Forums > Social Chat > Lord of the rings, The twin Towers. Have you seen it yet?

Login/Join to Participate
Page:
MikeGinnyGOLD Member
HOP Mad Doctor
13,925 posts

Posted:
I'll probably go see it once I'm on vacation. I hear it was filmed in some strange, backwater country. You know, one of those places that has 3 million people and 20 million sheep?

-Mike

Certified Mad Doctor and HoP High Priest of Nutella

A buckuht n a hooze! -Valura

NYCNYC
9,232 posts

Posted:
I haven't seen it but I do have the opportunity to spin fire at the premiere party in New York City. Unfortunatly I'm refusing because it's past my bedtime and I'm a schmuck. But some of my friends will be which is cool. I might drop by and hang with them for a while.

Sad because I'm a loser but happy because I've got two weeks of vacation coming up to stay up as late as I want.

Well, shall we go?
Yes, let's go.
[They do not move.]

dromepixieveteran
1,463 posts

Posted:
Lightning you are insane!

I havent seen it but I am going to try and book tickets soon for before christmas to see it with a friend

Apparently it just leaves you longing for the third worse than the first left you longing for the second...

I dunno I love Peter Jackson! He is a hobbit! LOL! I think he a great actor and the production is amazing and well thought.

Love and hugs,
drome

JUGGLEwithyourmind!

MikeGinnyGOLD Member
HOP Mad Doctor
13,925 posts

Posted:
quote:
Originally posted by dromepixie:
Lightning you are insane!
Flattery will get you nowhere.

-Mike

dromepixieveteran
1,463 posts

Posted:
What nowhere? damn all that asskissing for nothing...

JUGGLEwithyourmind!

MikeGinnyGOLD Member
HOP Mad Doctor
13,925 posts

Posted:
Ok, Drome. In YOUR case...flattery will get you EVERYWHERE.

-Mike

dromepixieveteran
1,463 posts

Posted:

JUGGLEwithyourmind!

ZoltarBRONZE Member
Beginner
282 posts

Posted:
Doesn't get released in Australia till boxing day.

I plan to see it then..... in Gold class

So much fire, so little body hair...

ValuraSILVER Member
Mumma Hen
6,391 posts

Posted:
I have met Peter Jackson...he was an ex boyfriends uncle..nice enough guy...kinda eccentric. I havent actually read the LOTR books...but LOVED the movie..left me longing for home.
Have already tried to book my tickets at gold class...Except they would only take credit card..As if I have one of those...

TAJ "boat mummy." VALURA "yes sweetie you went on a boat, was daddy there with you?" TAJ "no, but monkey on boat" VALURA "well then sweetie, Daddy WAS there with you"

FireSpiritSILVER Member
Classic 90's Fire Dancer... Poi, Staff, Doubles, and Breathing
743 posts

Posted:
YES!!!!!! AND WHAT A GREAT JOB!!
THE TWO TOWERS IS BETTER THAN THE FIRST!!!
What an amazing movie! One I will see Many times in the Theater!!!
I just got home and thought I'd see if anyone elts saw it! What an amazing movie!!
I Love The Tree People! (Marry and Pippin's Jurney) It seems a bit diffrent from the book, But I would almost go as far to say it was Better!!
It was a act of god that we got Tickets, and had Great Seats!!! It was like I was in the movie, fighting the battle, the sound was so good!
I don't want to tell any of the story, But;
GO AND SEE IT!!!! YOU WON"T BE SORRY!!!!!

~fire Spirit

P.S. Water Is A Powerful Element Too!!

FIRE IS ALIVE!
IT LIVES AND BREATHS!
IT CONSUMES, AND DISTROYS!
BUT WE CONTROL IT,
AND DANCE WITH FIRE!!

Locoflymember
62 posts

Posted:
i saw it. it rocked. i wont try to spoil it for you though. go see it. hopefully for less than 10 bucks u.s. even go so far as to break out the expired student i.d. for a discount.

From the makers of soylent green.

KajiQuantum Theorist
564 posts

Posted:
hmmmm pay $13 (for me and my girlfriend) to fight to stay awake through 3 hours of a boring increadable waste of good film. I saw the last one last year and I it was the only movie I've actually wanted to leave. It was that bad. The movies should be about 1.5 hours long. I'm not even going to start on the book...
Bored of the Rings: Now that was a GOOD BOOK!

In the 60's people took acid to make the world weird, now the world is weird and they take prozac to make it normal again.

Aguamember
67 posts

Posted:
I'm seeing it tomorrow with a friend. But being the geek I am I couldn't resist posting. Here's something of an Quenyan poem/song I'm working on:

Nailyë utúva estë mblung orë
Nai fuin vana

Estelan Air'Eru cheba nev orë i dolen menel annon
A estelan utúvamet Valinor silmë sinomë

There's more, but I can't remember it now,
If I've remembered correctly it means:

May it be thou finds rest for your heavy heart,
may gloom pass you by

I hope that the Holy One keeps you near His heart, the hidden gate of heaven
and I hope we find Valinor (the home of the Gods) on this starlit path

Namarië

Amateurs practice something until they get it right; professionals practice until they can't get it wrong.

Jelloambiguous
646 posts

Posted:
The movie in and of its self is good, in some ways better than the first but in others not as good. Though if I judged it by the book I felt this movie version was kind of weak. I mean I felt the plot in the novel was better than what was created on screen, more solid. They left out some key things in my mind and replaced them with others that didn't make sense. Like the whole deal with Helms deep, just as one example. However good the special affects are when you try to alter Tolkien's work you're going to run into problems.

That and I had a problem with golem.

I did really enjoy the movie though, it's really good. You have to take the movie almost seperatly from the novels, they're not meant to be the completely the same. So yeah, great movie

Tikamember
106 posts

Posted:
You can't be to hard on the comparison between the book and the movie though. It is really hard to produce a book into a movie in the first place, let alone one as imaginitive as LOTR. I totally loved the first one and want to see the Two Towers.

AardvarkOnAcidmember
92 posts

Posted:
-******POSSIBLE SPOILERS BELOW *****-

Saw it a couple of days ago. Thought there were a few very irritating aspects to it.

The battle of isengard was glossed over and rather clumsy and artificial looking. The ents were too non-tree like for my tastes.

The orcs were brilliant. Best part of the movie in terms of eye candy in my opinion. But I thought the battle of helms deep was too hollywood by far. The final scene was too short and a foregone conclusion and there was never a sense of real despair or danger in the battle, despite the insane odds. I think Jackson completely missed the boat here -- the battle had the pontential to be incredibly emotionally wrenching but became just another eye candy fest. The absolute pit occured when aragorn threw gimli into a bunch of orcs and dove in afterwards, something more out of a cheap hollywood action flick than tolkien. There remained a sense of "nothing bad can happen, the good guys are super human and they'll win no matter what the odds" about it all. This was one of the darkest moments in the book, with the destruction of everyone involved certain, despite which they fight on. Can't say I felt any of that though. The beginning of that plot line was good, but it got too caught up in special effects and short-jokes. The beginning Theoden scenes were ruined by the sledge-hammer special effects of the cure. A bit more subtlty would have made the scene amazing.

Golum kicked ass.

I found the change to faramir's role to be puzzling and kind of pointless, aside from the ability to add another battle scene with heavy CGI to the movie.

Is that all life comes down to? To be lying face down with an overenthusiastic guy in pink pin-striped pants sitting on top of you and grunting? -- Random MusingsSex, Drugs and Psytrance.

Trippie HippieBRONZE Member
old hand
733 posts

Posted:
quote:
Originally posted by MikeGinny (Lightning):
I hear it was filmed in some strange, backwater country. You know, one of those places that has 3 million people and 20 million sheep?
What, Wales (UK)

LOL
Taking it easy
Trippy

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Last night i met some pixies and we danced around a stone.
N.E.W.B. Agent #012
"I Got Soul"
Non-Https Image Link

Trippie Hippie- Monty Dons secret love child

Fly like a mouse, run like a pillow, be the small book case.

"Last night i met some pixies and we danced around a stone".

Because dressing up is fun.

_Stix_Pooh-Bah
2,419 posts

Posted:
I saw it last night and I think it was a brillient adaptation of a fantastic book. Now there is never anyway films can include all the points and story lines in books.. But I thought it was a feast to the eyes - I loved it.

BUT - very freaky Golum actually reminded me (physically) of the guy that I call 'letch' at work.. his hands especially. I can't stand the sexually desperate man and feel akward when I'm left in the office by myself with him - now I can't look him inthe face without laughing.. can't tell him why tho.. oops

I honour you as an aspect of myself..

You are never to old to storm a bouncey castle..

Bram....member
1,551 posts

Posted:
Going to go see it tomorrow From the 2-second shot that I saw on the addie for it, I think they did a fairly good job of recreating the ents. I mean think about how hard it would be to recreate a walking talking tree, and further more, make it look relatively realistic

You. Its whats for dinner!

As time passes, you realise all the mistakes you amde and the ones you wish you never did make.

The wave crashing on the beach

Sepamember
184 posts

Posted:
***POSSIBLE SPOILER BELOW TOO!!**

I saw it last night, and really enjoyed it. I would have to rate it as good, if not better than the first.

I actually felt it deepened my understanding of Elrond/Arwen, and also Gollum, which isn't something you say often about a movie of the book.

I liked the Ents, although they weren't as large as in my imagination, and on the other hand, they had longer legs! However Tolkein describes them as taking loooong steps, which certainly fits in with how they were in the film.

I thought Gollum was fantastic. He gains a lot of character in the movie that I didn't get from the books. The Gollum/Smeagol dichotomy was beautifully done. I was also immensely impressed with the quality of the computer graphics. His skin and eyes had the depth that is often lacking in computer generated characters, and because his movements were modeled on those of a real person, they were utterly convincing.

The Arwen/Elrond thing was also great. The books tend to emphasise the stoicness and resignation to fate of the Elves. I always wondered why Elrond didn't seem to feel sorrow at the choice that Arwen made - it was a choice he himself had to make as a young man, and he chose to be an Elf, unlike his brother who chose mortality. Elrond's sorrow at losing his daughter, and her own realisation of the consequences of her choice are great.

I thought the battle scenes were good. I don't really know how you can make it darker - of course they're going to win, it's an epic tale, classic fantasy and the whole point of that is no matter how bad things get, the good guys will win out (unless you're David Gemmell, of course!).

Some of the final speeches were a little bit over the top, but not Sam's, interestingly, because that is really what Sam is like. I'm beginning to see that Sam is, in many ways, the truest of heart of all the characters, although of course Frodo's doubts and torments are all caused by the ring and he can only succeed because of his purity is as deep as the ring is corrupt.

God I can guff on, can't I!!

DioHoP Mechanical Engineer
729 posts

Posted:
**** WARNING MAY CONTAIN SPOILERS ****

Well, I can say this is the first movie I've ever arrived 3 hours early to wait in line for (we had tickets already bought but still had to get good seats and stuff). Luckily, a friend brought his laptop with DVD and we watched the first one right before going in For a 12:01am showing of a 3-hour movie I managed to stay awake quite well.

My impressions? Gollum almost made me cry, they did an excellent job of capturing his tortured soul / schizophrenic character and I felt like he was really there and not a CGI (like Yoda was, unfortunately). The Ents were astounding to me, though I agree with Aardvark that they could have been a bit more tree-like. Wormtongue and Eowyn were absolutely incredible.

The things I was a bit disapointed with:
Gimli has been reduced to one-liner comic relief. Every single scene he was in, he was the butt of some sort of joke.
Battles all seemed too shallow, like with Isengard being a 2-minute stretch at the end and Helm's Deep seeming INCREDIBLY Hollywood. None of them had a conclusion either! I mean, one scene they're fighting for their lives, the next you see them standing around saying "Boy what a victory." I like my victories climactic, not implied
Merry and Pippin are my favorites and should have gotten a bit more action I think.
Gandalf was a disappointment, with his whole Charleton Heston / Moses routine (The scene where he throws off his cloak and shines brilliantly white in the sunlight made me gag).
Arwen is now reduced to the girl-next-door-with-disapproving-dad waiting for medieval jock-boy Aragorn to sweep off her feet. Liv Tyler infuriates me... strictly personal opinion though.
Legolas and Gimli ... what happened to the friendship they were supposed to build up in this part of the trilogy? The whole elf vs dwarf bigotry being resolved as these two heroes come to know one another was a major theme I would have liked to see develop.
Camera Work - did anyone else get a little bit tired of the huge panoramic tracking shots? No offense to New Zealanders, your country is beautiful, but now I think I have seen it from every angle possible after this movie

Overall, this one fell a little short of the first one for me. Then again, perhaps it's because I was up so late watching it, so I'll report back Sunday when I see it again.

What hits the fan is not evenly distributed.

Mineiromember
262 posts

Posted:
sorry....

but oh my god im so disappointed....

i think waiting one year with extra hype has ruined it...

some amazing bits, but toooooooo much disparity between reality and CGI

R

brain replacement...anyone?

Nyxenthusiast
385 posts

Posted:
okay so anyone who knows me knows how i feel about LOTR....I was creating elven D&D characters based on Tolkien's model more years ago than i would like to admit! So yeah, i waited in the line and yes i sat transfixed through three hours of an attempt to bring my absolute favorite books to life...no, it wasn't exactly what i imagined but as hard as it is you have to view the film from a different perspective than you read the book. Film is a totally different media than the written word and has to be judged accordingly. That being said, despite the fact that I would have to agree on the view that Helm's Deep was made into a Hollywood battle, not a Tolkien battle, and Gimli was sadly reduced in depth of character, I still think this was an absolutely amazing and beautiful film! After I see it again on Monday i'll probably come back with a much clearer view and opinion overall, but for now all I can say is that this movie ROCKS!!! I don't think i've ever been so thouroughly lost in a film for three straight hours! Yay!
Frost: you're nuts
Shaun: nice job!

[ 21. December 2002, 08:35: Message edited by: Nyx ]

"Dancing can reveal all the mystery that music conceals"

~Charles Baudelaire

Jelloambiguous
646 posts

Posted:
Dio - Personally I thought they did establish the friendship between Gimli and Legolas. They were very light hearted and joking with eachother, it wasn't blatantly obvious but I definitly saw respect and fondness shared between the two.

And yeah, gimli was turned into comic relief.

Which is what I thought golem was too, I mean he wasn't like jar jar or anything, but I didn't see him as a very serious character.

And yeah, I'm with Nyx, have to judge the movie on it's own merrits, I'll see it again to get a better view of it as well.

[ 21. December 2002, 08:36: Message edited by: Jello ]

xtremravr...was here..member
337 posts

Posted:
disappointed?..well not really, i thought the movie did draw out a bit, but all in all i think that this movie was definately a good one!! i mean come on the battle scenes were absolutely awesome!! and then you had legolas and the dwarf(forgot his name) counting how many orecks they killed...that was awesome!! haha well all in all i had a great time watching the movie and i cant wait for the 3rd part!!

i rate the movie **** out of ***** so if you like the LOTR then you must go see it!!

Peace Luv Uni-t Respect Responsa-what?!?! Xtrem

TheBovrilMonkeySILVER Member
Liquid Cow
2,629 posts

Posted:
Overall, I loved the film, Gollum in particular was brilliant, I think they got his multiple personalities just right.
The little touches are brilliant too - the burning ent ducking into the flood to put himself out for example.

The only thing that annoyed me was the really bad jokes at Gimli's expense, they could have kept a few of them in to lighten it up a bit but we didn't really need to see him burp, or fall off horses.

I don't suppose anyone knows who song that plays as the credits roll is by do they? I'm sure I recognise the voice, but I can't quite place it.

edit.. wow, I was right - it's Emiliana Torrini, I'm really going to have to get the soundtrack now.

[ 21. December 2002, 14:09: Message edited by: TheBovrilMonkey ]

But there's no sense crying over every mistake. You just keep on trying till you run out of cake.

DioHoP Mechanical Engineer
729 posts

Posted:
On the topic of ignorant people and LoTR...

How many people remember hearing someone (friend or stranger) complaining about the first movie "cutting off before the ending?" Arrrrgh those ppl make me want to destroy something beautiful

Did anyone hear the same sentiment following the second movie or has the general public come to realize that there's actually 3 parts to the story?

Jello - you are correct when you say Gim and Leg are buddy-buddy in the movie, I was just saying it doesn't seem like any sort of development takes place, they're just suddenly joking around with each other (doesn't really fit in with where things stood in the first movie). Personally I would have liked to see a little more animosity at first that over the course grew into a great friendship... would be good lesson within the story for the kiddies watching

What hits the fan is not evenly distributed.

Sweet Pixiemember
24 posts

Posted:
This little Pixie is definitely going to see it when it's released in Aussie on Boxing Day!!

Can't wait, saw the first last boxing day and have been hanging out for number two since then....

The best and most beautiful things in the world cannot be seen or even touched...they must be felt with the heart...

Bram....member
1,551 posts

Posted:
I see it tomorrow

Mayhap I should take my Gandalf doll with me

You. Its whats for dinner!

As time passes, you realise all the mistakes you amde and the ones you wish you never did make.

The wave crashing on the beach

Aguamember
67 posts

Posted:
**warning, A LOT of spoilers are contained in this post, so read at own risk if you haven't seen it yet***

This is merely my maybe-not-so-humble opinion...

well, i saw it friday night...bravo. Here is the consensus me and my best friend came to. Tolkien is criticised by critics for the lack of depth in his characters (which I totally disagree with), but Tolkien based his characters on archetypes. I think what the movie was trying to accomplish was making it a little bit more "human" in a way. Like Aragorn for example, in the books he was NEVER unsure of who he was. He knew his lineage and his doom (as the Elves refer to it) and knew it completely. But to bring out a more "human" side of him, they made him appear unsure, but steadfast. And with Legolas blowing up on Aragorn @ Helm's Deep, yeah right. Other than Gandalf and Aragorn himself, Legolas knew what Aragorn would do (remember his defence of him at the Council of Elrond??). Elves are quite beyond such things (again in the Tolkien-style archetype), but it created an empathy for the character that might not have otherwise been there. My one major spiff (from a purist point of view) was definitely the Elves @ Helm's Deep. The Last Alliance was just that, and that was when Sauron was defeated by Isildur. It was up to humans after that. Legolas should have been the only Elf there. From a movie-watchers POV, yeah, it kicked ass.
The Ents-perfect, nuff said.
My other main complaint (because I'm a super-Tolkien geek *see previous post*) is it was TOO SHORT!! There was a ton of interaction between Treebeard, Merry, and Pippin, that they left out (the ent-draught and the talk of the ent-wives), Helm's Deep could have had a lot more (which I hear the rated-R version spec. ed. will have more of). And just plain classic dialouge that wasn't there.
Gollum-loved him. I finally hit me in the head why Frodo had pity on him now because of the movie. Being a ring-bearer and knowing what it does to you, and that creating the empathy it does; I think they brought that out well.
They left out a lot of the "Horse and Rider" speech, and I really wanted to hear the voice of Saruman at the felling of Isengard.

I'm in love with Eowyn. If ever there was a perfect archetype for the "lady of my dreams" she is it. The perfect mixture of elegance and valour. The fair and yet fearsome (which we shall hopefully see move of in Return of the King ). Her outfits were simple, but she was regal in the way she wore them. And that look in her eyes when she parried Aragorn's sword out of the way, yeah, that sunk me...perfection. And what she said how the worst thing for her would be to die or grow old without giving her full measure of valor, I wept. (Aragorn's repsone was perfect. "...you're a...shield-bearer of Gondor...I do not think that will be your fate," insert more weeping here) Alan Lee in his art portrayed Eowyn as a redhead (which I think would have been a little more true to her nature) but hey, they captured her spirit well, and the actress they chose was absolutely beautiful. I'll be looking forward to seeing her @ Minas Tirith. (There is no hope for me is there???)

Well, I've again wasted much of your time, and I could wrtie a whole hell of a lot more, but I won't. Good tidings to you all

Namarië

slw

Amateurs practice something until they get it right; professionals practice until they can't get it wrong.

Page: