Page:
IgirisujinSILVER Member
Carpal \'Tunnel
2,666 posts

Posted:
Ive come across it alot. Its here, this why im disliking home of poi more every day.

When I first joined six months ago it was different, it was less chatty, more seriouse, post counts and member numbers actually meant something. Now its changed, it has become more chatty and as a result more people have joined, infact they have come in droves because of the laid back (ha and uptight now) attitude that has surfaced and as a result hop has become more popular.

As a result there are members who are slightly old school taking offense to it, they attack new members, jump on throw away threads which dont have any real substance to them and do everything they can to discredit it/the poster and shoot them down.

Ive talked to hoppers on msn who hate members because (and I quote) 'post crap'. Now this crap isnt anyhting offensive or controversial in social discussion which people might take offense too Ive asked why, its social chit chat mainly in there own introduction threads that they are taking offence too! Not even other peoples threads, nope there own. All the while these people who dislike certain members have there own huge introduction threads full of the same sort of posts as the people they dislike.

Most of it its done behind closed doors, in msn messenger and probably through pms, I have a feeling it might surface more because of the increased numbers on hop, and everybody coming across everyone on hop and variouse other ways, it might not it might just continue the way it is now only noticable to a few, who knows.

Im also gonna add if you dont like me or anyone else for that matter have the decency to stay out of my/there way because I will start publicly showing my dislike to everyone who does it, its really lame. If you dont have anything constructive to add to this topic, stay out of it too.

This is my inpression of hop, and it ahs been ever increasingly for the past six months.

Chief adviser to the Pharaoh, in one very snazzy mutli-coloured coat

'Time goes by so slowly for those who wait...' - Whatever Happend To Baby Madonna?

MikeGinnyGOLD Member
HOP Mad Doctor
13,925 posts

Posted:
Post deleted by Doc Lightning

-Mike

Certified Mad Doctor and HoP High Priest of Nutella

A buckuht n a hooze! -Valura

flash fireBRONZE Member
Sporadically Prodigal
2,758 posts

Posted:
Written by: Doc Lightning

You know, these little snits keep on coming up. We should start durbsing them.

Yes, there comes a point where you realize that HOP is not a perfect world, and it's normal to feel a bit jaded about it. It's apparently a common phenomenon, probably because HOP is as amazing as it is and you tend to fall head-over-heels in love with it at first sight...and then the honeymoon ends.

HOP, like everything else in the world, has its imperfections. It's a community of individuals and individuals have different personalities and sometimes conflict erupts. And when conflict erupts loyalties form along seemingly idiotic lines.

And yet in my travels of boards I have never seen a community like this one. There's more love, caring, and community here than I've ever seen anywhere else.

Accept this place for what it is. Not what you wish it was.

As much as I love you, and the sentiment you're expressing in this post, it highlights my point about people having to have their say, despite it being said by others a bunch of times already. This whole thing really needs to move forward, and not splash around in the pool of "like it or lump it" <- sugar-coat it anyway you like.

HoP Posting Guidelines
Is it the Truth?
Is it Fair to all concerned?
Will it build Goodwill and Better Friendships?
Will it be Beneficial to all concerned?
If you can answer YES to these 4 questions then you may post a reply.

MikeGinnyGOLD Member
HOP Mad Doctor
13,925 posts

Posted:
Guilty as charged. (Original post deleted).

Flash Fire is cool because she's not afraid to whip my arse around sometimes when I need an attitude adjustment. ubblove

-Mike

Certified Mad Doctor and HoP High Priest of Nutella

A buckuht n a hooze! -Valura

DentrassiGOLD Member
ZORT!
3,045 posts

Posted:
*le sigh*
the somewhat sad thing is that everyone would probably get along brilliantly if they actually met each other in real life.

peace out peace
E ubbrollsmile

"Here kitty kitty...." - Schroedinger.

GnorBRONZE Member
Carpal \'Tunnel
5,814 posts

Posted:
Your post has a place Lightning and Im glad Flash copied it and left it in

Is it the Truth?

Im in a lonely battle with the world with a fish to match the chip on my shoulder. Gnu in Binnu in a cnu

Gayle......!SILVER Member
Pooh-Bah
2,444 posts

Posted:
I want to throw another idea into the mix and expand on what Dentrassi just said.

What is the difference in a post from somebody you have met and somebody you haven't met??

I found when i first joined HoP, i lurked for a while and sussed out how things worked. I thought i had it all sussed out and started a thread which i was promptly told to "do a durbs". I then stopped starting new threads and started looking around old ones.

I came across a lot of "scary" posts which were quite intimidating. I didn't understand people's scarcasm and humour. However, this all changed once i started to meet these "scary" people at gatherings. Suddenly i could see that there wasn't any malice intended it's just them being honest and posted like they are in real life, humour and sarcasm included.

I would recommend to anyone, if they are experiencing "bad feeling" to go to a large meet and start meeting the people who have made them feel a bit victimized and i reckon 8 out of 10 people will show the person that they don't mean any malice it's just their sarcasm and humour coming out.

I think i would be safe to use two people as an example as i think they are aware of how they post. One is Meg. She can come across as quite "scary" on the boards sometimes with her quick wit and sarcasm. However, once you meet her you realise she is doing nothing but be her exceptionally humerous self. The other example i would give is UCOF. Some of his posts can come across as questioning and blunt but when you meet him you suddenly realise that his crazy sense of humour tallies with what he is writing and again he is being nothing but himself.

So my questions is:

Does you feeling toward a post change when you know the poster e.g. their sense of humour and use of sarcasm??

and as a further point:

Do "newbies" feel more victimized as they haven't yet made it to lots of meets to get to know our sense of humour and sarcasm?

there you go - does that throw another idea in which might change the way we look at issues like these.

Gayle.....!

MedusaSILVER Member
veteran
1,433 posts

Posted:
I don't like this sentiment that if it has been said by someone else (even if it is in a different way) then we shouldn't be saying it again...everyone words things differently and what one person says one way may not be as understood as the same thing said a different way by another person.

I think everyone should be entitled to post in the relavant threads whatever they feel they have to say (of course without abusing or being nasty to anyone or breaking the rules).

ducky2108A little bit of a board whore
147 posts

Posted:
Written by: fireNice

Maybe its just me, but what seems to be the cause of divisevness/bullying that you seem to talk about is perhaps caused by....

Rules

which some people see as important to maintaining the community on this board and others just seem to ignore

I think FireNice has hit the nail on the head (although maybe not in the way she intended) in this whole discussion.

Firstly, from the rules
Written by:

Before posting a new topic

If you can answer YES to these 4 questions then you may post a new topic.
Is it the Truth?

Now, to me, these rules seem to be a little unclear about what you can and can't post, in, for example, the chat and discussion forums.

However, I also note
Written by:

Before replying to a topic

Is it the Truth?

If some of these posts are seen as quite offensive, then they too are breaking the rules which some people seem so keen to quote. I'm thinking mainly here about the third rule. I'm not going to go over old ground again, but OWD has highlighted this I feel.

Have fun.

Ancient wiseman say "It is very strange person, who, when left alone in room with teacosy, does not try it on"

flash fireBRONZE Member
Sporadically Prodigal
2,758 posts

Posted:
Rah! Consider yourself lucky that the gods intervened and I lost my post before I submitted it Medusa.

meditate

HoP Posting Guidelines
Is it the Truth?

MedusaSILVER Member
veteran
1,433 posts

Posted:
Why? I wasn't saying what I said to be nasty it is just that I don't like that sentiment...

Is there something wrong with me disagreeing?

flash fireBRONZE Member
Sporadically Prodigal
2,758 posts

Posted:
That's fine. I'm not suggesting that it be indoctrinated as a blanket rule. All I'm saying is, that surely after 80 or so posts of contentious opinions about the social health of Home of Poi, then surely it might just be best, for the sake of Home of Poi and the sanity of the mod team, that people perhaps feel less compelled to add their bit again and again.

I know you're personally getting sick of the bitching, and the bitching about the bitching (using your words here), so why add to it?

I'd like to take this opportunity to thank all those members, like coleman, pyrowill, fireNice for knowing when to give me a break.

HoP Posting Guidelines
Is it the Truth?

flash fireBRONZE Member
Sporadically Prodigal
2,758 posts

Posted:
and re: your edit about being allowed to disagree. Go for your life! However, further disagreements will have to be added to the mountainous pile of crap that's being created around here, prioritised and dealt with accordingly.

(I swear, there was actually humour in that paragraph!)

HoP Posting Guidelines
Is it the Truth?

MedusaSILVER Member
veteran
1,433 posts

Posted:
What I said was not meant to sound like bitching and if it did then it was again taken totally out of context...I was simply trying to state in that other post, that I did agree with Jo on a level (not fully though) but trying to get him to understand why the community might be like that.

I wasn't being bitchy towards you either I was just disagreeing...

Zauberdachsenthusiast
220 posts

Posted:
Written by: Medusa

I don't like this sentiment that if it has been said by someone else (even if it is in a different way) then we shouldn't be saying it again...everyone words things differently and what one person says one way may not be as understood as the same thing said a different way by another person.

I think everyone should be entitled to post in the relavant threads whatever they feel they have to say (of course without abusing or being nasty to anyone or breaking the rules).

I think other people writing the same ideas from their own viewpoints is very useful.

For example, above NYC was saying what I was trying to say but he said it in a more constructive and straight forward way. I can learn from this.

I also think that a frank dose of honesty and saying to someone "your post is unnecessary antagonism that solves nothing" falls within these rules:

Is it the Truth?

But I am repeating myself now so... enough smile

The insults of your enemy are a tribute to your bravery wink

onewheeldaveGOLD Member
Carpal \'Tunnel
3,252 posts

Posted:
Written by: Gayle

I want to throw another idea into the mix and expand on what Dentrassi just said.

What is the difference in a post from somebody you have met and somebody you haven't met??

Written by: Gayle

I came across a lot of "scary" posts which were quite intimidating. I didn't understand people's scarcasm and humour. However, this all changed once i started to meet these "scary" people at gatherings. Suddenly i could see that there wasn't any malice intended it's just them being honest and posted like they are in real life, humour and sarcasm included.

I would recommend to anyone, if they are experiencing "bad feeling" to go to a large meet and start meeting the people who have made them feel a bit victimized and i reckon 8 out of 10 people will show the person that they don't mean any malice it's just their sarcasm and humour coming out.

(Hopefully this will be seen as an attempt to help the thread move forward)

I'm really glad you mentioned this point because it ties in with one of the main things I've been trying to illustrate here; one which I feel can be of practical help in resolving some of this.

Of course you're right- a post in the context of straightforward online text may be seen as a bit rude/insensitive, but, when you meet the person in real life, it's obvious they don't have a malicious bone in their body.

However, the two things I'd want people to reflect on where this is concerned are-

1. these posts are in the context of online text- we're an international community and it's great that a lot of HOP-ers are lucky enough to have the opportunity to travel and meet, but not all of us do and most newbies don't.

2. as I've said several times already, the intention of a post is not what people are reading- they're reading the actual post.

It is sad that a post can be taken as rude when the poster genuinely did not mean rudeness, but, to a large extent, it's down to the poster to make an effort to learn how to post in ways that don't offend.

Certainly, if I was one of these people who are, in reality, good and nice, yet who come across as nasty sometimes, then, if I really was well-intentioned, I would presumably be quite keen on addressing my posting style; if only because, by not doing so, people are getting the wrong impression of me?

In fact, that is what has happened, certainly to me, and, by the sound of some posts in this thread, many others.

i.e. we're new to the board, we post stuff that gets taken badly, maybe even get a pm from the mods, and gradually come to realise that,just as important as what we post, is the way we put it.

So, where the examples you bring up are concerned, I really wouldn't want to just put all the blame on those individuals, but would say, if they're interested in maintaining the friendliness of HOP, then they should reflect on, and consider modifying, their posting styles, just like the rest of us have to do.

And, for incentive to do so, I'd say that one of the ways I feel I've benefitted most from being on HOP is that, through it, I've had the opportunity for so much practice at posting on issues that are so prone to flame wars (eg religion, smoking, drugs etc) and having to keep a lot of focus on making sure that I do so in a way which minimises the risk of misunderstanding or causing offence.

At the end of the day, we have to be who we are and I'm not suggesting in any way, watering down our opinions, but, given that it's a fact of life that many people will tend to misinterpret what we say and take offense; it seems like a good idea to do what we can to ensure that we say what we want to say in ways that are less likely to cause offence.

"You can't outrun Death forever.
But you can make the Bastard work for it."

--MAJOR KORGO KORGAR,
"Last of The Lancers"
AFC 32

Educate your self in the Hazards of Fire Breathing STAY SAFE!

Gayle......!SILVER Member
Pooh-Bah
2,444 posts

Posted:
"So, where the examples you bring up are concerned, I really wouldn't want to just put all the blame on those individuals, but would say, if they're interested in maintaining the friendliness of HOP, then they should reflect on, and consider modifying, their posting styles, just like the rest of us have to do."

[disclaimer]
Just to make it clear. I wasn't blaming those indivduals. They were just the examples that came to mind. smile and i hope they don't mind me citing them.
[/disclaimer]

I agree with double checking what you've written convays the message or point you're trying to make. I have countless times, gone to preview a post and decided not to bother as i didn't think i was convaying the right message.

I just wanted to convay the idea, especially to people who do feel victimised or picked on, that once you have met or spoken to an indivdual outside of this board (meets, MSN, email, telephone), then it becomes much easier to see through the straightforward text to the person behind the comment, which in turn will hopefully prevent misunderstandings and conflict.

Maybe once the post-winter meets kick in these sorts of posts might calm down again until the autumn as more people are getting to know each other at more events [/idea]

Maybe i could sum it up in - positive communication prevents negative action??

Gayle.....!

CantusSILVER Member
Tantamount to fatuity
15,966 posts

Posted:
Speaking from the point of view of someone who has had posts misread, misunderstood and generally missed-the-blinking-joke/inherent-humour therein on more occasions than i care to think about. I feel (and it pains me to do so wink) I have to agree with Miss Gayle.

I feel that a lot of the time, certain people do gloss over any intended wit. Approaching things from a 'seeming' angle wherein they assume that because they are grumpy or antagonistic about a subject/thread/person. That, therefore, everyone else posting must be similarly antagonistic and/or gloomy....

On many, many, oh so very many occasions :grief wracked sob: I've found myself growing angered at the words of another and posted a super angry retort. Only to reread the thread shortly after (with a view to gloating at mine enemy and basking on a high from my genial/'genius' wink put-downs) and finding that i'd totally missed the point of what was said eek and a very hasty rewrite is in order...followed by a kicking over some loose dirt and quickly tiptoing away, hoping no one else has noticed...

Best thing to do - although so much easier said that done (believe me eek) is to distance yourself from HoP, read things a few times before replying and, if you can, have a copy of the incensive words open whilst you post to reference them. Or you can do that annoying thing that you social discussion types do these days. Quote the entire post, failing to delete the parts that aren't even slightly valid or relevant [/rant]
tongue

It has been mentioned, by Mr Joe I believe, that people hide behind smilies and think that a wink or a tongue in some way lessens the cutting nature of their words; and to some degree this is to true. But to counter that, perhaps if you were to take note of the instances of smilie usage. Take a pause and think that maybe, just maybe, the post was intended to be read in jest....Then perhaps you'll feel slightly better, you'll get less of those stress headaches and your face will be altogether less scowly than it has been of late.

A well placed smilie can work wonders y'know.....

Granted I realise that no one will actually take these points on board. Or that no one, myself included, will actually learn from them or apply them as often as they really, really should, but i often think that people generally aren't thinking enough before they get as riled as they do.

Many apologies if this post makes no sense. I'm not used to being in social discussion and all this seriousness and gloomy scares and unsettles me.

Hugs to everyone hug smile hug

Meh

GnorBRONZE Member
Carpal \'Tunnel
5,814 posts

Posted:
Cantus that made sense......scarily so...

Flash....good change to your signiture.

heads off before I agree with too many other people

Is it the Truth?

Im in a lonely battle with the world with a fish to match the chip on my shoulder. Gnu in Binnu in a cnu

SethisBRONZE Member
Pooh-Bah
1,762 posts

Posted:
Yeah, once again (sorry!) I'm not using the words that are semantically correct. I didn't mean to say it was ok to call someone an idiot, I meant that if lots of people disagree with you (strenuously) then just maybe instead of getting upset over it, you might want to reconsider your position/take on board some of the criticism.

I have in the past argued for pages about an issue, then someone makes a single post that completely changes the way I was looking at the topic. I feel that arguing (sorry, discussing wink) with a lot of people is more mind-expanding than agreeing with a lot of people.

But yeah, OWD, insulting/bullying does not come under the heading of "Productive discussion" so I'm just as much against it as anyone else. smile

After much consideration, I find that the view is worth the asphyxiation.
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
I may disagree with what you have to say, but I will defend to the death your right to say it.

AsenaGOLD Member
What a Bummer
3,224 posts

Posted:
Written by: Cantus

Hugs to everyone hug smile hug

Even me? smile

fNiGOLD Member
master of disaster
3,354 posts

Posted:
Written by: ducky2108

I think FireNice has hit the nail on the head (although maybe not in the way she intended) in this whole discussion.

try again. biggrin ubblol

please note, this mistake hasn't occurred since the chat room days tongue

I mean, I have a picture of me'self and everything, and this is still going on?! wink

kyrian: I've felt your finger connect with me many times
lou kitten: sneaky little meatball..
ezz: please corrupt me more

CantusSILVER Member
Tantamount to fatuity
15,966 posts

Posted:
Written by: Asena

Even me? smile

Even OWD ubblol

Meh

faith enfireBRONZE Member
wandering thru the woods of WI
3,556 posts

Posted:
*sigh*
so very guilty-sarcasm is my thing
those of you who can meet each other i'm sure it helps, but i'm stuck here in wisconsin
i know i have been taken the wrong way and i know that i have taken people the wrong way..just proof of the imperfection of words (ex hackysacs and footbags, twirling and spinning, kleenex and tissues)

semantics semantics semantics-all very much a b censored

i think us newbies just need to get beaten down till we learn our place and the rules...after that we all can go get a beer together beerchug

Faith
Nay, whatever comes one hour was sunlit and the most high gods may not make boast of any better thing than to have watched that hour as it passed

147 posts

Posted:
I think FireNice has hit the nail on the head (although maybe not in the way he intended) in this whole discussion.

Ancient wiseman say "It is very strange person, who, when left alone in room with teacosy, does not try it on"

147 posts

Posted:
I think FireNice has hit the nail on the head (although maybe not in the way he intended) in this whole discussion. wink

animatEdBRONZE Member
1 + 1 = 3
3,540 posts

Posted:
I'd Like to start this post by apologising in advance to The Moderators. I'm not trying to stir things up here, I just think that I need to stick up for myself here.

Written by: Brit_Joe

Thats the second time you've basicly said that, if your determind to bring up this point please give us all some examples, if you can that is smile.

The last time you brought this up was in the madonna thread, you claimed that it was a fact that allmost every post ive ever posted has gotten deleted, I told you ive had two posts deleted so far (one of which Ide asked to be deleted) you never did reply then did you I guess you couldnt back up your argument, then another member told me

'if your going to state facts you've had three deleted actually smile'

Joe.

Will never said that it was a fact that every thread you've made has been deleted.

I was that 'Other Member'.

And you have Blatently Mis-quoted me, and made what I said sound harsh. I don't like that. You can actually see what I said [Old link] In the Innocent Smoothies thread, not the madonna thread.

You can also see what led to my putting that reply in the thread. I thought I was being nice. I put the smiley face there to show that I wasn't trying to pick on you, that I was giving you friendly advice.

I feel that you have tried to make my post sound as if I was picking on you, when I wasn't. You have changed my words so that they do sound derogatory and as if I am picking on you. If you want me to pick on you that badly, I can. shrug Doesn't bother me. But please. If you're gonna quote people, or try to tell them what they said, please make sure it is correct, and certainly don't change their words to create a whole new angle on things. it's not fair.

I've refrained from posting in this thread so far, but this has rubbed me up the wrong way a little.

EDIT: I would have said this to him in a PM, but I feel that he would have ignored me. I would have reported this post to the mods, and let them deal with it, but then I would not have been able to defend myself properly. I would like it if Joe were to edit his post, and maybe apologise. Once the post has been edited, I shall delete this post. smile

Empty your mind. Be formless, Shapeless, like Water.
Put Water into a cup, it becomes the cup, put water into a bottle, it becomes the bottle, put water into a teapot, it becomes the teapot.
Water can flow, or it can Crash.
Be Water My Friend.

RosieMarySILVER Member
102 posts

Posted:
Written by: TinklePants

Its human nature I'm afraid.

When was the last time you saw a granny at a rave?
See - not everyone is the same. Although, my mates mum likes raving - and yep she's a granny lol

wavehello I like the odd rave and I swing Poi, and read lots of posts on HoP - and I'm a granny too. devil.

I don't agree with a lot of the posts, but - hey - it takes all sorts.
Read, stay cool, move on. Life's too short to get your boxers in a twist. sunny

RosieMary
----------------------------
"Live as if you were to die tomorrow. Learn as if you were to live forever" ~ Mahatma Gandhi

FireTomStargazer
6,650 posts

Posted:
I was "entering the community of posters" in late November on HoP - at first (due to a few misunderstood posts) I was devastated about the way some were attacking my opinion (and wrote back in the same manner) ... Now I look at it from a very different angle... I love it.... I heck spent/d too much time on this (maybe rolleyes) and other things will get and are getting more important than reading and writing...

You find "snobsters" everywhere and everyone should get a little thicker skin when posting on an internet-forum. Just don't take anything personal (not even yourself)... If you dislike someone - thell them on a PM (if you mind) but try not to get involved in "behind-the-back-s/chit-chatting" too much - that's just... rolleyes shrug

And remember to get out and play a round of poi every now and then...

Personally I love HoP, I know that nobody in here is an angel and those who are pretending to be devil are mostly just trying to act out their frustration over not being as good in spinning as in humiliating and offending others.... so what? meditate

the best smiles are the ones you lead to wink

IgirisujinSILVER Member
Carpal \'Tunnel
2,666 posts

Posted:
What I actually was putting across on the forum in my post was that, to me it sounded as if will was making out every post I make gets deleted. Ive probably typed it up sloppy because I am rather bad at english I allways have been, and I do admit I have a habit of not refering back to topics for the 100% specifics. I see thats a habit i need to get out of, but you know the thing that bugged me is two things about your post which ill point out...

Written by:

Oh also please dont think people always seem to be picking on you on this site about most of the threads you start because I know it seems that way because almost every thread you start gets deleted, its nothing to do with you, its just often the threads you start seem to either have no point and/or could be seen as offensive, a little thought next time ey

That I really took offense too, what he was saying is total rubbish, ive been here six months and ive had 2 (maybie 3) deleted in ALL that time. I dont know where Will got that asumption from he clearly hasnt a clue.

You then agreed with him totally, why? If wills impression is wrong in the first place how did you get to that one too? I interperite as you simply agreeing with Will for the sake of agreeing with him, and disagreeing with me.

Then you decided to add that second post, correcting me over one possible post which seems rather petty.

'Time goes by so slowly for those who wait...' - Whatever Happend To Baby Madonna?

IgirisujinSILVER Member
Carpal \'Tunnel
2,666 posts

Posted:
Written by: Dut

now the only thing i hate worse than either snobbery or asskissing tho is meta-posting. WTF is this thread supposed to accomplish, and how? Brit_Joe, why don't you spend less time making threads that annoy people (as popular opinion seems to dictate you do) and more time policing the individual posts that annoy you to fill them with more useful information and provide an EXAMPLE of how you think things should be done. i'd love to see that from anyone, and so would even those that disagree with you, i'd wager.

Theres an example for you, and for future reference Im not a mod I dont police forums, I dont see it as my job so I dont think I am in a position that allows me to even do it.

I mentiond in my first (or maybie first few its hard to remember I didnt think this thread would get so many posts so quickly) that is what I see as a problem, when hop members start telling people whats right and wrong they just end up not thinking about the forum, but there own status. I dislike your post so its not good enough, so either stop bitching, shut up or get out, or post better stuff! Is the usuall attitude thats rife on hop, which has also been mentiond countless times by other members, people have even admited to hop having negative attitudes aimed at people, and also people have posted that they were 'put down' when they first joined and its happend to them.

Page: