Forums > Videos > Beefy's video thread - Updated 4-3-06

Login/Join to Participate

i8beefy2GOLD Member
addict
674 posts

Posted:
This is actually a repost, as I linked to this video originally under the Ohio Burn Unit thread, but I decided to just start my own video thread to keep my personal videos of me playing around, etc. seperate from the group. So I'll put all my personal vids here now.

Update Beefy-outside 30 Mb's, beware. I actually got a sunny day to go outside and spin. Video includes some new special effects playing, some inversions slowed down real slow, and some first-of-the-season contact staffing... so don't judge it too harshly. Theres one messy editing part in the contact staff segment, but that was the ONLY MISTAKE... smile This will be more funny once you watch the video of course. We calls that "ground contact" ya see...

Update Beefy-working-2-small I promised something a LITTLE bit more artsy... and I needed practice working with Adobe Premier and VirtualDub and all that stuff. So I threw this together. It's not a whole lot of different stuff really, but it's properly edited with intro, credits, synchro'd music, etc. I'm proud... cause it took forever to figure out how to edit the $#@% thing... So watch it! smile Oh, it's 14 megs, MP4 (Divx), but should load pretty quick.

Beefy-working original - this sucker is 54 Megs, but really good quality

Beefy-working-small - a bit more reasonable, this one clocks in at about 8 or 9 megs, but quality suffers. But it is clear enough. AND it has music! just some DJ Icey song i found on my computer, but the vid needed something.

There's also a Quicktime version or two on the website movies gallery.

==

I've been playing with codecs trying to get the best compression for quality ratio. I think "beefy-working-small" is a bit too blury but I like the size. What is everyone else using for this? And what is the best program to convert / encode in said format? I have Adobe Premier, and I'm just starting to get into this video editing thing. smile

EDITED_BY: i8beefy2 (1144054657)

RobertBruceGOLD Member
63 posts

Posted:
Thanks,

Very interesting... do you do any glow stringing? Your style is fast paced and well suited to glow stringing... do you spin fire at that pace?

Well thanks again I like to see different styles.

Robert Bruce
Poi Geek, Technologie Freak. Montreal, Quebec Canada

DedphrogSILVER Member
50 posts

Posted:
holy censored.....ummm...drink less coffee! awsome throws man. that's almost getting to poi juggling rather than spinning. looks great!

i8beefy2GOLD Member
addict
674 posts

Posted:
Umm... well actually I didn't realize I spin that fast at all until I watched my own videos. smile I was just as surprised as you, hehe.

I don't glowstring... don't like em, too light. But my practice poi are very, very light and my upper body is rather strong, so that was the result. I am using much heavier chains and my actual monkey fists now to spin at a slower pace for isolations, etc. I have long poi I am using now too which allow me to slow down (those poi are rather short, but they look real impressive with all those tosses and such).

So no, I don't spin fire at that pace because my fire poi are much heavier so I can slow down. But because I can do everything I can do fast at a slower pace, being able to do it fast makes the rest of my spinning better. Besides, audiences like fast paced stuff for some reason... more excitement or something, so I can go really, really fast when I want to get a good cheer out of em without having to tone down the moves Im capable of doing at that speed. smile

Once my new handles get here and I build my new heavy poi, I'll make another slower video.

And um... I used DJ Icey for music because it was the only thing that was fast enough... haha. I actually prefer to spin slow. Next one, I swear, will be nice and slow, ok?

StoutBRONZE Member
Pooh-Bah
1,872 posts

Posted:
Nice video, I quite enjoyed it...strangely enough, it looked sort of normal when I played it at 1/2 speed.

Your style looked spontaneous (IMO) and even at those speeds you looked comfortable with your poi, I'm liking those 1/2 way down the chain catches and the instant buzzsaw size circles that they create. Everything looked fluid, even when you worked in those sametime BF patterns. not to mention those catches those catches that you just caught

You gotta love handwraps. do you do those with fire?

I saw you going low a few times, and I'll assume you couldn't go high with your spinning because of the ceiling,,that was a nice lower half of a flower at 1:14, did you plan on doing a full flower then realized you were indoors?

That's a great reach for it kinda catch at 0:34 & 2:30 those might even inspire me to experiment with actually releasing the poi on purpose wink

I hear what you're saying about audiences wanting to see fast spinning. At one point or another, all the members of our troupe have pooled non spinning audience members, asking them what they want to see and the overwhelming answer is fast spinning. I had one guy ( a professional dancer) say that it " looks more like you know what you're doing" We've made our show all fast spinning now with all the cheesy moves, and we even put out our toys when the flames start to die down,15 wet towels, all laid out.

Keep them comming, looking forward to more....David

i8beefy2GOLD Member
addict
674 posts

Posted:
Thanks stout. I don't have any set routines, so I guess strictly speaking my style IS spontaneous...

I do everything with my practice poi that I can do with my fire poi, including head grabs, etc. Gloves would make that easier I guess, but I can do em fast enough to not get burned (except for my hair on my hands of course...).

The reaches I liked too. Had no idea I had the cooredination to do em like that until I made the video actually... go figure.

I'm working with isolations not too, withy really heavy chains, so I'm purposly slowing myself down for making videos right now. Besides, the music selection is better with slow spinning smile

gingerboyBRONZE Member
2 posts

Posted:
Nice one!

Really liked watching it when you catch the poi while you're turning. Sort of dragging it into another spin...

About speed. I prefer to see a bit of variation. Yes, you can obviously do these moves slower, but maybe the slower you go, the more of your body you have to pay attention to for it feel right.

Ange_GSCGOLD Member
HOP's glowstick ambassador!!
128 posts

Posted:
I liked that, the throws were rather impressive. I really liked the speed and the interesting catches and throws in this.

Have you ever wanted to experiment with glowstick handle-switching techniques? I could imagine you doing them very well.

missegyptology: "I just remember beingall off balance and unicycling really fast down to campus and the arabic was all blurred on the page"

^When Linz pulls an all nighter before Arabic class^

i8beefy2GOLD Member
addict
674 posts

Posted:
My troupe recently got together with a bunch of spinners in Cincinnati, at which there were several video cameras. Hopefully there is some footage of me doing a half-way decent spin (though I didn't get into my groove until late in the night, so I'm not sure if there is going to be any decent footage of me, as the batteries tend to run out quickly during fire meets....). I think Rovo will get his footage together first, and then one of our friends has some as well that I might be able to get my hands on eventually.

Hehe... one video and everyone thinks I spin insanely fast, or I'm a glowsticker. smile The next one will be completely different style wise since I will be using MY poi instead of practice poi that are way too light.

RevBRONZE Member
Bastard Newbie Messiah
1,269 posts

Posted:
very nice beefy.. I was waiting for some wibbles with how fluid your throws were..

what kind of deal do you have that you can spin in a hotel like that.. I didnt see a nametag, so I didnt look like you worked there.. and I know if I got caught spinning at my wife's hotel (which has happened) I'd get reemed.. though when I worked the desk I sometimes spun anyway haha..

I don't really see why everyone thinks you are a glowstringer though.. *shrug*

More useless information courtesy of Rev...
Confusing the masses, one post at a time...
"Obviously, you're not a golfer.."- The Dude
"Buy the ticket... Take the ride..." -Raoul Duke
"FEMA has never done catastrophe planning..."-Michael Brown

i8beefy2GOLD Member
addict
674 posts

Posted:
Umm... a fairly sweet deal I suppose? hehe smile

I don't really use any "wibbles". They are just tap-backs, but I don't really incorporate them that much. Eh. Something different to consider adding in to my throw family of moves though I suppose next time.

You guys have me too intoxicated with inversions and insides at the moment though... And I still have to get anti-spin flowers down and atoms too... Luckily I just found a high ceilinged room at my Uni that happens to have a large wall of mirrors, and its empty all the time. So I have a nice new place to practice and get a good look at myself.

i8beefy2GOLD Member
addict
674 posts

Posted:
*BUMP* for my new vid. I figured out how to use Adobe Premier Effects, and put intros in, and all that! And then spent three days figuring out how to frameserver it out to Virtualdub and encoding it with ffdshow (which apparently only does 25 FPS videos, which meant redoing it five times to get it to compile it right...).

I am giddy with nerdy technical delight at having conquered it though. smile The video is more artsy, as I actually am spinning to the sound track. I throw in some isolations, a new throw or two, and a few other things, but its not incredibly new. Now that I have this under my belt I'll throw together a nice video with my new inversions, atoms, and my new glowpoi I just got (that make atoms look flippin sweet bein two different colors and all).

cheers!

StoutBRONZE Member
Pooh-Bah
1,872 posts

Posted:
Good looking vid there Beefy smile It blows up to full screen quite nicely.

I'm liking the vertical stall ( ever consider reaching behind your right leg with your left foot and giving the poi a little kick? ) Pendulum work is sweet too, though maybe just a little too "rushed"

Kudos for slowing your speed down, I could see it took effort, but it sure paid off.

i8beefy2GOLD Member
addict
674 posts

Posted:
Talking about speed... I'm shooting with a crappy little photo-camera (15 FPS)... When I spin staff in front of it on a sunny day (like today in North Eastern Ohio) it looks like the staff is teleporting in between positions. smile

For that matter so do the poi... Hmm. Maybe I'll throw a little funny video together with it just to demonstrate my magical teleporting toy skills... hehe.

Which is sad too... finally got a beautiful background to shoot in front of on a nice day, pulled out some inversions and atomics (which I havn't made any vids of yet) and the footage isn't that good because I only have a crappy little photo camera... Grr... I'm gonna have to steal my girlfriend's mom's camera sometime for some decent footage it looks like.