RovoGOLD Member
(the person actually known as Chris Bailey)
544 posts

Posted:
I have been doing alot of throws lately and I stumbled onto this neat little bugger.

With your right poi going reverse wall plane in front you swnig it back behind you and through your legs but instead of letting it spin around and exit behind you like a normal under the leg move grab hold of it with your knee and swing your leg back behind you and let go and the poi will pop up right to eye level with a rotation so you can exit the throw cleanly in the same direction.

I can only do it with the right leg from behind but I know I can grab the poi coming through my legs in the front and wing it in the crook of my knee for 3/4 of a rotation then grab it again so I beleive there might be some potaential for some silly silly stuff to happen here. Crook of neck, elbows armpits etc etc etc could all be used I believe.

Peace, Love, Circles

linden rathenGOLD Member
Carpal \'Tunnel
6,942 posts

Posted:
sounds cool - may have to give it a go

you can do some really nice continous throws from reverse butterfly - the one im trying to master atm is an under arm throw followed stright away with a behind the back throw over the opposite shoulder

ie RH throws under L-arm let the handle spin and catch it at the end of its circle contine the arc behind your back then release letting the poi arc over your left shoulder (your hand should move pretty much in a cirle from release to catch to the second throw)

this can be done alternatly with both left and right poi

back

RovoGOLD Member
544 posts

Posted:
Written by: linden rathen

(your hand should move pretty much in a cirle from release to catch to the second throw)

That bit reminds me of another thing I was messing around with yesterday. Spinning reverse longarm at our sides we would throw one poi pretty high up and when we released we would keep our arm swinging longarm so the poi would be caught by the rotating arm and continute in long arm. I hope that makes sense it does to em but I have a feeling it won't to anyone else.

I start alot of throws form reverse butterfly. It just seemed to be the easiest place to start from when I started learning throw.

Peace, Love, Circles

LazyAngelGOLD Member
Carpal \'Tunnel
2,895 posts

Posted:
elbows can certainly be used for throws and also for spinning. It's the same motion as a huggy move when you use both elbows in a wave pattern (does that make sense?)

big handles help

Because ActiveAngel sounds like a feminine deodorant

Like sex, I'm much more interesting in real life than online.

'Be the change you want to see in the world around you' - Ghandi

Mr ChutneySILVER Member
Tosser
1,712 posts

Posted:
Written by: linden rathen

you can do some really nice continous throws from reverse butterfly - the one im trying to master atm is an under arm throw followed stright away with a behind the back throw over the opposite shoulder

ie RH throws under L-arm let the handle spin and catch it at the end of its circle contine the arc behind your back then release letting the poi arc over your left shoulder (your hand should move pretty much in a cirle from release to catch to the second throw)

this can be done alternatly with both left and right poi

Indeed- Checkout [Old link] for some stuff along this vain biggrin

I like the ideas Rovo biggrin I'm playing with lots of contact wrist rolls and attempting to get into propellors properly, but other relases like the ones you mention I've not really played with smile

RovoGOLD Member
544 posts

Posted:
I can't propellor yet either except for one time last night. I switched out my finger loops for rope knot handles and since my chain is too long I have the screw clamp thingy going through the 8th link down so they are perfectly counterweighted. I made the same length as my socks so now I can do everything I can do with my socks with fire. It ended up being under 10 degrees last night so I didn't get to play with them lit yet but it's going to be great when I do.

I don't know any terms for wibbling but I can do some kind of wibble combo where I throw and tap back the poi once off my right arm then once off my left on the rebound and then catch. It's going to looks so great with fire. Never again will my fire poi use finger loops, darn things are too limiting.

What would contact wrist rolls be exactly and if there is a thread where this is answered could somebody kindly point me in the right direction.

Peace, Love, Circles

Mr ChutneySILVER Member
Tosser
1,712 posts

Posted:
Err- I guess Duncs contact poi thread (tried searching but the server was too busy) would be the best place re the contact wrist roll I mentioned.

Its effectively a couple of rotations of a propellor, performed whilst turning around- spin a poi backwards (as in reverse weave) in your right hand in right side plane. as the head is comingpast its peak, move your hand into the centre of the poi, moving your hand a bit like and isolation, releasing the handle in the process. You should be turning with the movement so now the poi is in wheel plane and you are carrying it back to be in right side plane, continuing to spiral the poi for a further rotation such that it ends up falling nicely into line, the handle slipping back into your hand.

Its not ths difficult, though that description is utterly terrible smile Once I have a camera and a computer capable I'll knock something up for you smile

RovoGOLD Member
544 posts

Posted:
Sweeeeeeeeeet. biggrin

I should probably wander over to that contact poi thread.

I spun for a group of theater people last night and when I wibbled a poi straight up in the air with three rotations before being caught, I think they almost soiled themselves. ubblol

Peace, Love, Circles