Forums > Social Chat > Why why why dont u pepole like it tell me please

Login/Join to Participate

Fyre_Elfnewbie
12 posts

Posted:
Why dont hop ppl like fire breathing whats wrong with it i never knew so many ppl hated it untill i came to hop confused hate is such a strong word i dont like it very much frown
EDITED_BY: Fyre_Elf (1140070815)

SpinningTrippingFlippingFyreFrog

fNiGOLD Member
master of disaster
3,354 posts

Posted:
here was a discussion about a year ago:

[Old link]

also, have you looked at the page that the term fire breathing takes you to?
EDITED_BY: fireNice (1140071751)

kyrian: I've felt your finger connect with me many times
lou kitten: sneaky little meatball..
ezz: please corrupt me more

MedusaSILVER Member
veteran
1,433 posts

Posted:
I don't think it is that we all dislike it as such it is just that we want people to know how much of a risk it is before they go and try it out.

it is better to tell people all the dangers so they know what they are getting themselves in for.

Fire Breathing is the most dangerous of all fire arts....the fuel you put in your mouth has a lot of side effects that can cause a lot of pain.

Fine_Rabid_DogInternet Hate Machine
10,530 posts

Posted:
Oh, I don't "don't like it". I reckon it looks kick ass. Its just the risks. Oh god, the risks. Scary stuff.

The existance of flamethrowers says that someone, somewhere, at sometime said "I need to set that thing on fire, but it's too far away."

GnorBRONZE Member
Carpal \'Tunnel
5,814 posts

Posted:
I agree wholeheartedly with HOPs stance of

Written by:

Home of Poi and Pele do not endorse fire breathing

I would rather firebreathing pics and threads werent included at all as to me it glorifies it even further, but the constant mention of firebreathing and the hazards allows the site to educate on the risks of firebreathing rather than brush the risks aside. Each time its mentioned I believe it allows it to pop up on firebreathing search engines. Therefore reaching more people. Firebreathing is a large part of many fire communities but is also being excluded from other like Moonfest in Queensland where there is a no firebreathing rule.

By having cool pics it grabs attention to it....then theoretically will grab attention to the risks.

this HOP information page gives the risks and ways to minimise the risk of injury or death.

...so I am agreeing with Medusa..strange that wink

Is it the Truth?
Is it Fair to all concerned?
Will it build Goodwill and Better Friendships?
Will it be Beneficial to all concerned?

Im in a lonely battle with the world with a fish to match the chip on my shoulder. Gnu in Binnu in a cnu

shoshanahSILVER Member
enthusiast
232 posts

Posted:
i would love to try it just once so i can say to myself i did it.i have read the dangers and have respect for any one brave enough to take it up. i wouldnt do it more than once im to scared to take it up.

life is what you make it and what you want it to be

LurchBRONZE Member
old hand
929 posts

Posted:
Yay! *gives gnor a cookie*

I don't have a problem with it. I have a problem with people doing it who don't understand it, or without understanding the risks involved. That said HoP doesn't condone it, and moderatly condemn it, but I'm glad they still share the information. I'd much rather people learn about it around here from people who know, than from their friend who knows a guy who saw a guy blow fire once.

#homeofpoi -- irc.newnet.net Come talk to us we're bored frown

Warning: Please Do Not Jump On The Seals

GnorBRONZE Member
Carpal \'Tunnel
5,814 posts

Posted:
mm...cookies.....

Is it the Truth?
Is it Fair to all concerned?
Will it build Goodwill and Better Friendships?
Will it be Beneficial to all concerned?

Im in a lonely battle with the world with a fish to match the chip on my shoulder. Gnu in Binnu in a cnu

newgabeSILVER Member
what goes around comes around. unless you're into stalls.
4,030 posts

Posted:
...and Uberoz where we had a no fire breathing rule. And my PoolFire parties where we have a no fire breathing rule...

you might pick up from this that I don't like it or admire it. I notice and am glad that the most seriously skillful spinners I know, and admire, do not have to resort to it to beef up their acts.

I also noticed that all the people who try it at Moonfest are teenage lads.

And I think that having pics here of apparently respected people doing it with 'Fire Breathing is dangerous' written underneath keys in exactly to the young man/teenage psyche; makes it look even more alluring.

Like *It's cool and I think it is attractive and I can do it/used to do it but you shouldn't*

Which sounds like a dare or challenge to that group: to whom the adrenalin rush, danger, is the 'forbidden fruit' they want even more cos they 'shouldn't have it'

Having said that I am very glad that Fire Breathing = warning is all over HoP. Because then we have a good resource to steer people to for comprehensive information.

.....Can't juggle balls but I sure as hell can juggle details....

SethisBRONZE Member
Pooh-Bah
1,762 posts

Posted:
Written by: newgabe

Like *It's cool and attractive and I can do but you shouldn't* Which sounds like a dare or challenge to people to whom looking cool, the adrenalin rush, danger, is the 'forbidden fruit' they want even more cos they 'shouldn't have it'

Isn't that the underlying aesthetic of Fire Spinning itself? umm

Possibly the most oft asked question is "Isn't it really dangerous?" and when I say "Not if you know what you're doing" then it seems to generate a lot of respect/admiration that I can stand in the firestorm and not get hurt.

I don't see how it's any different to Fire Breathing. There's still the danger, still the rush, and of course, everyone loves Fire!

After much consideration, I find that the view is worth the asphyxiation.
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
I may disagree with what you have to say, but I will defend to the death your right to say it.

newgabeSILVER Member
4,030 posts

Posted:
Crikey Sethis, what are you spinning!! and how!!

I have found a few differences...

I don't put poisonous fuel in my mouth when fire spinning.

I have the flames a few feet away from my body, and have practised some moves that keep it there.

And I wouldn't really call a couple of wicks a firestorm. umm

Spinning Snakes look more *stormy* but we know it's an optical illusion...

But yes, it is amusing how easily impressed the public is with a bit of fire eh... ya can do all sorts of snazzies wth the glowies (that can knock yr block off or take a tooth out) and people read a book but light up a bit of fluff and people go OOOOH wow, THAT must be HARD!!!! ubblol

Some mates did a bit of freestylin in the interval of the Crusty Demons of DIrt (who flinging themselves at high speeds at mad stuff on motorbikes hehe) One of the riders came up after and said Wow man, isn;t that dangerous eek

DaizBRONZE Member
Radioactive Member
106 posts

Posted:
Who says we don't like it? I LOVE IT!!!!!

I'm gonna cut you up so bad, you gonna wish I ain't cut you up so bad.

Fyre_Elfnewbie
12 posts

Posted:
Yes i do agree with you's ppl do need to know the dangers of fire breathing i know a silly little boy who was fire breathing at 14 not knowing a thing about all the risks that come from it. I look back on that now and think if i knew the dangers of breathing i probley wouldent have tried it in the first place

SpinningTrippingFlippingFyreFrog

pricklyleafSILVER Member
with added berries
1,365 posts

Posted:
I think that you also have to remember that many people on here, know people who have been seriously injured or even died because of Fire Breathing.

Its not so much that we hate fire breathing, but we care about other people, ones who we may or may not know, and don't wan them to get hurt.

Live like there is no tomorrow,
dance like nobody is watching
and hula hoop like wiggling will save the world.

“What lies behind us and what lies before us are tiny matters compared to what lies within us.”

Ralph Waldo Emerson

FoxInDocsSILVER Member
Pooh-Bah
1,848 posts

Posted:

I had a couple of friends who used to do it. They apparently didn't know the risks, becuse they stopped once I told them about Pele's article, they didn't even need to read it themselves. I can only assume they hadn't even considered what they were putting in their mouths in their efforts to look cool.

(And admitedly it did look cool, I just really don't like them doing it, especially when there's no trained first-aiders around)

"i am exotic, and must keep my arms down" - Rougie

"i don't understand what penises have to do with getting married" - Foxie

newgabeSILVER Member
4,030 posts

Posted:
Well said Pricklyleaf.

MikeGinnyGOLD Member
HOP Mad Doctor
13,925 posts

Posted:
I'll put it simply.

We don't like it because it damned near killed Pele, FireMike, and Dangerboy.

And none of the three were exactly inexperienced amateurs at it, either.

-Mike

Certified Mad Doctor and HoP High Priest of Nutella

A buckuht n a hooze! -Valura

JayKittyGOLD Member
Mission: Ignition
534 posts

Posted:
I've been considering doing a breath eventually. I've been breathing in the shower everyday. Real breathing scares the poo out of me, Pele's interview really got through to me. I'm kinda having more fun in the shower anyway, yeah I'll stick to that.

The skill isn't wasted though. Aspirating a liquid is very useful when you're surprised while drinking something ^_^

Don't mind me, just passing through.

newgabeSILVER Member
4,030 posts

Posted:
ubblol

I need to do fruit salad breathing then. Nearly had a nasty turn when reading that!

MedusaSILVER Member
veteran
1,433 posts

Posted:
We had one of our friends faces going up in flames while fire breathing and he had been doing it for years...

He was so damn lucky to be okay but it has definitely put me off fire breathing for life and I try to convince people I meet who want to do it not to by telling them the dangers....then if they really really still want to do it I take them to the best fire breather I know and get him to teach them the spray technique (I have never fire breathed so I don't know the whole technique behind it) with water first!

PyroWillGOLD Member
HoP's Barman. Trapped aged 6 months
4,437 posts

Posted:
I agree with the grapevine, Its certainly not that we hate fire breathing, I think its spectacular to watch, when I see someone doing it at a show I dont think oh what an idiot. We just want people to know all the risks and try to let them see that when you weigh up the pro's and cons

Con's:
A. Death
B. Severe burns
C. Cancer
D. Dental Problems
E. Stomach and tissue ulcers
F. Fuel Poisoning
G. Chemical Pnuemonia or Acute Respiratory Distress
H. Dry Cough
I. Headache, dizziness, drunken ill feeling
J. Nausea, diarrhea, vomiting, stomach ache
K. Dry mouth/ Cotton Mouth
L. Dry skin and topical heat burns

Pro's:
Looks good

It really doesnt weigh up, and is it worth the risk, if you think so, then go do it, but...each to their own

hug

An eye for an eye only ends up making the whole world blind

Give a man a fish and he'll eat 4 a day hit a man with a brick and you can have all his fish and his wife

"Will's to pretty for prison" - Simian

TinklePantsGOLD Member
Clique Infiltrator, Cunning Linguist and Master Debator
4,219 posts

Posted:
I DON'T WANNA DIE!!!!

I just wanna singe myself here and there...

Always use "so's your face" and "only on Tuesdays" in as many conversations possible