{anthrax}BRONZE Member
Look I've changed my title!
209 posts

Posted:
Do we need a thread that tells the user how to search effectively to find the results they need? If the majority turns out to be "yes", then I will start to put something together to help everyone out smile

anthrax.... it infects, then spreads..... fast

GeoffonTour04SILVER Member
enthusiast
360 posts

Posted:
Anyone that dumb shouldn't be allowed to post (j/k), but to be fair the main problem is a post gets made with the word knitting in (for example), and someone sees the word knitting and links to an otherwise completely unrelated thread which is also about knitting. What is the [censored] point people? There are going to be more threads about threads than there are about random crap soon. Discussion is still ok, and chat is still full of drivel so I'd say it's just about how it should be. I think there's a case of the post winter blues goin on but that's about it.

Just wait til all this year's noobs join in summer, then ye'll know the meaning of blah.

ducky2108A little bit of a board whore
147 posts

Posted:
What about an e-mail sent to people when they join, explaining how to use the boards, and about searching and things.

Ancient wiseman say "It is very strange person, who, when left alone in room with teacosy, does not try it on"

GeoffonTour04SILVER Member
enthusiast
360 posts

Posted:
That's a gd idea, most places give you a PM telling you where the info is at, and where to go to get started.

AsenaGOLD Member
What a Bummer
3,224 posts

Posted:
Written by: ducky2108

What about an e-mail sent to people when they join, explaining how to use the boards, and about searching and things.

That isss a good idea... It should start "hear this noob..." and finish with "fail to comply will result in your termination" or something warm and welcoming like that... ubblol hm ok, maybe not, but an automated email to new joiners on HoP sounds like a plan, I would have found one helpful smile

fNiGOLD Member
master of disaster
3,354 posts

Posted:
Written by: GeoffonTour04

That's a gd idea, most places give you a PM telling you where the info is at, and where to go to get started.

I don't know about you young'uns, but back in the day ( ubblol ) the first welcome pm from malcolm very nicely explained the rules of the site as well as all the helpful links.

kyrian: I've felt your finger connect with me many times
lou kitten: sneaky little meatball..
ezz: please corrupt me more

DominoSILVER Member
UnNatural Scientist - Currently working on a Breville-legged monkey
757 posts

Posted:
Some kind of advice on using the search effectively would be good. I'm guilty too of putting "I searched but..." and getting replys that start with "This thread will help..."

For example, a few tips of choosing the right key word or narrowing down a search so you don't end up with a "bazillion" of irrelevent threads

Give me a lever long enough and a place to stand and I can beat the world into submission.

doctor_fandangoGOLD Member
co-director of A.C.B.I.S.H.A.
761 posts
Location: in the corner beside the filing cabinets, 2nd floo...

Posted:
maybe a re-education of posting is in order. like if you are going to talk about a specific point, make the subject relevent as opposed to 'check this out' etc

There's no place like 127.0.0.1, There's no place like 127.0.0.1, There's no place like 127.0.0.1,

"in most of our friends we're the hippies. but we have hippie friends of our own.. its like a dog having its own pet" - H. Sinoquet 19-03-2005

AdeSILVER Member
Are we there yet?
1,897 posts

Posted:
ditto

what domino and doctor_fandango said smile

cause it doesn't matter how long you've been around some of us can do with a reminder from time to time...