Page:
IgirisujinSILVER Member
Carpal \'Tunnel
2,666 posts

Posted:
Ive had this picture in my favourites and a few people have asked how is this done, but its not had an answer yet. So I photo-bucketed it and now im asking...

How is this done?

Non-Https Image Link

Chief adviser to the Pharaoh, in one very snazzy mutli-coloured coat

'Time goes by so slowly for those who wait...' - Whatever Happend To Baby Madonna?

Suibomaddict
577 posts

Posted:
You sure that's poi? Looks kinda like a fire hoop to me.

Definition of poi- A Hawaiian food made from the tuber of the taro that is cooked, pounded to a paste, and fermented.

Ahnold discussing poi - "It is naht a toober!"

simian110% MONKEY EVERY TIME ALL THE TIME JUST CANT STOP THE MONKEY
3,149 posts

Posted:
looks like hoop

you could get trails like that turning with poi doing large horizontal circles, and wrapping\unwrapping the waist.

"Switching between different kinds of chuu chuu sometimes gives this "urgh wtf?" effect because it's giving people the phi phenomenon."

linden rathenGOLD Member
Carpal \'Tunnel
6,942 posts

Posted:
i would guess (having not tried this) start with your arms wrapped around you (self hug stylee but with one behind your back) start turning un wrapping then extending arms

- i have no idea if this would work and atm i cant test it as i dont have enough space in my room but i assume it would

back

Suibomaddict
577 posts

Posted:
The giveaway is the brightness of the inner circle, and the faded outer circles. It's hard to get that type of pattern with poi.

Definition of poi- A Hawaiian food made from the tuber of the taro that is cooked, pounded to a paste, and fermented.

RicheeBRONZE Member
HOP librarian
1,841 posts

Posted:
Looks like horizontal spiral wrap(double full wrap) with both Poi parallel close to each other.(look at the fire starting form left to counterclocwise spiral) and possibly one-handed.

:R

POI THEO(R)IST

LurchBRONZE Member
old hand
929 posts

Posted:
One more vote for hoop

#homeofpoi -- irc.newnet.net Come talk to us we're bored frown

Warning: Please Do Not Jump On The Seals

fNiGOLD Member
master of disaster
3,354 posts

Posted:
hoopy hoopy hoop

kyrian: I've felt your finger connect with me many times
lou kitten: sneaky little meatball..
ezz: please corrupt me more

pricklyleafSILVER Member
with added berries
1,365 posts

Posted:
hoop

Was going to say poi until I realised the person is kneeling down, at that unless he can twist his arms around his body several times, it would be very difficult get that kind of effect with poi. And the fact there are parrallel spirals, not just a single one, plus the overall shape of the spiral suggest its unlikley to be rope dart.

Whos photo is it, I've seen it before, but I can't find it and would also like ot make it a faveorite.

Have you tried Pm ing the owner?

Live like there is no tomorrow,
dance like nobody is watching
and hula hoop like wiggling will save the world.

“What lies behind us and what lies before us are tiny matters compared to what lies within us.”

Ralph Waldo Emerson

_khan_SILVER Member
old hand
768 posts

Posted:
hoop. the person's arms appear to be going over his/her head, but the fire is spinning at chest level. hoop for sure.

taken out of context i must seem so strange
~ ani di franco

AsenaGOLD Member
What a Bummer
3,224 posts

Posted:
woop woop hoop hoop!!

LurchBRONZE Member
old hand
929 posts

Posted:
Or a very crazy person with a really long ropedart......... ubbloco

marcoenthusiast
328 posts

Posted:

I'm not saying its a rope dart, but I have some pics around here of me doing something very similar / same with rope dart

mark

IgirisujinSILVER Member
Carpal \'Tunnel
2,666 posts

Posted:
Written by: pricklyleaf

Whos photo is it, I've seen it before, but I can't find it and would also like ot make it a faveorite

Its in Onyx gallery

Chief adviser to the Pharaoh, in one very snazzy mutli-coloured coat

'Time goes by so slowly for those who wait...' - Whatever Happend To Baby Madonna?

StoutBRONZE Member
Pooh-Bah
1,872 posts

Posted:
My guess is poi using the horizontal spiral wrap because the flames are brighter when the poi would be spinning a smaller circle and accelerating/decelerating closer to the body

RicheeBRONZE Member
HOP librarian
1,841 posts

Posted:
How can hoop makes spiral?

:R

POI THEO(R)IST

Suibomaddict
577 posts

Posted:
Written by:

How can hoop makes spiral?

That's all hoop does when twirling around a center point... it actually probably makes more of a flower, but slow shutter photo of fire hoop makes the pattern in this picture.

Mint SauceBRONZE Member
veteran
1,453 posts

Posted:
me thinks hoop

before i met those lot i thought they'd be a bunch of dreadlocked hippies that smoked, set things on fire ,and drank a lot of tea but then when i met them....oh wait (PyroWill)

animatEdBRONZE Member
1 + 1 = 3
3,540 posts

Posted:
A hoop will have 4/5/6/7/8 etc wicks protuding from it, not one wick all the way around... (see the irish invasion video by strugz)

When spun around you, they will give that effect. smile

Hoop it is, methinks...

Empty your mind. Be formless, Shapeless, like Water.
Put Water into a cup, it becomes the cup, put water into a bottle, it becomes the bottle, put water into a teapot, it becomes the teapot.
Water can flow, or it can Crash.
Be Water My Friend.

Mags The JediGOLD Member
Fool
2,020 posts

Posted:
It's not a hoop.

Ask me how I know...

OK, I'll tell ya:

When a hoop spins, the point of rotation is constantly changing as it revolves around the body. If the person in the picture was using a hoop, the image would look more like a flowery-spirograph style image, rather than the spiral pattern that you see.

My vote is for poi waistwraps, although I stand ready to be corrected.

Lots of love

devil

"I believe the cost of life is Death and we will all pay that in full. Everything else should be a gift. We paid the cover charge of life, we were born."

Bill Hicks, February 1988

Mags The JediGOLD Member
Fool
2,020 posts

Posted:
Tho it might be a rope dart...

ubblol

devil

"I believe the cost of life is Death and we will all pay that in full. Everything else should be a gift. We paid the cover charge of life, we were born."

Bill Hicks, February 1988

newgabeSILVER Member
what goes around comes around. unless you're into stalls.
4,030 posts

Posted:
A great image of MoonPixie hooping.. showing that a hoop does photograph as concentric circles, not the 'spirograph' as suggested above...

smile

.....Can't juggle balls but I sure as hell can juggle details....

ducky2108A little bit of a board whore
147 posts

Posted:
I have also seen hoops where there is just a ring (or more like an octagon) of fire rope attatched to spokes coming off the central hoop, not just the eight prongs as suggested above.

Ancient wiseman say "It is very strange person, who, when left alone in room with teacosy, does not try it on"

Tom_ShillSILVER Member
enthusiast
213 posts

Posted:
It seems fairly unanimous that that's a hoop, but this is definately poi. Don't know how this photo-bucket business works

So how's that done? I've tried the obvious holding the poi more or less still and spinning my body round, raising my arms as I go, but I get dizzy and it looks rubbish. Besides which, in the picture Nick's face is slightly blurred, but too clear for him to be moving his body that much, it must have been in the same position for most of the exposure time. Any ideas?

Will those capable of telekinesis please raise my hand?

DutSILVER Member
lurker
380 posts

Posted:
Written by: Tom_Shill

It seems fairly unanimous that that's a hoop, but this is definately poi. Don't know how this photo-bucket business works

So how's that done? I've tried the obvious holding the poi more or less still and spinning my body round, raising my arms as I go, but I get dizzy and it looks rubbish. Besides which, in the picture Nick's face is slightly blurred, but too clear for him to be moving his body that much, it must have been in the same position for most of the exposure time. Any ideas?

if the flash is at the end of the exposure, it has that effect. otherwise, practice your spinning. ice skaters rotate a lot more a lot faster, and there are tricks to keep you from getting dizzy. if i can imagine anyone doing piroette-y ballet spins on a daily basis, it's nick w. :P that guy is AMAZING.

-- dut

hamamelisBRONZE Member
nut.
756 posts

Posted:
It doesn't look like there's flash used in this, or the lighting of the floor in the foreground would be different colour and a different pattern.
I think the shadow's wrong on the guy as well.. That's just holding very still..

By the way, what *is* hoop exactly? is it just what it sounds like? Same kind of thing I failed to play with as a kid, but on fire?

THE MEEK WILL INHERIT THE EARTH!

If that's okay with you?

MikeIconGOLD Member
Pooh-Bah
2,109 posts

Posted:
Yeah. Pretty much. Check out my Fire Skating video for some awesome shots of Reagan tearin' it up.

Let's turn those old bridges we crossed into ashes.
We'll blaze a new trail,
and torch the rough patches.

-Me

LurchBRONZE Member
old hand
929 posts

Posted:
Are you sure he's using poi in that last picture? It looks like he's just pausing holding them above his head at the end, which would mean they're probably torches of some sort...

Either way it's a well done picture

MeenikSAPPHIRE Member
enthusiast
272 posts

Posted:
Good guesses. It's torches, and a combination of posing still and whirling quickly. I spend a lot of time whirling so I don't get dizzy smile

"They're interdimensional fractal intelligences. That's why they wear funny shoes."

[Nx?]BRONZE Member
Carpal \'Tunnel
3,749 posts

Posted:
its one of the best pics I seen, because it subtly but VERY difficult.

pros to nick, to turn on the spot that acuratly that many times takes loads of training.

If you want to start a 'tips for pirroettes' thread nick, I would be well into it!

T wave

This is a post by tom, all spelling is deleberate
-><- Kallisti

RovoGOLD Member
(the person actually known as Chris Bailey)
544 posts

Posted:
Nick, your pirouettes are one of the best things about the way you spin. Besides your poi spinning your body movements are pretty much spot on all the time too and thats why your so darn interesting to watch. If we took your poi away and you just went through your body movements that would still look awesome.

I finally nailed the splittime longarm butterfly turns, but only for a few turns before I get dizzy. I really need to take the time to learn how to spot.

Peace, Love, Circles

Page:

HOP Newsletter