Forums > Technical Discussion > Fire Poi - Buying a set; any reccomendations?

Login/Join to Participate

DaizBRONZE Member
Radioactive Member
106 posts

Posted:
I'm wondering about the quality of Cathedral Twisted Oval Link fire poi. Is it good for speed? I'm aiming for a durable, fast, and awesome fire poi set, but my budget is around $100CAN. Any suggestions for good sets? I am not very experienced in fire poi, but I do know how to do poi with sandbags. I do not want to replace the set for over one year, so any suggestions?

I'm gonna cut you up so bad, you gonna wish I ain't cut you up so bad.

ImbalanceGOLD Member
not different, just not the same
263 posts

Posted:
i highly recommend either These or These

I personally use the first ones, though now I almost wish I had bought the second (my next purchase will deffinently be a monkeyfist).

Several reasons for my recommendations. These twisted oval link chains are EASY to un tangle (just pull and bounce a lil and presto they untangle). They don't catch/rip clothing. And the chains are very durable. HOP uses quality parts.

As for the wicks, I think the cathedrals are good for starting out. They aren't too heavy, and are a bit softer so you face/privates will be spared a bit of brusing (don't get me wrong though, it will still hurt when u get hit, just not as much as a monkey fist.)

Now that i've gotten a lot more advanced I want to get some monkey fist wicks as they tend to be a bit heavier and are a bit more aerodynamic. Have been experimenting with some friends monkeyfists and some moves just seem easier with them. They seem to just WANT to do Isolations and hyperloops much more than my cathedrals.

Many people on here will tell you to actually get a pair of socks (make your own or buy these from the hop shop). However I personally prefer to practice with my chains, though i may get some socks for working on some techy stuff at a later date.

Good luck and keep practicing.

I once learned every move that there was,
Every style, Every technique.
Then I woke up, and forgot it all,
So now I struggle to dream.

DaizBRONZE Member
Radioactive Member
106 posts

Posted:
Thanks a ton, I was actually thinking the first ones. I guess I'll be buying soon.

ducky2108A little bit of a board whore
147 posts

Posted:
Fantastic. Someone else who actually like to practice with chains.

I'm looked on as a bit odd for doing that sometimes.

Ancient wiseman say "It is very strange person, who, when left alone in room with teacosy, does not try it on"

n8xxSILVER Member
11 posts

Posted:
https://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?Vie...E%3AIT&rd=1

these don't cost much and last a long time. great for beginers. (wick not too huge or overwhelming.)

UCOFSILVER Member
15,417 posts

Posted:
spank tongue

1) Im ALWAYS dubious about buying fire equipment from Ebay.

Ebay is great in the way that it allows anyone to sell anything.
Ebay is rubbish in the way that it allows anyone to sell anything.

People could sell shoddy and potentially lethal fire equipment, and will not be able to guarentee the products like a "shop" shop can. If theres a problem, or if something goes wrong with them, at least if its a proper shop, they can be contacted.

2) "Ball chain is very unreliable, it can't hold much weight, and over time it WILL come apart with very little weight or pull" umm Lots of people say this. I belive they are wrong. I have had the same ball cahin on my 2.5inch tube cores for about 2 years now. Only snapped once but that was because I was standing on the head, and pulled the chain as hard as I could.
This is the thin ball chain ( <3mm per link), not the fat stuff btw.
Im sure EVERY type of chain will come apart...eventually.

3) What sort of kevlar are you using? Is it the DuPont stuff or the Thai white? umm

4) You shouldnt be advertising other products on HOP though. Malcolm (the owner) didnt pay your Ebay listing fee, so dont use the space he did pay for to advertise your stuff wink

Suibomaddict
577 posts

Posted:
Written by:

these don't cost much and last a long time. great for beginers. (wick not too huge or overwhelming.)

Bad form.. and the fact that you talk about using surgical tubing to spin fire makes me heavily doubt any safety precautions ( [Old link] )..

Definition of poi- A Hawaiian food made from the tuber of the taro that is cooked, pounded to a paste, and fermented.

Ahnold discussing poi - "It is naht a toober!"

UCOFSILVER Member
15,417 posts

Posted:
Cor blimey N8xx, I didnt realise how old school you are! eek

Even more spankings then! spank spank spank

DaizBRONZE Member
Radioactive Member
106 posts

Posted:
Written by: UraniumChipOxidationFacility

Cor blimey N8xx, I didnt realise how old school you are! eek

Even more spankings then! spank spank spank

*Rings bell* Let the spanking begin!

[Nx?]BRONZE Member
Carpal \'Tunnel
3,749 posts

Posted:
you can tell thease poi are no good cos the demonstartion model is doing the classic 'lie back and do a dodgy butterfly ttn' move.

however, tepooka toys sell on ebay, and thier stuff is great.

If you want something fast, buy small wicks, not monkeys, they are show, tube core, as long as its well made with little explosed metal, is ideal for begginers.

T wave

This is a post by tom, all spelling is deleberate
-><- Kallisti