Forums > Social Chat > What do you do for exercise?

Login/Join to Participate
Page:
MikeGinnyGOLD Member
HOP Mad Doctor
13,925 posts

Posted:
So we're all pretty active people, but I'm wondering if people here get regular exercise (outside of spinning, of course), and what you do for it.

As was mentioned in Pele's "Masochistic Hobbies" thread, I'm a swimmer. I was a competitive swimmer through high school and then, once I got to college, I swore I'd never touch water again (spending 5 1/2 hours a day in the water with morning practice at 6:30 AM will do that to you).

Well, come my Senior year of college, I had a good look in the mirror and realized "geez, I'm fat." So I started swimming again at the school's rec pool. Well, turns out that Stanford hosts a Masters Swimming team, which I joined. It's a lot more fun than high school because I only spend an hour and a half in the water every day and because I want to go. There isn't the pressure there was when I competed in school.

So five days a week (Monday-Friday) I do 360 crunches, 120 push-ups, and I swim an hour and a half, which will get me anywhere between 4 and 5 kilometers, depending on the nature of the workout (distance, stroke, aerobic, anaerobic threshold, etc.).

Since my "I'm fat" realization, I've lost 42 pounds and now weigh less than I did in high school. The side-benefit is that I'm also not afraid to take my shirt off in public anymore.

Oh, and I pretty much get to eat whatever I want, (I'm a serious choclaholic).

What about the rest of you? Do you exercise? What do you do to stay in shape?

-Mike

Certified Mad Doctor and HoP High Priest of Nutella

A buckuht n a hooze! -Valura

KajiQuantum Theorist
564 posts

Posted:
lol I don't. I'm a bad boy. Me and my girlfriend go swimming once a week but often just end up sitting in the hot tub talking. But I'm going to make a resolution: This week I will swim laps.
Well we'll see....

In the 60's people took acid to make the world weird, now the world is weird and they take prozac to make it normal again.

MikeGinnyGOLD Member
HOP Mad Doctor
13,925 posts

Posted:
I have to say that finding the Masters Team was the best thing I ever did. There's something about swimming with other people doing the same workout. It makes me work harder, it makes me less likely to bargain myself out of a hard set, and it makes it a lot more fun. Not only that, but we switch leaders, since leading the lane is the hardest. If you swim alone, then you're always "leading" and that sucks.

However, this week, because of nutty hours at the pool, I am going to have to swim alone and not with my friends. Once I get to Santa Barbara, there's a Masters Team there, too.

But bottom line: the best way to get into and stick with an exercise program is to have workout buddies.

-Mike

Jelloambiguous
646 posts

Posted:
I wish I did more athletic stuff now that I'm in collage. I mean I do bike alot, not specifically for exercise, but it's my main mode of transportation and my little one gear bmx insures that I get a good workout wherever I go

Recently I found out a few of my friends have an intermural soccer team going, and have had one for a few semesters now, yet they never asked me! I played throughout highschool, both for school and with traveling teams, yet they never thought to ask if I'd be interested, how dare they! It's odd cause they never played soccer at all, they just started the team to have fun and be social, gues they havn't won a game yet, oh wait, once out of default.

Yeah, next time I see those two I'm dropping some serious hints.

Thistleold hand
950 posts

Posted:
I work out in the gym three times a week. Once a week I go to Wing Chun training.

After Christmas I am starting a power yoga class, a Capoeira class and an extra Wing Chun session. Maybe I'll go to the gym a bit less then.

Are we nearly there yet?

Paddyback from the dead...sort of
884 posts

Posted:
To keep in shape I need to have a routine. When I'm in school, getting up at different times every day, with different assignments due each week, and random meetings all the time, it's just impossible to set aside time for anything, especially exercise.

I'm in pretty rough shape right now. I'm looking forward to the holidays when I have a bit more control over what I'm doing when. Will back in to shape as much as possible before school hits again.

The best is the summer...I had the most solid routine of all time. Get up 6:00, straight to the gym for an hour, home for big breakfast, work 'till 5, home for 8 km run, light dinner, and then the evening to do whatever I wish.

Having workout buddies is the *best*...they keep the pressure on not to skip when you don't have to. But the next best thing is to hammer exercise into your schedule so hard that the same kind of pressure is there even without them.

Jelloambiguous
646 posts

Posted:
Please desribe Wing Chun, it sounds interesting I took a Tai Kwon Do course this semester, it was definitly fun though competitve martial arts are not quite for me. I'd love to learn all the techniques for my own enjoyment, I just hate to spare with people. It's really more about my own personal growth, what I can make my body and mind do. I don't know if I'll have time to continue that, it takes money to join clubs or get further lessons and I simly don't have the time in my busy college life.

Oddly when I go home I get less exercise. I go to work for my family, my dad runs a small business, and thats my life. Work, home, sleep, back to Work. And it's not like we're a construction family, it's more white collar business, so I don't get really buff working there. Plus my tan suffers, I don't get outside much School is really the only place where, if I can fit it in, I can get physical exercise.

Though oddly last summer I lost wieght at home, probably because the previous year I actually had a daily workout routine, which I havn't been able to pick up this year.

[ 17. December 2002, 12:03: Message edited by: Jello ]

pkBRONZE Member
Lambretta Fanatic
4,997 posts

Posted:
work out arghhhh

when u spin for long enough call it a day.
Thistle what are u doing no wonder u never practice, u spend too much time at the gym. tut tut.
but if you were my mom i'd be proud
so when are we celebrating ur 21st?

Tikamember
106 posts

Posted:
I used to do weight training and I totally loved it. Right now because I am so busy I just do my yoga and am learning some capoeira.

Raphael96SILVER Member
old hand
899 posts

Posted:
Well...

Besides the fencing practices, I also do cardio training 3 times a week, resistance, weights or circuit training 5 times a week. Sometimes plyometrics play a role as well.
My trainer started me doing static training which is a change from the dynamic workouts I had been doing, but no less challenging since its all about control and balance.

More work,

Raph

Magnusmember
279 posts

Posted:
Not enough.

At the peak of the summer I was cycling 2-3 times a week and playing badminton once a week, as well as (energetic) clubbing 1 or 2 nights a week.

Right now... nothing. Maybe a short walk in the cold.

My New Year's resolution is to go to the gym every 3rd day.

Magnus... pay it forward

Pink...?BRONZE Member
Mistress of Pink...Multicoloured
6,140 posts

Posted:
Well i used to go loads of watersports (canoeing, offshore sailing, inshore sailing, power boating, rowing, windsurfing...) but then i moved away from my docks. so i couldnt do it anymore.

Now i just walk alot, and do couple exercises in the morning (sit ups, press ups...)

Alice

Never pick up a duck in a dungeon...

TheBovrilMonkeySILVER Member
Liquid Cow
2,629 posts

Posted:
I do no-where near enough, which is why I look more than a little round.

I keep planning to start kayaking on sunday mornings again, but I've not had a quiet saturday night for ages and end up sleeping straight through my alarm clock.

Once I've got my room tidied and have space, I'm going to steal my parent's rowing machine and start using that as often as I can.

I used to swim 3 times a week when I was at Uni, with an 6 mile round trip walk to get there - that finished when I finished the course though, I can't stand all the kids who leap into the pool in front of you with no warning and I'm not fast enough to use the lanes since I prefer to swim slower for longer rather than the sprints everyone else seems to do.

But there's no sense crying over every mistake. You just keep on trying till you run out of cake.

adren@linemember
249 posts

Posted:
wow, and i thought i was fit!!! i go to gymnastics four nights a weekfor three hours at a time (one hour of each session is strength, flex, and conditioning), rockclimb one night a week and run or ride my bike on the weekends. im not skinny though cos all the weight i lost training i gain at work (in the choccie shop). by the way mikeginny, you are NOT a true chocaholic because you cant even spell it!

[ 19. December 2002, 01:12: Message edited by: adren@line ]

Thistleold hand
950 posts

Posted:
Wing Chun or Ving Tsun kung fu is a traditional style of southern Chinese martial art. It is widely known as the style Bruce Lee studied before shooting to Hollywood fame.

Wing Chun is a subtle and complete system of Chinese Kung Fu, developed over hundreds of years, designed to be devastatingly effective as a fighting method and yet safe and healthy to practice.

Wing Chun exercises are scientific in approach and training is carried out in a friendly atmosphere of co-operation as opposed to one of aggressive competition, this allows students to develop freely and at their own pace.

Wing Chun does not pit strength against strength but rather employs its unique understanding of angles and sensitivity to force in order to over come aggression Therefore, a small or physically weaker victim who is skilled in Wing Chun, can overcome an attack from a much bigger and stronger assailant. This makes Wing Chun also ideal for Women's Self Defence.

The basic Wing Chun stance is closely related to positions used in Tai Chi, Qi -Gong and Yoga (as well as some more esoteric tantric sexual practices!), all of which are now recognised as being excellent forms of healthy exercise. If you train the Wing Chun forms on a daily basis, your posture and circulation will be improved, musculature developed and joints loosened and stretched. This will translate into better confidence, general well-being and a healthy lifestyle.

PK Thanks, you say the loveliest things. SNOOPoi will be starting Wing Chun training herself in the new year so I will have another opportunity to be proud of her (and we will have a legitamate excuse for fighting ). I have found time to practice poi this week and have managed to incorporate 2 new moves into my routine

[ 18. December 2002, 04:59: Message edited by: Thistle ]

Are we nearly there yet?

enlliwmember
16 posts

Posted:
It is not really a form of excersise, but i do go surfing as much as possible, even in the bloody cold Atlantic and i really love it. The only problem is that i builds up such a appitite that afterwards all i want to do is eat!!

if you do not suceed try try again

Thistleold hand
950 posts

Posted:
enlliw, I would disagree. Surfing is a form of excercise, all that swimming and balancing on the board must improve your muscular fitness.

Are we nearly there yet?

pkBRONZE Member
Lambretta Fanatic
4,997 posts

Posted:
yay some one from plymouth and cardiff, have we met????

PeleBRONZE Member
the henna lady
6,193 posts

Posted:
Does having "ice cream" count?
I used to do alot more, but my accident set me back a bit, but it all tended to focus around performing anyway....
So, now that I am getting back the ability to work out and still breathe, I find I am *really* out of shape (need to lose 20 lbs. or tone away 10 lbs).
To get back in shape I dance at least 1 hr of bellydance each morning, quick warm up and cool down of yoga/pilates stretching (I alternate), and sets of crunches. I also do some balance training. I like to wake up this way.

In January I will be taking up a bit more.

Monday nights are hula/polynesian dance classes. This is also a rehearsal night.
Tuesday nights are African dance.
Wednesday I will be teaching Belly dance.
Thursday nights are Salsa dance.
Friday nights I will be taking other forms of belly and teaching poi. This is also rehearsal night.

I perform weekends too, which is high impact for me, even acting. My son will be joining me for quite a bit of this as well, not for the dancing (unless he changes his mind) but for learning to play the instruments while I am dancing.
I am also trying to fit in my other physical arts, but need to add them in more slowly. In the end, in the past and in the future, I have spent at least 2 1/2 hours (usually much more) 5 days a week doing this stuff more out of love for it than health reasons.

When I can I also enjoy hiking/walking, swimming, biking, etc.... and try to do so as much as possible when the weather allows. I just can't get into a gym. I get so bored!
MikeG. is right, as usual . It is always better with friends, though I find my pace when walking with others slows down so we can talk! LOL

Other side notes of possible interest that I learned when getting the health/herbalism cert.
If you are doing toning reps, more than 30 reps is actually muscle building and not toning, which is why in aerobic style classes you don't do tonnes of reps in a row. The muscles need to rest between reps.
Also if you do something consistently each day for 3 weeks it becomes habitual.

Pele
Higher, higher burning fire...making music like a choir
"Oooh look! A pub!" -exclaimed after recovering from a stupid fall
"And for the decadence of art, nothing beats a roaring fire." -TMK

Thistleold hand
950 posts

Posted:
Bovril Monkey, you could give your local council a ring and ask them about adult only sessions. I stopped going to my local pool for the same reason, but today at the gym the instructor told me about this option

Are we nearly there yet?

flidBRONZE Member
Carpal \'Tunnel
3,136 posts

Posted:
in the past 2 weeks I've gone to gym 6 times, played badminton 3 times and had 6 games of bowling.

However in the past year I've gone to gym 8 times, but you don't need to know that

My goal is to be able to do poi topless this comming summer without making people balk

Bram....member
1,551 posts

Posted:
Poi, martial arts, and in the weight room, leg curls, leg press, bench press (70-110 lbs, depending on how many I wanna do, etc.) bar dips, knee lifts, wide bar pull down, wide bar push down, sit ups, push ups, bike, military presses, etc. oh and we can't forget playing tag with medicine balls

You. Its whats for dinner!

As time passes, you realise all the mistakes you amde and the ones you wish you never did make.

The wave crashing on the beach

dulce flamesmember
234 posts

Posted:
I love hearing about people's work out methods. I like to steal ideas to change things up! Mine have changed a lot over the last few years due to traveling and moving, but I've picked up some good routines and ideas along the way. Most recently I play basketball one night a week competitively, bodyboard one day a week (+ or -depending on conditions), do ashtanga Yoga 1 to 2 times a week, belly dance, do poi, sing, and try to throw in situps and pushups. When I'm being good (or the water's warm), I do lots more of all these activities. Lately I've kind of lagged a bit, but I'll catch up again before spring time! Meanwhile, more poi and hula hoop in the living room!

hey Mike - you're coming down here soon, right?

MikeGinnyGOLD Member
HOP Mad Doctor
13,925 posts

Posted:
Dulce...a bit over a week. I'll be in contact once I'm in Santa Barbara.

-Mike

Frazzlemember
105 posts

Posted:
I do Tae Bo at least twice a week which is like aerobic kick-boxing.It`s fantastically energising and great for toning up. I also do a lot of walking since I live near some beautiful hills and I love swimming in the sea when I can get to the coast.

Happiness is a journey,not a destination

CharlesBRONZE Member
Corporate Circus Arts Entertainer
3,989 posts

Posted:
hmmm...exercise aye?

I don't really have time to exercise.

With all my firestaffing, juggling, unicycling, balloon sculpting and constant snuggling with my beautiful wife, how on earth would I find time to exercise...?

Then again, my doc seems to think I'm pretty fit for my age. Wierd aye?

HoP Posting Guidelines
* Is it the Truth?
* Is it Fair to all concerned?
* Will it build Goodwill and Better Friendships?
* Will it be Beneficial to all concerned?

MikeGinnyGOLD Member
HOP Mad Doctor
13,925 posts

Posted:
One of those "eh...it's effortless!" wackos, huh, Charles?

I hate you.

-Mike

CharlesBRONZE Member
Corporate Circus Arts Entertainer
3,989 posts

Posted:
Tell you what, you ride 15 kilometres on a 20" unicycle, and then tell me how effortless it is

It's not the effort that involved with exercise, it's making sure it is fun, so you want to keep doing it.

Which is what the original thread was sortof asking...

HoP Posting Guidelines
* Is it the Truth?
* Is it Fair to all concerned?
* Will it build Goodwill and Better Friendships?
* Will it be Beneficial to all concerned?

dromepixieveteran
1,463 posts

Posted:
I do many things these days. Being 'on the go' is stressful and takes lots of energy. I also spin and train different things when I have spare moments.

I do intend on doing many things I have had experience with:
tai chi
yoga
capoeira
acrobatics
amongst several different disciplines of the mind.

Exercise is fun!
But everyone has to find the one thats right for them.

love and hugs
drome

JUGGLEwithyourmind!

Bendymember
750 posts

Posted:
I am also a gym fan - and at $40/year it is the best value membership I know of! I like working out with weights and I also use the rowing machine.

I like bikeling (similar to cycling but without the goofy bike pants and "sponsor" covered cycling shirts) both on and off road.

Oh and my gf helps keep me cardio fit...

Courage is the man who can stop after only one peanut

tadpoleGOLD Member
enthusiast
200 posts

Posted:
My God, all these fit, healthy people!!!
My idea of a full body workout is to drink standing up, rather than slouching on a couch.

Saying that, I manage to keep fit by running up bills and avoiding my boss at work, which is a full time job.

Don't worry, be happy...

Page: