Forums > Social Discussion > Does being silly make you an idiot?

Login/Join to Participate
Page:
jo_rhymesSILVER Member
Momma Bear
4,525 posts

Posted:
hello poi boys and girls.
Those of you that know me will know that i am very very silly. I am known for my weirdness and silliness, and frankly, that's the only angle i have on life!
However, it bugs me that some peeps think that because you're silly you must therefore not have any brain cells, and must be naive and thick as a pile of mollydog's poo.
I've found that people are genuinely surprised when they discover i'm not just some brainless moron who cracks jokes all the time!
Anyone else have this prob? Can you really be seen as silly and intelligent at the same time?
Do I have to get a phD for people to take me seriously? Gah! but more importantly, do i really even give a banana what people think of jojo the great anyway?!

Hoppers are angels who lift us to our feet when our wings have trouble remembering how to fly.

LazyAngelGOLD Member
Carpal \'Tunnel
2,895 posts

Posted:
Silliness helps the world go round. It also keeps the good vibes going when people get all grrr and angry!

Yay for silliness!:)

Because ActiveAngel sounds like a feminine deodorant

Like sex, I'm much more interesting in real life than online.

'Be the change you want to see in the world around you' - Ghandi

L0s3r_r@v3rSILVER Member
enthusiast
274 posts

Posted:
people think i'm an idiot.. but it dosne't help that i call myself stupid and retarted all the time. and yeah likeyou i'm silly ALL the time

You know what I'm thinking about right now? That's right, Tacos!

Suibomaddict
577 posts

Posted:
ubblove I cherish those that can embrace silliness!!
Couple that with intelligence and you have a person worth knowing. All the zombies that have lost neverland just ain't worth the time!

Congrats to you jo, I don't know you but you have earned a bit of respect from me smile.

Definition of poi- A Hawaiian food made from the tuber of the taro that is cooked, pounded to a paste, and fermented.

Ahnold discussing poi - "It is naht a toober!"

EeraBRONZE Member
old hand
1,107 posts

Posted:
Other people want to live in a grey world. So what if yours is glorious technicolour. Your life, live it your way.

I recently got engaged to a bloke who asked me out because of my seriously stupid hat. Goes to show that there are many like you around, never fear, for someday we will rise and bash the others with a kipper.

There is a slight possibility that I am not actually right all of the time.

jo_rhymesSILVER Member
Momma Bear
4,525 posts

Posted:
aww Congratulations and celebrations eera! hug
"great hat, marry me?" hehe
thanks for the feedback. You're right guys, I'd much rather be me and live in my head full of magic and adventure than anyone else's.

Hoppers are angels who lift us to our feet when our wings have trouble remembering how to fly.

L0s3r_r@v3rSILVER Member
enthusiast
274 posts

Posted:
bwah! i bet if me and you put our minds togeather it'd be the more magical than disny land AND.. uhh.. and.. uhh.. umm.. hmm.. A CARE BEARS EPISODE PUT TOGEATHER! ubbloco ubbloco biggrin hug

FireTomStargazer
6,650 posts

Posted:
B yourself! And the rest will follow!

hug YAY! for all the silly people in the world (as long as they are harmless)... I wish I could be more silly... frown

the best smiles are the ones you lead to wink

KaelGotRiceGOLD Member
Basu gasu bakuhatsu - because sometimes buses explode
1,584 posts

Posted:
Hey Jo,

I loved you before but now I really <3<3<3 you hug

All I got to say is, 'Douglas Adams.'

It takes a lot of intelligence and brain power to be happy and funny and silly all the time.

And what better use for your intelligence than making people smile/happy?

ubbloco

I never did trust anyone who was "normal" anyway.

To do: More Firedrums 08 video?

Wildfire/US East coast fire footage

LA/EDC glow/fire footage

Fresno fire

L0s3r_r@v3rSILVER Member
enthusiast
274 posts

Posted:
But the people who are.. umm shall we say "stable minded" all the time is what keeps the world goin

KaelGotRiceGOLD Member
Basu gasu bakuhatsu - because sometimes buses explode
1,584 posts

Posted:
Oh ,the world would go on without stable people wink

Perhaps not well, but what is the point of progress if everyone is still miserable?

EDIT- You know, for those of us who are as old as the universe itself, and yet realize the essence of life is always to be young and curious... Well, we just live a different life than those who are "stable". And it takes all sorts of people for the world to be what it is, otherwise it'd be boring. Different people are like different colors- And rainbows are purty when you look at them ubbangel Imagine if the world were just black and white. blah.

To do: More Firedrums 08 video?

Wildfire/US East coast fire footage

LA/EDC glow/fire footage

Fresno fire

GidgBRONZE Member
Super Gidg!!!!
8,506 posts

Posted:
Silly does not make you an idiot.

I can be silly and can be very random (so I've been told) but those who know me, know that I have brains and that I use them. Just because I don't constantly show them off doesn’t mean that they are not there.

The problem is that most people have a preconceived notion that if you are silly all the time, that you really aren’t serious about anything. There is also a preconceived notion that serious people are intelligent because they seem to know what they are talking about.

The question is how do you wish to be conceived? You can be both but one will always out weight the other no matter how close of a balance you try to achieve. For instance, at work I’m conceived as being intelligent but with a healthy dowse of fun. With my friends outside of work I am viewed as silly with a brain when it comes to certain matters/subjects. I actually find it fun to surprise people with the fact that I have a side opposite of how the perceive me. And even though I am perceived as being a little naïve with both groups, I have found that to be more of an advantage than anything. I’m fortunate enough that no one, that I’m aware of, thinks that I am totally brainless and is as “thick as a pile of moodydog’s poo.”

Does it matter? Do we really care? No matter what we say, we actually do care. We care that we have a certain image at our place of work and a certain image with our friends outside of work. We are human; it is part of our makeup to worry about what people around us think about us. We care what our friends think about us because we want to always be accepted. We care what our co-workers think about us because we want to be viewed as knowing exactly what we are doing. Some people we care more about how they conceive us than others. But on the whole, we really do care and it really does matter.

Do you need a PhD? Heck no! I know some very brainy people that only have a high school education and they are taken WAY too seriously.

I don’t know if this will help any, but that is my view …. From someone who is considered more silly than brainy in this forum we call HoP.

Growing old is mandatory; growing up is NOT.
Proud member of the HoP DPS.
Sanity is a highly overrated state of mind.
I'm normal ... it's everyone else that's crazy.

Gidg

FoxInDocsSILVER Member
Pooh-Bah
1,848 posts

Posted:

I think it's possible to be silly and smart. I also think it's possible to be serious and stupid. It's also possible to be silly and stupid, and serious and smart.

I'm one of those serious people... mid-to-high intelligence i guess. I have silly friends, both smart and not-so-smart... i need them to keep me sane, and they do, and i love them to bits for it.

"i am exotic, and must keep my arms down" - Rougie

"i don't understand what penises have to do with getting married" - Foxie

wonderloeyenthusiast
255 posts

Posted:
bounce bounce

I'm all about silly dammit..

But I also have to work for a living, in a suit, in a financial institution.

I think that silly is what keeps me going. And intelligent reminds me why I'm going there.

"You've gone from Loey the Wonder Lesbian to everyone wondering if you are a lesbian." - Shadowman

Yesterday is yesterday. If we try to recapture it, we will only lose tomorrow.

NYCNYC
9,232 posts

Posted:
As with all social interactions, timing is everything.

Being silly at an inappropriate time absolutely makes you and idiot.

Being silly at an appropriate time is great. biggrin

Well, shall we go?
Yes, let's go.
[They do not move.]

{anthrax}BRONZE Member
Look I've changed my title!
209 posts

Posted:
Its scientifically proven... or so the T.V told me... that comedians have some of the highest Intelligence Quotas in the world. Especially stand up comedians because they have to constantly think on their feet and adapt quickly to different situations biggrin so you might actually be a genius!

anthrax.... it infects, then spreads..... fast

TinklePantsGOLD Member
Clique Infiltrator, Cunning Linguist and Master Debator
4,219 posts

Posted:
Jo-jo
I too, as everyone knows, am a devout dafty. I'm also very random. People should be more random... where was I... ah yes - even though I left school with no qualifications, I have above average intelligence. I didn't need any exams to tell me what I knew already lol (seriously though, I was never entered for them..... moving on...)

People who are unwilling to embrace your fun-loving nature should be tortured until they go insane. If you have no torture apparatus, you can borrow these.
*hands Jo a CD of Britney Spears' Greatest Hits and an Hearsay Album*

hug

Always use "so's your face" and "only on Tuesdays" in as many conversations possible

LazyAngelGOLD Member
Carpal \'Tunnel
2,895 posts

Posted:
Written by: TinklePants

People who are unwilling to embrace your fun-loving nature should be tortured until they go insane. If you have no torture apparatus, you can borrow these.
*hands Jo a CD of Britney Spears' Greatest Hits and an Hearsay Album*

hug

eek
ubblol

Because ActiveAngel sounds like a feminine deodorant

Like sex, I'm much more interesting in real life than online.

'Be the change you want to see in the world around you' - Ghandi

SkulduggeryGOLD Member
Pirate Pixie Crew Captain
8,428 posts

Posted:
Jo hun, you are a loonie ray of sunshine in many peoples lives. Just because you love to mess about, be silly and have fun does not suggest to me that you have no brain, quite the opposite really. You have enough intelligence to realise that life is short and that you can either choose to spend it worrying about things and being very straight laced all the time for fear of what people will think of you OR you can spend it having a great time and making yours and other peoples lives more fun.

I'm glad you are the way you are! A rainbow of colours. Bright and sunny. Let people think whatever they like about you. If they can't see the truth, then that is their problem. People that know you and love you know that there is a very clever brain behind that glowing smile and that's all that matters.

Feed me Chocolate!!! Feed me NOW!

jo_rhymesSILVER Member
Momma Bear
4,525 posts

Posted:
grouphug heart kiss ubblove hug redface ubbrollsmile biggrin sunny thankx wow bounce peace confused2 thanks guys. (i love you Skully!!!)
silly is great. I can be serious too, and loving. The thing is with my silliness is I just assume everyone knows what i'm talking about! and usually they say "you're weird, Jo!" haha

GnorBRONZE Member
Carpal \'Tunnel
5,814 posts

Posted:
hug hug hug hug

I place faith in Skullys judgement..listen to the Boney One

Is it the Truth?
Is it Fair to all concerned?
Will it build Goodwill and Better Friendships?
Will it be Beneficial to all concerned?

Im in a lonely battle with the world with a fish to match the chip on my shoulder. Gnu in Binnu in a cnu

Boo_BunnyBRONZE Member
Sparkely arty Mormon rainbow fairy
933 posts

Posted:
Let me tell you about one of my bestfreinds. shes fun, adicted to cartoons (especially disney and manga) and loves to bounce singing and about making the world brighter. that doesnt mean shes thick. she curently studying for a digree in biochemisty and she taught herself english by watching tv (shes japanese).
In my opinion, everyone should be like her. bubbly with brains.

Jo, you are not stupid. plain and simple. you are bright and intellegent and fun. you are the kind of people that that everyone should be more like.

Property of Fine_Rabid_Dog

SymBRONZE Member
Geek-enviro-hippy priest
1,858 posts

Posted:
Jo,

As NYC said, there is a time and a place. I think you are great at making people feel comfortable because you are silly. I love spending time with you because we can go from an in-depth debate about the world to pure silliness in no time at all (I admit, you’re the one who’s being silly most of the time, but that’s what I love about you). ubblove

I know you to be very smart. You have a super-quick wit, and you are able to hold an argument well because you think about issues that you are concerned about.

As for other people, there are many intelligent people who find the only way to get by in the world is by being silly. KaelGotRice mentioned Douglas Adams. I am a huge fan of his because he is amazingly silly whilst being very clever.

He tells this story:
Written by: Douglas Adams

There’s always a moment when you start to fall out of love, whether it’s with a person or an idea or a cause, even if it’s one you only narrate to yourself years after the event: a tiny thing, a wrong word, a false note, which means that things can never be quite the same again.

For me it was hearing a stand-up comedian make the following observation. “These scientists eh? They’re so stupid! You know those black box flight recorders they put on aeroplanes? And you know they’re meant to be indestructible? It’s always the thing that doesn’t get smashed? So why don’t they make the planes out of the same stuff?” The audience roared with laughter at how stupid scientists were, how they couldn’t think their way out of a paper bag, but I sat feeling uncomfortable. Was I just being pedantic to feel that the joke didn’t really work because flight recorders are made out titanium and that if you made planes out of titanium rather than aluminium they’d be far too heavy to get off the ground in the first place?

I began to pick away at the joke. Supposing Eric Morecambe had said it? Would it be funny then? Well, not quite, because that would have relied on the audience seeing that Eric was being dumb, in other words they would have had to know as a matter of common knowledge about the relative weights of titanium and aluminium. There was no way of deconstructing the joke (if you think this is obsessive behaviour you should try living with it) that didn’t rely on the teller and the audience complacently conspiring together to jeer at someone who knew more than they did. It sent a chill down my spine and still does.

I felt betrayed by comedy in the same way that gangsta rap now makes me feel betrayed by rock music. I also began to wonder how many of the jokes I was making were just, well, ignorant.

That to me sums it up quite well. There is being silly “In fact, I wanted to be John Cleese and it took some time to realize the job was in fact taken.” And there is being an idiot.

Of cause Douglas Adams isn’t the only one, any of the goons or pythons are good examples as well, or even Tom Lehrer. I am in awe of all of these people, because they are beautify intelligent and funny at the same time.

It’s all too easy to get caught up with stresses and angst due to thinking about the world too much, but one silly comment can take it all away and have you laughing all day – that, to me it what life is all about.

TinklePants, I left school at the age of 8 – I was educated at home and I don’t have a single qualification. To me that doesn't ack as a mesure of anything at all.

Written by: Boo_Bunny

Jo, you are not stupid. plain and simple. you are bright and intellegent and fun. you are the kind of people that that everyone should be more like.

I agree! biggrin ubblove

Mmm, this has turned out to be a very un-silly post.

Nevermind.

hug hug

There's too many home fires burning and not enough trees

jo_rhymesSILVER Member
Momma Bear
4,525 posts

Posted:
Thanks Sym, this thread has turned into a "you're great Jo" thread. which isnt what i intended, although it is very nice, thanks!
I was talking with my friend last night about people who just dont "get" our sense of humour. and then you have to explain what you meant. so you then just look like a real tw@t. not good. why cant people just understand the Jo perspective?

GnorBRONZE Member
Carpal \'Tunnel
5,814 posts

Posted:
eww....biochemistry wink

Is it the Truth?
Is it Fair to all concerned?
Will it build Goodwill and Better Friendships?
Will it be Beneficial to all concerned?

Im in a lonely battle with the world with a fish to match the chip on my shoulder. Gnu in Binnu in a cnu

jemima (jem)SILVER Member
Pooh-Bah
1,750 posts

Posted:
Being silly makes life worth living, we only need to be seriouse when its appropriate.

Sillyness is unexpected on a 'normal day' people are quick to think 'whats she in a good mood for?'

I think the stress of the seriouse stuff like work, lingers in us too much, especially in the winter. The majority of us simply forget how easy it is to relax and be playful.

It is very easy for people to make jugements on the 'here and now' of what they see and hear, and its much much easier to point out the negative stuff and put them into categories, we all do it. I wonder why?
I think its just to make us feel secure about who we are. To fit into this world an feel accepted.

Anyway, depending on who you are concerned about judging you and thinking you have an ickle brain made of poop, I wouldn't worry if they are concerned about your fantastic ability to relax and be playful smile

I reckon playfulness and sillyness is a part of us that shows intellect anyway. I have briefly been looking at the limbic system in the brain for my 'comfort' project. Its a part of our brain that plays a part in controlling emotions, and our ablities to be playful and loving ubblove oh and creative!

I think that getting bits of printed letters (qualifications) categorise us into groups of ablility to achieve. If you don't have the letters, there is no EVIDENCE of your abilities. But it doesn't mean that you cant! They are only bits of paper at the end of the day. A lot of people want to achive things to prove to THEMSELVES that their ablities. They dont have courses on how good you are at being silly eek ubblol maybe they should.........it should be compulsory to spend at least a couple of hours being silly. We wont all be so stressed and seriouse

Ok I have stopped waffling

hug

keep up the sillyness and balance it with seriouse intelect it makes me and a lot of other people smile smile

Never assume
Always Acknowledge

jemima (jem)SILVER Member
Pooh-Bah
1,750 posts

Posted:
OOh, I just had a flash back of a silly thing I did as a child. I put one of these things on my forehead for a couple of hours which gave me a loverly big purple dome circled with a red outerglow:) At least I did't have a high profile proffessional city job to go to the next day. I was only about six ubblol

Non-Https Image Link
It didn't make me stressed it made me laugh biggrin (I dont have a high profile job and I wouldn't want one)

:)
EDITED_BY: jemima (jem) (1140706523)

Never assume
Always Acknowledge

nearly_all_goneSILVER Member
Pooh-Bah
1,626 posts

Posted:
I'm really silly, and often an idiot because of it, but only because I make the same mistakes over and over.

I think there's nothing wrong with doing something silly if you've never done it before, but if you don't learn from that and help it stop you doing it again, then you're being an idiot.

That's just how I look at myself though, I'm usually a bit more forgiving to others wink And everyone's both silly and an idiot sometimes. I guess you just have to be OK with what you do in your own head, regardless of what others think of you. If you do everything for a good reason, then you're not an idiot.

What a wonderful miracle if only we could look through each other's eyes for an instant.
Thoreau

L0s3r_r@v3rSILVER Member
enthusiast
274 posts

Posted:
Written by: jo_rhymes

I was talking with my friend last night about people who just dont "get" our sense of humour. and then you have to explain what you meant. so you then just look like a real tw@t. not good. why cant people just understand the Jo perspective?

that's me me to the 10th degree.. oh yeah and BWAH! biggrin
i haven't met you before Jo but i <3 you anyway! ubblove

simian110% MONKEY EVERY TIME ALL THE TIME JUST CANT STOP THE MONKEY
3,149 posts

Posted:
now look, you've all had your fun, but i think it's really time we put a stop to this thread as it's all got far too silly.

Non-Https Image Link

"Switching between different kinds of chuu chuu sometimes gives this "urgh wtf?" effect because it's giving people the phi phenomenon."

jo_rhymesSILVER Member
Momma Bear
4,525 posts

Posted:
hahaha. Stop that! It's silly. I love the python. biggrin Simian McWimian, are you coming to Symmus O'mymmus's party on saturday? smile

Page: