_Clare_BRONZE Member
Still wiggling
5,967 posts

Posted:
Hello there everyone,

Hope it's ok for me to post this here (I posted in a similar thread in Events too...)

I was wondering if any of you could give me some advice.

A friend of mine must move to York in a couple of weeks.
He doesn't really want to go, but is doing a good thing and going anyways (long story).

He's not a spinner, but he is an artist - and has done lots of work constructing sets and props for street carnivals and parades.

He doesn't know anyone at all in York and it would be great if he could meet someone there - someone to introduce him to the alternative scene in the area or just someone to talk to!!

Please let me know if you can help.
He's a lovely guy, 30, with a fabulous smile biggrin

Take care, and thanks
Clare xx

Getting to the other side smile

KyrianDreamer
4,308 posts

Posted:
I would totally volunteer but causality says no (7 more mos).

Hopefully sethis will walk by and see this. If not I may hit him gently with a hammer. I know a lot of people in york but not artisty types (or poi types, even) so Sethis will be a better bet, I'm sure.

But if he's still there in the fall I shall like to say hullo!

Keep your dream alive
Dreamin is still how the strong survive

Shalom VeAhavah

New Hampshire has a point....

Boo_BunnyBRONZE Member
Sparkely arty Mormon rainbow fairy
933 posts

Posted:
I dont live in york, but i do live close (harrogate, about 10 miles-ish). if i can help let me know.

Property of Fine_Rabid_Dog

KyrianDreamer
4,308 posts

Posted:
P.S.

To get into a subsection of the alternative scene:

Go to Ziggy's on a Tuesday. Anyone in town will know where/what Ziggy's is (its a popular nightclub thats actually a house). And tuesday, altho billed as goth night, is a general alternative night attracting all ages. So its a good place to meet people! smile

Keep your dream alive

Shalom VeAhavah

SethisBRONZE Member
Pooh-Bah
1,762 posts

Posted:
Heh. Because I know *so* much about the "alternative" scene rolleyes

But I'm at York Uni, so I could definately meet him and show him round town a bit.

After much consideration, I find that the view is worth the asphyxiation.
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
I may disagree with what you have to say, but I will defend to the death your right to say it.

_Clare_BRONZE Member
Still wiggling
5,967 posts

Posted:
hug

Thanks Sethis... Pm on it's way...

KyrianDreamer
4,308 posts

Posted:
Oh, do tell him that walking around the city works well tho. The buses are very slow and only worthwhile if you're going outside the city limits, to the asda or somesuch. I mean, he may have a car and this is all moot, but I thought I'd mention. (Especially as a certain lovely friend of mine who's going to be showing him around still thinks its worth paying to get somewhere in the same amount of time as walking tongue)

And the best pub is Wetherspoons, but if he is ever invited to meet people at a wetherspoons do ask which one, there is one called the postern gate and one called the punchbowl. (Wetherspoons is also referred to as spoons). They have the best quality beer, and the least expensive too (for all drinks, really). Lots of options, slightly different between the two places. We also variously recommend the Lowther, the Stone Roses, and The Kings Arms. And... there's one more, thats a bit more upscale, but I can't for the life of me think of the name right now. The ASDA is at nearby Monks Cross, there is a sainsburies right outside the city walls and also an iceland nearby.

Blah blah blah. Hope its vaguely helpful.

hug

Tell him good luck.

Keep your dream alive

Shalom VeAhavah

_Clare_BRONZE Member
Still wiggling
5,967 posts

Posted:
biggrin biggrin

Thanks Kyrian, Sethis and Boo... tis muchly appreciated, and Steve is delighted - he said he'd mail you today Sethis...

Take care, have fun xx

drofkcahSILVER Member
80 posts

Posted:
in the summer i went to york for a friends leaving do and we went to a place called Old Orleans its a good place to get a meal from what i can remember!

I am a sig virus place me in you sig so that i can continue to replicate

Rgds Drofkcah