Page:
maximeSILVER Member
17 posts

Posted:
The more i get around fellow poiers, the stronger the impression that dreadlocks is a necessary hairstyle for poiers gets…

My concern now is that I'll never ever be able to grow dreads. Not that I dont like it, but my hair just dont allow me to.

Is that a problem?

biggrin

EDITED_BY: maxime (1139569629)

Pour vous servir.

LahuKalennewbie
20 posts

Posted:
I have wanted dreads for a long time, and particularly as I also do tribal bellydance, it would rock to have them (example: Michelle Campbell of The Indigo.

Anyway, I won't get them for 2 reasons; in the future I'll be hoping to land a job in an industry where people are huge on appearances and so I'm gonna keep my regular curls for that (it kinda sucks coz in my current job nobody would care, but whatcha gonna do).

The other reason is my boyfriend doesn't really like dreads - it's not like I'm preventing myself from doing something I don't want to do for his sake. I mean, he doesn't like tatts either and I'm planning to get a couple of those soon. biggrin But it's not really much skin off my nose to not get dreads, so coz of that, I don't really mind not getting them if it means he's like a teency tiny bit happier.

ThumperabbitBRONZE Member
Zebberdy and Jack Daniels
278 posts

Posted:
Question, I want dreadlocks, except I got fairly short hair. What lenght dreads can i get if my hair is already about 8 Inches long everywhere.

The only reason i'm scared of little kid's is because I know in ten year's time they'll be mugging me.....

DuncGOLD Member
playing the days away
7,263 posts

Posted:
I don't have dreads, it's hard enough work for me keeping hair on top of my head!! I used to have nice long curly locks but the baldy fairy took them away and left me with a cold bonce that gets sun burnt in summer! frown

Although the sides are still quick thickly populated with hair, be it mostly grey it's still there. Perhaps I should grow the sides and dread them, I can be the dreaded version of Terry Nutkins!

For reference outside the uk....this is Terry Nutkins, the man who feeds fingers to otters

Non-Https Image Link

Let's relight this forum ubblove

Theo_SILVER Member
Dirty Hippie
347 posts

Posted:
yay i got dreads!!! thank you froggy n emma for helping loads! i love em n they rock! wooo! i'm happy now! wonder what my gf will say.... tongue

for every minute angry, you loose 60 seconds of happiness

Dragon7GOLD Member
addict
625 posts

Posted:
Ay i feel for ya Dunc! grouphug

Congrats Theo! Welcome home smile

Iv had dreads since i was 17, i usually cut them every few years and go skin head! smile This usually has something to do with the police strip searching me for my "rugged good looks" wink ubblol thats is a MAJOR downer of having them; the social stigma. Most of the time i wear it up; so i dont look like the rebel leader wink ubblol

Right now im going with plats smile they are just as cool and people still call me "Dread"! If you cant have dreads, plats are the next best thing; tho dreads are eaiser to manage and lots cheaper wink Probibly turn my plats into dreads sooner or later.

There are some downers when you burn with dreads, like the bun or top knot. Iv had my firepoi tangle in them a fair bit and im trying to invent "dread wraps" with non fire when ya roll them round your top knot ubblol biggrin

Neon_ShaolinGOLD Member
hehe, 'Member' huhuh
6,120 posts

Posted:
Yeah, the poi meet on Sunday got quite hairy and I got paranoid that poi would hit my head and ignite the wax in there (but does wax actually ignite?)

Mum hates them now as much I as when i had them years ago but dad's lost all faith in me anyway so he didn't flinch when i came home with them

"I used to want to change the world, now I just wanna leave the room with a little dignity..." - Lotus Weinstock

PyrolificBRONZE Member
Returning to a unique state of Equilibrium
3,289 posts

Posted:
eh - Ive never had any problems careerwise with my dreads, but they are neat dreads. I think its much more about how you carry them than about what they are actually like.

If you are good at what you do, you will get just about any job with dreads. I guess the only ones you wont get are ones where you are coming in contact with superfical people all the time as part of your job, or where being superficial makes money - both career paths Im not interested in so its not an issue for me.

Josh

--
Help! My personality got stuck in this signature machine and I cant get it out!

Pogo69SILVER Member
there's no charge for awesomeness... or attractiveness
3,764 posts

Posted:
I'm a computer programmer, have always worked in a professional, predominantly suit wearing environment and currently have my 3rd set of dreads.

I managed to avoid any negative reactions to them for the last 2 1/2 years by working for myself from home. All my interaction with clients was online, so I could "meet" them in my underwear if I wanted to.

I've now had to get a "real" job, so it's back to the "suit" and having to look "professional". Was a little worried about having to interview etc, but I agree with others... know your stuff, "act" professional, be confident and make sure the knots are neat and tidy and it'll all be good.

OK, so I already knew the guy I now work for, so his only real reaction was one of shock when I met him for the interview - last time he saw me I was bald, now shoulder length (relatively new) dreads.

--pogo (pat) [forever and always]

Sporkyaddict
663 posts

Posted:
I've had to lose my dreadies frown I'm looking for a new job so they had to go. I spent two days combing them out which is sad but at least I still have hair to put them back in when I've got something biggrin

Have faith in what you can do and respect for what you can't

TinklePantsGOLD Member
Clique Infiltrator, Cunning Linguist and Master Debator
4,219 posts

Posted:
won't be long before I get my dreadies! Had to break up with bf of 4 years to get them but i'm sure it worth it ubblol

Always use "so's your face" and "only on Tuesdays" in as many conversations possible

UCOFSILVER Member
15,417 posts

Posted:
biggrin
bounce

Im trying to dread hair other than that on my head....

TinklePantsGOLD Member
4,219 posts

Posted:
the ones on your legs Jon? biggrin

Always use "so's your face" and "only on Tuesdays" in as many conversations possible

UCOFSILVER Member
15,417 posts

Posted:
im tryign to dread them to the hairs on my arms.
yes.

smile

TinklePantsGOLD Member
4,219 posts

Posted:
will you be walking hunched over then? just dont walk past any gaybars huh tongue

Neon_ShaolinGOLD Member
hehe, 'Member' huhuh
6,120 posts

Posted:
 Written by: TinklePants

won't be long before I get my dreadies! Had to break up with bf of 4 years to get them but i'm sure it worth it ubblol

Good for you Tinks. I'm sure there were deeper issues than that of hairstyles but it seems that something was wrong if he objected to something as trivial as that. See you in the queue for beeswax.

And UCOF, I had a sadisitc [censored] do my dreads. Want me to put you in touch for your 'sensitive areas'?

"I used to want to change the world, now I just wanna leave the room with a little dignity..." - Lotus Weinstock

burningoftheclaveySILVER Member
lurking like a ninja with no camouflage..
926 posts

Posted:
one week till dreadlocky goodness for moi!! ive been wanting them so long.... *sigh*

smile

on spam robots - "Burn the robot! Melt him down, and then we can make lots and lots of money from his shiiiny juices!"

Owned by Brenn smile

simtaBRONZE Member
compfuzzled
1,182 posts

Posted:
i braided my hair last september and have left them to dread, im not using any wax or anything like that, and am jus leaving it all to bond naturally, i know its gonna take longer, but im gonna have them forever anyways so i dont mind waiting.

they are looking like im gonna have some really super thick dreads, bout 2 yrs they prob look perfect.

but if i really need them to look neat i can jus tie my hair into a bun n it looks quite tidy.

"the geeks have got you" - Gayle

alien_oddityCarpal \'Tunnel
7,193 posts

Posted:
(le sigh) i'm STILL waiting for mine to be done frown

my mate keeps putting me off, i think because she spent 14 hours doing a mates and 2 days later he brushed them out and complaned they smelled eek

UCOFSILVER Member
15,417 posts

Posted:
 Written by: Neon Shaolin

Want me to put you in touch for your 'sensitive areas'?

Where did I say anything about my sensitive parts? umm

Neon_ShaolinGOLD Member
hehe, 'Member' huhuh
6,120 posts

Posted:
The assumption being that if not your head, any other area of your body would be extremely sensitive to the dreading process. (This includes the legs)

Therefore would you like my sadistic friend who did mine to tend to those areas? He'll be gentle...

UCOFSILVER Member
15,417 posts

Posted:
Im as sensitive as a brick...

ubbangel

Neon_ShaolinGOLD Member
hehe, 'Member' huhuh
6,120 posts

Posted:
Wouldn't mind if I chuck you through a few shop windows then....? biggrin

.:star:.SILVER Member
Pooh-Bah
1,785 posts

Posted:
I have been trying to wash all the wax out of my dreads over the last few weeks and its looking lots better for it. It took quite a few washes and lots of rather hot water but I'm definately pleased that I have done it. I've only had dreads for a few months and it was a month or so before i realised that wax really doesn't help. Infact, wax hinders the locking process.

After realising that wax is evil i had a look round on the internet and found this...its a bit of an angry rant but it makes sense. Thought I'd share it with you dready people who are using or are thinking about using wax

Written by: a dready forum

Mythbusters: What Knottyboy and DreadheadHQ didn’t tell you. (A short FAQ for those spoonfed by wax companies)

Too often, people join Knottylocks asking how much wax to use or if, perhaps, they are aren‘t using enough, or too much, or why their locks look like crap. Nine out of ten times, we tell these new members that they don’t need wax. Usually, about a month or two later, these are the same people complain about their locks looking like crap (looking the same as the day they first backcombed them). If you are one of these people, please listen to us! The only reason that Knottylocks.tk exists is because Knottyboy.com closed their forum due to people spreading the word that wax is unnecessary.

Knottyboy and DreadheadHQ will do just about anything to sell you their products. If you have just learned of knotty locks, then good. It’s not too late do dispel the myths they have been telling you. Mainly, that you need wax. This is their biggest lie. Many people were deceived into thinking that you NEED wax to make nice clean knots in your hair, when in fact this is not true. Locks have existed since the beginning of time, and these companies have only been making wax since 1998? (knotty boy).

The truth about these companies is that they just want to sell you some ****ty wax that will stop your knots from forming. This causes people to panic that their hair isn’t locking up, so they use more wax. The only way to form REAL KNOTS is with (say it with me here) TIME. And anybody with real locks will tell you that. No amount of wax will give you some instantly neat and tight locks. Impossible.
Below are a few short quotes pulled from these wax companies’ websites and my response to them.

Written by: knottyboy website

the GOOD news is that Knotty Boy Dread Wax helps speed up the whole process of "letting them come together" in a BIG way, binding those locks together so they don't come apart in the soft, new dready stages, and lets them get a good head-start

That’s the biggest misconception Knottyboy and DreadheadHQ want to put out there. YOU DO NOT NEED WAX TO MAKE LOCKS. Wax simply acts as glue, holding your hair in the same place. Locks need to move to get tighter. Wax can only hurt new locks. You will get more progress using your own aloe vera gel, salt water, or simply nothing at all.

Written by:

Knotty Boy keeps them together a lot better than if you were using nothing at all and just letting them mat up randomly over the years. And that's the good news!

Look around Knottylocks and see how many people wish they hadn’t used wax, or didn’t use wax and their hair turned out fine. In fact, there are a few pictures floating around here that shows a dread cut in half to show the built up wax that hindered the locking process.

Written by:

Contrary to popular belief, using an all-natural product like Knotty Boy does not create ‘fake’ or ‘unnatural’ dreads - but rather, it utilizes the properties of natural, earthgrown ingredients to facilitate and speed up the natural process of dreading. Nothing unnatural happens when you use Knotty Boy - it just helps to make better dreads, faster!

Yeah because putting goop in y our hair helps make “better dreads, faster!”. The truth is that hair tangles up on its own. It’s an invention of mother nature and no amount of wax will help to create knots. Horses get tight locks in their manes on accident, dogs do, wild animals get them, anybody who doesn’t brush their long hair will get them eventually. They didn’t use wax

Written by:

When you wash, give your scalp a really good scrub with the Knotty Boy Dread Shampoo Bar or Liquid Shampoo . Don't use regular shampoos from the drug store or salons - they contain conditioners and other chemicals that soften and detangle hair, not knot it up!

You don’t need Knottyboy’s shampoo, nor do you need HQ’s shampoo. They will do fine for your hair, of course, but what works just the same for a much much lower price, is Dr. Bronner’s bar or liquid shampoo. Any natural glycerin or tea tree shampoo will work. The only criteria for making a shampoo “dread friendly” is that it contains no conditioners, no SLS, and no residues.

Written by:

You will need the following stuff :…(A jar o'Knotty Boy Dread Wax)

It’s been said before. You don’t need wax.

Written by:

If I use a blow drier will that help set up and dry out the dreads after I've waxed? What about going to a hairdresser and asking to sit in the perm chair? Will that help the dreads set?
Yes, heat really helps melt the wax into the dreads and stick 'em all together. Try it with a blow-dryer, or sitting in the sun, and if you can sit in the perm chair, that's an even faster way of doing it. This isn't completely necessary for good locks, though, just another thing you can try to speed up the process.

Using a blow dryer right after you are all freshly waxed will also melt the wax right into your dread, realllly saturating it. This is also great if you can see the wax at all, or if it's making your hair look a little dull. Blow drying each dread till the wax melts will fix these probs easily!

DON’T USE A BLOWDRYER ON WAX!

It will only push the goop deep into the center of your “dreads” and create candles from the inside out. Candles are not locks.

Written by:

Can you tell me what Knotty Boy Dread Wax exactly does to get dreads all tangled up??
Knotty Boy Dread Wax binds the undreaded hair together really tight so that your new dreads get a good chance to knot up, rather than them just getting matted over time and after not washing for months and gross stuff like that. It lets them start dreading right away, plus it makes you look like you have dreads even if it's the first day you put the stuff in your hair. It's still just tangled hair for the first few weeks, but then those locks start getting tighter and harder, and that's when they're turning into dreads! Usually this process takes months, even years without anything in your dreads to help – Knotty Boy Dread Wax gets them going in a matter of weeks.

How would beeswax create knots? Simply by sitting in your hair it will make your hair knotted?

Written by:

Believe it or not, we're not all about selling you dreadlock products! True, the products we've developed are, in fact, helping thousands of people out there achieve healthy, happy dreadlocks easily and naturally, and we would never, ever sell our customers a product that was all hype and no results.

Are you kidding me?

***following items in quotes pulled from www.dreadheadhq.com website***

Written by:

For really severe lumps that you have to do something about you'll need to comb them out. Just start at the tip and comb the hair out with the dread comb working you way toward the bump. Comb it out and then redread it. Work your way back to the tip. Use a rubber band and some wax to hold the tip tight while it re-dreads. Some loops and lumps add character or at least I think so, dreads are not supposed to be absolutely perfect and symmetrical.

That’s a brilliant idea! Undo what time has done for you just to get rid of some loops! Retarted!
Loops are a natural part of having new locks, the more loops you have, the tighter your locks will be. Loops are simply the locks shrinking and getting tighter. This is definitely what you want your young dreads to do.

Written by:

It's a good idea not to backcomb any more after the 2nd week or so. Rubberbands will hold it tight

Don’t backcomb after the first time. Any more than that is unnecessary, and in fact, will do more damage by untangling the natural knots that are forming in your hair.

The bottom line is that these companies will tell you anything just to get you to buy their products. Wax is unnecessary, as well as these overpriced, bloated wax companies that continue to spread lies about the most natural thing in the world. -Locks are a natural beauty, something that you don’t need to try to rush or goop up with wax.

If you want to get the wax out of your hair try dissolving baking soda in hot water and rinsing your hair in it. Cider vinegar also works well. Obviously shampoo/soap works pretty well too(just make sure you don't use a shampoo or soap that leaves a residue or has any conditioner in it). Don't worry about washing your hair damaging it, washing your dreads is really good for them!! You should wash your hair 2-3 times a week, other wise they will be smelly!! Washing helps lock them up lots quicker than if you just leave them to get all greasy and smelly

GothFrogetteBRONZE Member
grumpy poorly froggy
3,999 posts

Posted:
my dreads were born at Falmouth 4 and i have never looked back.

Life's too short to worry about where you put your marshmallows

polaritySILVER Member
veteran
1,228 posts

Posted:
Completely wax free here biggrin

It takes a lot more work than just backcombing and wax. Lots of rolling and a bit of crocheting helped. Mine got a lot better over 3 months because they had wool woven into them, so they couldn't come undone for that period and got a lot tighter.

I only wash mine with soap. Nag Champa for preference.

You aren't thinking or really existing unless you're willing to risk even your own sanity in the judgment of your existence.

Green peppers, lime pickle and whole-grain mustard = best sandwich filling.

Pogo69SILVER Member
3,764 posts

Posted:
 Written by: polarity

Completely wax free here biggrin

same here now... I was waxing mine up about once a week, but decided to give the wax away for a while...

they're now, not as neat and tidy (cause the wax makes them "look" tidy and straight), but they're finally (some more than others) starting to knot up properly...!! bounce

Pogo69SILVER Member
3,764 posts

Posted:
I do need to find a way to tie them back though... they're about shoulder length and not quite long enough for all of them to be pulled back in a hair tie... I freak out a bit sometimes when I feel the flame come close and they're flying around all over the place...

might have to stick with the bandana for now... confused

OrangeBoboSILVER Member
veteran
1,389 posts

Posted:
I used KB for my dreads, and yeah, they looked bad for the first while, but whose doesn't? shrug I think it really did help my dreads form, as did wrapping them up (in orange yarn, none the less!!) I don't use wax now, because it really doesn't do much for them. My biggest problem now is that the fine hair around my temples and the back of my neck just won't dread, and haven't for over a year. But... I don't really mind! Though, my dad says it looks like crap, but he's always said that since I first got my dreads tongue Fathers! I think the wax issue depends on what kind of hair you have, and how much you put in, etc... But honestly, it did the job for me! (I do blieve Flynt used KB for her dreads too, and hers are totally fab!)

~ Bobo

wie weit, wie weit noch?
fragst mich, wo wir gewesen sind...
du fehlst hier

SixthSILVER Member
Devil May Cry
327 posts

Posted:
no dreads for me biggrin going for the sephiroth look ubblol jk

I give hope to others but I keep none for myself.

GnorBRONZE Member
Carpal \'Tunnel
5,814 posts

Posted:
Headscarfs fix the fluffy head I think Bobo.

Ive been making felt dread extenders. They look lush

Is it the Truth?
Is it Fair to all concerned?
Will it build Goodwill and Better Friendships?
Will it be Beneficial to all concerned?

Im in a lonely battle with the world with a fish to match the chip on my shoulder. Gnu in Binnu in a cnu

Page: