SeyeSILVER Member
Geek
1,261 posts

Posted:
I'm going to get some new fire poi BUT cant decide whether to get fine chain or ballchain. I do loads of wraps but have images of strings of spot burns from the ballchain.

Is that the case or does it not transfer heat that well.

newgabeSILVER Member
what goes around comes around. unless you're into stalls.
4,030 posts

Posted:
recently a mate who does a lot of wrappy things had some leather casings made for the bottom few inches of the chain...

.....Can't juggle balls but I sure as hell can juggle details....

SeyeSILVER Member
Geek
1,261 posts

Posted:
Think I'm going to go along those lines - Probably just sew a bit of kevlar round the bottom few inches.

pricklyleafSILVER Member
with added berries
1,365 posts

Posted:
If you hunt around in the gallery, I saw a photo of someones hand with a ball chain burn, looked like a line of bubble wrap on along the back of his hand.

In the meantime, ballchain is meant to be better for wraps, but if you wrap fire then always make sure you wear a leather (of other suitable material) guantlet, to make sure you avoid any burns.

...theres always the one time when a wrap goes wrong...

edit: found the photo, and yeouch! ball chain burn ow!
EDITED_BY: pricklyleaf (1140460091)

Live like there is no tomorrow,
dance like nobody is watching
and hula hoop like wiggling will save the world.

“What lies behind us and what lies before us are tiny matters compared to what lies within us.”

Ralph Waldo Emerson

SeyeSILVER Member
Geek
1,261 posts

Posted:
Ow!
Non-Https Image Link

Thats what I was concerned about.

I've got some spare wick lying around somewhere I'll just make a cover for the bottom of the chain and hope for the best for now. I'll soon know I guess.
Non-Https Image Link

BirdGOLD Member
now available in "advanced"
6,086 posts

Posted:
That'd have been my hand then!

I'd say ballchain is fine for wraps, the cause of the burn was purely my own stupidity. I held out the poi for someone to light their staff, then promptly wrapped the, now very hot, chain around my hand. rolleyes

I've never had any problems with ballchain getting overly hot other than this incident.

My state of mind is not yours to define!

There is a very fine line between "hobby" and "mental illness."

SeyeSILVER Member
Geek
1,261 posts

Posted:
That did look pretty nasty!

I bet it was one of those moments where you suddenly thought 'why did I do that' and THEN the pain kicked in.

BirdGOLD Member
6,086 posts

Posted:
Yup! I was able to watch it wrapping round my hand, while thinking "stupid, stupid, stupid". I didn't really notice how bad it was til I'd finished my fuel had run out and I'd finished my spin (by then it had already blistered).

SkulduggeryGOLD Member
Pirate Pixie Crew Captain
8,428 posts

Posted:
It looked even more ouchy in the flesh! But if you will go wrapping hot metal around your hand Dave! ubblol

I guess the lesson learned here is never wrap any ball chain or link chain if you have had your lit poi hanging still in the vertical position for a few mins.

Matty B, Rossco and a few others wear Kevlar arm covers. I think Dunc was selling them at one time. Try PM-ing him and asking him about them. The look like that surgical support tubing that you use on sprained wrists and ankles.

Feed me Chocolate!!! Feed me NOW!

SeyeSILVER Member
Geek
1,261 posts

Posted:
Skully - I have been thinking about getting some.

If anyone wants some there are good ones here that have individual finger holes so your palms are protected too.
(at the bottom of the page)

Suibomaddict
577 posts

Posted:
Here's another type that I've seen posted around:
https://hatch-corp.com/lawpages/ks16_19.html

You can search for Hatch Kevlar Sleeves to hunt around for a good price.

Definition of poi- A Hawaiian food made from the tuber of the taro that is cooked, pounded to a paste, and fermented.

Ahnold discussing poi - "It is naht a toober!"

newgabeSILVER Member
what goes around comes around. unless you're into stalls.
4,030 posts

Posted:
is there not a risk that kevlar can accidentally get fuel into it when redipping, and lightup?

.....Can't juggle balls but I sure as hell can juggle details....

[Nx?]BRONZE Member
Carpal \'Tunnel
3,749 posts

Posted:
and its not so gay looking as leather vambraces....

T

This is a post by tom, all spelling is deleberate
-><- Kallisti

Suibomaddict
577 posts

Posted:
Written by:

is there not a risk that kevlar can accidentally get fuel into it when redipping, and lightup?

I would imagine it's the same risk as with any other sleeves/gloves and even skin. However, the fact that they are heat resistant is helpful I'm sure. I'd be generally more worried about getting fuel on the grips, specially with some of those grips out there.. self locking grips don't seem the best idea around..

Definition of poi- A Hawaiian food made from the tuber of the taro that is cooked, pounded to a paste, and fermented.

StoutBRONZE Member
Pooh-Bah
1,872 posts

Posted:
That burned hand image is permanently etched into my psyche. it's one of those stupid accidents I might have had if I hadn't seen that photo.

Stainless steel is supposed to have a lower heat capacity/thermal conductivity than regular steel, so chain composition is worth considering as well as type.

KaelGotRiceGOLD Member
Basu gasu bakuhatsu - because sometimes buses explode
1,584 posts

Posted:
suibom is right.

I'd also recommend kevlar/leather gloves as well. at least thin ones, if you don't want to be crazy like NYC and do fire freehand wink

The problem is that any heated metal will sear your hand/skin instantly. So it's worth having any sort of barrier between your skin and the metal. It'll give you the split second to throw the poi off if you should ever screw up. And boy, have I screwed up, even with many hours of practice.

hug

To do: More Firedrums 08 video?

Wildfire/US East coast fire footage

LA/EDC glow/fire footage

Fresno fire

Suibomaddict
577 posts

Posted:
Written by:

heated metal will sear your hand/skin instantly. So it's worth having any sort of barrier between your skin and the metal. It'll give you the split second to throw the poi off if you should ever screw up.

I really need to heed that.. I've been doin a fair amount of spiral wraps with no protection recently. I've never come into a dangerous situation yet, and it's cold enough out here (low 30's and colder) that the chains remain fairly cool. But all it takes is one handcuff, and I can imagine the damage, specially now that we're heading out of winter...

BirdGOLD Member
6,086 posts

Posted:
Written by: stout

it's one of those stupid accidents I might have had if I hadn't seen that photo.

Glad to be of service! ubblol

Better that I make a tit of myself so that others can learn from my stupidity, than for other people to make the same mistake!

Zauberdachsenthusiast
220 posts

Posted:
Written by: Seye

I'm going to get some new fire poi BUT cant decide whether to get fine chain or ballchain. I do loads of wraps but have images of strings of spot burns from the ballchain.

Is that the case or does it not transfer heat that well.

Fine chain is probably more secure than ballchain. Ball chain has to be attachd by those flimsy ball connectors (i don't know what the name for them are) which are basically a thin bit of metal wrapped round the ball. Chain can at least be directly connected with quicklinks which are very strong smile

The insults of your enemy are a tribute to your bravery wink

KaelGotRiceGOLD Member
Basu gasu bakuhatsu - because sometimes buses explode
1,584 posts

Posted:
wraps are loads easier with ballchain from my experience.

So that's the issue, going for strength and tough wraps, or easy wraps and replacing every 6+ months.

I'm leaning towards the latter. It isn't bad with #15 SS ballchain.

To do: More Firedrums 08 video?

Wildfire/US East coast fire footage

LA/EDC glow/fire footage

Fresno fire

JayKittyGOLD Member
Mission: Ignition
534 posts

Posted:
I remember the first time i did wraps I was using home-made towel wicks wraps in metal gaardening wire. Looking back it wasn't the best idea, I still have the scars to prove it... and sear my skin it did, it looked like I had gashes all our my forarms.

Since then I've gotten kevlar sleeves and well as proper kevlar wicks as well as ball chain and I wrap the day away... well, the night mostly, but hey, it's still fun.

Don't mind me, just passing through.

L0s3r_r@v3rSILVER Member
enthusiast
274 posts

Posted:
hehe.. that burn looks yummy! biggrin anyway. i do lots of wraps with my ball and chain practice pair (yet to do fire do to lack of funds) they work wonders.. tho i think i have a bunch of bruses/scratches from then on my sholders O.o

You know what I'm thinking about right now? That's right, Tacos!

FireTomStargazer
6,650 posts

Posted:
Nice burn! How long did it hurt?...

My point is that no matter what, playing with fire sonner or later you get burned... it's like living without taking into account that it ends one day...

Ballchains are really not so much my fancy anymore, they have a funny behaviour when doing buzzsaw and stuff, they physically harm my fingertips... to an extent where spinning really gets uncomfi.

Wraps I haven't done too many, but have noticed that a longsleeve shirt helps a fair bit... wink I tend to keep the wraps more to the beginning of the performance, where screws and chain are not that hot yet - but with properly drained Poi (otherwise the longsleeve or pant may catch fire).. wink

the best smiles are the ones you lead to wink

L0s3r_r@v3rSILVER Member
enthusiast
274 posts

Posted:
I quite like the buzzsaw action from ball and chains tho. But that's just me.

You know what I'm thinking about right now? That's right, Tacos!