Forums > Social Discussion > Does being silly make you an idiot?

Login/Join to Participate
Page:
jo_rhymesSILVER Member
Momma Bear
4,525 posts

Posted:
hello poi boys and girls.
Those of you that know me will know that i am very very silly. I am known for my weirdness and silliness, and frankly, that's the only angle i have on life!
However, it bugs me that some peeps think that because you're silly you must therefore not have any brain cells, and must be naive and thick as a pile of mollydog's poo.
I've found that people are genuinely surprised when they discover i'm not just some brainless moron who cracks jokes all the time!
Anyone else have this prob? Can you really be seen as silly and intelligent at the same time?
Do I have to get a phD for people to take me seriously? Gah! but more importantly, do i really even give a banana what people think of jojo the great anyway?!

Hoppers are angels who lift us to our feet when our wings have trouble remembering how to fly.

KyrianDreamer
4,308 posts

Posted:
Incidentally, some people are silly and taken seriously. But they tend to be male. It depends in part on the type of silliness, I reckon, but beyond that, I suspect attractive women will get taken less seriously when all other factors are the same, and thats only going to get worse with sillyness/bubbliness.

So, well, some parts of society still suck tongue But you can prove them all wrong, you're an educational product!

Incidentally my friends and I have been wondering lately if comedy is genetic. No, really! tongue

Keep your dream alive
Dreamin is still how the strong survive

Shalom VeAhavah

New Hampshire has a point....

daizeSILVER Member
175 posts

Posted:
I've always been very silly and childlike, and people have always interpreted me as either naive or short of a few.

Silliness is the way to live, though the ability to take things seriously when absolutely necessary is vital. It's all about taking things with a pinch of salt, and light heartedness.

_Aime_SILVER Member
Carpal \'Tunnel
4,172 posts

Posted:
I'm silly, and an idiot shrug

ubblol

NOnactivist for HoPper liberation.
1,643 posts

Posted:
don't you think the word silly sounds really really silly, the more your repeat it...? i mean as a concept, what is silliness??? does it have a scale, what's it even in comparison to?? what IS un-silly??? and flippin' heck who even came up with the word, how silly were they?!?!? oh dude, it's driving me nuts (like in the dairy milk fruit and nut advert, just to give it some context, does silliness have a context, oh NO!!.....), it makes no sense!!!! silliness is merely a conceptual aspect of the postmodern universe, it is all an illusion, we are just atoms floating on a plane of existence...................... doo doo doo doo doo doo (N.B. that is the X-Files theme interpreted in the medium of doo.)

Silliness, and weirdness annoy the hell out of me, cos unless someone can tell me they are "normal", truly believe it and define "normal", showing me conclusive evidence that at least 90% of the world's population are identical to them in "normalness", then i remain unconvinced that there is such a thing....... there is no substantial evidence to define it.

i am prepare to accept "normal" in statistical graphs, for the purposes of finding a statistical average... but seeing as they have not developed a scale of silliness, that enables one to draw a graph of this particualr data; and include the normal line, in said graph, then it cannot be proven. Besides, what IS the other side of normal?? how can you be undersilly?....... unless you're dead......

i think i'm now entering deep uncharted philosophical realms, so now is a good time to jack it all in and leave the bestseller off the shelf..... umm

Aurinko freedom agreement reached 10th Sept 2006

if it makes no sense that's because it's NOn-sense.

EeraBRONZE Member
old hand
1,107 posts

Posted:
Silliness makes you smile.
Idiocy is dangerous:

Painting your backside blue and singing the French national anthem is silly.
Taking chances with another's wellbeing is idiocy.

It's truely horrid when someone else tries to keep you contained because your perception of the world is different, so Yay! for silly, Boo! for idiocy.

There is a slight possibility that I am not actually right all of the time.

jo_rhymesSILVER Member
Momma Bear
4,525 posts

Posted:
I think this dog looks silly.

Non-Https Image Link

Hoppers are angels who lift us to our feet when our wings have trouble remembering how to fly.

jeff(fake)Scientist of Fortune
1,189 posts

Posted:
But is it an idiot? ubblol

According to Heisenberg's Uncertainty Principle of Quantum Dynamics, we may already be making love right now...

FireTomStargazer
6,650 posts

Posted:
... I think it looks funny... at least it gave me chuckles ubblol

silly = funny?
funny = silly?

confused

the best smiles are the ones you lead to wink

jo_rhymesSILVER Member
Momma Bear
4,525 posts

Posted:
Jeff, no, it's a pug. Pugs are quite intelligent. In 1967 Pugsley McPug, a pedigree show Pug invented the microwavable pug cosy.

=Flashpoint=SILVER Member
Pasta of Muppets
2,722 posts

Posted:
Im silly. My boss hates me for going up to them and singing their name to get their attention. I'm on disciplinary for it. My friend who is travelling in Nostralia told me to tell them to eat sh!t. Should this be qualified as "silly" or "stupid"? wink

Mind you I work in an office where 60 % of the people have no sense of humour. It was surgically removed before they could get a promotion.

ohmygodlaserbeamspewpewpew!
ubbrollsmileubbrollsmileubbrollsmileubbrollsmile

=Flashpoint=SILVER Member
Pasta of Muppets
2,722 posts

Posted:
Im silly. My boss hates me for going up to them and singing their name to get their attention. I'm on disciplinary for it. My friend who is travelling in Nostralia told me to tell them to eat sh!t. Should this be qualified as "silly" or "stupid"? wink

Mind you I work in an office where 60 % of the people have no sense of humour. It was surgically removed before they could get a promotion.

ohmygodlaserbeamspewpewpew!
ubbrollsmileubbrollsmileubbrollsmileubbrollsmile

Suibomaddict
577 posts

Posted:
Written by:

My boss hates me for going up to them and singing their name to get their attention. I'm on disciplinary for it.

That's freakin excellent ubblol ubbrollsmile ubblol kudos to you!

Definition of poi- A Hawaiian food made from the tuber of the taro that is cooked, pounded to a paste, and fermented.

Ahnold discussing poi - "It is naht a toober!"

LostSurferSILVER Member
I'd be in trouble if I had to eat an antelope now
278 posts

Posted:
I get told I'm silly quite often, but I've come to embrace it now, especially as I live somewhere called "Scilly"! ubblol

"Everything in moderation. Even moderation itself. From this it follows that you must, from time to time, have excess. And this is going to be one of those occasions"

jo_rhymesSILVER Member
Momma Bear
4,525 posts

Posted:
Jimbo Jumbo, you are silly. Very silly!

L0s3r_r@v3rSILVER Member
enthusiast
274 posts

Posted:
lol I make all the crude sexual jokes at work.. (resturante) and not just the sexual ones but the really stupid ones no one understands cuz they have no intellegence. (hence them working ina kitchen)

You know what I'm thinking about right now? That's right, Tacos!

Neon_ShaolinGOLD Member
hehe, 'Member' huhuh
6,120 posts

Posted:
My view on this is that intelligent people often act silly as they don't feel the need to wear their intellgence on their sleeves unlike pretentious Dostoevsky-quoting snobs. (Not that there's anything wrong with Dostoevsky, but constantly namedropping either respected or obscure literary geniuses just smacks of desperation to be taken seriously, unless you're in a book group, in which case that's your passion and fair play to you).

But if you think of a person as a computer, intelligence is really the strength of the processor as opposed to what's on the hard drive.

I have a friend (well, an acquaintance) at work who although I used to get on really well with when talking about books, art and films really started to grate on me when I saw that he treated people who wasn't as knowledgeable about photoshop or the fine works of Spike Milligan with disdain and utter contempt. He really did take himself far too seriously and now I avoid all conversation with him if I could help it.

So just relax and and embrace your inner idiot...

"I used to want to change the world, now I just wanna leave the room with a little dignity..." - Lotus Weinstock

NOnactivist for HoPper liberation.
1,643 posts

Posted:
Written by: Neon Shaolin

But if you think of a person as a computer, intelligence is really the strength of the processor as opposed to what's on the hard drive.

ubblol nice biggrin

Aurinko freedom agreement reached 10th Sept 2006

if it makes no sense that's because it's NOn-sense.

SymBRONZE Member
Geek-enviro-hippy priest
1,858 posts

Posted:
I think it was Dostoevsky who once said:

Talking nonsense is man's only privilege that distinguishes him from all other organisms.

ubbloco ubblol nana

There's too many home fires burning and not enough trees

bellsspinningmember
79 posts

Posted:
i am very similar to every one that has posted i am still younge and full of life but i cant see things changing ever i am very bubbly and have a "different" sense of humour and most people dont get it until they know me . ive been told i sometimes come across very intimidating but i think that just because theres just not enough people out tehre like all of us.i dont exactly have the highest IQ but i know my stuff and i am pretty good at having serious talks.i also agree that serious people arnt necassary the smartest either but in saying that i have come across some people that are bubbly and not the smartest people as the old saying goes dont judge a book by its cover i think way to many people are judgmentle all based on someones apperence or personality ubbloco

look inside yourself for YOUR answers

jo_rhymesSILVER Member
Momma Bear
4,525 posts

Posted:
I think it's fair to say the people judging us are the idiots :P

bellsspinningmember
79 posts

Posted:
yeah well summerised lol

look inside yourself for YOUR answers

Page: