Forums > Technical Discussion > How can i make a staff i can take apart?

Login/Join to Participate
Page:
ChannelZ28newbie
10 posts

Posted:
so heres the thing, im pretty much always traveling and living out of a backpack, and ive gotten to the addiction point where i will not be able to live without my staff and i need one that i can take apart and fit in my backpack. i know some proffesional staves they sell online come in 2 or 3 pieces somewhere around 20 inches long. i dont know what they are made out of, aluminum or something i guess. so does anyone have any suggestions of what i could use? im looking for aluminum pipes that are threaded on the ends but i cant seem to find any anywhere. someone suggested to me that i should go to a metal shop and see if they would make some custom. that might work but it might cost more than im really interested in paying, defeat the whole purpose of making my own ya know? anyway, let me know if anyone has done it, or has suggestions.

Flaeyr_Munklefistnewbie
24 posts

Posted:
I've actually tried to use copper joints (plumbing section at any hardware store) and found them to be _amazingly_ heavy. Of course, throw on some pipe insulation with tape around it and hitting yourself becomes slightly less painful.

My recommendation for a cheap break down staff would be to get some PVC connectors, screw them into a wood dowel that fits them (maybe even put the wood into an aluminum sheet if you really want to), and go to town. A three piece staff would avoid awkward hand placement on the PVC connectors, and when/if it breaks from some abuse, it is easy to replace.

For something more expensive but less likely to break, copper fittings work, though they are heavier.

There was once a man who dreamt he was a butterly, and when he awoke, he wished he would wake again to find his wings.

ChannelZ28newbie
10 posts

Posted:
hey has anyone ever checked out this website? their staff looks so simple, though im not sure how its made. https://www.bearclawmfg.com/

FIREBOY4209SILVER Member
The lone Fire Spinner
236 posts

Posted:
Yes I,ve heard of bearclaw before some of their stuff is quite good. The staffs you have there are spring button staffs (a bit like what you get on telescopic crutches that the hospitals use)
Basicly it's three pieces of Allu tubing one with two spring buttons on it at each end which slides inside the two other pieces which each have a hole for the spring button to fit into.This stops them being pulled apart unless the buttons are pushed in. The only thing is if you make one like this you have to make sure the Allu tubes are a snug fit otherwise you will find they will wobble slightly as the spring button only stopes the tubes from sliding apart it does not hold them together.

To play it safe is not to play

ChannelZ28newbie
10 posts

Posted:
so where can i get some of this "allu" tubing? i searched long and couldnt find anything online. also anyone tried spear fishing poles? https://cgi.ebay.com/6-Ft-Pole-Spear-Brus...1QQcmdZViewItem

Page: