Page: ...
IgirisujinSILVER Member
Carpal \'Tunnel
2,666 posts

Posted:
Ive come across it alot. Its here, this why im disliking home of poi more every day.

When I first joined six months ago it was different, it was less chatty, more seriouse, post counts and member numbers actually meant something. Now its changed, it has become more chatty and as a result more people have joined, infact they have come in droves because of the laid back (ha and uptight now) attitude that has surfaced and as a result hop has become more popular.

As a result there are members who are slightly old school taking offense to it, they attack new members, jump on throw away threads which dont have any real substance to them and do everything they can to discredit it/the poster and shoot them down.

Ive talked to hoppers on msn who hate members because (and I quote) 'post crap'. Now this crap isnt anyhting offensive or controversial in social discussion which people might take offense too Ive asked why, its social chit chat mainly in there own introduction threads that they are taking offence too! Not even other peoples threads, nope there own. All the while these people who dislike certain members have there own huge introduction threads full of the same sort of posts as the people they dislike.

Most of it its done behind closed doors, in msn messenger and probably through pms, I have a feeling it might surface more because of the increased numbers on hop, and everybody coming across everyone on hop and variouse other ways, it might not it might just continue the way it is now only noticable to a few, who knows.

Im also gonna add if you dont like me or anyone else for that matter have the decency to stay out of my/there way because I will start publicly showing my dislike to everyone who does it, its really lame. If you dont have anything constructive to add to this topic, stay out of it too.

This is my inpression of hop, and it ahs been ever increasingly for the past six months.

Chief adviser to the Pharaoh, in one very snazzy mutli-coloured coat

'Time goes by so slowly for those who wait...' - Whatever Happend To Baby Madonna?

_FSA_now comes with skydiving license
1,627 posts

Posted:
I think most of what I've got to say on this has been said allready....but...I think the whole reason for having a 'Social Chat' forum is exactly for that, socail chat. If you don't like the random and sometimes pointless chit-chat then don't go into the forum, problem solved smile

Ok so sometimes it can get annoying with threads being started about things that are really not constructive, fun, or have any point at all....but HoP is a very large community and that's going to happen no matter what. Plus sometimes it's nice to come on HoP and not have to be serious, not have discusions about vital things and to just switch off and brouse the random crap and enjoy the happy, fun community biggrin

I'm sure we will all know if things get too out of hand.....it should be fairly obvious if an all out war happens, and hopefully our wonderful Mod's will be able to sort it out biggrin

Have a nice day smile

Proudly owned by the very cute Pineapple Pete. Owner of Noddy. Joint owner of Mr Majestik.

Bender_the_OffenderGOLD Member
still can't believe it's not butter
6,978 posts

Posted:
lol it's a free site - you are free to use or not use any of it!
though it is great to see people emotionally invested in it, sometimes i wonder if it's taken too seriously...

Non-Https Image Link

Laugh Often, Smile Much, Post lolcats Always

TheBovrilMonkeySILVER Member
Liquid Cow
2,629 posts

Posted:
Written by: Brit_Joe

And why is it allways supposidly hop old schoolers that are to blame? Because in six months I cannot recall one hop noob actually having this attitude, ever, not once.

Y'see, I can't recall seeing a post written almost entirely in txt speak by an old schooler.
I also can't recall any threads with bizarre and completely unhelpful names started by an old schooler.
On a similar theme, guess which group almost never posts repeat threads on easily searchable topics? It's certainly not the new schoolers.

Written by: Guidelines for members

Please avoid using simplified English ( eg Nice 2 C U) as it is not understood by all. Do not use all caps ( eg MY SUBJECT IS ) as some individuals see this as shouting.
*snip*
Before Posting a topic please check the Search engine . If we can avoid making too many threads on the same topic everything can be tidy and easy to understand for all. If your query or comment relates to a thread then post in that same thread. Creating another thread can cause confusion.
*snip*
Please describe the topic in the title. It helps us decide on whether to read it or not and/or find it later.

It's not the old schoolers who repeatedly break these rules, but they are the ones who get shouted at when they try to ask people to follow them.
Get shouted at like that enough times and the animosity against those who keep breaking those guidelines starts creeping in.
Really - can someone give me a valid reason why new schoolers should be exempt from these rules?
How about a reason why it's ok to shout at someone who's asking you to follow them, given that everyone here agreed to follow them when they joined?

As the saying goes - it takes two to tango. Please don't try to make out that new schoolers have a glowing reputation and can do no wrong while saying that everything is the fault of the old schoolers - the truth is probably somewhere in the middle.

Written by: Sethis

The Jedi Wars?????

JEDI WARS??????

Yeah, it wasn't pretty.
Imagine everyone saying 'you're only a jedi spinner if you can do a , which I can do, therefore I'm Jedi and you're not' all at once and you've probably got the gist of it.

But there's no sense crying over every mistake. You just keep on trying till you run out of cake.

Fine_Rabid_DogInternet Hate Machine
10,530 posts

Posted:
I'm totally down with what Bov said in that last post. Some of the "attitude" of "old schoolers" is because they/we like to keep the place tidy, and follow the rules.

"Imagine everyone saying 'you're only a jedi spinner if you can do a , "

Is it the crotch grab? Is it? Is it? 'Cos I can do that. biggrin

Oh yeah, and as others have been saying, its just the internet!

I think it was NYC that said that if you get upset about something said on the internet, its a sure sign that you need to unplug your computer and go outsided.

smile

The existance of flamethrowers says that someone, somewhere, at sometime said "I need to set that thing on fire, but it's too far away."

PyroWillGOLD Member
HoP's Barman. Trapped aged 6 months
4,437 posts

Posted:
Sorry Joe I totally don't get what your on about, I don't really see a problem, most of the abuse you seem to be claiming is given to some members actually seems to all be hurled at you, or is there any other members here who feel the same way?

I agree with Beth that it seems that a lot fo the topics you start are the ones that get the negative response's, are you just bitter?

I have to agree with the all knowing Bov, and like everyone says if you don't like what someones saying don't listen to it!

An eye for an eye only ends up making the whole world blind

Give a man a fish and he'll eat 4 a day hit a man with a brick and you can have all his fish and his wife

"Will's to pretty for prison" - Simian

AsenaGOLD Member
What a Bummer
3,224 posts

Posted:
I don't think I have ever been abused, or had abuse hurled at me... Never even had someone to tell me to do a search... frown

How come Joe gets all the attention ah? ubblol

PyroWillGOLD Member
4,437 posts

Posted:
I'd best not answer that wink

Give a man a fish and he'll eat 4 a day hit a man with a brick and you can have all his fish and his wife

Fine_Rabid_DogInternet Hate Machine
10,530 posts

Posted:
Zing!

The existance of flamethrowers says that someone, somewhere, at sometime said "I need to set that thing on fire, but it's too far away."

Bender_the_OffenderGOLD Member
still can't believe it's not butter
6,978 posts

Posted:
on the interweb, expressing oneself, reading others with text and emoticons alone could sway a person to think that they are being persecuted (sorry joe!) or fawned upon (sorry moonpixie!)
ubbangel

Laugh Often, Smile Much, Post lolcats Always

KaelGotRiceGOLD Member
Basu gasu bakuhatsu - because sometimes buses explode
1,584 posts

Posted:
haha bender, go on wikipedia and search "serious business" and see what article you get.

On the flip side...

I have to say that there's a lot of "new schoolers" here that I highly respect (those who have been on HoP less than 6 months or with member number 20000 +)

I don't see how it is a community problem, but merely a perception/individual one.

hug to those all around.

To do: More Firedrums 08 video?

Wildfire/US East coast fire footage

LA/EDC glow/fire footage

Fresno fire

Zauberdachsenthusiast
220 posts

Posted:
Written by: mcp

I'm on bovils side. Old schoolers are both cooler and more hardcore than newbies (cos they have been on hop longer - duh!) and hence more deserving of respect and adoring fans.

word. wink

So perhaps we should get rid of the membership number and have a voted for ranking of who's got the best hair on hop. Which would always lead to me or sdo-p being number one. biggrin

eek what does sdo-p's hair look like to compare with yours?

And mech: JEDI WARS! I need to make a video like that....

Would it be called "Ninja wars" by any chance?

The insults of your enemy are a tribute to your bravery wink

_Aimée_SILVER Member
Carpal \'Tunnel
4,172 posts

Posted:
Written by: flash fire

Written by: Brit_Joe

My biggest problem is the attidue of 'your post need to be flushed down a toilet'.

Can you please PM me an example, or ten, of this attitude being displayed? I would like to know what you're talking about, but need to see it in private so as not to start a "but you misunderstood me" type thing from the flusher to the flushee.

Written by: Me

I like to discuss on msn with my HoP friends about the amount of utter balls that people post sometimes.

I could hardly post in their thread that I think their post should

be flushed down a toilet so it could stay with its own company now, could I?

I'm polite and provide links to the search function, shimmy them into the introductions area, or explain that a thread about cabbage really isn't necessary...

I really don't see your problem Joe. Sometimes people post crap, and it needs to be deleted.

Sometimes I let the evil side come out in me and I get slight pleasure in imagening that thread going *swoosh splish splosh* down a toilet. Golly!

Now when say for example somebody posts something about music, like I said - I'll be polite and helpful and provide links.

Now put me in jail if you think its wrong that in my head I think "For christ sake!! Not again?! I think you're a silly moose!"

shrug
EDITED_BY: Aimée (1140001405)

Zauberdachsenthusiast
220 posts

Posted:
Chill. When someone posts a s**t comment just bask for a few seconds in the knowledge that someone out there is marginally less cool/chilled out/intelligent/good looking than yourself and then ignore the comment smile It really doesn't demand an reply or further explanation. Just let it go.... smile

PyroWillGOLD Member
4,437 posts

Posted:
I think we should all just get naked

Zauberdachsenthusiast
220 posts

Posted:
yey!!!! getting naked time!!!!

DrudwynForget puppy power, Scrappy's just gay
632 posts

Posted:
Well, I'd be up for it!

*gets naked*

Spin, bounce, be one with the world, because it is yours to enjoy...

Zauberdachsenthusiast
220 posts

Posted:
Come on folks! Lets try and treat this thread with the respect it deserves! getting naked indeed! are you trying to derail this serious and interesting thread?

*gets nakes*

colemanSILVER Member
big and good and broken
7,330 posts

Posted:
"jedi wars"!? ubblol ubblol

wtf were the jedi wars?

i remember the jedi set and the misunderstandings that went on there - i still have a copy of the un-edited thread and it really wasn't that bad anyway, it just seemed worse cos hop was so uber-fluffy most of the time smile
besides, that all got sorted within about a week (like most problems on hop do), and it was way back in late 2002 anyway.

i definitely don't remember any ugly time involving big arguments over who is and who isn't a jedi though - when did that happen?!

whatever, i still think hop rocks.

but, i think, most of all, i miss raymund ubblove

cole. x

"i see you at 'dis cafe.
i come to 'dis cafe quite a lot myself.
they do porridge."
- tim westwood

BirgitBRONZE Member
had her carpal tunnel surgery already thanks v much
4,145 posts

Posted:
hmmmm... having been away from hop for a month, this thread just reminded of one of the reasons for that...

Zauberdachs naked!!!! ubblol

More to the point, really and PLEASE, everybody chill. Or do the same as me and just don't go on HoP for a while, you'll find when you come back that absolutely nothing has changed (except for it being different names raising the same arguments), and you'll actually laugh about it smile

"vices are like genitals - most are ugly to behold, and yet we find that our own are dear to us."
(G.W. Dahlquist)

Owner of Dragosani's left half

jeff(fake)Scientist of Fortune
1,189 posts

Posted:
Written by: Zauberdachs

Come on folks! Lets try and treat this thread with the respect it deserves! getting naked indeed! are you trying to derail this serious and interesting thread?

*gets nakes*

Strangely enought, I was already naked.

According to Heisenberg's Uncertainty Principle of Quantum Dynamics, we may already be making love right now...

ado-pGOLD Member
Pirate Ninja
3,882 posts

Posted:
Written by: Birgit

hmmmm... having been away from hop for a month, this thread just reminded of one of the reasons for that...

Zauberdachs naked!!!! ubblol

More to the point, really and PLEASE, everybody chill. Or do the same as me and just don't go on HoP for a while, you'll find when you come back that absolutely nothing has changed (except for it being different names raising the same arguments), and you'll actually laugh about it smile

I noticed that too. Cept i was away for about four months... smile Hope your well Frau Birgit smile

I reckon if you have an issue, you can deal with it in a nice positive way... which doesnt always mean starting a new thread.. see Ghandi for examples.

Or

You can wind yourself and other like minded folk up with threads like this...

I for one am with Bender. This is the interweb... What did you expect? smile

Love is the law.

NYCNYC
9,232 posts

Posted:
Bah, I think HoP is great.

And the haters are going to hate, and the bitchers are going to bitch.

And it's also important that we don't OVER react to the haters and the bitchers.

One whiney post, ten whiney posts, one hundred whiney posts are still a HUGE minority of posts.

EVERY time I am dissatisfied with HoP it is because of decisions I am making. Either it's who I'm chatting with, what I'm chatting about, or the desire for people whom I'm chatting with to be chatting about what I'm chatting about.

I've often uttered my motto "You bitch about it, you bought it" meaning if you're gonna complain about it, you're automatically promoted to being in charge of fixing it.

Joe, and all the other whiners, please tell us what you've ALREADY done to try and fix the situation. Perhaps we can give suggestions of what else YOU can do to fix it.

And if you're not willing to step up and HELP fix the problem, then don't whine about it.

And please don't wave around your "6 month membership" card like it means anything. The length of time you have or haven't been here is irrelevant.

Well, shall we go?
Yes, let's go.
[They do not move.]

AnonymousPLATINUM Member

Posted:
Yep, like GWB says, "If you aren't with us, you're against us! ubblol

jo_rhymesSILVER Member
Momma Bear
4,525 posts

Posted:
nice one NYC, yep this sh*t is getting pretty old. I dont care about this old skool nu skool crap, just get on with it!! lol

Hoppers are angels who lift us to our feet when our wings have trouble remembering how to fly.

MedusaSILVER Member
veteran
1,433 posts

Posted:
meditate
EDITED_BY: flash fire (1140044898)

jo_rhymesSILVER Member
Momma Bear
4,525 posts

Posted:
oh Joe not Jo! Phew! i'm not agist! not at all biggrin phewf!

Hoppers are angels who lift us to our feet when our wings have trouble remembering how to fly.

AsenaGOLD Member
What a Bummer
3,224 posts

Posted:
Ageist, pah...

I once had a drama teacher who was Bracist, thats right... BRACist... wouldnt give a girl a part cos she wore a brace... But then I didn't like that drama teacher... we changed her name to a much ruder one, to rude for a PG board infact smile...

bounce

onewheeldaveGOLD Member
Carpal \'Tunnel
3,252 posts

Posted:
Written by:

I've often uttered my motto "You bitch about it, you bought it" meaning if you're gonna complain about it, you're automatically promoted to being in charge of fixing it.

Joe, and all the other whiners, please tell us what you've ALREADY done to try and fix the situation. Perhaps we can give suggestions of what else YOU can do to fix it.

Personally, I don't think that if someone raises an issue, they're somehow obliged to fix it- many people who can identify an issue aren't necessarily capeable of finding a solution to it.

But I would say, that if Joes issue is a genuine one, then simply by pointing it up, he's done something useful already.

One of my 'mottos' is that if a threads well-titled, not offensive and in the right place; then it's probably OK.

The idea being that, those who get wound up by certain thread types can identify it from the title and save themselves the trouble of going in and moaning about it.

And that's the real irony for me on this one- lot's of people are complaining about what they see as Joes 'moaning' and then filled up this thread with their own moaning about how they dislike 'moaning' threads.

People have basically said to joe (and others they've taken a dislike to) 'if you don't like HOP as it is, then go away'. This is not a pleasant thing for someone to be told.

Written by: NYC

One whiney post, ten whiney posts, one hundred whiney posts are still a HUGE minority of posts.

I agree; this is one thread and there are a few others like it. They're titled in such a way that they can be easily skipped over- they're really not a problem unless people insist on making them one.

This thread has been sustained and kept high on the board by the very people who are complaining about it.

It's true that it is when threads like this appear that a certain amount of nastiness tends to surface- usually not because of the original poster, but more to do with the 'pack-mentality' bullies who invariably descend on these threads.

If HOP really is such a fluffy and friendly place, then why be so insecure as to tell people who are simply highlighting what they see as an issue, to basically 'if you don't like it, then f*ck off'.

If you're so dead set against 'moaning', then why yourselves moan when a few critical threads appear?

I've been posting on HOP a long time now, and I can basically look after myself and, on the occasions when I can't, I've no problem with referring it to the mods who can.

Not everyone can similarly look after themselves, or, when they do, they lack the diplomatic skills to do so without a flame war ensuing.

Increasingly, I've found myself basically defending others, against unnecessarily aggressive attacks and bullying.

And it's sad, because, like most bullying, the individuals responsible probably mean no harm, they're just demonstrating an inability to take seriously the possibility of different viewpoints/ways of thinking.

For the first time in a long while, I'm finding HOP to be a bit of a strain and starting to wonder if I'm going to be posting here much longer.

For the record, the cause of my negative feelings are not people like Joe who occasionally highlight something about HOP they see as negative- it's the bullies who pile in and atack them for doing so.

The fact is, that much as I see this as a valuable and well-intentioned community, i find it hard to reconcile that with the insecure pack-mentality bullying that I see emerge on threads like this.

How do you think it feels when 15 people gang up and verbally harrass, tell you that you're way over-sensitive, that you're wrong, and that you should, if you don't like it here, go away?

I can only assume that either the people doing that here have never experienced that situation personally, or, that they are not aware that their current behaviour is of that type.

For those who are, or have been victims of this kind of unpleasentness on HOP, as a practical help, I'd suggest trying to look beyond the inevitable distress that being the target of this brings about, and focus on the fact that those responsible are clearly manifesting a high level of insecurity of their own.

and then report it to the mods- the more people who do this, the more this problem will be taken seriously by HOP management from where it will filter down to the community as a whole.

Cos it's obvious from this and similar threads that the community currently is not really open to acknowledging it.

"You can't outrun Death forever.
But you can make the Bastard work for it."

--MAJOR KORGO KORGAR,
"Last of The Lancers"
AFC 32

Educate your self in the Hazards of Fire Breathing STAY SAFE!

GnorBRONZE Member
Carpal \'Tunnel
5,814 posts

Posted:
Well said.

Is it the Truth?
Is it Fair to all concerned?
Will it build Goodwill and Better Friendships?
Will it be Beneficial to all concerned?

Im in a lonely battle with the world with a fish to match the chip on my shoulder. Gnu in Binnu in a cnu

NYCNYC
9,232 posts

Posted:
Written by: onewheeldave

Personally, I don't think that if someone raises an issue, they're somehow obliged to fix it- many people who can identify an issue aren't necessarily capeable of finding a solution to it.

I don't think they are obliged to fix it, but I do think they're oblidged to do more about it than bitch. Otherwise, they're just bitching. If they have a vested interest in the outcome they should put some effort in affecting it.

The tone on HoP is something that individual members can do something about. Bitching about bitches is hypocritical and counter productive. There are many occations where bitterness has provoked members to try and counter that with warmth and love. Jem's thread on 'comforts' was such a sweet one. There are plenty of folks who've taken actual EFFORT to change the vibe to a more positive one.

There are two groups of people, those that do, and those that do nothing. All too often, it's those that do nothing that bitch the loudest.

Well, shall we go?
Yes, let's go.
[They do not move.]

Page: ...