Zauberdachsenthusiast
220 posts

Posted:
Ok I've just picked my poi up and suddenly can do anti-spin flowers.

I was sort of practising them over the weekend at the SJC but in a really half-hearted way and when I pick up my poi this evening and give it a go, I can do it.

Isn't muscle memory wierd?

This also happened when I was learning isolations and buzz-saw fountains.

The insults of your enemy are a tribute to your bravery wink

animatEdBRONZE Member
1 + 1 = 3
3,540 posts

Posted:
Happened to me today with antispin Turns too...

Whether or not they continue to remember what to do is another matter though...

Empty your mind. Be formless, Shapeless, like Water.
Put Water into a cup, it becomes the cup, put water into a bottle, it becomes the bottle, put water into a teapot, it becomes the teapot.
Water can flow, or it can Crash.
Be Water My Friend.

_khan_SILVER Member
old hand
768 posts

Posted:
I've had the same experience with btb stuff. Something just suddenly clicked.

I've recently had the same sort of thing happen with contact juggling: I've been struggling with the chest roll and stalling the ball at my elbow. There was no improvement during my practices and then two days ago I picked up my ball, not even to have a serious practice, and suddenly I could just do it. Then I did it again and again and again, just to make sure it wasn't a fluke and no it wasn't, I can really do it now.

And LTC: I think if you keep doing it, they'll remember. Use it or lose it, as the saying goes.

taken out of context i must seem so strange
~ ani di franco

[Nx?]BRONZE Member
Carpal \'Tunnel
3,749 posts

Posted:
*claps*

nice one ben... now turn em.... :P

they kinda clicked for me too, but only after quite a lot of work and then a break, and it didnt help me with the other direction.

T wave

This is a post by tom, all spelling is deleberate
-><- Kallisti

pineapple peteSILVER Member
water based
5,125 posts

Posted:
muscle memory is really wierd.

ive been doing cartwheels for years now, and about 4 months ago, started doing them with one hand, after half an hours practice, i got the hang of it. a while later, i couldnt do them, and it took me about 15min to get them smoothly again. still, i cant just bust out a one hand cartwheel, i need to practice for maybe 10min before i can get them well.

cheers, pete hug

"you know there are no trophys for doing silly things in real life yeah pete?" said ant "you wont get a 'listened to ride of the valkyries all the way to vietnam' trophy"

*proud owner of the very cute fire_spinning_angel, birgit and neon shaolin*

pricklyleafSILVER Member
with added berries
1,365 posts

Posted:
Yey - you got antispin! biggrin

At the SJC I suddenly could turn flowers. I tried to learn that before but I couldn't get my brain to work out where the poi should be at each bit. I gave up trying for a while, then all of a sudden I could do it without even trying biggrin

It's so nice when that happens, I like to let moves learn themselves now rather than trying to force it.

Live like there is no tomorrow,
dance like nobody is watching
and hula hoop like wiggling will save the world.

“What lies behind us and what lies before us are tiny matters compared to what lies within us.”

Ralph Waldo Emerson

morwenna_teanewbie
30 posts

Posted:
Forgive my ignorance but what is anti-spin? biggrin

oliSILVER Member
not with cactus
2,052 posts

Posted:
i think there is a point where the moves get to difficult to learn.... you try them occasionally and the general trend is that each time you try the move you get a bit closer to sctually doing it or better at doing it, but not very much. but one day you pick up your poi and stand up and try it and it will work and youll be like biggrin

and M. tea - antipsin, is spinning your poi one way and spinning the hand holding the poi around the other way. better description you will find if you search though smile

Me train running low on soul coal
They push+pull tactics are driving me loco
They shouldn't do that no no no

blu_valleySILVER Member
fluffy mess
197 posts

Posted:
Ah, when you get to nail something for the first time and then when you next pick up the poi and can do the move straight off... this is one of those moments when you realize that life is good.

biggrin

"I want to know if you can see beauty even when it's not pretty, every day,and if you can source your own life from its presence.." - Oriah Mountain Dreamer

mcpPLATINUM Member
Flying Water Muppet
5,276 posts

Posted:
Things I love about the brain:

The brain needs sleep to cement new learning. So a full nights sleep is my best learning tool. (Thou conventions are not sooo good for this... wink )

You'll continue learning something for up to half an hour after you stop practising it. So give it a rest and then come back to it.

Can I just say: mental rehearsal?

Try and find out a little more about the movement each time you do it.

And then do it while thinking about something else, like posture, facial expression, or wheather that hot person on the other side of the convention hall thinks your fit cos your doing a super hard trick. (answer = no.)

Mirror neurons... ahhhhhhhhh.

Make your practise a form of meditation!

Yay!

"the now legendary" - Kaskade
"the still legendary" - Kaskade

I spunked in my friend's aquarium and the fish ate it. I love all fish. Especially the pink ones. They are my bitches. - Anon.

shen shuiSILVER Member
no excuses. no apologies.
1,799 posts

Posted:
Written by: mcp

The brain needs sleep to cement new learning.

Got troubles sleeping? check out 5-HTP...

5 hydroxytryptophan - derived from the seeds of the Griffionia simplicifiolia, a West African medicinal herb.

5-Hydroxytryptophan (5-HTP) is an amino acid that is the intermediate step between tryptophan and the important brain chemical serotonin. Seratonin is what triggers our happy, relaxed state of mind. There is a massive amount of evidence that suggests that low serotonin levels are a common consequence of modern living. The lifestyle and dietary practices of many people living in this stress-filled era results in lowered levels of serotonin within the brain. As a result, many people are overweight, crave sugar and other carbohydrates, experience bouts of depression, get frequent headaches, and have vague muscle aches and pain. All of these pathologies are correctable by raising brain serotonin levels. Some of the things that 5-HTP can help ameliorate are..

Depression
Obesity
Carbohydrate craving
Bulimia
Insomnia
Narcolepsy
Sleep apnea
Migraine headaches
Tension headaches
Chronic daily headaches
Premenstrual syndrome
Fibromyalgia

Pretty cool, huh?

5-HTP also assists in Dream recall and such.. wink

You can also use magnesium to help with stress and anxiety, and to help you sleep. Check out your local Health Store if you want to know more (or PM me..)..

smile

those that know, dont say. those that say, dont know.

[Nx?]BRONZE Member
Carpal \'Tunnel
3,749 posts

Posted:
whos the hot person meg?

wink

T wave

This is a post by tom, all spelling is deleberate
-><- Kallisti

mcpPLATINUM Member
Flying Water Muppet
5,276 posts

Posted:
thanks for that shenshui, I have no trouble sleeping normally, it's just at conventions when there is an impromptu wind band that starts up at 1am on the balcony above where you are sleeping... that didn't really help my normal progression into the land of nod. And the general hard floors, late nights and early mornings of conventions don't lend themselves to lots of sleep.

thou I'm still gonna try out this herb shenanigan.

and tom: it was a theoretical.

"the now legendary" - Kaskade
"the still legendary" - Kaskade

I spunked in my friend's aquarium and the fish ate it. I love all fish. Especially the pink ones. They are my bitches. - Anon.

newgabeSILVER Member
what goes around comes around. unless you're into stalls.
4,030 posts

Posted:
Years ago I used to do lots of percussion (middle eastern style, lots of intricate finger work, not djembe thwacking). Haven't played for years. But have done poi. Got invited to play with some great musos recently... and lo and behold, I not only remember all the rhythms, but my finger/wrist moves are better/faster/more accurate in repetition now than they were... so this sort of training is transferable too... smile

.....Can't juggle balls but I sure as hell can juggle details....

Zauberdachsenthusiast
220 posts

Posted:
Written by: mcp

thanks for that shenshui, I have no trouble sleeping normally, it's just at conventions when there is an impromptu wind band that starts up at 1am on the balcony above where you are sleeping... that didn't really help my normal progression into the land of nod.

you know what I find helps? Standing in the cold for a few hours, breathing in lots of parafin fumes and fire work smoke, then drinknig rum! instant night night!

The insults of your enemy are a tribute to your bravery wink