Forums > Beginner Poi Moves > The "what the crap is this move" thread

Login/Join to Participate

fieMember
15 posts

Posted:
https://video.google.com/videoplay?docid=-7450704966427547019&q=poi

What is this?
I can't figure it out and I don't know what it's called.

ImbalanceGOLD Member
not different, just not the same
263 posts

Posted:
welp, first of all, lets have a look at the title of the video....:D . He is demonstrating Isolations. when you move your hand in a circle following the poi (but half a circle behind) thereby changing the center of rotation.

soooo if you picture a clock. imagine your hand is at 12, and the poi head is at 6. then your hand moves to 1, and the poi head to 7, hand goes to 2, poi to 8 then 3-9 then 4-10 and so on for a full circle. The center of rotation becomes the center of the clock.

Do a search for isolations. theres TONS of info and what not out there. Also I'm sure someone will link that cool flash app from spherculism that shows an isolation.

I once learned every move that there was,
Every style, Every technique.
Then I woke up, and forgot it all,
So now I struggle to dream.

KaelGotRiceGOLD Member
Basu gasu bakuhatsu - because sometimes buses explode
1,584 posts

Posted:
oh wow that video is so shoddily done.

I need to redo it.

XD

To do: More Firedrums 08 video?

Wildfire/US East coast fire footage

LA/EDC glow/fire footage

Fresno fire

UCOFSILVER Member
15,417 posts

Posted:
ubblol

BC Calc? umm

DrudwynForget puppy power, Scrappy's just gay
632 posts

Posted:
mmmm pre christian differential equations!

Spin, bounce, be one with the world, because it is yours to enjoy...

Suibomaddict
577 posts

Posted:
Ok.. Howzabout this.. In Yuta's well known video, at about 4:35 he does a wall plane butterfly flower thing.. Would that be called a "wall plane butterfly flower" or does it have some other name?

Definition of poi- A Hawaiian food made from the tuber of the taro that is cooked, pounded to a paste, and fermented.

Ahnold discussing poi - "It is naht a toober!"

RevBRONZE Member
Bastard Newbie Messiah
1,269 posts

Posted:
you need to watch that again... he does a butterfly buzzsaw flower.. not a wallplane butterfly flower.. and in the event that it were a wallplane butterfly flower.. that's what you'd call it... not some nonsense like bobbie's bubbly wonder or some of the other cra that gets thrown around. ubblol

More useless information courtesy of Rev...
Confusing the masses, one post at a time...
"Obviously, you're not a golfer.."- The Dude
"Buy the ticket... Take the ride..." -Raoul Duke
"FEMA has never done catastrophe planning..."-Michael Brown

ImbalanceGOLD Member
not different, just not the same
263 posts

Posted:
but but..."bobby's bubbly wonderful floopsidaisy spin" was the name of the BRAND NEW move I just INVENTED. dangit rev....... always bringing us down with all the logic and sense making. sheesh.

I once learned every move that there was,
Every style, Every technique.
Then I woke up, and forgot it all,
So now I struggle to dream.

Suibomaddict
577 posts

Posted:
Because the poi moves to the outside of the hands I didn't think it was buzzsaw, but to argue the point I'd have to pull out the 20lb Rev's Book of Poi Terminology Referendum, Encyclopedic Version.. and my brain just doesn't want to do that right now. biggrin

Definition of poi- A Hawaiian food made from the tuber of the taro that is cooked, pounded to a paste, and fermented.

Ahnold discussing poi - "It is naht a toober!"

fieMember
15 posts

Posted:
Written by: KaelGotRice

oh wow that video is so shoddily done.

I need to redo it.

XD

LOL! :>
I messaged you on myspace to try to talk to you about that video
I messed around with it for about 30 minutes but couldn't get it. But I figured out hyperloops or hyperwraps.. weave+airwrap.. whatever

pricklyleafSILVER Member
with added berries
1,365 posts

Posted:
mmm, it's a bit difficult to make out, but that doesn't look like a buzzsaw flower to me either. I thik its just a butterfly which is then moved into different take out positions. I guess it is a bit like a flower, however normally flowers are a series of compound circles going round a larger one, in each individual flower the poi move round a circle in the same direction, in this move they change direction, going from left to right following an oval.

Maybe we should ask Yuta to christen it. Although I'm sure someone whos more techie than me, may know a name for it.

Live like there is no tomorrow,
dance like nobody is watching
and hula hoop like wiggling will save the world.

“What lies behind us and what lies before us are tiny matters compared to what lies within us.”

Ralph Waldo Emerson

StoutBRONZE Member
Pooh-Bah
1,872 posts

Posted:
O.K.,, got the Yuta move. the key is in the antispin. it's basically a giant butterfly with some extra circles thrown in, but the arms move in antispin. I tried it last night and ended up in positions that are worthy of a yoga studio, but when I revisited the video again today ( I have it on a 50 inch HDTV, playing in a constant loop, and have had for months wink ) I noticed that his arms never cross.

I like this move,,, thanks for pointing it out Sui, I'll drill this one over the next few days.