• All Purchases made this month instantly go into the draw to win a USD $ 200.00 credit to your HoP account.

{anthrax}
{anthrax}

Look I've changed my title!
Total posts: 209
Posted:Do we need a thread that tells the user how to search effectively to find the results they need? If the majority turns out to be "yes", then I will start to put something together to help everyone out smile

anthrax.... it infects, then spreads..... fast

GeoffonTour04
enthusiast
Total posts: 360
Posted:Anyone that dumb shouldn't be allowed to post (j/k), but to be fair the main problem is a post gets made with the word knitting in (for example), and someone sees the word knitting and links to an otherwise completely unrelated thread which is also about knitting. What is the [censored] point people? There are going to be more threads about threads than there are about random crap soon. Discussion is still ok, and chat is still full of drivel so I'd say it's just about how it should be. I think there's a case of the post winter blues goin on but that's about it.

Just wait til all this year's noobs join in summer, then ye'll know the meaning of blah.

ducky2108
ducky2108

A little bit of a board whore
Total posts: 147
Posted:What about an e-mail sent to people when they join, explaining how to use the boards, and about searching and things.

Ancient wiseman say "It is very strange person, who, when left alone in room with teacosy, does not try it on"

GeoffonTour04
enthusiast
Total posts: 360
Posted:That's a gd idea, most places give you a PM telling you where the info is at, and where to go to get started.

Asena
Asena

What a Bummer
Total posts: 3224
Posted:Written by: ducky2108

What about an e-mail sent to people when they join, explaining how to use the boards, and about searching and things.

That isss a good idea... It should start "hear this noob..." and finish with "fail to comply will result in your termination" or something warm and welcoming like that... ubblol hm ok, maybe not, but an automated email to new joiners on HoP sounds like a plan, I would have found one helpful smile

fNi
fNi

master of disaster
Total posts: 3354
Posted:Written by: GeoffonTour04

That's a gd idea, most places give you a PM telling you where the info is at, and where to go to get started.

I don't know about you young'uns, but back in the day ( ubblol ) the first welcome pm from malcolm very nicely explained the rules of the site as well as all the helpful links.

kyrian: I've felt your finger connect with me many times
lou kitten: sneaky little meatball..
ezz: please corrupt me more

Domino
UnNatural Scientist - Currently working on a Breville-legged monkey
Total posts: 757
Posted:Some kind of advice on using the search effectively would be good. I'm guilty too of putting "I searched but..." and getting replys that start with "This thread will help..."

For example, a few tips of choosing the right key word or narrowing down a search so you don't end up with a "bazillion" of irrelevent threads

Give me a lever long enough and a place to stand and I can beat the world into submission.

doctor_fandango
doctor_fandango

co-director of A.C.B.I.S.H.A.
Total posts: 761
Posted:maybe a re-education of posting is in order. like if you are going to talk about a specific point, make the subject relevent as opposed to 'check this out' etc

There's no place like 127.0.0.1, There's no place like 127.0.0.1, There's no place like 127.0.0.1,

"in most of our friends we're the hippies. but we have hippie friends of our own.. its like a dog having its own pet" - H. Sinoquet 19-03-2005

Ade
Are we there yet?
Total posts: 1897
Posted:ditto

what domino and doctor_fandango said smile

cause it doesn't matter how long you've been around some of us can do with a reminder from time to time...