Forums > Technical Discussion > How can i make a staff i can take apart?

Login/Join to Participate
Page:
ChannelZ28newbie
10 posts

Posted:
so heres the thing, im pretty much always traveling and living out of a backpack, and ive gotten to the addiction point where i will not be able to live without my staff and i need one that i can take apart and fit in my backpack. i know some proffesional staves they sell online come in 2 or 3 pieces somewhere around 20 inches long. i dont know what they are made out of, aluminum or something i guess. so does anyone have any suggestions of what i could use? im looking for aluminum pipes that are threaded on the ends but i cant seem to find any anywhere. someone suggested to me that i should go to a metal shop and see if they would make some custom. that might work but it might cost more than im really interested in paying, defeat the whole purpose of making my own ya know? anyway, let me know if anyone has done it, or has suggestions.

ado-pGOLD Member
Pirate Ninja
3,882 posts

Posted:
Heya

First off, I'd day forget about the threading if you dont want to fork out for getting it done in a metal shop or even more sdpendier, buying the die yourself to do it. It can be a dodgy way to go anyway> On drop can be enough to damage it...

Though this guy
[Old link]
Seems to have cracked it... He has pics somewhere.. send him a pm...

Crutches are always a good option. Check out the local hospital. Ask them where they recycle their old crutches and chase em down... Dont go stealing them off old folks or anything wink

Other than that. The crutch system is a good one and can be done diy. The problem is finding ali tubes with the right tolerances... but if you can... then you can buy the snap in spring button things from camping stores.

Tent poles might work too.

After that. I'd say, suck it up and carry a big stick (or four) like the rest of us... wink

Good luck

hug

Love is the law.

jo_rhymesSILVER Member
Momma Bear
4,525 posts

Posted:
a telescopic staff would be cool!

Hoppers are angels who lift us to our feet when our wings have trouble remembering how to fly.

LurchBRONZE Member
old hand
929 posts

Posted:
https://www.selfdefenseproducts.com/police/batons/asp/asp_batons.htm

Gotta be a way to connect two of those together.......

#homeofpoi -- irc.newnet.net Come talk to us we're bored frown

Warning: Please Do Not Jump On The Seals

ado-pGOLD Member
Pirate Ninja
3,882 posts

Posted:
ubblol

And just in case your in the mood, you can aways open up a can of whoop ass on the audience...

Love is the law.

Hanzveteran
1,328 posts

Posted:
One of our rovers in shep (i think it's him) has a staff which can be broken up into 3 pieces, and clips together. I dont know where he got it from, or what it is made from. Next time he is on msn (which is rarely) I will try to remember to ask him about his staff

LurchBRONZE Member
old hand
929 posts

Posted:
Oddly enough those asp's are looking more entertaining if I had the money to blow... the 'ball' on the end is usually threaded on, which means it would be fairly simple to make nice screw on fire heads....

ChannelZ28newbie
10 posts

Posted:
actually i used a tentpole for the staff i have now, its not one of the ones you can take apart though. i have been thinking of using tentpoles that come apart but i think i would need screws or something to hold the poles together so im not sure if its going to work. good idea on the the crutches though, i may have to look into that.

Fine_Rabid_DogInternet Hate Machine
10,530 posts

Posted:
Written by: Lurch

Those things are deesigned to cause enough damage to floor/temporarily paralyze a person with the least amount of effort. So messing up a throw or screwing up some contact could be very bad indeed.

The existance of flamethrowers says that someone, somewhere, at sometime said "I need to set that thing on fire, but it's too far away."

LurchBRONZE Member
old hand
929 posts

Posted:
Actually they're specifically designed not to cause serious tissue damage. While they *can* there is a definate emphasis on the safety side of it and they're actually considered far safer than the oldschool wooden billyclubs/nightsticks. It's more of a pain tool than a break bones and cripple tool. I don't see how getting smacked by messing up with one of those would be any different than getting smacked with a normal staff... two 26" asps would give you a 52" span and be under 2.5 pounds, be completely collapseable and switching heads would be as simple as screwing on whatever you want....

But then i'm not staff spinner, it just seems like an interesting idea
EDITED_BY: Lurch (1139705985)

DaizBRONZE Member
Radioactive Member
106 posts

Posted:
A blind person's stick to feel around with would actually work, but would fall apart too easily when in use.

I'm gonna cut you up so bad, you gonna wish I ain't cut you up so bad.

FIREBOY4209SILVER Member
The lone Fire Spinner
236 posts

Posted:
I have made two staffs that can collapse to a smaller size. One is a 3 part staff which is basically 3 allu tubes with wooden dowel that I sanded down to fit snug inside for added strength and connected the parts together with ordinary screw and nut bolts. To protect me from the bolts I covered them with pads made from pipe insulation and electrical tape. Another option would be to put a piece of tubing over the hole middle piece with holes cut in it where the nut and bolts go so they are sunk into the surface. (I will be trying that with my next staff)

The other staff is an telescopic staff that I made out of two paint roller telescopic extention arms, with a centre piece and two parts that slide out of each end.Which is good because I can adjust it to any length from 52" to 36". Also the HOP shop does a good 3 part staff.

I have put a pic on the HOP gallery of the 3 staffs the top one is the 3 part staff the middle is the telescopic staff and the bottom one is the HOP 3 piece staff.If you want to take a look and see if it gives you any ideas.

The pics at

https://www.homeofpoi.com/gallery/showpho...=500&page=1

Hope this helps.Happy spinning smile
EDITED_BY: FIREBOY4209 (1139737650)

To play it safe is not to play

ChannelZ28newbie
10 posts

Posted:
Written by: Fine_Rabid_Dog

Written by: Lurch

Those things are deesigned to cause enough damage to floor/temporarily paralyze a person with the least amount of effort. So messing up a throw or screwing up some contact could be very bad indeed.

of course with those prices it would be cheaper to just buy a professionally made staff that breaks down...

fireboy, i really like that middle one you made out of paint extensions, is 36" the smallest it gets though?? i am going to the hardware store tomorrow to check that out. also how well does it spin, as in weight and balance, and has it ever slipped where it can extend when you are spinning?

also has anyone ever tried pvc pipe? thats my next idea, i think im gonna try that out tomorrow also. should be a creative day..

FIREBOY4209SILVER Member
The lone Fire Spinner
236 posts

Posted:
36" is the smallest it will go. If you want a telescopic staff that goes smaller you have to sacrifice some of the maximum length of the staff. (i.e. if you want it to shrink to say 30" the staffs maximum lenghth would only be 46" etc....) It all depends on what lenght staff you want.
As for weight it is a little bit heavier than a normal staff and the balance is fine as long as you have both ends out at the same length. Oh and no it has never slipped when I've used it. Just make sure you remember to tighten the grips at each end. I made it out of two telescopic paint roller extention poles.If you get reasonable ones you will find on the end of the interior tube there is usually a plastic piece glued to the end wich stops the interior tubes from being pulled out. So even if they did slip for some reason they would not be able to fly of the staff.The only thing I was worried about was the smaller interior tubes getting bent if I dropped it, so I sanded down some wood dowel to fit snugly in the two interior tubes (one trick was to heat them up a little so they expanded making it easy to slide the dowel in) This seems to have worked as I've dropped it a few times and it's ok.
What I will do is post a few more pics of it dismantled so you can see what I mean.

FIREBOY4209SILVER Member
The lone Fire Spinner
236 posts

Posted:
I have posted 4 pics of the staff that might help you if you decide to make a telescopic staff.

either look in my gallery or use these links:

Hope this helps. If you have any Qs just ask biggrin
EDITED_BY: FIREBOY4209 (1139949195)

TinklePantsGOLD Member
Clique Infiltrator, Cunning Linguist and Master Debator
4,219 posts

Posted:
You get a staff - snap it in half across your knee - then tape it back together...

Always use "so's your face" and "only on Tuesdays" in as many conversations possible

ImbalanceGOLD Member
not different, just not the same
263 posts

Posted:
no way....just snap in half and tape...wow. I got a metal staff here...wonder if i can snap that one.

*ten minutes later*

I'll just be going to the hospital now, seems i have a broken knee. But on the plus side my staff is bent...sooo half way there.

I once learned every move that there was,
Every style, Every technique.
Then I woke up, and forgot it all,
So now I struggle to dream.

Suibomaddict
577 posts

Posted:
Written by:

just snap in half and tape

She meant the staff, not the knee. ubbrollsmile

Definition of poi- A Hawaiian food made from the tuber of the taro that is cooked, pounded to a paste, and fermented.

Ahnold discussing poi - "It is naht a toober!"

LurchBRONZE Member
old hand
929 posts

Posted:
Written by: Imbalance

I'll just be going to the hospital now, seems i have a broken knee. But on the plus side my staff is bent...sooo half way there.

Thats why you got two knees, one more go should solve the problem biggrin

ChannelZ28newbie
10 posts

Posted:
yeah thanks, those pics look sweet. im gonna try it.

Bender_the_OffenderGOLD Member
still can't believe it's not butter
6,978 posts

Posted:
do they wobble? wobbling sucks, but not as much as dire lack of nutricious yeast spreads.

Laugh Often, Smile Much, Post lolcats Always

FIREBOY4209SILVER Member
The lone Fire Spinner
236 posts

Posted:
Happy to help biggrin
Good luck
Let us know how you get on.

ImbalanceGOLD Member
not different, just not the same
263 posts

Posted:
Written by: Suibom

Written by:

just snap in half and tape

She meant the staff, not the knee. ubbrollsmile

ah, s'all in the details isn't it?

I once learned every move that there was,
Every style, Every technique.
Then I woke up, and forgot it all,
So now I struggle to dream.

Brian:-)BRONZE Member
stranger
37 posts

Posted:
My Mum has a folding walking stick. It is a series of tubes that fit inside each other held together by elastic. I have seen these in shops for about £2. I am sure you could remove the handle and fit 2 together. I saw some in gold the other day. sunny I found this in a search to give you an idea of what they look like. https://www.50plushealth.co.uk/index.cfm?articleid=912

Promethean_AdvocateBRONZE Member
35 posts

Posted:
I was thinking about the same thing a few weeks ago, and the best alternative I came up with was using the joiners you find in pool cues. You can get them different diameters etc, and its just a matter of screwing the two (or however many) pieces together. The only problem is I dont know how they would go with an aluminium staff - maybe need dowel inserts where the joins are?

JD

Incendiary meditation

“Think not of the staff as being rigid, but of your mind as being that which is inflexible.”

ChannelZ28newbie
10 posts

Posted:
yeah i was considering both those things also...the only problem with the walking stick is that they are held together with elastic only, as in the pieces will probably slide out when spinning at a fast pace. im gonna have to find one in a store and actually try it. the only ones ive seen were online.

where can you get those pool cue connectors? i thought about that too but i dont know where you can get them. im sure i could rig them up.

Ignarnewbie
10 posts

Posted:
Try the black leopard telescopic staff- reasonably cheap, and clicks out well. Either that, or just some kind of dowel joins at the handle? I dunno, could be tough.

TinklePantsGOLD Member
4,219 posts

Posted:
I'm looking to do this, I've had the idea of getting the screw joints used in snooker/pool cues. here are a page for the connectors - here is a US site for supplies. took me days of googling to find it!

Always use "so's your face" and "only on Tuesdays" in as many conversations possible

nordemember
39 posts

Posted:
chimney cleaning rods ?..... these come in various types, sizes, fittings etc etc....

heres just a quick example with 2mins worth of googling

linky or here or this one

or if anyone is going down the line of tubes being held together with bungy (like tent poles) a yachting shop or the likes is great for this stuff in all various weights by the meter

hope this helps

Love me when i least deserve it... cause that is when i need it the most

ChannelZ28newbie
10 posts

Posted:
yeahhhhhhh, finally a site for those connectors. good [censored], i googled forever and couldnt find anything. i didnt even know what they were called so that made it harder. anyway i decided to test out some new ideas and i made one with some bolts and some wood dowels. i still havent decided what i think of it and i still dont know if its going to work, as in hold up and not break. anyway ill put up a seperate post with some pictures in a couple days and you guys can let me know what you think of it.

TinklePantsGOLD Member
4,219 posts

Posted:

i looked at the chimney rods way before i came across the screw joints, but i wanted wood not polyshmolycarbonate or whatever they called.

the connectors are either called "screw joints" or "radial joints/screws" but alot of diy stores dont stock them, tried snooker/pool stores but they only had the joint protectors. I also came across an old dude who made wading sticks and hiking sticks, which was bizarre ubblol

Page: