ducky2108A little bit of a board whore
147 posts

Posted:
I've done the search, and unless I've missed it, I don't think this has been covered.

What I'm basically after is advice for when you're first starting out doing contact staff. I've looked on Meg's wonderful website, and whilst the videos are great, there's no general advice.

So, how do I do it. I just can't get my head around what my body should be doing and what the staff should be doing.

I have a nicely weighted staff, and I realise I will get bruised. It can't be any worse that after my attepmts at the monkey fist fire meteor and my shins

Many thanks and much love

Paul

Ancient wiseman say "It is very strange person, who, when left alone in room with teacosy, does not try it on"

SeyeSILVER Member
Geek
1,261 posts

Posted:
Be prepared to spend a lot of time picking your staff up.

Thats about as much as I can offer at this time...

ado-pGOLD Member
Pirate Ninja
3,882 posts

Posted:
elo ducky smile

I've always wanted to say that ubblol

Anyway, back to the serious business of learning contact.

First off. I dont think there is anything you 'should' be doing... You've seen megs site so you have a fair idea about what contact is about by now... Did you download this?

https://meghan.tepookatoys.com/Staff.pdf

Its got all the advice i could write for the rest of this post. Theres also a thread by Dentrassi (dont have time to look for it right now...) that has the monster list of everything you could need in a text based world. Its in the staff forum... somewhere...

The only adivce i can give you oyher than that is just to pick a starting point. in fact, pick a plane... Horizontal or Vertical. The pick a move... i'd recommend a Halo (or back roll) for vertical and a Neck Wrap for horizontal.

On top of that. All the basic basics. Arm rolls. Shoulder rolls. Hand Rolls and any other part of your body that can accomodate rolls. smile Contact isnt any one thing. Almost every move is a combination of the 5 moves i just listed.... and by themselves all of them are learnable with a minimum of injury or apoplexy

And you could always try what i do for fun with contact these days. forget about planes, moves and looking good. just throw the staff at a part of your body and try to keep your body/arms/legs under it no matter what. With out grabbing it. It really helps me unwind from the frustration of learning contact and it really helps me to get to know the physics of what im doing. Like where it will balance, roll, slide, fall, burn and all the rest...

And questions... ask lots of questions no matter how simple or complex you think it might sound. I started my own thread. Just for questions... and i learned an incredible amount from the answers i got...

Love is the law.

147 posts

Posted:
No. I'd not downloaded that, but it looks incredibly useful. Thanks for that. Also, thanks to Seye for the advice smile

I might have to print out that PDF and take it to juggling club tonight. I might try and nail the Halo Roll tonight. Or at least start trying to do it.

Thanks guys. Keep it coming.

Ancient wiseman say "It is very strange person, who, when left alone in room with teacosy, does not try it on"

SeyeSILVER Member
Geek
1,261 posts

Posted:
My first few 'tricks' have been halo rolls, fishtails, fishtail to elbow, etc.
(I'm also quite good at smacking myself in the face and throwing the staff on the floor wink )

Instead of tricks try to think in terms of contact points. Thats what I've discovered.
Essentially you want the staff to roll across you rather than forcing it so just think where you have to move to to get a part of your body underneath it.

Watch many of meg's video's.
Also look out for strugz & durbs old video's on https://www.soton-firespinning.co.uk.

As Ado-p said - throw staff at body - watch where it goes - try to get under it.

mcpPLATINUM Member
Flying Water Muppet
5,276 posts

Posted:

best way to learn? Come to edinburgh!

"the now legendary" - Kaskade
"the still legendary" - Kaskade

I spunked in my friend's aquarium and the fish ate it. I love all fish. Especially the pink ones. They are my bitches. - Anon.

ado-pGOLD Member
Pirate Ninja
3,882 posts

Posted:

why bother going all the way to ed when i can have a little electronic version of you captice in my pc right here at home... smile

Dance monkey. Dance!!!

ps, i downloaded your 'center of rotation' vid today. sweeeett smile

now dance!!!!

Love is the law.

147 posts

Posted:
Do you know how much it costs to get to Edinburgh. Do you know how little money I have. Maybe in April, I'll get through, or the last Sunday in March, if you still have those Meadow meets, as I'm through that weekend anyway. Although, I will probably be a bit hungover.

mcpPLATINUM Member
Flying Water Muppet
5,276 posts

Posted:
£2.50 on the megabus? 5.20 on stagecoach, and 8.20 on the train. It's not really that much, even I can afford, and I don't have a job...

Or get mike / why3000 to drive you...

I spunked in my friend's aquarium and the fish ate it. I love all fish. Especially the pink ones. They are my bitches. - Anon.

147 posts

Posted:
Yeah, it can be cheap, but then also there's the fact that I work in the afternoons, and I have to get back the same night. And, I've not really looked into the timetables, and when the last trains are. Any idea how long the megabus takes, and what's the last time it runs?

147 posts

Posted:
Just to report, I'm just back from the juggling club, and was trying to do the halo roll.

Now, the picking up of the staff I don't mind, and the getting hit I can cope with, but when I got hit between the eyes and in the nadgers at the same time (don't ask), well, that really took the biscuit. I had to have five minutes out for that one.
EDITED_BY: ducky2108 (1140041292)

mcpPLATINUM Member
Flying Water Muppet
5,276 posts

Posted:
amazing. I have built in safety glasses for that. But glasses do mean you can get hit on the nose and behind the ear simultaneously, while not being hit at all... No fair.

I haven't looked up megabus yet. I'll check it out tomo. Last bus back from glasgow on the weekend is 3am. Could be the same for ed. more likely it's around 11. plenty of time to go to juggling and stuff.

Maybe I will be in glasgow soon anyway. There no weekend spinning meet there?

DentrassiGOLD Member
ZORT!
3,045 posts

Posted:
Written by: ado-p

Theres also a thread by Dentrassi (dont have time to look for it right now...) that has the monster list of everything you could need in a text based world. Its in the staff forum... somewhere...

you mean [Old link] I guess. Havent updated it for a while, and not sure what links still work, but it should still give you a bit of a start

E ubbrollsmile

"Here kitty kitty...." - Schroedinger.

147 posts

Posted:
Thanks Dentrassi. The link did work, so I've bumped it to stop it disappearing for a little while.

Meg, I'm not really sure. I think Holly(Pricklyleaf) mentioned that sometimes they get together in the park on a sunday, but that's more when the weather is a bit better. However, I think this is just the glasgow juggling club getting together outside the normal wednesday meets, and I've only come across a couple of other Staffers, and we're all looking to get into contact. As with most of Scotland, even though Glasgow is the far superior and bigger city, everything is once again centred on Edinburgh (there is a hint of irony in that statement by the way). That, and I've not seen Holly in a couple of weeks (she's probably got lots of coursework or something), so I can't ask her.

Maybe I shall have to be (with Gav) a guiding light in getting Glasgow up to speed with the finer points of smacking youself in the face with a big stick (as opposed to smacking others)

mcpPLATINUM Member
Flying Water Muppet
5,276 posts

Posted:
Yeah Gav's a keen boy. He should quit with all this poi malarky and just do staff thou...

Well, might come over and visit glasgow juggling again sometime.

You feel that way about glasgow? Ha, thee's so much more that we have to put up with! We ARE the capital city, but sometimes we aren't even on the weather report! (but like glasgow and aberdeen are, ABERDEEN!) The megabus from london goes to glasgow... ? You're got more clubs, better nightlife and just more stuff than we do!

147 posts

Posted:
I know all that. But everything seems centred on the Capital. Have you watched the news? Nothing bad every happens in Edinburgh, because all the crimes happen in Glasgow (and bizzarly, Dundee). I agree whole heartedly about the nightlife though.

I still miss Edinburgh though. Just not all the bloody tourists.

mo-sephenthusiast
523 posts

Posted:
Maybe you guys should club together and pay megs expenses (which are a lot, in terms of hair products) to come over to glasgow and do a workshop... wink

monkeys ate my brain

147 posts

Posted:
I think I still have a photo somewhere of when Meg's hair was straightened one New Year. Boy, did that look odd.

Would the expenses have to cover the cost of Hair Straighteners.

mcpPLATINUM Member
Flying Water Muppet
5,276 posts

Posted:
yes, especially because you wouldn't learn anything because your laughter muscles would explode on sight of me and you need those muscles to live.

mcpPLATINUM Member
Flying Water Muppet
5,276 posts

Posted:
oops, this post was in the wrong place...
EDITED_BY: mcp (1140128139)

pricklyleafSILVER Member
with added berries
1,365 posts

Posted:
Written by: ducky2108

Just to report, I'm just back from the juggling club, and was trying to do the halo roll.

Now, the picking up of the staff I don't mind, and the getting hit I can cope with, but when I got hit between the eyes and in the nadgers at the same time (don't ask), well, that really took the biscuit. I had to have five minutes out for that one.

Sorry I missed that! ubblol

Yes, I have been away due to illness and interviews down in Manchester, but I will be back this week, I'll even bring my staff (even if I can't really do anything with it!). I'll have to make do until I can finally get my hat smile

The Sunday sessions are slowley starting to materialise, more of a case of it being me Andy and Sarah, although all the polish guys were there a couple of weeks ago by coincidence. As it gets warmer, Kirsty and Miles might start coming along again.

Also, one of these days I'll get through to Edinburgh, every single time I've tried somethings come up, last time I had to give a poi lesson that had to be postponed from Tuesday due to rain.

One of these days. rolleyes

Live like there is no tomorrow,
dance like nobody is watching
and hula hoop like wiggling will save the world.

“What lies behind us and what lies before us are tiny matters compared to what lies within us.”

Ralph Waldo Emerson

147 posts

Posted:
Well, Just to update you all, I took on board all of your advice, and finally found a computer to watch Meg's vids on. And you know what, I think I've cracked the Halo roll. I really do. Admittedly, my planes are a bit shoddy at the minute, but other than that.

I have taken my very own first steps into the wonderful world of Contact

[/smug]