jim bombadilmember
142 posts

Posted:
i was just wondering what me fellow humans are doing for a living, i have spent the last few months trying to earn a bit of money along the general lines of 9 to 5 crap which leaves me feeling a bit like "what am i doing with my life!!?" quite alot obviously it hard to avoid but its most of your waking hours and also which machine are you a cog in? anyways how yous living??

Magnusmember
279 posts

Posted:
I work for an Internet Company, 9-5 (well, 10-6). 8 hours a day, 5 days a week.

After 3 1/2 years of this, I am not bored. But I want to spend more time writing my book, and more time doing things for me, and I want more money.

So I've got 3 companies brewing. The idea is that they will supplement and replace my salary such that I can finish the book and retire on the film rights. How's that for a plan?

See I can't just ditch this lifestyle because I have vast debts and a mortgage to pay. I don't feel trapped, but it certainly limits my options.

2 years ago when I was deciding whether or not to buy my flat I basically had a long hard stare at myself in the mirror and decided between spending much of my time working, to earn money to have a comfortable but slightly more stressful life, or paying off debts as soon as possible and having a cheaper but carefree lifestyle.

Unfortunately the mirror I was looking into was in a marbled bathroom in a £200/night luxury hotel in the centre of Paris, and I thought I'd stick with the high-flying IT career a little while longer.

Magnus... pay it forward

Jelloambiguous
646 posts

Posted:
As of now I'm a college student, one of the non-working ones. Whenever I go home I'm automatically sent off to work at my fathers business, so I try not to stay home for too long

I'm still debating what I shall do once out of college. I'm studying architecture, and love it, so right away I'll most likely work for some kind firm. Which I've worked in architects offices plenty, I know basically what goes on in them. And that would leave me content, not overally happy, but content. It's a difficult job and market, sometimes overtime is needed, but for the most part it's a 8-5, with 1 hour lunch break , career. That is of course unless you own the firm or are a high up in it, it can be extremely time consuming if you take on alot of responsibility.

I'm tempted to continue my cultural anthropology learning though, I'm minoring in it now. I'll have to see if it works, but maybe someday in the future I could get a BA in that. No matter what I'm getting a masters in Architecture, it's needed to be licensed and such. In a way I'm holding out for a unique job oppurtunity that incooporates my love for cultural anthropology and the built environment. Who knows? I have time, I'm only a junior in undergrad.

flidBRONZE Member
Carpal \'Tunnel
3,136 posts

Posted:
university engineering student with part time freelance PHP/MySQL/Java/Perl job to buy toys with.

I intend to stay in uni for as long as possible - MSC next then PHD (somewhere warm preferably). Being a student is the way forward

KajiQuantum Theorist
564 posts

Posted:
College IT student. I'm going to Uni in a year and a half to get my Bat of Tech and then on Masters.

In the 60's people took acid to make the world weird, now the world is weird and they take prozac to make it normal again.

MikeGinnyGOLD Member
HOP Mad Doctor
13,925 posts

Posted:
Medical Student... I'll eventually be a professor of medicine somewhere.

-Mike

Certified Mad Doctor and HoP High Priest of Nutella

A buckuht n a hooze! -Valura

ValuraSILVER Member
Mumma Hen
6,391 posts

Posted:
Im a fire twirling, hippie, mystic, fairy, freak, hobo.... and Im proud.

TAJ "boat mummy." VALURA "yes sweetie you went on a boat, was daddy there with you?" TAJ "no, but monkey on boat" VALURA "well then sweetie, Daddy WAS there with you"

RoziSILVER Member
100 characters max...
2,996 posts

Posted:
After about 5 years of attempting to build a career, I am atempting to build an interesting life instead. I am working in training and adult education and basically am aiming at getting to the stage where I don't "work 9 to 5", rather the activities that people would call work are things I would choose to do anyway, and could happen at anytime during the day/week. Like I said, a life not a career.

It was a day for screaming at inanimate objects.

What this calls for is a special mix of psychology and extreme violence...

KaliBRONZE Member
577 posts

Posted:
I'm really Kyri..... Kali is on the couch in the living room working on her paper for uni. (Yes, it already got out for winter break.... shh)

I'm also a uni student.... first year at UC Santa Cruz. Unfortunetly, the way the good ol' USofA is set up, you need to be able to pay a fortune to get an education. Being smart doesn't help too much unless ur also really really poor. or really really rich. So, I prolly don't even get to finish my undergrad degree, short of a miracle, or finishing it when i'm like 27. But, ideally, i would love to stay in school forever (or at least for awhile) and learn. With a nice break in the middle to go travelling, the kind where i live in other countries, in a good part to learn their languages, but also to try and understand culture from their side, etc, etc, i think it'll be really fun

In teh meantime, if all goes well I'm working 30-32hr/week next quarter, taking 25credits, and ...uh.... you don't want to hear about it! scary!

good luck

Beauty is the conscious sum of all our perversions.-Salvador DaliHope without action is hopeless.

Bram....member
1,551 posts

Posted:
I deliver newspapers for $35 can. a month, and babysit for $4 an hour. Hows that, do I win, what do I get if I win. Oh, and when I grad, I wanna become a global nomad Australia, here I come. I wanna learn your language

You. Its whats for dinner!

As time passes, you realise all the mistakes you amde and the ones you wish you never did make.

The wave crashing on the beach

SickpuPpyNinja Rockstar!
1,100 posts

Posted:
I am a precicion machinist.

Jesus helps me trick people.

pkBRONZE Member
Lambretta Fanatic
4,997 posts

Posted:
all ways got my head into somthing that interests me normally nancy's cleveage but we wont go into that here, just kidding some computer based or other.

Distorted Silencemember
217 posts

Posted:
I wish I had a job. Stupid people and their fear of pierced people....

I need money now that I've finished school.

You've got to move fast to beat the Devil - Your arm's too short to box with God.

pkBRONZE Member
Lambretta Fanatic
4,997 posts

Posted:
quote:
Originally posted by Distorted Silence:
I wish I had a job. Stupid people and their fear of pierced people....

I need money now that I've finished school.

glad i am not the only one to be treated that way... like are we diseased? do we smell? dont know what the law is in the US bt its classed as racial discimination for an employer to turn u down for a job or ask you to take your piercings out. a big thing in the piercing comunities that not many english folk now about.

PeleBRONZE Member
the henna lady
6,193 posts

Posted:
Professional Performer-Director-Writer

Right now, acting in an interactive improvisational show and planning the direction for another one, as well as choreographing a few routines for a show in April.

I have a tremendous amount of passion and dedication for what I do, but there are soooo many days when I do for work what you all do for fun, and sometimes that is a pretty heavy realization.

I am currently looking for a bartending job, and to train to become a piercer/brander and such artist. We'll see how that works out!

[ 19. December 2002, 16:46: Message edited by: Pele ]

Pele
Higher, higher burning fire...making music like a choir
"Oooh look! A pub!" -exclaimed after recovering from a stupid fall
"And for the decadence of art, nothing beats a roaring fire." -TMK

Tambomember
97 posts

Posted:
I work for a publishing company that make magazines for games consoles, ie psone ps2 and game boy advance. I do the advertising and competitions in the magazine and all the administration. I HATE MY JOB

I have been trying and trying and trying and trying to find something else but with no joy, no one wants to employ me. It would help if I knew what I wanted to do but I figured I would apply for jobs with charities and none profit orgainisations, but still no joy......Starting volunteer work in the new year with Devon Wildlife Trust so maybe that will help.
Got to keep optimistic!!!

Aguamember
67 posts

Posted:
overnight security at a private university from sunday-thrusday 2200-0600. this is where I get some time to practice my poi. Especially recently cuz the weather has been great (it was 68 today, in St. Louis!!) and the moon has been out. great fun

Amateurs practice something until they get it right; professionals practice until they can't get it wrong.

MikeGinnyGOLD Member
HOP Mad Doctor
13,925 posts

Posted:
We did get talked to as a class about the piercing thing. Dr. Lash (who is really cool) put it this way.

"When you're seeing patients, please be mindful of how much metal you have in and around various bodily orifices. I'm not going to tell you what to wear, I'm not going to tell you what not to wear. Just remember...it's not about you."

In the end, I think it depends on what job you are doing and what expectations people in general have of you. If your job is to sit in a cubicle and the only people you have to interact with are co-workers who know you, I don't think it makes a difference.

On the other hand, in my line of work, I am seeing patients from every background you could possibly imagine. Everyone will need medical attention at some point in his or her life. In my case, I am not trying to delight anyone and I'm not trying to make a point. Basically, I am supposed to avoid offending anyone. That means be pretty much clean-cut and well-groomed.

Anyways, that fits with my personality. I don't believe in wearing my mind and my views on my outside. I don't have political bumper stickers on my car, I do wear a Star of David, but I keep it inside my shirt, and I try to be inconspicuous as possible when I'm going about my day-to-day life. I think people should have to take the time to inquire and to actually be interested in what makes me tick in order to find that out.

-Mike

DeepSoulSheepGOLD Member
Carpal \'Tunnel
2,617 posts

Posted:
I am a computer programer. Easy job that is challenging and well paid considering I'm hungover and knackered at least 3 days of the week. It keeps me in my social life really.

I'm in my last year of college (by night) and will soon have a degree I don't particularly want. It is however a bit of insurance and I plan on travelling with my love for the rest of my life as of June, just gotta grab a tent and go...

I dunno it seems to me that opening your own business is got to be really rewarding. All you needs an idea and even I'm capable of them

I live in a world of infinite possibilities.

MikeGinnyGOLD Member
HOP Mad Doctor
13,925 posts

Posted:
A friend of my parents was once telling me a story and it started with "When I graduated, I really had nothing except for my education..."

See, that "except" is a really important and powerful thing. This particular man is an anomaly. Not only is he incredibly wealthy, but he's also incredibly happy. I know a lot of people who are happy and a lot of people who are wealthy, but very few people who are both.

-Mike

musashiistarring Skippy the green llama
1,148 posts

Posted:
I program during the day, moonlight as a graphik designer(tho it's cutting into my other studies so I havent taken many jobs recently). I want to go back to school and finish my degree, but I'm not gonna find a program good enough here in the south, soo..One of these days..I'm working on my pilots license too, I'd LOVE to get paid to fly sum day..

First intention, then enlightenment..
Ars Pyronomica

" Life is programmed. Whether death is programmed or not is yet to be determined."

Paddyback from the dead...sort of
884 posts

Posted:
Yet another uni student over here. I'm studying cognitive science, hoping to go into artificial intelligence research or AI programming for videogames.

The job keeping me afloat right now is fantastic...I do 3D animation for a graphic design company. I set my own hours and work from home. Sweeeeeeeeeet.