVER Member
100 characters max...
2,996 posts

Posted:
Rozi is me, online and offline. People who meet me in both situations don't seem to have many troubles figuring out who I am because I decided to pretty much play it straight down the line.

But I can understand wanted to create another persona, and live out a braver/sexier/smarter version of yourself online. And a natural extension of that is to have a couple of versions.

I don't do it myself, cos it ain't my way. But I can understand that people have very different motivations in coming on here.

It was a day for screaming at inanimate objects.

What this calls for is a special mix of psychology and extreme violence...

Traveling Kyrimember
28 posts

Posted:
well, traveling kyri is here cause i can't figure out how to get into my account!!!!

heh.

i'll get it worked out when i'm back at home (where i'm permanetly logged in)

otherwise, i know some interesting stories behind various extra log-ins, but i have my own interesting story to tell.

this is not teh first place i used kyrian by a long shot, altho this is wher kyri came up as a shortening. but over time, i discovered i liked teh name kyri, and now i use it as an irl name, not just a irl nickname

yay

Situations defined as real are real in their consequences.

pkBRONZE Member
Lambretta Fanatic
4,997 posts

Posted:
erm so whats in a name?
my name has meaning to me, i changed mine at the same time nancy added to hers, as they are sign on names for yahoo where we first met.
as for the milking penguins the other week i was feeling very random at 3 am lol.
the change from vain-ego pk to poi'd and insane was needed huh i was just new to the board and that i thought was funny at the time but didnt suit this board one bit. but PK is my name so ets keep it that way but i like the dreadlocked rasclat bit cos of its meaning to me and nancy.

fluffy napalm fairyCarpal \'Tunnel
3,638 posts

Posted:
Thistle -

The change from Ros to Fluffy Napalm Fairy was after a very, very funny incident with Misstix (previously known as Stix) at my house (pretty stoned as far as I remember...) and it kinda stuck.

But did you know that I was Helium Dreamer before that? (I didn't post a lot in those days though so it may not ring any bells) But people kept assuming I was male. So I decided to just be me

Geologists do it in the dirt................ spank

NYCNYC
9,232 posts

Posted:
I don't particularly like my screen name. Mostly because I really don't represent New York City in very many ways. Plus, you can't really say it outloud.

Most of you know the history of my screen name. I found that I needed anonymity as a new chemistry teacher. It has honestly saved my butt a few times so far. I'm glad that my kids don't know that I spin because there are quite a few that already play with fire destructively and I'd hate to give them an excuse to continue. ("Well my teacher is playing with fire so clearly me lighting my cat on fire isn't that bad...") Only a few teenagers would actually be influenced in a bad way but that's a few too much...

The good thing is I think I've got the only screen name that I can easily buy emblasened on literally thousands of T-Shirts, Caps, Sweatshirts, Lighters, Shot Glasses, etc, etc, etc!

I think my online persona is still pretty consistant with who I am.

The only real difference I've found is that I write much differently than I talk. When I write, I cut to the chase and write sentences that are simple and straight forward. Sometimes this comes across as cocky I think. I avoid "Um... yeah... well..." while writing (most of the time) though I find that vocal cues, smiles, and intonation can obviously add everything to a conversation. Plus, when you write, you have no opportunity to observe how what you are saying is being recieved and therefore can't clarify it on the spot... which always creates room for misunderstanding.

Also, a comment like this would take a few seconds to say off the cuff rather than some longass post like this one.

Well, shall we go?
Yes, let's go.
[They do not move.]

Phuhzzzie Wuhzzzie the Pumpkin Kingmember
141 posts

Posted:
Personally I haven't really changed my HoP name since I got here, a few moons ago, I came to the world of HoP as Phuhzzzie Wuhzzzie and sort of give myself new titles as my mood sees fit, never taking myself too seriously so far I've been:

Phuhzzzie Wuhzzzie
Phuhzzzie Wuhzzzie the evil robot
Phuhzzzie Wuhzzzie the good robot
Phuhzzzie Wuhzzzie the cannibal

I'd like to take this time to appologise to anyone who thought I was an evil robot or a good robot or in fact a cannibal, I'm a regular human being, well I have all the right parts at in the right spots, so I guess that's close enough. Hmm time for a change in my title...

A wise man once said to me, Hey! You! Get out of my wardrobe! and in a way, I guess he was right.

Phuhzzzie Wuhzzzie the Pumpkin Kingmember
141 posts

Posted:
Like I said, time for a change in my title.

A wise man once said to me, Hey! You! Get out of my wardrobe! and in a way, I guess he was right.

Raymund Phule (Fireproof)Enter a "Title" here:
2,905 posts

Posted:
Ehh, I have changed my name twice now. Why you ask? Umm hehe cause I wanted to hehe. If I went by my real name it would really confuse people but I try to keep Raymund in there some how.

Some Jarhead last night: "this dumb a$$ thinks hes fireproof"

FireSpiritSILVER Member
Classic 90's Fire Dancer... Poi, Staff, Doubles, and Breathing
743 posts

Posted:
Hi Thisle,
I changed my name when I came back to the HOP, after a Long time. I use to be SkiChristian, but thats dorky and also just my E-mail address.
It wasn't untill I met a Shamen named Raven, that the name Fire Spirit was given to me. Then a few months later I was Back in HOP Posting, but under my new identity.
Im sorry if I have confused anyone.
See ya around.

~Fire Spirit

FIRE IS ALIVE!
IT LIVES AND BREATHS!
IT CONSUMES, AND DISTROYS!
BUT WE CONTROL IT,
AND DANCE WITH FIRE!!

SpiralOolering Man
729 posts

Posted:
Hey thistle, How are you?
I first started posting as sacred spiral, but changed it to just spiral..... it was kinda releveant at the time

.Morph.SILVER Member
addict
669 posts

Posted:
HoP is the first and pretty much only BB board I am part of. I don't have my own pc, a perk of being a helpdesk monkey.
I used to log on as Marlboro because I smoked em (3 wks since I stopped ) and they were on top of the pc when I signed up. I changed my name because I am currently making steps at changing areas of myself / life that I don't like (Marlboro's being the first one). 'Fire' represents my poi side of life, and 'Morph' because I am metamorphing into myself. Maybe I'll change again or keep the name, because I hate to think that I will ever be complete, what will I do then?

I am me online & offline and think that is the way people should be online, but I agree with Psychoactive about peoples reasoning and that they have that right.

[ 22. December 2002, 10:03: Message edited by: FireMorph ]

NYCNYC
9,232 posts

Posted:
Well this thread certainly answers quite a few questions! Cross off "Marlboro" and "SkiChristian" of the POW/MIA list...

As for multiple personalities, I think we've all got different aspects of our own personality that we project at times. I know I'm very different in my classroom than on a saturday night spinning fire. In fact a spinner called me at work on my cellphone and I had a free minute so I answered... I guess I freaked him out a bit because I don't sound the same when I'm in front of 25 kids as when I'm on the streets and such. But that's true for all teachers.

I never really thought about it until now but I guess I go by two different names in real life. Everyone over 18 calls me by my first name and talks to me in the evenings and weekends. Everyone under 18 in my life calls me by my last and talks to me from 8-3 every school day.

I think that's different than posting in the same place under different names. Somehow it seems deceitful to do it without telling others but I'm not sure why. I assume that every different name is a different person. Maybe you're all just Malcolm.

I seem to have many different worlds that don't overlap much... but that's for another thread.

Well, shall we go?
Yes, let's go.
[They do not move.]

.Morph.SILVER Member
addict
669 posts

Posted:
quote:
Originally posted by NYC:
[QB]Maybe you're all just Malcolm. QB]

flidBRONZE Member
Carpal \'Tunnel
3,136 posts

Posted:
I could do with changing my name. I didn't expect I would make more than one post here when I registered, so I just chose the first thing which came to my mind.

When you're a programmer and have to write long programs with hundreds of uniquely named variables your mind gets a bit warped, especially when things arn't working as you'd want, so you become well practiced in choosing insulting names for things. So, flid was the first thing that came to my mind on that occassion that wasn't too obscene

I gues it suits me well, I don't take life seriously enough to choose a name that sounds "cool" or "trendy". I won't say the full domain name that I registered for my homepage (this is meant to be a PG board), but the word pretentious does appear in it

dromepixieveteran
1,463 posts

Posted:
Just to bring this slightly back on topic... I dont think Thistle was having a bitch about people changing their names. Although the name of the thread implies that that is what its about I believe that its more about people having more than on e log on and not showing that to the board. I could give examples but dont want to hurt others.

much love,
drome

JUGGLEwithyourmind!

Thistleold hand
950 posts

Posted:
This has certainly cleared a few puzzles up for me. Thanks everyone

I am not saying people don't have the right to change their name should they desire to. I am not saying people shouldn't have as many HoP identities as they choose and use them simultaniously. After all I have no right to do that. But the people who use these multiple log ons maliciously I would choose not to invite them into my close personal circle. Not because I castigate them for any psychological disorder but rather because I would protect myself and my own from any possible harm as is my right.

|dub| thanks for taking the time to explain your reasons to a nosey firepixie . It does make sense to me and I totally understand your need for change.

Drome. Yes I wasn't having a bitch about anyone changing their name. I was just wondering who is who to satisfy my own curiosity simply because I wanted to know. However, the subject of multiple log ons came up, which is a similar subject, and I added my 2pence worth about that too.

FireSpirit Hey now I remember you from ages ago. Pleased to amke your aquaintence once again

Are we nearly there yet?

LuNcHbOx...(Aka. Nathan)-un-singlemember
536 posts

Posted:
hey...
my first name here was "Shinova:The fire demon"....
then it was "lunchbox"....
then i decided to change it to "mr.Box"...
cuz it sounded more elegant and formal....

-LuNcHbOx, Aka. Nathan...Give a man to fish, and that man knows where to come for more fish...Teach a man to fish and you have just destroyed your market base...

NYCNYC
9,232 posts

Posted:
Well said Thistle.

Well, shall we go?
Yes, let's go.
[They do not move.]

Thistleold hand
950 posts

Posted:
NYC Thanks. Respect!

Spiral I'm ok thanks and how are you? I'll continue this personal business by email.

Are we nearly there yet?

dromepixieveteran
1,463 posts

Posted:
Respect to Thistle! Good explanation!

You are marvelous and I will be meeting you soon love. Take care and be good!

If you can't be good then just be careful.
If you can't be careful then just don't get caught!

hope all is well
drome

JUGGLEwithyourmind!

Thistleold hand
950 posts

Posted:
At Drome. It's always nice when people understand your motives.

Mr Lunch I thought you were three different people, I'm glad I know who you are now

Are we nearly there yet?

Soleilmember
41 posts

Posted:
I changed my name several weeks ago but wont post under the other name again since i feel it didnt represent me at all. I used the SN to vent a few times when it really wasnt necessary. The final straw was when I made a mistake regarding a post that a friend's friend read and got upset by. I coudlnt make her understand so decided I wont get caught again and would accept anomoity. I accept my mistakes and want to start afresh. Anyone who wants to know who I was pm me, if you want to know who i really am; then read posts labelled Soleil. Because that is who I am, not the other SN.

Complex? I thought so!

love sol xx

HEEEEEEEEED!!

Page: