Page:
maximeSILVER Member
17 posts

Posted:
The more i get around fellow poiers, the stronger the impression that dreadlocks is a necessary hairstyle for poiers gets…

My concern now is that I'll never ever be able to grow dreads. Not that I dont like it, but my hair just dont allow me to.

Is that a problem?

biggrin

EDITED_BY: maxime (1139569629)

Pour vous servir.

Pogo69SILVER Member
there's no charge for awesomeness... or attractiveness
3,764 posts

Posted:
ye, I sleep with a bandana on... that's helped a lot with the flyaway hair...

in the end, there's only one thing guaranteed to help a good set of dreads... time

--pogo (pat) [forever and always]

faith enfireBRONZE Member
wandering thru the woods of WI
3,556 posts

Posted:
off topic that is my theme today
if you have dreads should you be offended if someone asks if you are a hippy
come on people put me in the proper thread

Faith
Nay, whatever comes one hour was sunlit and the most high gods may not make boast of any better thing than to have watched that hour as it passed

Neon_ShaolinGOLD Member
hehe, 'Member' huhuh
6,120 posts

Posted:
No. I can think of worse things to be classed as.

Just need to remember that they ask because its a world they don't understand and its an entry-point into a potential conversation or friendship.

I really don't mind being labelled a stereotype because it's all the more surprising for the labeller when the full-blooded person emerges from the pre-conceived image.

It's not really the question but more the way they ask. I don't mind if they're genuinely interested but if it's a case of 'WASH YOUR HAIR YA HIPPY!!!' then I will have to demonstrate my deadly accuracy in throwing frozen Quorn sausages...

"I used to want to change the world, now I just wanna leave the room with a little dignity..." - Lotus Weinstock

3,556 posts

Posted:
Nonono not me…my hair is a pain as it is…this girl gutterpunkish comes into the “hippy” bar with a head full of dreads…and starts raggin on bf about his punk sweatshirt…she got offended when he asked if she was a hippy-fit the perfect stereotypical what you see in movies-clothes attitude-cookie cutter…she looked like a hippy dammit and she’s to me “ you gave me a dirty look so I started in on your man here” ummmm ok…good for you…I don’t look very friendly, every one gets the same look…she got a specially dark one cause I got a bad feeling about her---oh and guess what $200 went missing from my apartment that night…after bf left her alone for about five minutes…
Story aside, she had the sweater and the dreads and the smell, she has a trailer, lived out of her van before she “settled here” rainbow family grateful dead hemp jewelry and herbs, partial/unofficial wiccan-damn hippy…if you don’t want a hippy label, don’t dress the cookie cutter part, cause if you do then, you’re just an argumentative…

No my hair is long and straight, getting ready for the renfair…maybe I can spin some turkey legs

stereotype: a shortcut to thinking
-jim morrison, doors movie

Faith
Nay, whatever comes one hour was sunlit and the most high gods may not make boast of any better thing than to have watched that hour as it passed

Neon_ShaolinGOLD Member
hehe, 'Member' huhuh
6,120 posts

Posted:
Plus she started it with going on at someone for wearing something punkish...

I think you just hit her where it hurt as she seems that she tried hard to be different only to realise she was conforming (unwittingly or otherwise) to elements only to realise she HAD become as you described 'a cookie-cutter hippy'.

Me personally don't find anything wrong being lumped into a stereotype or architype if you genuinely enjoy the things that make up the stereotype.

i.e. if you don't like meat, like pretty rainbow colours, like the independence that comes with living in a van, then I can think of worse things than being labelled a hippy.

"I used to want to change the world, now I just wanna leave the room with a little dignity..." - Lotus Weinstock

OrangeBoboSILVER Member
veteran
1,389 posts

Posted:
I don't mind the whole steriotype thing... I'm the only one in my school (of 1600 kiddies methinks) who has dreads, and to be honest... no one really calls me a dirty hippie. But I'm not really a steriotypical hippie, really. I'm not a steriotypical anything, really. More the chamelion type. Only my friends bug me about being a hippie, and they aren't really serious tongue

~ Bobo

wie weit, wie weit noch?
fragst mich, wo wir gewesen sind...
du fehlst hier

3,556 posts

Posted:
i suppose it goes into the whole goth not goth emo thread that flamed up
i think the fact was she is attracted to my bf cause he is good looking and makes a party a party and she thought she would do the normal thing of making fun of ones you think are cute
and you don't want to piss me off, when push came to shove, she backed down
i mean i get called goth but that's fine because i go to regular stores, rather than specialty. i like black and dark colors and i listen to rock and am sarcastic-oh no you think i am goth, i think i'll go cry
wait then my eyeliner will run-that'd look cool wink
excuse me a moment

Faith

SmokeyMcPuffGOLD Member
1 post

Posted:
Hmmm...I never thought of the poi-dread connection, but had never really given it much thought I suppose. I had some pretty impressive *natural* dreads some time back, which entailed about 6 mos. or so of looking like a homeless person. And did they they ever STINK when I had to have them cut (it was mildew caused by trapped water from washing it.) Sadly, I had to get rid of them when I joined the army. Oh well, I'll get them back, but I'll prolly cheat this time. Hehe...my hair had a mind of its own, and had a habit of picking up/hanging on to stuff. One time when I came home from work, I scratched my head and pulled a fork out.

I like poetry, long walks on the beach, and poking dead things with a stick....just kidding, I hate poetry

Pogo69SILVER Member
there's no charge for awesomeness... or attractiveness
3,764 posts

Posted:
 Written by: faithinfire

she had the sweater and the dreads and the smell, she has a trailer, lived out of her van before she “settled here” rainbow family grateful dead hemp jewelry and herbs, partial/unofficial wiccan-damn hippy…

yup...she's a hippie... but that's a good thing, can't begin to imagine why it would cause offense...?!?!

I get labelled hippie now, dreads, clothes (when I'm not @ work), laid back, twirling, guitar, djembes etc...

4-5 years ago, when I was shaved bald, vegetarian, still laid back, I got labelled a hare krishna!! eek and yes, I did have a thing for orange back then...

people love labels, as we discussed in the emo thread, but I don't personally see any problem with it... a label only pigeon-holes you in the mind of someone that doesn't know any better... as long as you know who you are, it really doesn't matter what label is being attached...

--pogo (pat) [forever and always]

RaveRepresentSILVER Member
addict
567 posts

Posted:
ahhh, no dreads here, but i got some messy hair going down to ma shoulders. My mother is restraining me from getting dreads... my brother and father encouraging me to do so.. i just dont want to stick out too much and be labled a freak. I swear i will get dreads though... maybe this summer ill rock some dreads..

"I don't know what you are talking about"

"Cardinal!!! Poke her... with the SOFT CUSIONS!!!!"

"Its not working my lord!"

"Have you got all of the stuffing on one end?!"

AdeSILVER Member
Are we there yet?
1,897 posts

Posted:
 Written by: Pogo69

a label only pigeon-holes you in the mind of someone that doesn't know any better... as long as you know who you are, it really doesn't matter what label is being attached...

hear hear clap

(though I sometimes think I need a t-shirt that says: not a f'ing hippy...) eek ubblol ubbrollsmile

TheWibblerGOLD Member
old hand
920 posts

Posted:
Haven't read this whole thread but i have dreads and my hair was staight and not particularly suitable for locks.

however. to do so i'd recommend

growing it as long as possible before dreading it (mine was down to my nipples)

i tied the whole lot up in braids/plats and left them in for a couple weeks.

take them out and your hair is all wavey and kinda trashed

spend time dividing the hair well, it saves a lot of time in the long run

get some hair to turn into dred, mix it all up, pull apart so you get a load of knots by the root. Wants to be tight as sposs at the root.

Continue this all along, frizzing it up, pulling it apart, making nice tight knots etc.

Back coming didn't work for me since it just made knots at the tip end and nothing at the root.

Once you've gone all the way along like that you'll have a core with fuzziness outside it, then you 'palm roll' them with nice bees wax. Not too much tho, and remember to warm it up by rubbing in your hands before you apply it.

Yummmm, dreddys for all smile

m

Spherculism ~:~ The Act of becoming Spherculish.

FlyntSILVER Member
Intrepid Penguin
5,635 posts

Posted:
I have dreads and I'm not a hippy.
*shrug*

I also have multiple peircings, and predominately wear jeans and tshirts...

but yeah. The minute anyone sees me in a skirt, I get called a hippy....

It'd be real nice if people just accepted others instead of limiting their understanding by catagorising and labelling them... Just a thought...

Currently on the right side up of the world.

Rouge DragonBRONZE Member
Insert Champagne Here
13,215 posts

Posted:
i DONT have dreads and the minute anyone sees me in half my clothes i'm a Hippy! And in the other half i'm a french bohemian gypsy! ubblol

i would have changed ***** to phallus, and claire to petey Petey

Rougie: but that's what I'm doing here
Arnwyn: what letting me adjust myself in your room?..don't you dare quote that on HoP...

OrangeBoboSILVER Member
veteran
1,389 posts

Posted:
I'm just going to quickly resurrect this thread with just a few vanity pictures (out of pure boredom) It's scary when I compare them to how they are now, to how they were before (there's old pics in my gallery here on HoP)

Non-Https Image Link

Non-Https Image Link

Non-Https Image Link

They'll be two years old in two months!! I can't believe it! ubblove

wie weit, wie weit noch?
du fehlst hier

AnonymousPLATINUM Member

Posted:
Hey Linz,
they've come along nicely! smile

OrangeBoboSILVER Member
veteran
1,389 posts

Posted:
mmrrrr my lovely knobbly mess of knots *pets hair*

I was on another community earlier, and the general response was that they're rather fat. I never expected it, I never have them down really, and I can't compare them to any others... Aah, well. I like their colour a lot right now...

wie weit, wie weit noch?
du fehlst hier

SixthSILVER Member
Devil May Cry
327 posts

Posted:
Dreads are great(dreadless) ubbcrying...nough said since its like the oldest hair style known to man yet its existance proves its undying resistance to social morality....then again as with what most HoPers have said if you want them ....then get them if you don't like em then then you can always get rid of them biggrin

the other day I say this african dude in a suit..with blonde dreads....what a dudeubblol

I give hope to others but I keep none for myself.

icklepurklegirlmember
116 posts

Posted:
I am a total sucker for people who have dreads AND spin (although as people will notice i tend to like boys with big sticks and girls with poi...dunno why the bias!)
I'd like dreads in my mohawk but its waaaaay too tiny at the moment...
i think the only correlation might be that dreads are a relaxed, easy hairstyle, and spinning is a relaxed, chilled out activity....plus theres all the camping that spinning festivals involve - dreads gotta make the lack of real showers easier to handle!

or maybe you could use dreads as poi, and thats the ultimate aim ;-)

most of the spinners i know are actually lacking in dreads...sadly....

-spinnin' to the rhythm of the new world order-

RaveRepresentSILVER Member
addict
567 posts

Posted:
Alright, I do enjoy dreads very much so... Majority of the ones i hate, are the ones that are kept dirty... Agh! Otherwise, dreads are amazing, dont get in your eyes as much as having long strands of hair stabbing and peircing your eyeballs...

"I don't know what you are talking about"

"Cardinal!!! Poke her... with the SOFT CUSIONS!!!!"

"Its not working my lord!"

"Have you got all of the stuffing on one end?!"

Dragon7GOLD Member
addict
625 posts

Posted:
Back combing and wax are not the best way IMO.

Time fly's ay Bobo smile nice

I agree with TheWibbler about knotting. There is no real easy way to explain knotting, except it is very hard and takes along time. (u just have to rip them together one direction and then another like platting but tighter)

If i sat here and knotted all my hair untill it was finished, it would still need a little knotting work every day for atleast 6months. And if you dont knot the roots 1st time you are doomed, cause its near impossible to back knot.

This is all just my opinion, but i prefer to sit for 3-4 hrs with 3 friends ripping my hair, over back combing and wax, because the end result is much cleaner.

If you want real good ones make friends with someone who has ones you like, and get them to help you. Because thats what the meaning of dreads is to me. Remembering the good friends who put them in smile

Hanzveteran
1,328 posts

Posted:
If I ever take the step to dreads I will be wanting HoPers to do mine... but I'm not ready to take that step yet (only because mum would kill me)

OrangeBoboSILVER Member
veteran
1,389 posts

Posted:
I know Flynt has made dreddies for people... At least I think so... I could never make them on someone, I'm too much of a perfectionist. I spent the better part of an hour straightening a friends hair, when her hair is already mostly straight. ubblol

And heeey Dragon! hug long time no talk buddy!

wie weit, wie weit noch?
du fehlst hier

GothFrogetteBRONZE Member
grumpy poorly froggy
3,999 posts

Posted:
i always wanted dreads(for about13-14 years) and started them off last year (they were born at falmouth4 smile) they are currently red and black eek ubblol biggrin and are down to the middle of my back and i ubblove them
all i did was seperate them into little bands, a wee bit of back combing and then pretty much left them to it. just made sure that they kept seperate. i don't have the time or patience to do it any other way. i would never wax them... unless its normal hair styling stuff that washes out. the amount of people i know that think they are smelly and think that you don't wash your hair is amaizing. i couldn't go more than a couple of days without washing my hair.
the reason why i have always wanted dreads is rather daft but its my reason which has nothing to do with anything other than personal choice.

Life's too short to worry about where you put your marshmallows

alien_oddityCarpal \'Tunnel
7,193 posts

Posted:
bounce i want dreadys sooooooooo much but i don't know anyone that can do them or has the time frown

PyroMonkeyGOLD Member
b...bal...lence?....
370 posts

Posted:
I have dreads
WEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEE
love em to bits (sometimes litteraly). had em for almost a year now.
got them out of own personal choice as well, not to fit in or become a stereo type. i think it just corresponds with the kind of lifestyle ppl have. but i would have to say that getting dreads changes you. you become more friendly, more open, and more crazy (in a good way).
but i have to say i really get irritated when ppl assume that i dont shower/wash or anything. they just assume that dreadlocks are dirty. theyre only as dirty as you let them be. jus tlike any other hair style.

to quote a great man....
"dont call me hippie cause the way that i look"
-John Butler

*jiggy jigg*

FlyntSILVER Member
Intrepid Penguin
5,635 posts

Posted:
 Written by: OrangeBobo

I know Flynt has made dreddies for people... At least I think so...

Yup. I do! smile

Currently on the right side up of the world.

DentrassiGOLD Member
ZORT!
3,045 posts

Posted:
 Written by: PyroMonkey

but i have to say i really get irritated when ppl assume that i dont shower/wash or anything.

well i was going to say you smelt a bit but didnt want to offend you wink

"Here kitty kitty...." - Schroedinger.

PyroMonkeyGOLD Member
b...bal...lence?....
370 posts

Posted:
 Written by: Dentrassi

Written by: PyroMonkey

but i have to say i really get irritated when ppl assume that i dont shower/wash or anything.

well i was going to say you smelt a bit but didnt want to offend you wink

i didnt say that they were wrong, just that i didnt like it when they "assume" before finding out they're right....
wink

StoneGOLD Member
Stream Entrant
2,829 posts

Posted:
"The more i get around fellow poiers, the stronger the impression that dreadlocks is a necessary hairstyle for poiers gets… "

Only if u run out of wick wink

If we as members of the human race practice meditation, we can transcend our fear, despair, and forgetfulness. Meditation is not an escape. It is the courage to look at reality with mindfulness and concentration. Thich Nhat Hanh

Page: