Page:
RovoGOLD Member
(the person actually known as Chris Bailey)
544 posts

Posted:
I've been thinking about this a bunch today. I know some people on this site concentrate on learning all they can about a certain discipline i.e. contact poi, hyperloops/airwraps, isolations, throws, etc.

Do some of you out there just concentrate on one family of moves to try and get as far as you can in that direction, or do you learn a little bit of everything? If you mainly concentrate on one thing, what is is that you mainly work on?

I learn a little bit of everything myself. By learning a little bit of everything, as time goes on I figure I'll eventually learn alot of everything. ubblol Plus to me figuring out one pattern helps with learning a whole bunch of others, even if it might seem like they are related at all.

Peace, Love, Circles

spiralxveteran
1,376 posts

Posted:
You can start bfloops either inside (tangling from a butterfly buzzsaw) or outside (tangling from butterfly/TTN).

On the outside you can tangle with either poi closer to you - which one is closer determines the easy direction to turn in. On the inside you've got basically the same - whether it's left poi forward/right poi backwards or vice versa. Again it determines the easy direction to turn the tangle.

Then you can tangle either when the poi cross at the top or the bottom of their spin. Or if you're trying split-time bfloops, when they cross on the left or on the right wink

And of course you can start the tangle on your left side or on your right side. And move it either direction.

Hence why it's taking me a while to get them all working ubblol

"Moo," said the happy cow.

RevBRONZE Member
Bastard Newbie Messiah
1,269 posts

Posted:
I found its a whole lot easier to start my bf tangles from an inversion (buzzsaw) rather than outside or inside.. I started with outside and insides, but later realized I was just doing them the hard way... I still use the outsides forhyperloops and stuff..

More useless information courtesy of Rev...
Confusing the masses, one post at a time...
"Obviously, you're not a golfer.."- The Dude
"Buy the ticket... Take the ride..." -Raoul Duke
"FEMA has never done catastrophe planning..."-Michael Brown

spiralxveteran
1,376 posts

Posted:
Ok, when I said "inside entry" I guess I actually meant "inverted entry" wink :P

But yes, you can do them from an inside entry. Or start outside and then bring them between the arms, which is another set of bfloops I've been working on wink

"Moo," said the happy cow.

mr squirrelmember
37 posts

Posted:
Written by: spiralx

BFloops - 4 entries at each position - left/right led, top/bottom entry - can you do all four in left/right wall plane (inside entries) and left/right wheel plane (outside entries) ?

hehehe spiralx, are you trying to subvert this tread into yet more threads on butterfly loops that I cant understand?

ah yes, focus... and what was that old saying? "the true master is a student of everything". i fail to spin along these lines, coz while i get into every aspect of poi i can, the more i get into stuff, the more my spinning suffers - locked into pockets of only practicing one thing to distraction to get to the bottom of it. i scratch the surface... and incorporate things into a (messy) flow, then i get hooked on something and that's it for a week (or a month) i guess my focus has ultimately become breaking every code of poi that i come across from spinning or from other people giving me inspiration. you could call it puzzle solving. then again, i have days when i just like to spin one pattern for half an hour and enjoy how it all fits together.

did i leave the iron on?

shen shuiSILVER Member
no excuses. no apologies.
1,799 posts

Posted:
thanks for your description, spiralx, that really helps! biggrin looking forward to playing with these babies later on...

so yeah i've been playing around with isolating buzzsaws and letting them tangle over each other a bit.

and with hyperlooping it for a few beats and then tangling them up (all over my wrists etc), wrapping them and then untangling them again. its lovely fun...!

and things like (ie) reverse butterfly double wrist wrap to double bicep wrap (and sometimes when it comes outta this they tangle for a beat or two)..

and of course, throws n contacts. greeaaaaat fun.

not that i want to give too much away, though... wink one day a video will emerge...

smile

those that know, dont say. those that say, dont know.

SeyeSILVER Member
Geek
1,261 posts

Posted:
Written by: [Nx?

]
i cant focus... too many diffrent toys.... to many bongs

T wave

I was going to post almost the same thing earlier but I got distracted and forgot redface

Saskeahmember
43 posts

Posted:
I both juggle and do poi, and I find that I'm much more focussed in juggling than I am in poi, for the basic reason that there are morepeople around that know much more about juggling, so I can really experiment in a bunch of areas and have help and stuff. With no one here who really does poi besides myself and the couple of people who I teach, I find it difficult to branch into other areas, since mostly I don't know them.

With poi right now, I find that my biggest problems are learning new tricks when I don't have anyone around to show me anything, getting motivated, flow and transitions, and speed between moves. I love fire, but it's winter, so I can't do much of that (ie. today? stuck inside because there's snow up to the windows on my house. yay weekend...). I'd appreciate having some people around to play with! haha.

EpsilonKiasNote to self... Fur + Fire = Hurt.
107 posts

Posted:
Hmm... I've been focusing on UTL and Tosses currently. Of course, I always deal with wraps. Im working on UTL Wrap Combos at the moment. Bloody things annoy me half to hell.

With tosses, I've been trying to get a more Juggling-like feel to it, Almost like Juggling two clubs or summat. The problem being the small area to catch and the sometimes odd things that happen to chains and string after hitting your hand

With UTL, I've been working on 5bt UTL weaves, The wrap combos afore mentioned and UTL Orbitals/Hyperloops. Aslo with some UTL Tosses and you've pretty much got what im gonna start learning,

FireTomStargazer
6,650 posts

Posted:
I'm somehow blurred and therefore learn to bite a very thing.. errm... therefore learn a bit of every thing... rolleyes wink

@Saskeah: OK - Newfoundland in Winter, there is not much happening in outdoor spinning and meeting many other spinners, but for SURE there are a bunch of spinners in Canada!
I met a few on my travels and there are GREAT ones, too. If you go to the canadian big cities, sure enough you find flocks of poippl!

the best smiles are the ones you lead to wink

shen shuiSILVER Member
no excuses. no apologies.
1,799 posts

Posted:
epsilon: have you tried wibbling your throws? that makes them easier to catch...

those that know, dont say. those that say, dont know.

Page: