Forums > Help! > Obtaining Everclear and Petroleum Ether

Login/Join to Participate

Jahannannewbie
3 posts

Posted:
I just figured you guys might have a good idea as to where I can find these two chemicals. It's not for poi or firebreathing, so you don't need to bother with any safety lectures (I don't even have any fire toys yet, still waiting on one of my friends who makes fire staves to get around to it).

Oh, and one stipulation: I want 100% pure Petroleum Ether. White Fluid (I think that's the name) and Coleman's Camping Fluid aren't suitable, as they have contaminants present.

Everclear is probably pretty freaking simple to get, I just need to find out where.

Help, anybody?

DedphrogSILVER Member
50 posts

Posted:
Not sure where you're located at, but most liquer stores will carry everclear, as far as the Petroleum Ether....I'd try looking up a comercial chemical supplier*shrug*

Jahannannewbie
3 posts

Posted:
I'm located in Christchurch, New Zealand.

ducky2108A little bit of a board whore
147 posts

Posted:
I know that you can get pet. ether from chemical suppliers. SigmaAldrich supply lots of chemicals to industry and university chemistry departments. Not sure it'll be cheap though.

Ancient wiseman say "It is very strange person, who, when left alone in room with teacosy, does not try it on"

DutSILVER Member
lurker
380 posts

Posted:
if you have listerine or other high-alcohol mouthwashes there, you can fill ice cube trays with it, wait for the water to freeze and pour off the alcohol on top. hell, it might work even better with cheap vodkas too. slightly less water to freeze off wink

-- dut

flash fireBRONZE Member
Sporadically Prodigal
2,758 posts

Posted:
What do you want it for?

*paranoid about sleeper cells*

HoP Posting Guidelines
Is it the Truth?
Is it Fair to all concerned?
Will it build Goodwill and Better Friendships?
Will it be Beneficial to all concerned?
If you can answer YES to these 4 questions then you may post a reply.

Jahannannewbie
3 posts

Posted:
Do you need to have any form of chemical licence to receive goods from Sigma Aldrich? I would have thought there'd be some kind of problem, since Petroleum Ether burns and boils at very low temperatures.

The reason I need it is because I'm making a tincture of various herbs (primarily ginseng), to see if I can successfully create a tincture that could be watered down and sold as a health-conscious alternative to standard energy-RTDs. The reason I need Petroleum Ether is that many of the herbs require "defatting" in order to absorb the correct parts of the herb rather than the parts that would potentially contaminate the final tincture.

ducky2108A little bit of a board whore
147 posts

Posted:
I'm not sure. You could check the website, but I don't think so. Also, I don't think the website has prices on it, although I may be wrong.

https://www.sigmaaldrich.com/Area_of_Interest/Asia__Pacific_Rim/New_Zealand.html

I think you said you were in NZ.

Also, just for the record, There is no one boiling point for Pet. Ether. When you purchase it, you purchase the one with the size of alkane chains you need to fit the range you want it to boil at. Yes, you can get it with a boilsing point of forty degrees, but you can also get it with a boiling point of 120.

Also (i've just remembered this), Please note that Sigma's chemicals (and most other chemical suppliers) aren't seen as suitable in use for medical applications or drug preparations. If you do want medical grade pet. ether though, it will cost you an absolute fortune.
EDITED_BY: ducky2108 (1140087075)

Ancient wiseman say "It is very strange person, who, when left alone in room with teacosy, does not try it on"

StoneGOLD Member
Stream Entrant
2,829 posts

Posted:
ginseng cough!

If we as members of the human race practice meditation, we can transcend our fear, despair, and forgetfulness. Meditation is not an escape. It is the courage to look at reality with mindfulness and concentration. Thich Nhat Hanh

squarefishSILVER Member
(...trusty steed of the rodeo midget...)
403 posts

Posted:
wink"Various" herbs LOL smile ubbloco

DixieGOLD Member
old hand
740 posts

Posted:
Hmnn...
I don't feel entirely cosy with this thread...
*wanders off in search of less worrying fare*

Important Notice.
Can be found elsewhere.

This signiture has malfunctioned and can currently display no information. This matter will be rectified shortly.

darkpoetBRONZE Member
Irish
525 posts

Posted:
for those of us who are utterly clueless...what exactly IS petrol. ether..

and i was under the assumption that you cant get any sort of alcohols from petrol..the whole oil+water not being miscible..and how u cant have alcohol w\o h2o molecules...

Jesus saves sinners and redeems them for cash and
prizes

Co-Founder of Keepers of Light

Educate yourself about the Hazards of Fire Breathing STAY SAFE!