Forums > Social Discussion > what was you first time like?

Login/Join to Participate

DedphrogSILVER Member
50 posts

Posted:
(I think this is the right thread for this)

I'm just courious about this. What was it like the first time you lit your poi? How long had you been spinning at the time? Did you actually have some idea of the ways to be safe about it?

Bender_the_OffenderGOLD Member
still can't believe it's not butter
6,978 posts

Posted:
my first time with fire poi was loving and gentle. had to cure it first, which eventually turned out to be no difference personally.

my first time performing a search on a discussion topic covered before was adventuresome and full of Vitamin B, which by conincidence is also the case with Vegemite! mmm yeast speads = yum yum!

how many times a day do you eat vegemite Dedphrog? ..no wait, don't answer yet, i can clearly tell that you still need to finish that delish* vegemite sandwich that you are surely indulging in right now....
:drools:

Laugh Often, Smile Much, Post lolcats Always

Gremlin_Loumember
131 posts

Posted:
My first experience with firestaff was, shamefully, on a drunked night out and involved a lot of vodka!

I had been practicing with a glorified broom handle for a few weeks and had bought a really crappy firestaff (that I didn't hae any intention of lighting), and then went to a bar a friend owns in bury, who decided lighting it was a good idea. We were all drunk, and it was a bar, so vodka was the first fuel we used, that failed miserably, so Fox went to the shop and we got lighter fluid.....

Itkinda went on from there, in the end, she employed us to work for her Thursday and Saturdays to get business up smile

'If your deeds shouldn't be known, perhaps they shouldn't be done, if your words shouldn't be shared, perhaps they shouldn't be spoken. Act with attention, for all your acts have consequences" (Rabbi Judah HaNassi)

Tom_ShillSILVER Member
enthusiast
213 posts

Posted:
Mine was at Poi in the Park in December. I'd been spinning for 3 or 4 months and I'd only taken a pair of led poi down as I didn't have any fire ones and didn't expect to be spinning any. But after a while Tim asked if I'd spun fire before and if I'd like to, so I did. It was amazing. I was really struck by how remote from everything it makes me feel. I've said before in another thread that I find fire quite meditative: more or less every sense is taken up with spinning, what with the noise and light and smell and everything. So yeah it was cool. Safety-wise I was with a few experienced people so it was all very supportive. An all round positive experience smile

Will those capable of telekinesis please raise my hand?

DedphrogSILVER Member
50 posts

Posted:
That's about what I was thinking. I already "go to my own world" while spinning sometimes...I can just immagin that everything else must dissapear when you light up. *sigh*...sooner or later I'll try it.
EDITED_BY: Dedphrog (1140291924)

Suibomaddict
577 posts

Posted:
My first fire spin was just over a month ago, Jan11.. I had been spinning sock since about September. It was great fun.. I lit my clothes on fire right off, and that got me over the fear of accidental fuel transfer pretty quick. Was very comfortable with the fire on that first spin... second fire spin was about half a week later in a bar in front of an audience.. bwah, quite amusing that. But alot of fun..
My adventures are semi-chronicled here:
https://people.tribe.net/suibom/blog

Definition of poi- A Hawaiian food made from the tuber of the taro that is cooked, pounded to a paste, and fermented.

Ahnold discussing poi - "It is naht a toober!"

phosphojesusnewbie
14 posts

Posted:
The first time I ever did fire poi I had been spinning tailed poi for six months, the last month of which me and a few friends had been taking lessons from a cool dude with a mohawk called si, or psy, or whatever.

After, ermmm, about 4 weeks 'ish we were invited to try fire poi for the first time, when the call for who would be first went up I was the only one, out of four, that volounteered themselves.

And I did the best spinning I had ever done!!

I pulled off a perfect fountain having only learnt it half an hour beforehand, and even a alternate butterfly 360, (which still eludes my friends much to my amusement!)

As if magically spurred on by the flames!!

I was not afraid of the fire at all, and never have been. Although I have not been able to set myself on fire or burn myself yet so theres still time!

Having seen me so excited, my friend sophie was up next. she was a lot more careful, only trying weaves and butterflies and refusing flatly to do anything behind her back. And scweeching every time the poi came a little too close.

After we all had a go on the fire poi, si says,

"who's up for doubles?"

I was like

"ME!"

so I did double heads on my second burn ever aswell!

no one else in our qaurtet was daring enough to try the doubles because they were tired, thats what they said but really they were just afraid!

now I have my own doubles and they rock, I would post some photos but I havent bought anything from HOP yet.

Jesus

According to the philosopher Ly Tin Wheedle, chaos is to be found in it's greatest abundance wherever order is sought. It always defeats order, because it is better organised.

Mr MajestikSILVER Member
coming to a country near you
4,696 posts

Posted:
OMG.........refrains from profanity.......

i swear i'll never open one of these threads again.

"but have you considered there is more to life than your eyelids?"

jointly owned by Fire_Spinning_Angel and Blu_Valley

Fire Taigermember
105 posts

Posted:
i had only been spinning a day when i first tryed. i was so excited i made my own poi from dog chains and an old bath towel. OMFG, it was better than sex.

The quest for poi perfection may bring much enlightenment...
and burns
OOUUUUCCCHHHHIIIEEEEE!!!!!!!!!

ducky2108A little bit of a board whore
147 posts

Posted:
I've just had mine. It was fun, but when I first started spinning them round, all I could remember was the weave. Ridiculous. It's been a while since I've been near fire though, and I'd forgotten all about the wonderful smell and noise.

Swoosh

Ancient wiseman say "It is very strange person, who, when left alone in room with teacosy, does not try it on"

afghan_bingoSILVER Member
116 posts

Posted:
my first fire spin was on my 18th birthday. id gotten some kevvlar for my birthday so constructed myself a staff (which is still with me to this day, and i love it!) id been spinng for a few months prior to this so thought i was about ready. unbeknown to me my mate gave me a litre of petrol for my birthday (best present ive ever had!) i was pretty wasted but thought what the hell.
As i hadnt done it before nor did i know anyone else who done it i wasnt aware of burn off techniques and the like so when i lit up i had huge fireballs on either end and when i span i was gettin drops on unlit petty splashing my face , luckily i didnt ignite, it was quite a humbling experience and i havent looked back.

we were somewhere near barstow, on the edge of the desert, when the drugs began to take hold...

CrazyHippyChickSILVER Member
errrrrr what?
198 posts

Posted:
oh your first time spinning!! god i have a dirty mind

I'll come back as fire and burn all the liars and leave a blanket of ashes on the ground.
I could write the new bridget jones diary only mine would be more bizarre, funnier, dirtier more unbelievabe and bloody true!