Page:
maximeSILVER Member
17 posts

Posted:
The more i get around fellow poiers, the stronger the impression that dreadlocks is a necessary hairstyle for poiers gets…

My concern now is that I'll never ever be able to grow dreads. Not that I dont like it, but my hair just dont allow me to.

Is that a problem?

biggrin

EDITED_BY: maxime (1139569629)

Pour vous servir.

morwenna_teanewbie
30 posts

Posted:
I have dreadies! I like them they are fun. Strangers ask to touch them etc you meet a lot of people! And also in my opinion boys with dreads are really hot!

GidgBRONZE Member
Super Gidg!!!!
8,506 posts

Posted:
It's a personal choice. At home there are more people without than with. I have seem some that look great and some that I just want to shave off, yes they're that bad. But I know that I'll never have them.

Growing old is mandatory; growing up is NOT.
Proud member of the HoP DPS.
Sanity is a highly overrated state of mind.
I'm normal ... it's everyone else that's crazy.

Gidg

FlyntSILVER Member
Intrepid Penguin
5,635 posts

Posted:
I have wanted dreads since I was 12 years old (and that was a long time ago). I finally got them a couple of years ago.
I also spin, started doing that five years ago now.

Two entirely unrelated things, but I think you might see more dready people in spinning circles, because they seem to encorporate lifestyles that are more accepting to those sort of things?

same way that if you hang around people who like punk music, you might see more mowhawks...

*shrug*

One does not necessarily facilitate the other. I love my dreads, I also like other peoples hair who dont have dreads. The trick is see, to do whats best for your hair, and your lifestyle. If you have a job that you love, but isnt going to support dreads, then it probably wont work out the best for you. If you have thin hair, that wouldnt knot up well... same thing really.

smile

Currently on the right side up of the world.

ScillySpinnerSILVER Member
52 posts

Posted:
ok, compleatly unrelated but need some dread advise from all you dreadheads out there. I have had my dreads bout 1 month now but some (not alot, but a fair few) off my roots are getting quite loose and undoing kinda thing. I dont want to backcomb them as this just makes it worse as the dreads are knotting up nicly further down. What should I do?? its really anoying me. HELP!!!

Otherewise, I love my dreads!

Theo_SILVER Member
Dirty Hippie
347 posts

Posted:
hahaha! my mum just said i can get dreads. i would have done it without her opinion, but having her say yes made me feel alot better about getting them. i think its coz she really hates how i have my hair atm.

for every minute angry, you loose 60 seconds of happiness

alien_oddityCarpal \'Tunnel
7,193 posts

Posted:
YAY bounce i get my dreadlings in three weeks wooooooooooooooo

*dose a little jig*

for dread care scillyspinner look at https://www.knottyboy.com

(tinklepants sent me a link)

Sporkyaddict
663 posts

Posted:
My dreadlings are doing so well at the moment although they are hitting puberty, when you end up with strange kinks in them but they should grow out within a few weeks biggrin

Oh, btw the Body Shop coconut bees wax is also really good (and it smells nice)

Have faith in what you can do and respect for what you can't

7,193 posts

Posted:
my mate told me to get some bee's wax so hug thanks for the tip off OFS mmmmmmmmubblove coconut

Theo_SILVER Member
Dirty Hippie
347 posts

Posted:
is that any different to like dred wax that i've seen around?

7,193 posts

Posted:
no idea theo, my mate just said to get some bee's wax and she's do the rest

Sporkyaddict
663 posts

Posted:
Basically bees wax is the best thing to use. Anything containing petrolium wax or any similar additives you should leave well alond as it prevents the hair from locking up properly. I love coconut so it was a bit of a no brainer for me.

Have faith in what you can do and respect for what you can't

ScillySpinnerSILVER Member
52 posts

Posted:
you guys who are getting dreads................make sure you look after your dreads well or they will not look nice! you might think that you wont need to do much but it take some hard work for the first few weeks/months at least. My advise to you is to make sure you get some iccle elastic bands to put on the roots for the first few weeks as this will help the roots know up nice and not come undone like mine have started to do. I'm gunna get some bands to put on some of my roots although not sure if this will help as I've had my dreads for a bit now. anyway, happy dreading, get lots of vid's, food, an music coz you'll be sitting in one place for LONG time (it took my firends 18 hours to dread my hair and there were 3 of them!!! eeeeeeek). LOVE YOUR DERAD BABYS!!! XXX

OrangeBoboSILVER Member
veteran
1,389 posts

Posted:
For further dread talk on HoP... This thread is pretty old... But has some helpful tips on it!

[Old link]

Perhaps it can be rejuvinated? I know that's the main thread Flynt and I lived on for the begninng of our dreaded journey... It makes me giggle at how differently I talk now ^_^

Good luck guys!

~ Bobo

wie weit, wie weit noch?
fragst mich, wo wir gewesen sind...
du fehlst hier

UCOFSILVER Member
15,417 posts

Posted:
Written by: Theo

she really hates how i have my hair atm.

well... You do need a haircut..
the fringe at least..

wink

Theo_SILVER Member
Dirty Hippie
347 posts

Posted:
ok so i went to the body shop today to get that bees wax to do my dreds with, and they didn't have any... and leave my fringe out of this!

Rouge DragonBRONZE Member
Insert Champagne Here
13,215 posts

Posted:
I don't have dreads. Some day I want them. And I was thinking about getting them while I was in Europe but basically decided against because I'm too lazy and can't be bothered with looking after them, i needed a job when I got back, and my parents would kill me. Not to mention how much I love to play with my hair.

Mum told me when I got home that she had a terrible fear I was going to come home with dreads.

I think the connection is probably alternative lifestyles and open-mindedness.

i would have changed ***** to phallus, and claire to petey Petey

Rougie: but that's what I'm doing here
Arnwyn: what letting me adjust myself in your room?..don't you dare quote that on HoP...

morwenna_teanewbie
30 posts

Posted:
If any body wants dreads and doesn't know how to do them i'd be happy to do them for you. I love knotting up people's hair it is sssooo satisfying. I also have a load of wax hanging around that i don't need any more!

LBxSILVER Member
18 posts

Posted:
i'd love to have dreads but what if i got bored...shave my head.....god blessed me with ears that make me look like a trophy so skinhead ain't an opion, people would keep picking me up!

morwenna_teanewbie
30 posts

Posted:
ah! There is an alternative, my friend recently brushed all her dreads out, a painful experience, but it worked! You can get special shampoo etc to get them out.

chris19SILVER Member
17 posts

Posted:
I totally agree with you Flynt. Not anybody who wears dreads is a spinner and not every spinner has dreads. In fact I know more spinners without dreads than with. Your look, your ideals and your hobbies are not at all connected. weavesmiley
So never make up an opinion of somebody else just by what he looks like.

twirling greets

hilli billi

Think but never worry for tomorrow will come anyway

pounceSILVER Member
All the neurotic makings of America's lesser known sweetheart
9,831 posts

Posted:
i want dreads soooo bad but my profession isn't one to be super accepting of them. so alas, i'm stuck without and living vicariously through my dreaded friends *giggles* that sounds so funny tongue

I was always scared with my mother's obsession with the good scissors. It made me wonder if there were evil scissors lurking in the house somewhere.

Do not meddle in the affairs of dragons for you are crunchy and good with ketchup.

**giggles**

Theo_SILVER Member
Dirty Hippie
347 posts

Posted:
is it hard to get a real job with dreds?

pounceSILVER Member
9,831 posts

Posted:
i suppose it depends on where and what you mean by "real job" tongue

I was always scared with my mother's obsession with the good scissors. It made me wonder if there were evil scissors lurking in the house somewhere.

Do not meddle in the affairs of dragons for you are crunchy and good with ketchup.

**giggles**

Theo_SILVER Member
Dirty Hippie
347 posts

Posted:
i mean like one where you gets lots of money, and requires skilled work.

Neon_ShaolinGOLD Member
hehe, 'Member' huhuh
6,120 posts

Posted:
I'm getting dreadlocks again 2 years after taking them out the first time. I actually asked my bosses would I still have a job if I turned up at work with dreds and they were like 'err... yeah, why wouldn't it be?'. Yes it is (relatively) well paid and a skilled job. But not being a position where i have to meet the public probably helps.

So probably getting them next month. Yay!

"I used to want to change the world, now I just wanna leave the room with a little dignity..." - Lotus Weinstock

Theo_SILVER Member
Dirty Hippie
347 posts

Posted:
ooh ok. hmm now thinking about interviews.. if i get a job then get them done.. =D

pounceSILVER Member
9,831 posts

Posted:
honestly, i think it all depends on the job and the person interviewing you. cause while they like to tote the idea of objectivity based on skills only, it's not a fact. impressions mean a lot. and if the person interviewing you is conservative and dislikes dreads, then you're likely up [censored] creek.

part of it too, though, may be how you approach it. while this obviously is a little different....i've always worn my nose ring to interviews, but brought it up and told them i was willing to take it out. obviously you can't do that so simply with dreads. but the point i always made was "this is who i am, if you don't like it, you're not likely going to like me anyway."

however, i can say that attitude changed a lot when i got into my profession that i absolutely loved and realized sometimes you have to make sacrafices. i'm a psychologist, and it's not that is necessarily the issue....but i work with Family Court doing evals, testifying, all that jazz. and like it or not, someone with dreads and tons of noticeable piercings is going to be taken a lot less seriously in that arena. so i sacrifice it so i can still do what i love. i just get my piercings in hidden spots instead biggrin

**giggles**

OrangeBoboSILVER Member
veteran
1,389 posts

Posted:
I work part-time as well, at a resturaunt... I guess my dreads aren't that long or visible enough to really cause a problem. I just have to have them tied back for work, but that's the rule for anyone there if their hair is long enough to be in their eyes. Everyone I work with knows about my hair, and I've even had a few customers ask questions and even touch my hair! But I've never had any negative experiences at work due to my dreads (except when I was cleaning a chandelier, and one of the strings of glass beads attacked me and got caught in my hair ubblol)

My manager has no problem with my hair at all... So that's good. I plan on having my dreads for another couple years yet, so we'll see what happens... I hope that maybe someday I can do whatever it is that I'll be doing professionally, with them... But that's still a ways off!

~ Bobo

wie weit, wie weit noch?
fragst mich, wo wir gewesen sind...
du fehlst hier

AdeSILVER Member
Are we there yet?
1,897 posts

Posted:
Written by: Theo_

i mean like one where you gets lots of money, and requires skilled work.

Part of my job involves facilitating training programs and giving presentations to diverse groups...

I've got pretty long dreads and have had no hassles at all...

ubbrollsmile

fire flymember
56 posts

Posted:
i use to have dreads but iv had them more than once and i dont stop doing poi just cause i dont have dreads tongue i stoped for a bit cause i got a little one growing inside of me biggrin its a bit like saying everyone who has dreads does drugs its not true.

but i do miss my dreads (stupid cousin giving me nitz) eek

Page: