Forums > Social Discussion > South Dakota outlaws abortion

Login/Join to Participate
Page: ...
jeff(fake)Scientist of Fortune
1,189 posts

Posted:
BBC news story.
If you're in South Dakota abortians are now all but outlawed.

It's very sad that in this day and age the religious right has made this much head way. The anti-choice groups are trying to provoke a supreme court chalenge, aimed at over turning the Roe vs. Wade ruling which made abortians legal in the first place for Americans. If they succeed then abortions will once again be illegal across all of the united states (correct me if I've got my US legal code wrong).

Quite frankly this is a moral disaster. The rights of women to control their own bodies took a long time to win. It had to be fought for at every stage and now it looks like it's going to be eroded away again. I'm thankful that nothing like this could ever happen in Britain but it's still disheartening to see America heading back to the dark ages. frown

According to Heisenberg's Uncertainty Principle of Quantum Dynamics, we may already be making love right now...

jo_rhymesSILVER Member
Momma Bear
4,525 posts

Posted:
Do you really know the facts of abortion? I think if you did, you really would not "big it up". In fact, what you've said has made me feel quite, quite sad.

20 days after conception the brain has already differentiated into forebrain, midbrain and hindbrain and the spinal cord has started to grow.

4 weeks after conception, pain receptors appear around the mouth. From 6 weeks old, the unborn baby's cortex begins to develop and is fully developed by 18 weeks. The cortex is the centre of pain consciousness.

at 20 weeks, the unborn child has fully functioning pain receptors, spinal cord, nerve tracts, thalamus and cortex. All the anatomical structures needed for transmission of pain.

An unborn child that is aborted will suffer tremendous pain.

D&E abortions which can be as late as 24 weeks involve dismembering an unborn child with sharp metal forceps. Instillation methods of abortion involve the replacement of up to one cup of amniotic fluid with a concentrated salt solution, which the unborn child inhales and it burns his/her skin. The child lives in this condition for up to an hour. In neither of those cases are the unborn children anaesthetised.
EDITED_BY: jo_rhymes (1142274995)

Hoppers are angels who lift us to our feet when our wings have trouble remembering how to fly.

SethisBRONZE Member
Pooh-Bah
1,762 posts

Posted:
I think you're missing the point.

afghan_bingo doesn't care much as to what state the child is in when it's in the womb. s/he cares about the quality of it's life, which IMO is a more sensible option. Are you going to quibble about a few days of development when the next 20 years of it's life are going to suck? Not only it's life, but the mother's as well?

After much consideration, I find that the view is worth the asphyxiation.
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
I may disagree with what you have to say, but I will defend to the death your right to say it.

1,189 posts

Posted:
And as I have repeatedly said, abortion needs to be carried out as early as possible.

All these ridiculous hoops that pregnant women have to jump through increases the time that it takes to get an abortion so the foetus becomes more and more formed.

I don't 'big up abortion' either, it is a procedure that in a perfect world wouldn't need to exist. But this isn't a perfect world and we do need to have abortions available when they are neccassary.

According to Heisenberg's Uncertainty Principle of Quantum Dynamics, we may already be making love right now...

afghan_bingoSILVER Member
116 posts

Posted:
yes i do know about the facts of abortion, i would not express my opinon if i didnt know the facts. i know that some of the procedures may seem macabre, but you come up with a better way of extracting a foetus, you try and anaesthetise it. when it comes down to it i believe these methods are necessary for the well being of the mother and if that means to euthanase a baby, then so be it. physical pain is fleeting, emotional pain can last forever.
would you rather lose an unborn foetus, which in my view doesnt have a life until its born, or destroy two lives by letting it be born. the mothers and the babys.

up until the 1600's (UK, i believe) it was legal to kill your own kids. ergo, if you bring 'em into this world, you can damn well take 'em out of it!

we were somewhere near barstow, on the edge of the desert, when the drugs began to take hold...

jo_rhymesSILVER Member
Momma Bear
4,525 posts

Posted:
 Written by: afghan_bingo

an unborn foetus, which in my view doesnt have a life until its born,

this is rubbish. At week 20, the ears are fully functioning and the child can distinguish his/her mother's voice. If it is born at week 24, there is a high chance the baby will survive in an intenisive care incubator.

of course i dont think that people should keep all unwanted pregnancies. I agree with Jeff, if you do need an abortion, please carry it out withing the first couple of weeks, before the baby has chance to develop.
What would be a miracle, is if people actually used contraception, thought about sex, and took the morning after pill if anything went wrong.

Hoppers are angels who lift us to our feet when our wings have trouble remembering how to fly.

pounceSILVER Member
All the neurotic makings of America's lesser known sweetheart
9,831 posts

Posted:
 Written by: jo_rhymes

Written by: afghan_bingo

an unborn foetus, which in my view doesnt have a life until its born,

this is rubbish.

i've highlighted the key point there. it's afghan's opinion as to when life begins. you can't call that rubbish. that's the whole crux of the argument behind whether or not to legalize abortion....when does life begin? last i checked, no one came to a consensus on this. to some people, human organs, even if they are functioning, doesn't constitute "life." honestly, if i were to use your argument, then i could say those weird tumor thingys that have eyes, teeth, hair, etc., are human and have "life" and therefore we shouldn't get rid of them.

I was always scared with my mother's obsession with the good scissors. It made me wonder if there were evil scissors lurking in the house somewhere.

Do not meddle in the affairs of dragons for you are crunchy and good with ketchup.

**giggles**

jo_rhymesSILVER Member
Momma Bear
4,525 posts

Posted:
It is rubbish, I've pointed out when the foetus develops brain, heart, etc. It's ALIVE.
Not wanting to sound like Jeff here, but his opinion that baby's arent alive til they're out of the womb is rubbish.

1,189 posts

Posted:

It is rubbish, I've pointed out when the foetus develops brain, heart, etc. It's ALIVE.

Not wanting to sound like Jeff here, but his opinion that baby's arent alive til they're out of the womb is rubbish.

Technically she's right, it is alive.

The point of the opposing arguement is where it should be regarded as a human being.

I've already said that I suspect that there is a gradient and no single point at which the foetus should suddenly be regarded as a human being. Our legal ruling on the subject are rather arbitrary as they are neccassarily absolutes, in Britain the usual limit is around 24 weeks by which time the foetus is quite advanced and bordering on viability if given intensive medical treatment.

I think that education is vital in order to ensure that it doesn't take that long for a woman to descide wheather or not to get an abortion. I suspect that the guilt tactics of the pro-life groups are delaying many womens descisions resulting in terminations at a later stage.
EDITED_BY: jeff(fake) (1142530140)

Patriarch917SILVER Member
I make my own people.
607 posts

Posted:
It is certainly a human life, jeff.

It is not from another species. It is not a dog or a cat, it's a human.
It is certainly alive, since otherwise we would not have to kill it.
It is not a parasite, since it is of the same species as it's mother.
It is not comparable to a tumor, since it is our offspring.
It is not a part of the mother's body, since it is genetically unique from her.

A fetus is undoubtably a young living human child. The argument is not over whether it is human, whether it is alive, or whether it is a seperate person. These things are objective facts.

The question is whether it is morally wrong to kill it. Some people draw the line at killing any living human child. Some draw the line at a certain age.

Education is vital to dispell the myth that a fetus is somehow not a human life. It is a human life, it's just not one that everyone agrees deserves to stay alive.

faith enfireBRONZE Member
wandering thru the woods of WI
3,556 posts

Posted:
what are the seven or so scientific "tests" it's more of a checklist, to determine if something has life...

potential to grow
carbon
-
-
-
-
-
-
-

Faith
Nay, whatever comes one hour was sunlit and the most high gods may not make boast of any better thing than to have watched that hour as it passed

jo_rhymesSILVER Member
Momma Bear
4,525 posts

Posted:
Are you thinking of: Movement, Respiration, Sensitivity, Growth, Reproduction, Excretion and Feeding?

fNiGOLD Member
master of disaster
3,354 posts

Posted:
 Written by: Patriarch917

The argument is not over whether it is human, whether it is alive, or whether it is a seperate person. These things are objective facts.

The question is whether it is morally wrong to kill it. Some people draw the line at killing any living human child. Some draw the line at a certain age.

Just speaking to these threepoints:

Its not part of the mother's body? umm

What are objective facts?

Isn't it the question of whether the being is sentient/concious or not?

and @ faithinfire: there is nothing that states that life must be carbon based. Ours is, but couldn't it be different somewhere else?

kyrian: I've felt your finger connect with me many times
lou kitten: sneaky little meatball..
ezz: please corrupt me more

spiralxveteran
1,376 posts

Posted:
 Written by: Patriarch

It is certainly a human life, jeff.

It is not from another species. It is not a dog or a cat, it's a human.

It is certainly alive, since otherwise we would not have to kill it.

It is not a parasite, since it is of the same species as it's mother.

It is not comparable to a tumor, since it is our offspring.

A fetus is undoubtably a young living human child. The argument is not over whether it is human, whether it is alive, or whether it is a seperate person. These things are objective facts.

Education is vital to dispell the myth that a fetus is somehow not a human life. It is a human life, it's just not one that everyone agrees deserves to stay alive.

Once again, opinion stated as fact. If I thought you were serious about rational debate, I'd recommend taking a debating class rolleyes
EDITED_BY: spiralx (1142468389)

"Moo," said the happy cow.

onewheeldaveGOLD Member
Carpal \'Tunnel
3,252 posts

Posted:
I think Patriarchs making a good point- a human fetus is obviously both human and alive; the rightness of abortion rests on whether it's OK to kill a human fetus, not on avoiding the issue by claiming that it's not human, or not alive.

On the issue of vegetarianism I've often put forward the opinion that the true facts of meat production should be available to school children in their lessons- my feelings are that many of them would cease to eat meat if this were the case, and, if they continued to be happy to eat meat, then so be it, at least they knew the full facts and made a choice on the basis of them.

I don't think that most people are actually aware of what an abortion actually involves- I certainly didn't prior to reading this thread and going off to do some research.

Prior to that I assumed that most of those who protested against abortion where religious fundamentalist nutters- I really couldn't see what their problem was.

Having seen what happens in abortions, I'm not going to say abortion is wrong, but I can now see why some protesters would find it repugnant (and not for religious reasons).

And I still feel that, on the other side, the pain and distress caused both to the mother, and the unwanted child, do make a compelling case for abortion, i'm just more inclined to say it's justifed in some circumstances and that, in others, it's problematic.

If abortion is considered OK, then maybe it would be a good idea foir the reality of it taught in our education system, at an early age- the full facts of what it takes to eliminate a developed fetus from the human body.

"You can't outrun Death forever.
But you can make the Bastard work for it."

--MAJOR KORGO KORGAR,
"Last of The Lancers"
AFC 32

Educate your self in the Hazards of Fire Breathing STAY SAFE!

1,189 posts

Posted:
I didn't say the foetus wasn't a human life,

I said it wan't a human being.

Please read the post before throwing up a strawman. rolleyes

My school taught the children about abortion and everything involved. I think that all schools should do the same.

jo_rhymesSILVER Member
Momma Bear
4,525 posts

Posted:
 Written by: fireNice

Written by: Patriarch917

Just speaking to these threepoints:

Its not part of the mother's body? umm

What are objective facts?

Of course it's not part of the mother's body. It's 50% mother and 50% father. rolleyes

Patriarch917SILVER Member
I make my own people.
607 posts

Posted:
 Written by: jeff(fake)

I didn't say the foetus wasn't a human life,

I said it wan't a human being.

Please read the post before throwing up a strawman. rolleyes

Written by: jeff(fake)

The point of the opposing arguement is where it should be regarded as a human life.

I've already said that I suspect that there is a gradient and no single point at which the foetus should suddenly be regarded as a human being

You used both jeff, even if it was on accident. Please read your own post before accusing people of throwing up straw men. smile

1,189 posts

Posted:
It was quite obvious what the spirit of my arguement was.

I made a typo and wrote life instead of being, but in the rest of the post I made it very clear what I meant. Jumping on a single word and making up a strawman out of it when it is not a way to advance an arguement.

I've change my original post to what I intended, leaving the subsequent reply baseless.

3,556 posts

Posted:

Are you thinking of: Movement, Respiration, Sensitivity, Growth, Reproduction, Excretion and Feeding?

I had these, they are similar
Carbon
Has wall or membrane
Capable of homeostasis
Needs water
Gets energy from environment
Metabolic processes
Growth
Adaptation to environment
Just my curiousity is all

Anyways are we arguing about it’s conciousness, ability to feel pain?
We couldn’t be arguing it’s validity to become a person. It hasn’t had a chance yet. There are people out there who have had a chance and they make the world worse. Lack of experience should not be held against the unborn. Who their parents are shouldn’t be a factor either.
Quality of life should be considered for the mother and the child
Quality of environment is adaptable and shouldn’t be a factor
Stop spending so much money on abortion clinics and more on adoptions ones. The surrogate things was an interesting suggestion if it was viable ( I don’t know if it is or not)
In life there is no such thing as a coincidence, a pregnancy doesn’t just happen, the soul was brought here for some reason yet to be seen

Faith
Nay, whatever comes one hour was sunlit and the most high gods may not make boast of any better thing than to have watched that hour as it passed

spiralxveteran
1,376 posts

Posted:
In life there's plenty of coincidence.

3,556 posts

Posted:
i can't believe that

Faith

pounceSILVER Member
9,831 posts

Posted:
spending more money on adoption clinics isn't going to change anything. there are far too many couples who refuse to have a child that is "not their own [biologically]." sad but true. plus everyone wants white healthy babies, again sad but true. if a child is born with a defect, addicted to drugs, with AIDS, biracial, any race other than caucasion....their chances of getting adopted decrease exponentially. and then we just end up with children in the foster care system, which sucks, and most of the time they get screwed up, live on the streets, get pregnant early, and then the cycle repeats. (i'm not even arguing the whole forcing a woman to have her body go through things she doesn't want it to). it's a nice idea in theory, but just not realistic.

and just cause you can't believe there are coincidences doesn't mean there aren't any

I was always scared with my mother's obsession with the good scissors. It made me wonder if there were evil scissors lurking in the house somewhere.

Do not meddle in the affairs of dragons for you are crunchy and good with ketchup.

**giggles**

3,556 posts

Posted:
no it just means that coincidences don't exist in my reality...
truly believe there are reasons even if i don't understand
doesn't mean you have to believe it

Faith

pounceSILVER Member
9,831 posts

Posted:
i'm not arguing that they aren't part of your reality. i accept that. i was just saying in general our belief systems aren't "fact." that goes for mine, yours, everyone who has posted in this thread. just because we don't believe in something doesn't mean it doesn't exist.

**giggles**

3,556 posts

Posted:
do you mind posting that in the ID V Evo forum

Faith

pounceSILVER Member
9,831 posts

Posted:
feel free to post it yourself. i haven't ventured into that thread and don't plan to. too many debates makes pouncey's head hurt ubblol

**giggles**

fNiGOLD Member
master of disaster
3,354 posts

Posted:
ubblol

i made that mistake, now my head huts smile

kyrian: I've felt your finger connect with me many times
lou kitten: sneaky little meatball..
ezz: please corrupt me more

Tao StarPooh-Bah
1,662 posts

Posted:
along similar lines...what about the woman who's just been denied the right to continue with ivf because she and her partner broke up.

https://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/health/2250799.stm

his line was the he withdrew consent because they split up and he will be legally the father and therefore responsable for them, which seems fair enough to me.

the point i want opinions on is this...i just can't decide what i think about it. Natalie Evans said in one interview that she was being discriminated against as an unfertile woman, beause if she had been able to concieve naturally then she couldn't have been forced to abort the pregnancy just because they had split up.

do you think that they should be able to kill the foetuses because they physically cancan? or do you think that once ivf is started it should be treated as a pregnacy, and that neither party should be allowed to withdraw consent?

on the other hand, are they at least stopping another unwanted baby coming in to the world, but is it morally right to continue with IVF against the future father's wished....without his consent? what do you think?

I had a dream that my friend had a
strong-bad pop up book,
it was the book of my dreams.

spiralxveteran
1,376 posts

Posted:
 Written by: faithinfire

i can't believe that

And therein lies the difference between us wink

spiralxveteran
1,376 posts

Posted:
 Written by: Tao Star

on the other hand, are they at least stopping another unwanted baby coming in to the world, but is it morally right to continue with IVF against the future father's wished....without his consent? what do you think?

It is a tricky one, but I think the right decision was made. Having a baby is a monumental decision; I think it should always be done with the consent of both sides. It's true that is she could conceive naturally she would be able to have the baby... but I don't really think that's great.

Plus when you take into account that the father can almost certainly be hit by the CSA for child support whether he wanted the baby or not (and it's not an accident) leads me to think this is the right choice.

Page: ...